All Comments on 'Backscatter'

by hammingbyrd7

Sort by:
  • 57 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
a top notch sf story!

very good.

thank you for writing this very entertaining story. up to your usual standards.

kudos!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
O.K.

A bit long but good

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
WOW!!!!

What a story the concept and story line are fantastic this should be published as a novel I'm surprised nobody has asked for it I 'm eagerly awaiting the next part It's not often you get a chance to re-write history

many thanks

swsidloswsidloalmost 17 years ago
Bravo! Great Story!

Bravo, bravo - great story! This is way too good to be here - it should be a published piece. If this were a book I would buy it. All i can say is more! Well done!

Athena_e19Athena_e19almost 17 years ago
A masterpiece in torture

Reading the work of hammingbyrd7 has become a torturous exercise- in two parts.

First, each piece of literature he submits is fantastic. But often they are incomplete, or take a great while for a second chapter to emerge. The waiting is numbing. I forget crucial details and must relive the first thirty to forty pages to reacquaint myself with different worlds, different laws of physics, different cultures, and different histories. Then I must read on, knowing that the new chapter may not yet grant me the urgent need for resolution that my mind calls for.

Secondly, his writing is too damned good. I, a humble graduate student, dream of being able to write something truly wonderful and exciting that encapsulates the imagination of my readers. And each time, I end up with a piece of smut or a good concept that falls short. And whenever that occurs, and I need inspiration, I turn to reading to reignite the passion. But when I read hammingbyrd I feel inadequate- unable to meet the demand and the high standard of his writing.

Impressive, ingenious, and invigorating. Thank you, again.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Athena is right

Your stories are great, and yet wonderful torture, waiting for the next piece. Please do release the next book as soon as you feel it's ready, I can hardly wait!

WytchwolfWytchwolfalmost 17 years ago
Imagine my happiness

when I found a new story from hammingbyrd7 to read. Fantastic as usual, and I can't wait for the next chapter. Bravo!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Fine work as usual

I am constantly amazed at your complex story lines, wide literacy in science and history, and the ability to spin a damn good yarn.

Every story has gotten a "WOW" out of me, and that takes a bit.

Keep up the good work and let us know when you publish a compendium or hardcopy work, eh? Yes, I think it's THAT good.

Regards,

Ulf

DarowynDarowynover 16 years ago
If I didn't like it so much I'd say nothing.

This story has enough plot to make a trilogy. I'm a sci-fi reader from way back, and you have the lot in here- utopian political philosophy, distopia, plausible hard science and alternate timeline speculations-oh yes, and sex too.

I read the whole thing through in one sitting yesterday, which is a compliment to the writing, and the ideas have been turning over in my mind ever since- which is an even greater one.

I do have some suggestions though- the didactic (author's message) passages can be slightly heavy going. At novel length, you could play these out in the action instead of long conversations on political and constitutional philosophy.

I also found the unexpected switch of Point of view to Hannibal a little disconcerting.

I really do think that the ideas need to be more fully developed. What was going on in Texas? Who were the fundamentalist bombers? Were they a unified force or were the majority of the casualties from faction fighting (C/F Iraq)?

There is a whole novel there.

Similarly, the Madieran episode up to the Time shift would make a novel- with a great cliffhanger ending.

Paradigm change in early history is a fascinating topic, but the story ends before it really covers the implications. The Ancient Greeks and Egyptians had the technology to create a technological society 3000 years before the Industiral revolution, but in a society built on expendable slave labour, there was no need for it, so it never happened.

Please accept my comments in good faith. If I had not been so impressed, i would have said nothing.

Cheers

Dave

sgtwarped1sgtwarped1over 16 years ago
BRAVO

all i can say is bravo author bravo

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Wow!

Once again I am awed by the brilliance of your writing. This did turn into more difficult reading than I expected. Please let us know when you publish. I am eagerly awaitng the next installment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
great story

Impressive work - literary, imaginative, and almost all spelled correctly! Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Great

Hammy, an interesting, complex, satisfying work to read.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can stop reading here, but if you want my $0.02 of constructive suggestions:

1. I think you used "apocolypic" instead of "apoplectic" to describe someone's look or exclamation somewhere around page 20.

2. Even as an engineer, a lot of the technical information was a bit complex to follow. This is one of the tremendously intriguing facets of the store, but I wonder if, specifically, the early discussion of how the "Princeton bubble" intersected with the "Madeira bubbles" could be simplified a little bit.

3. Finally, Alvaro maybe underreacted to Megan's admission about transferring the information to the US... that degree of secrecy (that has him that upset even to discuss it with Megan early on) maybe would have left me expecting a major several-day rift between the two of them. Betrayal in a marriage is pretty serious stuff.

Anyway, these comments are PURELY technical picky points, and you're ABSOLUTELY free to ignore them. Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Praise for a work well done

I enjoyed reading this work very much. I rally think that you should be publishing this sort of work with a mainstream publisher. I obviously do not mid looking for your work among those of a much more erotic nature. However, many people would enjoy the science fiction aspect of the work but will never find it on "Literotica". I would be willing to buy a book like this I suspect that others would also.

ThankBFC6 you and keep the good work going.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
wow !

I mostly loved it. I would have liked a lot more sex in it,but aside from that HOLY COW ! I never expected to find something as detaied and well written as this on a site like this. You really should consider putting this into the main stream. I would imagine you will have to edit out the megar sex thats in it but even without it, its still a FANTASTIC story.

ZephyramZephyramover 16 years ago
Wow

I should have expected it after reading Preacher Man, but I didn't notice you were the same author until after I finished this piece.. Who would have thought? A theoretical physicist writing stories on Literotica. (At least that's what I'm guessing.. Unless of course like me you read entirely too much and are chock full of useless information..) Can hardly wait to see how this turns out. Great Job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
Publish?

Wow! This was an excellent story-line and concept. The science and writing could use a fair bit of refinement, but I think there's a serious chance that this could be published or even made into a TV series.

(I'm not well informed on Stargate I and the like, and Backscatter might be too similar to those, but the overall story universe has intreguing possibilitis). Looking forward to reading Book Two. Oh also, if you do have to include sex in your writing, could it perhaps be a little less 'clinical'? :D

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Great story

Please continue this work, it is truly brilliant.

rongailrongailabout 16 years ago
wonderful new direction

very well thought out and well written

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Incredible

I have a feeling that you will become the next Michael Crichton of science fiction, with much more science. Great story, and tell us all when you get published so we can support you!

ArchonZArchonZabout 16 years ago
Excellent

I loved this story. My friend, if you are not being published already, you need to be. This plot is amazingly complex, and you could keep writing in this universe for years (and I would buy every book). It's nice to see a story on Lit that has sex in it, but in which sex isn't the main goal.

Disclaimer: My two cents immediately follow; stop reading here if you don't want to hear it :)

1.) The technical detail was a bit overly emphasized (and I'm not saying 'a bit' sarcastically; I think if it were to be toned down just a little bit, it would still give the reader a lot of detail about your universe without distracting from the storyline)

2.) I agree with a previous commenter that Alvaro under-reacted to Megan's betrayal. Part of this may have had to do with space limitations, and I understand that. I would still have liked to see more interaction over that particular plot point.

3.) Nit-picky point: I had a little bit of trouble keeping up with the amount of time that passed between segments. I really don't know what would have made it easier for me, so I'm sorry I can't be more help there.

Two cents complete.

So, when is the next installment going to be coming along?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
jumping on the bandwaggon

i completely agree with all the other comments on this story. to find such a complex and engrossing story in lit was not something i ever expected. yeah it did get a tad technical for a bit, but honestly i was reminded of the first time i read <i> Contact </i>. but this did a much better job of integrating the dry descriptions into the whole voice of the piece. and i have a immense amount of gratitude for the "mostly" correct spelling and grammar. (i think i noticed two typos in 26 pages.) i will admit that, for me, the ending was a little weak. you could have used the last scene where Ittoball dies as the opening for the next book, and ended on Megan and Alvaro's chat with Hannibal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
brilliant

first sci fi book ive read for ages. truly amazing. it should be published. will there be a second book?

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
What time is it?

Wow, I just realized i 've been reading for hours now!

Really liked it, and it gets better as it goes!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
INCREDIBLE

you need to be published.. this was fantastic!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
close enough

While the physics was not totally perfect, it was so much better than in nearly all other sci-fi texts. and it was a sex story which contained more than *in* *out* *gasp*. A complete universe with a good plot. Please write many sequels!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
I'll definitely read more.

This was a great read and I will definitely read more. A lot of the concepts of possible futures and were incredibly well thought out and in depth. I couldn't follow all of the incredibly in-depth physics but I'm sure that a lot of people could and that it was needed. I also have two small grammatical things, not that they matter much, but "Viva la difference" should probably be "Vive la différence" (if they even let you use accents) and that Megan would be a fiancée but Alvaro would still be a fiancé. The story is still incredibly great and I'll find time to read more of yours.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
almost publishable quality

You've created an in-depth universe that's complex yet consistent. The ideas are fantastical yet believable. That's the spirit of sci-fi, and I've seen worse sci-fi on my library's recommended reading list.

With all that praise over and done with, there are a few spelling mistakes that the computer missed (like sheer for shear). Otherwise, I can't see much room for improvement.

LeftoverStoriesLeftoverStoriesalmost 15 years ago
Incredible

Great story. Checking your personal page now to see if you ever did book 2. And I thought I was sick of time travel stories! Read this one straight through.

gardenlobstergardenlobsteralmost 15 years ago
Who are you and where can I buy your novels?

I wrote this author first when I finished "It's My Party" and I will reiterate that with a good copy editor and some minor changes, these works could be best-sellers easy. I can't wait to read the sequel to Backscatter. However I wonder if that is because this book lacked a difinitive ending. It wasn't a cliffhanger and it wasn't a resolute end. It felt unfinished. Another review had an issue with the physics, but it's enough to fool the general population, if a little overdone and lengthy at times. I'm a little bothered, though, at the lack of more varied and colorful description for the love scenes. Words like "glans" and "pet" are outdated and overused in your works. And you can occasionally use "spooning" in reference to sleeping arrangements. Plan to hear these word choice issues from an editor. Something that distracts or turns off the audience pulls them out of your world and you don't want that. Nonetheless the work is quality in concept and plot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Incredibly impressed!

As a chemistry major I found your science complex, subtle but still in comfortable enough language to be layman friendly. I sat down and only meant to read the first couple of pages and here I am, having read the whole thing! A great story and you should really consider having it published professionally--a story this could has real prospects on the open market and is an absolute pleasure to read.

My thanks,

Lauren

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Backscatter, Book II?

Would love to see you eventually publish book II of this saga.

PornoclesPornoclesover 13 years ago

I have to agree with Darowyn. There were a lot of ideas presented and things happening that i really wanted to know more about.

It also seemed that the Phoenicians were more confortable than one might expect around the god-like Madeirans.

Anyway, a good, enjoyable story overall and i also look forward to the next part. Considering the site we're on some more sex wouldn't have gone amiss.

Keep up the good work. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
This is definition of epic.

Unbelievable. I have shivers.

I meant to nitpick but in retrospect there isn't much i can say.

Physics too complicated? No, it was just perfect. Long barrages of quantum theory did nothing to explain, but for a simple man like me they gave an impression that everything described is actually plausible.

Perhaps there was too many geographical and historical facts in dialogues, i mean that normal people don't talk like encyclopedia. But then again, Alvaro was a wunderkind, and Megan kind of a special case too.

Choice of words describing sexual acts was bit "clinical"? Perhaps, but i so loved those. Unique. Amount of love, passion, complete trust you managed to express in so little words was astonishing (yes, i mean their little anal exploration). Choice of words was actually exactly what one would expect from a veterinarian and virgin. And while i personally craved for more, this story really does not need more.

This new world you created deserves much more chronicles.

Its been years now, sequel should be out soon, yes?

I would go and read your other stories now, but i must let it settle for a while.

Godspeed, and thank you for this adventure.

Wildflower23Wildflower23almost 13 years ago
Beautiful

An absolutely amazing story. There are no words for this.

The depth, the concept, the humanity.. Backscatter has absolutely everything I could've wanted when I clicked it and more.

I'll wait eagerly for book two. Keep up the good work hammingbyrd.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Damn fine story

This story was so good that I almost found myself skipping the sex parts.

Almost

SimsasiSimsasialmost 12 years ago
Wonderful

I absolutely loved this story, thank you very much for publishing it here.

The only drawback is that you have changed my standards, so that this is the quality I expect for giving 5. Have only read a handful of stories at this level on Lit.

Looking forward to read everything you have published!

CajunBillCajunBillabout 11 years ago
Move over,

Heinlein, Asimov, etc. I just finished three great stories here on Literotica. All somewhat different and all with well developed plots. Of course the three are 'Preacher Man', 'Preacher's Daughter', and 'Backscatter'. You promised a 'Book II' for 'Backscatter' three years ago. I hope you are well and still writing. Are you posting elsewhere? Are you publishing? (I hope so and if so, where?)

I am a retired Electrical Engineer trained at MIT and Tulane U. I started reading Sci-Fi 65 years ago! My peers were reading comic books and of course I read them too! Hell, I had a subscription to Astounding Science Fiction and Radio-Electronics magazine in about 1948. (Note to Low-Information Readers : Google 'Magazine' for this rare form of data distribution.)

PLEASE let us hear more from you.... !!!! Bill

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Here Here!

I agree with everything Cajun Bill posted. Stories like yours would have been major hits in 'Astounding' in its glory days. This was a cracker!

If you are writing elsewhere please leave a note in your profile.

Thanks for a great read.

JohnnyMaxJohnnyMaxabout 11 years ago
Brilliant

The melding of science with history was brilliantly done.The science was technical enough to impress without being too pedantic to bore. Well worthy of epublishing - try smashwords earn some money.

This is high quality writing - just tidy up odd spelling/grammar slip-ups.

nutherwunnnutherwunnover 10 years ago
Disease prevention

Congratulations on a very well-crafted story. And thanks!

You had Hannibal and the crews of Asherim's Offer and the other two boats undergo a lengthy isolation and innoculation process, in order to prevent them from contracting other illnesses from the Madeiran's timeline. Unfortunately, that process would not have worked, as innoculation is NOT immunization, even if you wait 6 weeks.

It will prevent becoming terribly ill and dying, in many cases, but that does not mean that the people so protected will not catch and transmit the underlying disease - in fact, most people today who catch measles, for example, are "fully protected," having had both the initial injection and two booster shots as well. Thus the world-wide epidemics that were meant to be prevented would actually be guaranteed. Also, what little protection is afforded is quite temporary, not the true immunity conferred by natural disease recovery, so even if it worked in the beginning, it would not prevent the problem long-term.

Your physics was better, despite the need for suspension of disbelief. I really enjoyed the way you put things together, and again,

Thanks!

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 9 years ago
Just finished page three

I see you wrote this back in 2007. Tell me; do you still believe in gullible warming? You seem to be intelligent; I guess you never studied geology. If you had you would have known instantly what a crock of shit "global warming" is.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Tea Partier

You got to page 3? Must be a record for you lot...

deep29569deep29569over 8 years ago
Hi,very nice read,what next n when?

When r u gifting us with the next one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
feb 2009

shame that the Author vanished

also the story name is unhelpful

good enough to be published for sale

good enough for a sequel or series of E books

after seven years with no updates here

and no luck searching the internet for any further writing in this series / by this author

one assumes the Author is no longer writing

exceedingly well written & most enjoyable & engaging to read

interesting & intriguing plot

quality dialogue

wonderfuly developed protaonists

a truly well deserved 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

The autor certainly loves his percentages and numbers. That is a bit off-putting, together with Alvaro being the info-dump character for a majority of the story. It is however an enjoyable read, though the erotic parts are not at all central or important to the story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Give me my time back please!

This story is bad, and the author should feel bad. Its basically just a story for the author to try prove how smart he is, and its painful to watch. Not even counting the terrible writing mistakes every few sentences, this is the first story I have read here which I wish I could un-read.

A man becomes a god, but the only things he chooses to do are,

1. Kill some people (including his wife's parents, for which she somehow forgives him for no reason),

2. Cleans up some pollution, and removes all drugs from the world.

3. Spent the story trying to hide his power from the world, only to completely flip at the end for no reason.

The Preacher Man was decent, but this was pure garbage and should never have been released.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Enjoyable

I quite enjoyed it, it has some very good ideas. It could do without the sex scenes as they are boooooring

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticabout 7 years ago
Wow!

A great Sci-Fi tale.

It is a very interesting story, with great temporal space paradoxes. A song to the attempt to get a better humanity on this planet full of hatred, fanaticism, betrayal and vested interests. A story in which sex is not the basis of history (which is to be grateful), if not the expression of love between Alvaro and Megan.

I would like the author to write and publish here (or tell me where to find) the sequel to this story, since I am convinced that this can not be the end (as the author indicates in his epilogue).

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet and forever), isn't my native language.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
enjoyed

well written, well thought out story. Creative plot (with physics well beyond my comprehension).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Need the rest of the story

amazing thought process in the story and plot creation. have read Preacher man and preacher's daughter back to back.

You are a master story teller.

We need the rest of the books in the series please.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A great read

But two things bother me. The tecnobabble about how the dark energy power works is important to the plot but incomprehensible. When Megan tells Alvaro what she has done he is faced with the destruction of his lifes work and possibly the world or supporting his wife. He chooses the second without a blink or showing the slightest quarm or anxiety. Driven achievers dont see their work wrecked like that.

ausvirgoausvirgoabout 5 years ago
Great story.

Some random comments.

1) re Anonymous 02/21/19's comments: a) The technobabble had to be unintelligible, since the technology is fictional and doesn't actually work, so the author could hardly have given an intelligible description of the technology. Personally I think the author uses a bit too much technobabble in his stories, although I'd have to see how the stories worked with less. b) Alvaro is not faced with an either-or choice re supporting his wife. What she'd done had already done it's damage, so supporting his wife did not create greater risk.

2) Had the research on the risks of intersecting the "weak" bubbles Madeira was using been done earlier, Madeira would have had the option to lease out sealed power plants to other countries. These plants could have been made much larger and heavier than necessary to disguise their real nature, with the extra bulk and mass providing anti-sabotage armor, anti-scan fillers and tamper self-destructs, although a hint of radiation would have made tampering unlikely if the recipients knew that they had self-destructs.

Additionally, the final physical test of intersecting bubbles should ideally have been done in empty space, NOT on the moon, as adverse effects on the moon could affect the earth (e.g. tides, etc.)

wolverine006wolverine006over 4 years ago
RE: Give me my time back please!

@ Anon,

I am glad you took the time to read "Kinetic" so well. Unfortunately, this is the comment section for "Backscatter"! :(

I guess that means you were able to unread it.

Lector77Lector77about 3 years ago
Deus!

What a superb story! Much of the physics was beyond me, but you presented it in such manner that I could follow the general path. The português was a lovely touch.

I'm new to your work, and looking forward to reading more of it.

Muito obrigado.

Steverino143Steverino1435 months ago

At last, good hard SF. Heartfelt thanks, very good and interesting reading.

Physicist by any chance?

AnonymousAnonymous28 days ago

Completely awed - thank you.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous