Army Brat Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The fans were restless as they waited for the umpire's decision. Finally both managers walked out of the discussion both looking pissed. The second base umpire looked at Danny and Corey and with one motion turned and pointed towards the exit gate by the dugout. "WHAT?" Danny yelled. "You're kicking us out?"

"Not you son," the umpire said as the fans started booing. "Luckily you didn't catch the other player."

"But..."

"Let it go Danny," Corey said. "We don't need you getting ejected too."

As Corey walked off the field to the loud boos from the fans the coach walked over to Danny. "I need you to take short."

"Coach, Corey didn't do anything."

"The umpire said that he started it."

Danny was upset but kept his cool. He moved over to short and had trouble at first getting the range on his throws to first base.

With Todd and Corey out the game stayed scoreless. With a runner on second with two outs in the seventh inning Danny walked to the plate. The pitcher was not that fast but had a lot of other pitches including a change up that he used effectively.

Danny stepped in without expecting a fast ball. The first pitch was low and the second one outside. With first base open he knew the pitcher was being very careful. He also knew that if he threw another ball that their manager would intentionally walk him. Danny called time out and moved out to talk to Coach Wright.

"What's wrong?" The coach asked.

"If I get another ball I think that they will walk me," Danny said. "I mean that's ok but I would like to get a pitch to hit."

The coach too wanted Danny to hit. "What do you want to do?"

"Even if the pitch is out of the strike zone I want to swing at it. If the pitcher gets ahead in the count I think he might challenge me."

The coach smiled. "Go for it."

Danny moved back into the batters box and waited for the pitch. He saw the pitch heading high and outside and lunged to hit it but missed. With the count two and one he swung again at a ball low almost in the dirt. Now with an even count of two and two he figured the pitcher was coming at him.

Danny expected the change up and waited for it. He timed it perfectly and drove the ball down the first base line. As he rounded first he saw the base runner rounding third. "GO.....GO!" he yelled knowing that they only needed him to score.

The right fielder grabbed the ball on one bounce and rifled the ball towards home. Danny stepped on second and turned to watch as the runner smashed into the catcher who was blocking the plate. Their bodies smashed back onto the ground. The fans were standing watching the dust clear and the bodies untangling. The umpire waited to see if the ball was still in the catcher's mitt but it was empty. He didn't see the ball until the catcher rolled over.

"SAFE!"

The Panthers had won the state championship. A huge celebration erupted on the field and then in the dugout. Danny was named the most valuable player in the tournament and the news reporters were waiting for him as the team walked out towards the bus.

"Danny! Are you going to college or to the pros?" A cute blonde reporter yelled. "We hear that you might be the number one draft pick."

Danny smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure." He looked at Ellen who was standing with the families by the bus. "I guess we need to talk."

School was almost out and the college recruiters called or texted almost everyday. Ellen and Danny sat with their parents to make a decision.

"Let's go around the table," Danny said looking at Allan first.

"College," Allan said. "I know that you might be the first pick and get a huge signing bonus but you are still young." He looked at Ellen. "Both of you are."

"Mom?"

"We don't need the signing bonus. Money is not an issue so I agree with Allan."

"Ellen?"

"I don't care about money or even college. I just want us to be together."

They all looked at Danny who looked back at his mother. "What would dad want me to do?"

Janet sat back. "Wow. I'm not sure. When you were born he said that you would be a better baseball player than he was. But once a news reporter asked him if he wanted you to grow up and be like him. He said.....he said that he wanted you to not make the same mistake that he did."

"And...."

"He never finished it but we both knew that he wished that he had gone to college first. Danny we made the decision to go into the pros because we needed the money. We needed the money because we wanted you to have what we didn't have."

"A chance to go to college." Danny finished.

Danny and Ellen took a walk after dinner. "I'll be turning down at least a two million dollar signing bonus."

"I know." She held his hand tighter. "But who says that you still won't be offered one after you finish college?"

"True," he grinned. "I want what is best for us."

"I didn't want to tell you yet but I got a letter from Georgia today. They accepted me."

"I thought that they turned you down already."

"They did. I guess the baseball coach had a long talk with them."

"Yeah, he's been after me for a few months now. But what if I decide to go pro or go somewhere else?"

"They said I would still be eligible."

"What do you want to do?" He asked. "Everyone keeps asking me but I want what you want."

"GO BULLDOGS!"

*****

The news media jumped all over the fact that Danny had turned down millions to go to school. Since he was staying in Georgia his popularity in the state was astounding. To make it even better Corey and Jimmy also accepted full rides to the U of G.

The wedding was rushed ahead before Danny and Ellen left for school. It was a huge ceremony that filled the Panther baseball stadium. Huge tents were erected in the outfield and only the best music and food was on display. Ellen was Janet's maid of honor and Danny served as Allan's best man. Grandma was picked to be the flower girl.

As the wedding party sat down at the huge front table Danny stood up with his champagne glass to make a toast. The stadium was completely silent.

"I'd like to make a toast to the wedding couple. It is my honor to be selected as best man by my new dad because not only has he made my mother very happy we have developed a special relationship as well. As you all know I lost my father not too long ago and an immense emptiness filled my heart. I'm happy to say that a lot of that emptiness has gone away. Thanks mostly to my new family.

People have asked Ellen and me about having our parents dating. At first we didn't think it was such a good idea. But then what happened was that the love we had crossed over to each other." He stopped and grinned at Ellen.

"So before I make the toast I have something to do." Danny put down the champagne and walked around his mother and new father. He dropped to his knees next to Ellen and took her hand.

"Ellen will you marry me?"

"Oh my God," Janet said with tears running from eyes. She hugged Allan as they all looked at the shocked girl.

Ellen took a deep breath and lifted Danny up to face her.

"YES! I WILL MARRY YOU!"

The whole stadium suddenly broke out in huge applause. It was a bonus none of them had planned on. They watched as Danny and Ellen kissed and then the four of them hugged.

Danny moved back to the microphone. "Wait! Please be seated!"

He held up the champagne glass again. "To a very special couple. May their lives be filled with lots of love and happiness!" The six hundred guests took a drink and then clapped.

It was later as Danny danced with his mother that she smacked his butt. "You should have said something."

"I'm sorry to steal some of your show but I thought that it was a good time."

"It was," Janet whispered. "But when are you planning on getting married?"

"We will wait until at least our junior year," Danny answered. "As long as you can help us with the rent."

"Since you are turning down millions of dollars I think we can afford to support you two for a while."

It was later as Allan and Janet made their way around the tables that they stopped and picked up little Andy. As Janet swung him around in her arms on the dance floor Aunt Helen pulled Allan aside.

"I didn't want to tell you during the wedding ceremony but I received a letter today from Maria."

"What did she want?"

"It's not what she wants. It's what she doesn't want." She turned and looked at Andy who was laughing while pretending to dance with Janet.

"Andy. My son?"

"He's yours if you want him," Aunt Helen smiled.

"Oh my god," Allan said with more happy tears. "This is the best day of my life." He ran over to Janet and Andy and hugged them in the middle of the dance floor. Aunt Helen watched as he whispered to his new wife. She waited for Janet's reaction and knew that it was good when she turned Andy to her and kissed his forehead.

Andy wiped off the kiss which made everyone laugh.

It was a few weeks later as the family walked towards the boat. Danny stopped and grinned as he read the boats new name.

"BULA-BULA."

*****

Ending note: Some of you still would like for this story to go on so I left out the epilog in case I might want to do it someday. I received a lot of emails telling me about their lives as Army Brats and how this story brought back some good memories. We should all think about what sacrifices the families of our service men and women go through and make sure we support them in any way we can. Thanks again, send me your thoughts and don't forget to vote. Love you.....Slick. Bula-bula.