Athelstan's Mercy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

* * * * *

"My mother's name-day came and Aske and Siggerith arrived at our farm. The adults were soon chatting as old friends do and I was told to take Siggerith out to the barn to show her a newborn calf. I did so gladly but was still shy in her company. She was easy with me, though, and it wasn't too long before we were playing together as if we had been friends all our lives. I took her down to the woods to show her a squirrel's drey and we watched the tiny red kittens take their first steps along the branches. I can remember the mother squirrel scolding them when they failed to follow her. She was chattering away like an old fishwife and it made us laugh.

"Have you noticed, sir, that when you share laughter with someone, it sort of brings you closer together? I think it does anyway. Well, that's how it started. After that I was always looking for an excuse to go the Grantanbrycg and Siggerith found reasons to visit the farm. Our parents never said anything at the time but we learned that they were pleased. This was what they had all hoped for but had left it up to the two of us. Well, sir, as you know, things start to change soon after the age of ten. It happened with Siggerith first. I used to tease her that her bum was spreading and soon she was more woman than girl, if you know what I mean. For a little while we grew apart a bit. I was still a child and she was something more; but I grew to match her and we began to see each other differently."

Hereward realised that the boy was no longer talking to him but simply remembering out loud. He stopped making any replies and watched Thori's eyes. They were open but did not see the crude surroundings or the rough stone walls. They were focussed on an earlier, happier time. Hereward knew the boy spoke from the heart. There was much in Thori's tale that reminded him of his own youth and wooing of Elfgirda. 'I see no falsehood in this lad,' he thought. 'If the rest of the tale's as true, we will yet serve the King's justice.' Thori, for his part, was unaware of the old Saxon's scrutiny. He was lost in memory, bittersweet though it was.

"By the time we were both fourteen, we had an understanding. Siggerith was still more forward in certain ways than I was. I was almost more interested in my weapon training than I was in women. It struck me odd that she would want to kiss and touch as much as she did. I found it pleasant enough but it stirred strange feelings in me that I couldn't put a name to at the time. I found these feelings a bit disturbing, frightening maybe. Of course I knew how mating happened. I'm a farm boy. I'd led the bull to the heifers often enough. Somehow I didn't connect any of that with the way I was feeling; at least not at first.

"One day we were out gathering blackberries for my mother and stopped in the woods to rest a while. Like always at those times, Siggerith would slide over and sit beside me, her head on my shoulder. This time, when she kissed me, it was full on the mouth and her tongue pressed against my mouth and slipped between my lips. She was most fierce in her kissing then and I, still much of a boy, knew not how to act. She took my hand and put it on her breast and made a small noise, deep in her throat. I found myself getting hard then, like I do sometimes at night, and the feel of her breast and the touch of her lips was driving me mad. I had the urge to do something else but didn't know what. Siggerith did, though; she unlaced her bodice and pushed my hand inside so now I could feel her breast against my palm, with no clothing in between.

"In all my life I never felt anything so perfect. It was like magic. It was soft and warm and yet firm at the same time. Her little nubs grew hard under my touch and I divined that this was the centre of her pleasure for she grew wilder when I rubbed them. I swear I could have died for joy right there. She filled me up. I can't say it better. I thought my soul had flown away to heaven.

"I must have been like a mooncalf to her for all I could do was grasp her and swear I loved her. My tool was fit to burst my breechs, and I was amazed when she seized me there and I think I groaned aloud. Before I knew it, my breechs were down and she was stroking me. It was only a few brief moments before I spent myself. This seemed to please her mightily and she said it was enough for the nonce but she would show me true happiness once we were wed. I tell you, Lord, that I don't think I could have been more happy then at that moment. I bent and kissed her breasts but she stopped me after a brief time and said that we should return to our blackberrying.

"After that, we would contrive to repeat the adventure whenever we had the chance. Once she took me in her mouth and jumped away in surprise when I spurted. My seed was in her hair and on her face but she just laughed and said and she needed to practice. Once she let me touch her sex and shuddered and moaned and carried on so that I thought I had hurt her. Again she laughed at my discomfort and bade me wait 'til we were wed so she could show me all her mysteries. One thing I swear by the Blessed Virgin, all the Saints and the honour of my kin, Lord. In all our time together she remained a maiden. I loved her far to much to do her any dishonour."

Hereward watched as Thori's mind slowly returned to the present. There were tears in the boy's eyes and he turned his face away to hide his shame. Hereward sighed. "Don't fret, lad, it's clear you loved her deeply. There is no shame in such sorrow." He paused. "Now tell me how she came to die."

"As I told the King, Lord, we were betrothed at the New Year. We Danes still believe that this is a lucky time, but it wasn't for us. Soon after, Aske died and Siggerith came to live under our roof. Of course, she was much saddened by her father's death but found respite with my family. She had never known her mother well and she and my mother grew close, as women will.

"One day, at the end of the third month, she went into the Burgh to take a basket of eggs to the market. She left as soon as it was light. It's not far from our farm to Grantanbrycg so she planned to be there for the market's opening. Most times my mother went; but she was helping my father and I with the lambing that day so Siggerith went in her stead. We were busy all day with a difficult ewe and did not notice that Siggerith had not returned until late afternoon. I set off to meet her. I was sure she would be on her way back by then. I suppose we thought that the market had been slow for most times we would have sold the eggs by noon.

"Anyway, I found her just as the road entered the woods on the Grantanbrycg side. She was lying beside the track. Two men were bent over her. I ran up and they jumped away from her. There was an arrow in her neck and she was dead. The men began to tell me that it was an accident. They said they had shot at a hare and, by great mischance, Siggerith stepped into the arrow's path. I've spent my life in those parts, sir, but I've never seen a hare in woodland. Oh, there are hares a-plenty in the fields but none in the woods that I know. I was too shocked to think such at the time, you understand. This came to me later, after we had borne her body home.

"I went to fetch a priest while my mother prepared her body for the winding sheet. It was my mother who discovered the blood on her thighs. At first she thought it was just Eve's curse but then she saw that Siggerith was torn and bruised. It was clear as daylight, sir, my mother said, that Siggerith had been ill-used. There was more. When the arrow was withdrawn, you could see it was old and the shaft was warped. What hunter would use such? And the wound, sir, it was not a hole, such as an arrow might make but thinner, longer. My father swears it was a dagger thrust that caused it. We went to the Thegn next day and told him all. He waved us away.

"I brooded on these things for some days and decided I would have things out with the men who killed her. I took my father's long knife, we don't own a proper sword, sir, and went to Grantanbrycg. It was late in the day when I found them. I demanded the truth of her death but they laughed at me. I said I knew they had raped and murdered my Siggerith and told they would die for it. They spat in my face and called me 'Danish filth'. One said I should ever regret not having had such a tasty morsel for myself. I pulled out my knife and we fought. They must have thought me just a farm boy for one cried to the other "You take him." I am a warrior, sir and the son of warriors. I was taught well; better than them, as it turned out.

"I killed him then. It was done too quick for my heart but it was done. I fought the other. He, too, I killed. At first I rejoiced; but it didn't bring Siggerith back. The Thegn's men took me then. They gave out that I had crept into the hall and slain the men in their sleep. Next they claimed that I had been following the blood feud. They branded me a coward and brought me before the Court. The rest you know, sir."

Hereward nodded. He had much to think about. He didn't doubt a word of Thori's story. He knew the Danes well and knew that honour stood above all else with them. They could be brutal in war but so could his own people. War was war but murder, especially of a young girl, was something he could not countenance. He said farewell and rose, stiffly from the cot. "I can promise nothing, lad, save I will tell the King all you have told me. We must now await Fr Anselm. Be sure, however, the King will not rush to judgement in this or any matter. The man is in love with the truth and has no liking for injustice."

* * * * *

* * * * *

Fr Anselm returned at dusk two days later. After he had refreshed himself, he went to the King's chambers to meet again with Athelstan and Hereward. The latter recounted the substance of the story he had had from Thori and then the King turned to Fr Anselm. "And what of your investigations? Can you shed more light upon this dark matter?" The priest nodded vigorously. He was a small, spare man and always put Hereward in mind of a cock sparrow with his quick, jerky movements.

"Indeed, My Lord, I believe I can. I sought out the priest who attended the Thorisson farm to shrive the body of the girl. He confirms there was much anger and they were insisting that the girl had been stabbed and not killed with an arrow. The man himself would not swear to it as he claimed no great knowledge of wounds but he did say they were most convincing.

"I spoke to many folk who had been in the market that day, both Danes and Saxons. Almost all remembered the girl selling eggs. From three I had an interesting tale. When she had done, which they claim was just before noon, she was approached by some of the Thegn's men. My witnesses did not hear what was said but all claimed they saw her leave with these men and that she appeared to go willingly. They also thought she looked fearful.

"There was better to come, My Lord. I found a carter who was travelling towards Grantanbrycg late that very afternoon. He remembers meeting two men on horseback who made great show of telling him they were out hunting. One had a large bundle slung over his saddle. The carter thought it strange to be going out so late in the day on horseback as this suggested a journey of some miles. He also said he passed no one else before reaching the Burgh. He should have encountered the maid, Siggerith, if the evidence given was true. I have commanded all these witnesses, in your name, Sire, to appear before the Court two days from now."

Athelstan smiled. "You have truly surpassed yourself, Anselm." Hereward added his own approbation and Anselm positively glowed with pleasure. The King now looked serious and called for ink and parchment. "Let us now consider what we know, " he said. He made some brief notes and then began to speak anew.

"The girl, Siggerith was, at least by Thori's reckoning, something of a beauty. She was also somewhat playful and aware of, what shall we say, Anselm, the pleasures of the flesh? However, we have Thori's word that that she was a maiden. She is seen selling eggs at the market and then leaving with the Thegn's men; somewhat affeared but not resisting. What does that suggest to you, Hereward?"

"That she was summoned by someone important, My Lord?"

"Quite so. Now who in Grantanbrycg would be considered important?"

"My guess would be the Thegn himself, Sire, or someone close to him."

"My thoughts exactly. What do we know of this Thegn?"

"He was placed by your father, My Lord, about a dozen years since. He is said to be no lover of Danes but I have heard little else about him. What says the Church, Anselm?"

"Much the same. He has three sons and a daughter living. His wife is devout but the man himself makes the customary observance and nothing more. There's little else to add save rumours of a bastard or two, but that's not uncommon."

"How true. No, spare yourself Anselm, I took no slight. The world knows my lineage, for good or ill. It is hardly the fault of the child if the mother is unwed. So to business. We have the evidence of the carter. A sober man, would you say, Anselm?"

"Aye, My Lord. And not a native of those parts so he has no reason to hold to any faction in this matter."

"Better and better. What shall we do then, my friends? Shall we summon the Thegn for his account here and now or wait on him in Court? I think we should hear him first, as we heard Thori, in discretion. What say you?"

* * * * *

The two agreed and the Thegn was summoned before the King. Athelstan recounted all that had been learned. As the King spoke, Hereward pretended to be nodding off to sleep but he watched the Thegn's face intently for the effect of the King's words. They were not prepared for the reaction that came however. The Thegn of Grantanbrycg flung himself to his knees at the King's feet.

"My Lord!" He cried. "I can hide the truth no longer. I killed the Danish girl. I swear I never meant it."

"Go on," said Athelstan and his voice was chill.

"It happened thus, My Lord. I saw her in the market. She was beautiful, Lord and I was consumed with lust. I had to have her. I sent my men to summon her. When they brought her to me I saw she was younger than I'd thought. Still, my mind was clouded with evil and I offered her gold if she would lie with me. She replied prettily. She swore she was a maiden and betrothed to some uncouth ploughboy. She begged my indulgence and made as if to leave. I took her then by force. She spoke true; she was indeed a maid. When the madness left me, I repented. I offered her more gold; she threw it from her as if it were ordure. I knew, then, she would cry rape. To my eternal shame, I killed her. I told two of my men to get rid of the body; to take it to the woods and make it look like a hunting accident. The rest you know."

Athelstan's face was a mask. Hereward could feel the anger burning in the King and Anselm was knelt in prayer for the soul of the murdered girl. There was a long moment's silence in the room before the King spoke again in a calm, quiet voice. "You will come before the Court two days from now and recount again what you have told me here," he said. The Thegn bowed himself out and the three remaining men looked at each other. "It seems we had the right of it, Sire," said Hereward, "Yes," The King replied. "More's the pity.

* * * * *

The Court convened again on the appointed day. The Great Hall was packed for all had come to hear the King's judgement. Thori stood, as before, accused. There was much murmuring when Athelstan summoned the Thegn of Grantanbrycg.

All were silent when they heard the Thegn confess. The nobleman wept openly as he recounted his tale. When he was done he turned to Thori and begged his forgiveness. "I have doubly wronged you, young man," he said. "I took from you your betrothed and sought to hide my crime. I would have taken your life also, had not the King intervened. I thank God, at least, that I was spared this second crime."

Thori looked stunned by all that he heard. At length he sank to his knees. "My Lord," he said. "I have committed murder. The men I slew were not responsible for Siggerith's death. I killed them unknowing, Lord, but I killed them just the same. This man," he gestured to the Thegn, "took from me the woman I loved and would have wed. I took two men's lives for what I foolishly called justice. We are both murderers."

Athelstan stood and raised a hand for silence, for a hubbub had broken out at Thori's words.

"This is now my judgement. Thori Thorisson, you are guilty of murder although you did not have a guilty mind. You will pay wergild of two hundred shillings to each of your victims' families. There is to be no continuance of any blood feuds in this matter, on pain of death."

The King now turned to the Thegn.

"You committed rape and murder and would have murdered this boy too, by false witness. Do you repent of your sins?"

The Thegn swore by all that is holy that he did repent, sincerely, and would do anything in his power to make amends.

"You will pay wergild to Thori Thorisson of six hundred shillings for the slaying of the maid Siggerith. It is my further command that you enter a monastery and do penance for her rape and murder by saying a mass every day for her departed soul until the day you die."

The King then addressed the host. "There has been too much killing here. I can see no purpose in more death. This is my judgement and this is my justice. Will any here gainsay me?"

There was silence until a shout of assent was heard from Hereward. All assembled took up the cry in praise of Athelstan's mercy.

Later that evening, Hereward and Anselm were once more attending the King. Athelstan was in expansive mood and the conversation ranged hither and thither before returning to the day's events.

"What do you think of my judgment? Truth now, there is none to hear but us."

"Well, sire," said Anselm. "It would have served nobody to have killed the boy and as for the Thegn, God has a new servant that he was not expecting." Hereward nodded agreement. "It has always struck me as a pity when youngsters are put to death. So much living wasted!" Athelstan smiled at the old man. "Hereward," he said, "I couldn't have put it better. Do you know, I've a mind to make a law to prevent just such atrocity?"

12