Baxterverse Background 02

Story Info
Res Magicae ("On the Matter of Magic")
866 words
4.25
5.5k
00

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 07/06/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Res Magicae ("On the Matter of Magic")

by Archangel_M

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

This is background information for the 'Baxterverse,' the series of stories begun by lilgirlsix. She and I now write them together. If there is a discrepancy between what I write here and the stories posted under LG6's name, the stories are correct.

Disclaimer: This has nothing whatsoever to do with reality in any way. The people, organizations, and 'facts' given are valid only for the continuity of the 'Baxterverse,' and bear little if any resemblance to their real-life counterparts, where applicable. If anything in here gives offense to your religion, favorite fantasy book, or whatever... I honestly don't care. This is entertainment, and if you can't treat it as such, please go read something else. Thank you. :)

NB: This monograph is extremely brief, and is intended only as a quick overview. Magic is sufficiently complex and unusual that it can only be discussed properly in Latin or Mandarin, both of which have special vocabularies dedicated to the subject.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

The Mechanisms of Magic

There are three ways for a human to acquire magical power:

1. Make a contract with a demon, gaining power in exchange for various services. Such persons are called witches.

2. Make a contract with an angel, gaining power in exchange for various services. Such persons are called paladins.

3. Study and practice for many long, hard years, developing one's own innate potential. Such persons are called mages.

Witches are executed on sight by all non-witches. Opinion about and treatment of paladins and mages is quite varied.

Magic works using the human brain and nervous system. As you may know, these are basically just a giant electrochemical energy containment network, and only 10% of the brain's capacity is ever used at any given time. The remaining 80-odd% of the brain can be used to hold or channel raw energy, drawn from the environment. Energy can come from any source—thermal, kinetic, electrical, et cetera. Through endless practice, a mage learns to draw, project, and manipulate energy to produce all manner of effects.

In many cultures, magic use is linked to madness, and for good reason. If one tries to hold too much power at once or hold large amounts of power in the brain for long periods, it affects the energy system that comprises the mage's mind. Now that such things are understood, most mages take care not to draw any more energy than they require at a given moment, and generally don't hold more than a token amount of energy all the time. For extended effects, a mage can learn to draw energy while he is casting, allowing virtually unlimited use as long as there's a decent amount of energy in the ambient environment (there almost always is.)

Magical effects can also be permanently imparted to physical objects, a process called enchantment. It is relatively easy for a mage to set up an energy system in any given object to produce a specific effect, which is called a dwoemer. Over time, though, these 'lesser' dwoemers lose energy to the surrounding environment and will eventually disperse. A highly skilled enchanter can create dwoemers that restore themselves from ambient energy. These 'greater' dwoemers work forever unless dispelled.

Mages do not require wands or any other physical object to work magic. A wand is an enchanted object whose dwoemer produces any sort of active effect on command. Many wands are triggered by key words or actions, making them usable by anyone. They can be of any size and shape. The stereotypical small-wooden-stick wand is generally an offensive weapon that can cast one or more attack spells.

There is also another kind of ability which is not strictly magic, but is often lumped in with it. This is the field of psionics, the use of one's own mind to direct and project energy, without using a separate pool held in the rest of the brain. It is much more difficult to master than magic, and generally requires natural talent for one to become a psion of any usefulness. Though its potential for raw power is far less than magic, psionics are a highly prized niche in their own right.

Psions are much more effective than mages at reading and/or manipulating other minds. They also tend to be adept at telekinesis for unknown reasons. Lastly, the use of psionic abilities does not produce the telltale visual and aural effects that usually accompany magic (i.e. weird lights, sounds, et cetera).

Some parahumans and other sentient beings have their own intrinsic abilities, which are often generalized as magic. This suffices for common discourse, but is not, strictly speaking, always correct. Some beings, most notably elves and dwarves, do in fact practice magic. Most others do not; their abilities are classified differently by arcane scholars.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I hope you found this both interesting and informative, gentle reader! :)

If you have a question:

1. Please reread carefully to see if it was answered in the text.

2. Please read the public comments to see if someone already asked the same question.

3. Please post your question as a public comment, and either lilgirlsix or I will answer ASAP.

—AA