Ashley Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Friday night at last, one hour before I was to take my sister out on our date. I was all dressed and ready to go, barring the untied tie around my neck. My hair had been neatly combed, cologne had been sprayed from head to toe, and a dozen Tic-Tacs were keeping my breath minty fresh. But judging by the volume of Ashley's voice, she didn't sound quite as ready. f For the umpteenth time, I tried to tie a decent knot in front of my full-length mirror.

"Need help with that?"

I turned around, sighting my kid sister at the door. "Hey Nikky, do you know how to tie this?"

"I can give it a shot. Take a seat so I can reach."

Sitting on a stool, I watched Nikky fasten the red cloth around my neck into a neat tie. It took her all but ten seconds to make. She stepped to the side so I could stand up and inspect myself. My reflection showed me what I wanted to see: a suave, love-struck kid dressed to impress.

"How did you get so good at this?" I asked.

"Dad has me do it for him when he doesn't want mom to know he can't do it himself. I've gotten a lot of practice in the past year."

I traced the silk blade with my forefinger. A man couldn't have asked for a better knot. "Thanks, Nikky. Maybe you can teach me how to tie this one of these days."

Her tiny feet padded across the carpet. "Sure thing. Just drop by my room when you want your first lesson." Nikky stopped short of the doorway. Her voice trailed off into the hallway. "Have fun on your date with Ashley."

You know those mirrors at carnival funhouses, the ones that make you look fat and skinny, tall and short, and completely distorted all at the same time? That's what it felt like I was staring into all of a sudden. "Nikky, what did you just say?"

"I said have fun on your date."

"You said Ashley's name."

"I know."

I nearly tripped on my feet as I stumbled after Nikky. "But I'm not going on a date with her. I'm going with someone else."

"No, you're not. You're going with Ashley." She sounded so cold and distant. Was I that bad of a liar?

I grabbed my youngest sibling to me and shut the door. She offered no resistance as I carried her to the edge of my bed. "Did Ashley tell you something about tonight?"

Her eyes were cast down at her feet. "No, nothing. I was leaving to talk to her right now."

"So she hasn't told you who she's going with?"

"Ashley hasn't said a word about the date to me the entire week."

"Then how do you know about us?"

"It's not hard to figure out." Nikky stared at our hands, an improvement over her feet. "Brian, I'm twelve years-old, soon to be thirteen. I'm starting middle school next year, which is only two years from high school, which is almost college like you and Ashley. I'm not a kid anymore. I know these things."

"I don't understand how it's possible. Does that mean you've seen us..."

"Hugging like you haven't seen each other in years? Getting googly-eyed when you two are in the same room? Kissing like you're both..." Nikky quickly looked away. She must have been so ashamed of us. "Yeah, I have seen you. Both of you."

"Nikky, you're not supposed to..." Not supposed to know that her big sister and brother had been intimate? Not supposed to know the two people she looked up to the most had betrayed her trust? Not supposed to know that she had been put to the side for her sibling's own private happiness? I had no comforting words for her. Of all the people who could have found out about us, why did it have to be the person I least expected?

Nicole was so young. She had enough problems a regular twelve year-old had to deal with. Discovering a secret affair between her sister and brother shouldn't have to be one of them. I could only imagine what she was feeling. Most of it must have been negative.

I squeezed Nikky in my arms tighter than I ever squeezed Ashley. It may have felt that way because she was so much smaller. "Please don't hate your sister. This isn't her fault. She loves you so much and would never do anything to hurt you. Blame me for taking things this far. Just don't think of Ashley any less. She would be devastated if she lost your trust."

"I'm not angry or anything like that," she appeased. "I'm okay, honestly. It doesn't bother me at all."

Talks with Ashley were so much easier. With her, I could tell when she was telling me the truth. With Nicole, she could have said the sky was green and I'd believe her. "You haven't told anyone about Ashley and me, have you? Your friends, mom, dad?"

"No one. It's none of my business so I haven't told anyone." A bit of Ashley's wisdom was surely instilled in her.

"Can you promise me you'll keep it that way? If not for me, then for your big sis? No one can know about us. Someday, but not yet."

"I promise. I've been keeping it a secret for a year now. I can do it for a hundred more if I have to."

A year? Ashley and I shared our first kiss two weeks ago. What could have led her to believe we'd been together for that long?

"Nikky, are you sure you're okay with this? I'd hate to think you spend so much time at your friend's house because you want to get away from us."

"No way, that's not the reason. I really like playing at my friend's house. It doesn't have anything to do with what you and Ashley are doing together." Nicole put a short arm around my back. It was the first time she had ever tried to comfort me. "I love Ashley a lot. Sometimes I act bratty around you but I love you a lot too. I'm happy that you guys are happy. You two are perfect each other and I want us all to stay happy."

Nicole hadn't been my biggest worry in this relationship, but to have her blessing meant so much more than I could have possibly imagined. "I think you're more mature than Ashley when she was your age."

"I know," she smiled. "Brian, since I promised you something, you have to promise me something."

"Sounds fair. What is it you want me to promise?"

"I want you to promise me, that when you're on your date with Ashley tonight, you won't let what I told you get in the way of it. Do what you plan to do and don't worry about me. I'm a big girl; I can handle this. Can you promise me that?"

"I promise. I would do anything for you and Ashley."

She playfully fought me off as I hugged her again. "Can I go now? I'm supposed to help Ashley with her hair."

I let Nicole up from my bed. "Are you going to tell her what you told me?"

"I caused enough trouble for one night. My lips are sealed." She zipped her fingers across her lips before vanishing into the hallway.

As I absent-mindedly made final preparations for the night, I thought back to the discussion I had with my father, and to an extent, with mom. They had it wrong when they told me to be careful with Ashley. It wasn't her that I had to worry about, but my other younger sister.

The secret's out. It was too late for me to try and hide it from Nicole. I didn't know how I was going to do it, but I was determined not to let this be a repeat of what happened to my dad and his family. I promised him I wouldn't hurt my sisters; I also promised Ashley I wouldn't let our relationship get in the way of our family; and I promised Nikky that I would carry on with the evening as planned. I just hoped I hadn't promised more than I could handle.

I idled my time with the news in the living room. Distasteful as it may be, maybe the troubles of others would make mine seem insignificant. That didn't happen. The mundane rambling of the news reporter almost put me to sleep. Apparently a monkey was swinging amok at the local zoo and throwing souvenirs at guests. Too bad there wasn't any footage of it.

My ears perked to the distinct click-click of high heels from the hallway. I hopped up from the sofa, and turned to see my lovely sister looking more glamorous than ever.

Ashley had gone all out for the evening. Crimson red lipstick, curled eyelashes, dark eye shadow, gold hoop earrings, a stack of bracelets on each wrist. She didn't look like the same young eighteen year-old girl I saw coming out of the shower two hours earlier. Ashley looked ready to walk the red carpet of an award ceremony and steal the paparazzi from every big-name celebrity.

Yet it would be her dress that would be the most-talked about headline in Hollywood magazines. The dress was a pitch black number that hugged her waist and flared out midway down her thighs. The top was like a halter that left her shoulders exposed, with a deep V-neckline nearing her navel. There was a silver jewel detail at the bottom of the neckline in the design of the sun. The dress was classy, sexy, and perfect for the woman wearing it.

Ashley strutted to where I gawked in amazement. " You're probably tired of me asking this but how do I look?"

"You look... you look..." It didn't matter what I say to her. No compliment would have done her justice. "Jeez Ash, you look smoking hot. You're going to make every guy within a hundred miles jealous of me. That dress is just... wow. Mom actually let you pick that?"

"Mom's cooler than you think. She encouraged me to pick this one." Ashley performed a graceful twirl to show off the rest of her gown. Her entire back, from her shoulders to her waistline, was bare. There was a strap behind a neck for where the halter top tied together. "Mom likes the backside the best. She said it looks good because I don't have any tan lines. Almost makes me look topless, doesn't it?"

I dumbly nodded.

"You look smoking hot too, Bry. Come over here so I can have a better look."

As she pressed down the collar of my leather jacket and complimented me on my striped dress shirt and charcoal slacks, our parents entered through the living room door.

"Whoa, you guys look snazzy," Ashley said to them. "Where were you guys, and what's the occasion for the fancy clothes?"

Mom was wearing a dress much like Ashley's, but without as much skin revealed. "Hello, kids. We were next door having a cup of tea with the Morrisons while we waited for Nikky to gather her things. As for the fancy clothes, your father suggested we join your Uncle Vince at Club Shooter for a night of dancing. Since you all have plans tonight, we don't want to stay home with the house all to ourselves and be seen as boring parents."

Dad was dressed similarly to me, but in lighter colors. He patted me heartily on the back. "Talk about doing your old man proud, son. You look a whole new man in these clothes. And Ashley, you look... you look... wow."

Like father, like son.

Ashley turned her body side to side the way a shy, little girl would. "Daddy, you're making me blush. If you don't stop staring, you're going to make mom jealous."

"It's hard not to stare when my little girl looks so grown up. You are going to make your date one happy man. I wish I could stick around to meet him but we're sort of in a hurry now. Where's Nikky? We need to take her to her friend's house before we meet up with Vincent."

"I'm right here," Nicole announced. How long she had been standing in the hallway, none of us knew. "I've been waiting forever for you guys."

"I'm sorry, sweetie. Brian and Ashley were still getting ready when we went next door and we thought you'd be a while too."

"Dad," she groaned condescendingly, "I was getting ready for a sleepover, not a date. It takes me five minutes to pack my things."

Her feistiness had him chuckling. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry again, sweetie. Let's get you out of here." Dad directed his attention to Ashley and me. "I'm not sure how long we'll be out for so don't wait up for us. We trust you both enough not to give you curfews, but that doesn't mean you can come home tomorrow morning." Specifically at me now. "Brian, if you're not in a hurry, can you stay with Ashley until her date arrives?"

"Not a problem. You don't have to worry about us staying out late either."

Ashley reaffirmed, "Brian and I will be at home safe and sound before you and mommy are done dancing. Have fun with Uncle Vince and Sophie."

There were plenty of mushy hugs to go around while we said our goodbyes. A person would think we were leaving a family reunion instead of splitting up for a single night.

Nikky hugged me for an exceptionally long time compared to the others. "Have fun on your date. Don't worry about what I said earlier. Just do what you promised me."

"I will, and thanks again. Have fun at your sleepover."

Nicole and our parents were soon out the door. Ashley and I were left behind to stare at each other, unsure of what to make of the sudden change of events.

"Did you know mom and dad were going out?" Ashley quickly asked.

"I didn't even notice they were missing. How do you think they got ready so quickly?"

"Years of practice. Remember all their late nights when we were kids?"

Those weekends were the most fun I had as an eight year-old. "Our babysitter was the richest teenager on the block."

I surveyed the sparsely populated room, assessing our situation. My imagination ran wild at the possibilities. "Hey Ash, guess what."

Ashley slid her hands beneath my jacket, her imagination also at work. "A number between one a ten?"

"That and we're home alone. Do you know what that means?"

"Yep, I do." She friskily pulled our bodies together, her sweet fragrance surrounding us.

We had the house all to ourselves, with no interruptions in sight. It was hard for me to dismiss the temptation of skipping the first half of our date.

Ashley didn't find it nearly as difficult. Her mischievous grin turned into a sweet smile, which didn't look all that different from her grin. "Brian, we can stay home every other night. It's not often we get to go out on a date. I really want to do this."

After all the things I had gone through to make this date happen, it would be a shame to waste my efforts. And deep down, I wanted to have this date too.

"Yeah, so do I. But before we head out, there's something I need to give you to make this date official. Wait here, okay?" I left a dust trail in my wake as I rushed through the living room, past the kitchen, and outside into the backyard. I looped around to the front of our house and rang the doorbell. Call it silly and sickly cute, but this was my sister's first date, and I wanted to give her the full date experience.

Ashley, naturally, opened the door. She thought I was crazy until she saw what I was holding. "Brian, just what are you—oh my gosh. These flowers, they're so beautiful. Just look at all the different colors. They smell so nice too. You even got me chocolate. Thank you, Bry. This is already starting to turn out to be the perfect date."

My aunt said she outdid herself when I came to pick up the bouquet earlier, and after seeing my sister's reaction, I didn't doubt it.

I invited myself into the house and handed over the gifts. "There, it's official. Our date has now begun." As she placed the flowers and heart-shaped box of chocolates on the coffee table, I hung my right arm out to my side. "Ready to get going?"

Ashley hooked her left arm around it. "Ready as I'll ever be." Walking alongside each other, we took the first steps toward our first date.

Ashley stared out the side window as I exited the freeway to her dream restaurant. "So where to," she finally asked, unable to hold off any longer.

"Some fancy place that supposedly has good food. I've never been there myself but it's what everyone else keeps telling me. The restaurant is up ahead a couple more blocks."

Instead of resuming our game of twenty questions, Ashley opted to wait patiently. With each turn I took and each street I passed, the possible choices of restaurants got slimmer and slimmer. She was methodically deducing where I was taking her. As we neared the source of spotlights illuminating the darkening sky, her mouth curled into an increasingly wide smile. Not one to disappoint, I drove up to a valet parking sign in front of an upscale restaurant.

Ashley grabbed my right arm, preventing me from exiting the car. "Oh my gosh, this better not be some kind of mean prank. Are we actually eating here at Amalfi's?"

"Nope, I just forgot directions to the place I wanted to take you. I want to ask these guys for help." Her expression changed so radically from ecstatic to crestfallen that I almost burst out laughing. "Ash, I'm kidding. We're eating here."

The valet driver opened her door just in time to see her punch my shoulder.

Ashley's fit of rage was short-lived. As we were escorted into the trendy restaurant, she oooh'ed and ahhh'ed at all the little details she saw in magazines and the web. We were seated at a candlelit table in the middle of a spacious and somewhat isolated dining area.

"Oh my gosh, this is so cool," Ashley chirped. " How did you get reservations to this place? You didn't have to do anything illegal, did you?"

"Don't worry, babe, my criminal record is still clean. Just pick anything that tickles your taste buds and enjoy. You can make it up to me in bed."

"I'm going to make it up to you in bed and everywhere else I get you all alone. Gosh, this is so amazing. I don't know what to pick."

As I browsed the menu, I wasn't sure what I wanted to pick either. It wasn't the food selection that stumped me but the little numbers beside them. Lillian wasn't kidding when she warned the previous week that it cost fifty dollars for a lobster claw. All the choices were exorbitantly priced. Even with Alyson handling part of the bill, my wallet would still take a huge hit. Nevertheless, I was determined to treat my sister to a extraordinary dinner, by any greens necessary.

Unable to decide what I wanted to eat, I went to Plan B, which was to use the recommendations Aly gave me when we were finalizing the details of my dinner. Ashley was impressed by my newfound knowledge of fine cuisine, and she agreed to the four course meal I ordered for the both of us.

"You look a little funny in that tie," Ashley said, dipping her fried dumplings into a puddle of soy sauce.

I gulped down on my morsel of filet mignon. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"A good thing. I'm surprised you know how to tie it."

"Actually, Nikky did it for me. She's a pretty talented kid."

"Really? That's so nice of her. She helped me too with my hair."

"I don't doubt it. Your hairdo is like a work of art. What's that style called?"

Ashley felt up the intricate loops upon loops of golden hair on her head. "This simple thing? It's called an up-do. Only took an hour to make."

I cracked a small joke on how I was glad I wasn't in her heels for once. The chatter was light and frivolous, and it had been for the past hour. Although I was very much enjoying her company, I couldn't help but think that for what was supposed to be our special night, the conversation felt a little shallow. It's one thing to be on a first date with someone you recently met, but another to be on a first date with someone you have known for all but two years of your life.

I thought back to the advice Natalia gave me earlier in the week. I waited for my sister to take a drink of her iced tea before asking, "Where do you see yourself in the future?"

Ashley was put off by the immediate transition. "What do you mean? Like a week from now? A month? The end of the summer?"

"Yeah, you can start with those."

"Hmm, next week our uncle is getting married, so I guess I see myself at his wedding. Then my birthday is coming up, so I see myself one year older within the month. And at the end of the summer, I hope to have a job by then. That little shopping spree we had on Wednesday set me back a lot more than I expected."

"If you're short on money, I'm sure mom and dad wouldn't mind increasing your allowance. They are handling college for the both of us. I'm sure extra cash for important things like lingerie wouldn't set them back too much. You can always make it up to them when you become a world-renowned physicist. That has to pay a pretty hefty sum, right?"

1...1011121314...19