Ardmore Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My mind was trying to absorb all he was saying. Papa connected a series of dots and had me marrying Adrienne!

"Incredible!" I thought, before breaking into a huge smile. Of course he got me to commit to a long engagement, at least until Adrienne graduated. He thought I needed to offer that to Mr. Danas when I made my request.

"Adrienne will wait, so there's no need to rush in selecting the ring", he added.

At first I thought he was kidding but his expression had not changed. He easily read my curiosity.

"I've already spoken with her and she's agreeable. You'll learn that the timing of these things is mainly up to her anyway. She's a very determined young lady my son." It was only after he said that that I saw the humor in his eyes.

I walked away that afternoon with a plan, the best part which was that Adrienne would not be told until I had everything set to go. I practiced what to say to her father over the next several days. The actual asking for her hand took less than five minutes. Her father actually hugged me after giving his approval.

Dealing with Gloria was more problematic. Even though she enthusiastically agreed to obtain Adrienne's size and to help me select the ring; she was in every sense a diva. Finally, I had to concede that whatever else my sister was, she did have an eye for jewelry and Adrienne had said on more than one occasion that she thought Gloria had impeccable taste.

Shopping with her however, was pure torture. The first Saturday out we spent the entire afternoon and only visited 2 stores. She investigated every setting and stone, including those I had earlier rejected.

As her 'little' brother and a man, my opinion counted for nothing. She was narrow-minded, arrogant and totally in charge. Even when I mentioned Papa's edict that we purchase the ring from Howard's store she rebuffed me by saying he would buy it from whatever store she selected and still give us a good price. I got the feeling she was planning on dictating to Howard too.

Since my every free waking hour I devoted to Adrienne it took considerable effort to lie to her about my whereabouts on Saturday. I knew I could not pull off two weekends in a row without her being suspicious so I arranged to go out with Gloria the next Thursday afternoon.

Chalk up another afternoon wasted as I was led around like a pet by my five foot two 'witch' of a sister. That's overstating it of course. Gloria really is a good person. She's generous to a fault and she's brilliant to boot. It's just that two days with her and I was rethinking this whole engagement business. I really missed Julia during these ordeals. She had an inherited authority over Gloria that I lacked and would never have.

The final straw came a week later. As a precaution I insisted we go to Howard's store this time. He was to be my buffer. Well we hit the jackpot, Gloria finally finds THE RING and it's perfect. The problem was the price. It was going to cost me at least 3 months pay and I did not have that kind of money available.

Gloria proceeds to browbeat Howard into selling it to me for far below his cost, all the while she is ignoring my continued rejection of the idea. That did it. I wanted to make a deal but I couldn't accept it as a gift from Howard, or from her either. I ended up making my own arrangements with him, to the complete exasperation of my sister. She in turn focused her wrath on Howard like it's his fault for not acting quickly enough.

That's when I learned that he really did care deeply for Gloria. Anyone who could take that kind of verbal assault and still speak calmly back to her was a saint in my book. I sort of understood his position. I would have a considerably difficult time arguing with Adrienne too, that is unless it was over something major. Of course Adrienne's disposition was normally a hell of a lot sweeter than my sister's.

Chapter 12: Stalker's Separation Anxiety

It was on record as the coldest day of the year. Only three weeks before the official beginning of spring and the temperature was in single digits. The sky was overcast, there was snow on the ground, and I, defying the gods, awoke in the absolute best of moods.

Graduation was only a few months away. Of the 120 credits needed for my degree only 9 remained to be completed. That translated into 3 courses, the lightest load for any semester I had had. In addition, my teaching appointment in my home district was guaranteed in September.

In fact, everything I touched turned to gold. But of all the things that were going well in my life, the one that superseded all others was my bond with Adrienne. Tomorrow night I would let her know just how much she meant to me.

My mood was buoyant the entire day. Even after I rid myself of almost three months' pay for the ring, I was still whistling as I left Howard's store and headed to work.

I arrived at the club slightly preoccupied, determined the night would go smoothly. The schedule seemed to want to cooperate. Our first gig was a going away party for a jarhead. While the guys were appreciative and my lady was exceptionally hot, the tips turned out to be quite small.

The second contract was a duo act. It went off without incident. The tips were a little low because the ladies weren't as personable as they should have been. They were newbies at the game. Back in the car I told them a few things I saw, situations they should have picked up on. You would have thought I was their personal manager by the rapt attention they paid me. They were eager enough. They would do well.

The dispatch sheet called for me to pick up Cassie for the last gig of the night. It was our standard contract, a bachelor party in the town of Bristol, just across the line from Philly. Our host was the best man, a guy named Kelsey.

We were beginning a little late, our start time being closer to 1am; but the only thing that caught my eye was type of show. Cassie would be belly dancing first. It was odd for such an audience, but that was the nature of the business. I shook it off as I rang Cassie's doorbell. She wasn't as curious as I was. It was just another contract.

There were about a dozen men in the house. They had obviously been drinking heavily before we arrived. Given the hour, that was to be expected. What I learned by listening to a few side conversations was that Cassie was the third woman working that evening. They had had a tag team prior to our arrival, definitely from another service. That too was a little unusual. I should have caught it but my mind was partially elsewhere.

Cassie spoke with Kelsey who directed her to the bathroom for changing. She was on the job a few minutes later.

One of the guests came in after we arrived, a big guy, slightly taller than me, looking to be about Cassie's age. I noticed him slowly making his way from the back of the pack. His gait seemed odd. I'm used to seeing guys craning their neck to see the ladies, but this guy had a different kind of look. He kept hanging in the background. A couple of the guys called him Wes.

The intended groom sat in the middle of the room watching Cassie's every move. His nostrils flared with each turn and undulation of her midsection. I could see him suck in a breath as her arms waved rhythmically, her hands coming within several inches of his face. He didn't shift to hide his erection but moved his legs wider as if that would entice her.

Cassie must have felt something. She was a pro so I could tell she was giving a guarded performance. Most of the men were enjoying her every movement, all except Wes and a few of his buddies. There was too much whispering amongst them. It struck me that they seemed disinterested in the show. I shook it off and concentrated on the others.

When the first set was finished Cassie went down the hall to change. She returned wearing her Wonder Woman outfit complete with cape. As she began her routine I realized she had left off the lasso. The performance called for the cape to be discarded after the first turn around the room, instead I saw her fold it placing it at the groom's feet. As she put her 'crown' on his head several of the men with Wes began to disperse.

The next thing I knew pandemonium broke out.

Someone pushed the groom aside while another lunged at Cassie. Most of the guests including Kelsey and the groom fled, obviously not part of the plan.

"Hey!" I shouted while moving towards them. If these idiots thought we had money perhaps I could reason with them.

Cassie however, was not caught unawares. She produced a baton from under her cape.

I saw it extend to about two feet, while her assailants paused to look at me. It was a serious mistake for them. The first man caught a down stroke on the bicep and a swat across the face. He went down hard. Wes then blindsided her in a bear hug.

"Eddie, stop that fucker" he ordered.

I was jerked from my advance and placed in a full nelson. Actually I smelled the alcohol reeking from him a split second earlier. My attacker laced his fingers behind my head forcing my face downward and my chin into my chest, just as I caught sight of Cassie being backhanded.

When he hit her my countenance changed. This was not some robbery or a mere brawl; we were in for the fight of our lives!

On its face my opponent had me in a good hold, except that the big man exposed his fingers. It was a vulnerability I searched for first, for I simply took hold of one finger and pulled back with all my might. He screamed like a banshee. It must have hurt like hell.

As he withdrew his hold, I went limp, slid down to the floor in one fluid move and twisted towards him. He should not have tried to grab me, it really only succeeded in pissing me off. After my arms were free I brought a swift uppercut to his testicles, then slid back to avoid his collapse.

Another goon in front lunged at me with a knife and I was able to chop at his wrist sending the knife flying, all while I fell backward letting my body go with the momentum. He misjudged my movements and lost his balance while advancing downwards. I tucked in my knees and then pushed causing his torso to ride my feet. He went flying behind me. Whatever he hit made a loud crash followed almost immediately by sounds of moaning.

Cassie was half a room away struggling with Wes and his associate. I saw that man slap her while she lay before him. The blow caused her legs to give way and she unknowingly kicked the baton towards me. She came back clawing, that is until Wes punched her square in the stomach.

As I moved in their direction I was hit in the back of my head. On another day I would have gone down and stayed down, but the adrenaline was already flowing too generously. I feigned injury and rolled towards Cassie, grabbed the fallen baton and came up swinging at her attackers.

My hardest strike was reserved for Wes. I'm sure I broke his arm as he covered up. I had been aiming for his throat before he put up his guard. His man on top of her took one to his ear. That's when my progress was stopped. A third man had me pinned under him. I was just making my move as I felt his body lurch then spasm as he went limp.

That was the last thing I clearly remember, there were more sounds of a scuffle then everything went dark.

I awoke with a start. I had been asleep on a couch. Fortunately, I recognized the room. I was at Cassie's. As I turned I caught sight of her sitting in a recliner. Although her cheek was obviously bruised, she had a sad smile on her face as our eyes met.

"Are you OK?" I said, finally getting command of my voice.

"I'm fine, only a few bruises, and I ache in odd places, but nothing is broken. You however, need to lie quietly." She responded.

"How?"

She leaned forward. "You should know. You made it possible."

"I remember some of the fight alright, but I don't remember leaving. I take it you drove us here?" To that question I got a nod. "Thanks," I added.

"What did the police say?"

"I didn't call them."

My look must have been clear for she then added, "There's nothing they can do. There were no witnesses, none that would back our story anyway. It's our word against theirs. I called Rui instead."

I tried to sit up again and realized my head and neck hurt like hell. I felt in back touching the bandage that had been placed there, all the while never losing sight of Cassie. "Why Rui? The contract was satisfied. This guy Kelsey is still a good risk on the books. Did you want to flag him for future bookings?" I blurted sarcastically and regretted as quickly.

Cassie tilted her head slightly as she gave me an odd look. It took a moment to realize my insensitivity. She had been assaulted in an attempted rape and all I could talk about was the business end, trying to assess whether we should continue to service Kelsey in the future. My sarcasm was inappropriate for the time. Certainly she had sought more from Rui. I wondered when I became this person who could joke so casually about rape. She got up before I could apologize.

I managed to get my feet under me and walk the distance of the room to the kitchen. She was standing in front of the refrigerator with her back to me as I approached.

"I'm sorry, I..." Before I could finish she turned and fell into my arms burying her face in my chest. I could feel the wetness from her tears and the shaking of her upper body as she cried. All I could do was hold her and wait for her to cry herself out.

After those early months spent lusting after this woman and wanting to have her in my arms, when it happened, it was like holding one of my sisters. She had been my fantasy for so long, but now in my embrace, she was my friend and my thoughts only focused on her pain. As the minutes passed, I remembered Wes and his buddies and what had been a deep sadness was gradually replaced by throbbing anger.

When Cassie quieted I broke contact, but we still stood extremely close. It occurred to me that the apartment was unusually quiet. Looking at the wall clock, I saw that it was close to seven thirty. Sydney was probably at mass. Perhaps I could use her as a lever to get Cassie to call the police.

"You need to wash up. Sydney shouldn't see you like this. I take it that she doesn't know about last night?"

Her eyes grew wide as I said that. It was just the confirmation I needed, so I continued.

"Look, you don't have to make a police report. I'll tell them that I was the only one that was attacked. You were being held at the time. Then you got to me after they left. This knot on the back of my head should help making the story believable. Will you back me?"

She stood there no looking at me, not acknowledging my request. "We have to do SOMETHING. These people are dangerous." I shouted.

I saw her eyes go soft at that moment. She brought me in for another hug, squeezing me gently. This time it was she who broke the union, only now she no longer had that soft look. Her eyes now displayed a steely resolve.

"I called Rui. I told him all about what happened and that I had no intention of calling the police. That covers you too. I know that we could have both been killed; it was probably in their plans. I wanted Rui to know that. Now he does and he'll handle it."

She took a deep breath before continuing.

"Carmine Ruibessi does not allow this to happen to his ladies. Kelsey obviously doesn't know who he really crossed by joining Wes in his plan. He was very foolish."

"You almost sound like you feel sorry the guy. He sat us up. I don't care if he didn't stay, he sat us up!"

"And for that he may not live past the night. I don't know Kelsey; I only know he didn't attack us." She said as she stared wistfully at the floor. "They've disrespected someone who tolerates no disrespect."

"I don't understand."

"You don't do you? I can see that. Rui is supposedly connected. They say the club isn't his only business, though its operations are legitimate to a fault. His principal operation is money lending. I don't know if that's true, but I do know he can do things the police cannot. He will take care of it his way."

"'OK l'll grant that. The less we know about what he intends to do the better. Tell me, what's your history with this guy Wes?"

"How did you know?"

"That's my job, to be observant. Mainly I keep my eyes on the customers but I'm watching you too. On a good night, that's all I do. You notice how there's always a mood, a flow sort of to each gig?" Cassie nodded her agreement.

"Well, the flow was off, and it changed when Wes came into the room. More importantly, I saw how your body reacted when you saw him. The strain showed in your calves."

"My calves?"

"Yeah, your stride was hesitant and too short." Her look said she did not understand. "Trust me, it's enough to know I recognized it. What's this guy to you?"

"About two years ago we had a run in at the club. In fact, he's one of the reasons I started doing more outcall work, to avoid creeps like him." She was now looking away from me as she told the story. Her gaze was centered on Sydney's room. I waited for her to continue.

"I was working the floor when Wes caught my attention. We talked; he bought a dance and tips me a fifty, so I stayed to flirt a little longer. Next thing I know we're upstairs where he wants a private party. That's when his manner changed.

"He's talking to me the whole time. Telling me what he wants to do with me, like I'm his slave, the asshole. Anyway, I'm a few minutes into my routine when he decides to play grab ass. For some reason Marty (the bouncer) was slow on the uptake so I let the first touch slide but warned him. Instead of backing off, his hands move to the back of my g-string and he's sticking a finger up my butt. That's when I slapped him."

"Marty is there in a flash and Wes decides to challenge him. You've seen Marty. You know how big he is. Well, Wes takes him down. That's when I got scared and ran toward the doors. Out of nowhere Rui appears with Albert, like he's been watching the whole thing."

"He and Wes get into it, though it's just a verbal deal at that point, nothing physical. They exchange words, but it's a guarded conversation. I've seen Rui angry before, it shows in his face. I know he's at his limit with Wes but he's restrained the entire time, like he wants to boot the guy but he can't, and Wes is acting cocky. Then after some more words Albert escorts him out the club."

"A couple weeks later I spot Wes in my dry cleaners. He's eyeing me the entire time and follows me out to the parking lot. All the while he's staring, no words, just that same look he had tonight. It gave me the creeps."

"I called Rui when I got home and he told me he would take care of it. That was the last I saw of him, until tonight that is."

The story had too familiar a ring. I was feeling more and more uncomfortable. I knew this business, knew that four of five dancers have someone follow them home at some point in their working life. Furthermore, statistically four out of ten got stalked. Those were the stats. I knew them from my research, but I had not internalized them until that moment. They had not had a face until now. Cassie fit the pattern.

Wes knew too much. I was betting that he knew about this apartment and that he would not be put off forever by tonight's fight. Then there was Cassie herself. She let her ego put us both at risk.

Dancers can grow to assume that they can talk their way out of almost any situation. Years of manipulating men can give them a false sense of their own superiority. They also become accustomed to acting alone. She could have given me some indication of the possible danger. There had been the perfect opportunity between changes. Instead she went on with the show, but carried the baton in preparation. Did she think she alone could prevent them from killing us if we were overcome?