The Hand of Death

Story Info
Fantasy Fiction with ninjas and magic.
4.6k words
4.71
9.3k
28

Part 1 of the 23 part series

Updated 04/27/2024
Created 12/04/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's note:

I will not lie to you. I am posting this here in the hopes of generating sales. This is NOT a piece of erotica. Any sex in this story occurs between individuals who are over the age of 18. AND is not very detailed. This is a fantasy fiction piece about a ninja. It has 25 chapters. All of which will be posted here. One chapter per month. If you enjoy it and wish to support me, you can check my BIO for a link. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the story as much as I do.

Thank you,

Hayden D. Linder

*******************************************************************************************************

Chapter I

"Laying Plans"

The Art of War

~by Sun Tzu~

I was a child when my mother taught me to sew. Her father had been a tailor as were both of her brothers. Grandfather died before I was born but she had told me how great he was. He was the personal tailor of both our previous and current Daimyo. Her family had a proud tradition of being tailors for the nobility, a tradition I hoped to continue. My uncle, Tozasu, was currently the personal tailor to our Daimyo, Goemon Tetsuya. My uncle, Kagi, lived in Shiro no Nokizaru. It laid five days' ride to the north. He was the personal tailor of the Nokizaru family Daimyo, Daiki. I had never met Kagi but I heard he was very good. Mother was quite skilled at tailoring as well and she taught the art to me. We would sew together almost every day after dinner; she would praise my work often and I was happy. I hoped one day to be a good tailor. The thought of it gave me such joy but it was not to be. While my mother was a tailor...my father was Samurai.

We lived in Shiro Goemon, the castle of the Koga House in the Koga capital Goemon Toshi. I thought it was the best city in the entire empire. Our House covered a broad stretch of land through the middle of our island country Giapan, separating the House of the Honshu from the Okayama and encompassing the Emperor's capitol of Teikoku Toshi no Kyoto.

I began to sew clothing for myself, even though I didn't need any. I started with the gloves and socks that everyone wears, and when I tired of those I started making kimono and obi

belts. Out of boredom, I began to make peasant clothing for myself. I had gotten it into my head to dress like the heimin and see how they lived. Heimin do the labor and chores of Giapan, anything from farming to carpentry. They may not be of the noble class but they are better than hinin: entertainers, gamblers, ronin and eta. The eta work with the dead, and yes it is better to be an eta who works with dead animals than one who works with dead people. The only thing worse than the eta who work with dead people, are the gaijin or strangers not of Giapan. Any samurai may kill a hinin without fear of any legal recourse for their actions. Of course, legal or not, it depends on whose hinin you kill. The Etorofu House to the far north is awfully touchy about its peasants.

Aside from that, most people won't even touch an eta. If one touches the dead, they must go to a shrine or temple to be cleansed, spiritually, for a month. There isn't enough cleansing in the world to purify an eta. I used to care about all of that when I was young, but the profession my Daimyo placed me in left me with little time for such frivolities and even less patience for those who have them.

But I digress. I was young and curious. In the morning, after eating, I would dress into my heimin disguise and slip out of the castle. My mother always believed I was somewhere on the grounds of the castle at these times, either in the gardens or the libraries. I had seen all of

those and though they were beautiful, I wanted to see more. The city was alive with new people, and interesting scenes. The smells were much stronger here, not overpowering, just stronger. I saw people buying and trading goods and services. I saw people of other Houses I did not recognize, women and men with strange clothing and odd tattoos. It was interesting, and the city was what I had longed for. Noises and smells and beauty, more than my young mind could comprehend. I listened to people arguing and bartering. Haggling was confusing at first, but I came to understand it. One day as I walked down the main street out of the castle I saw three boys playing "Samurai and Ronin." I walked up to them and watched. They made brave speeches and fought with sticks. Honor dictated that only one samurai could attack the ronin at a time. Honor, as all know, is very important to the samurai and their code of Bushido. The oldest boy, named Goruchi, was about a year older than I.

"Hi. You wanna play? We need another ronin," He said.

"Yes. What do I do?"

They explained the game to me. I had to find a stick-sword to fight them with, and then it

was basically a big melee. We fought for a while until we tired, and I got hit, a lot. The samurai

always won, until I convinced my fellow ronin to help me sneak attack one of them and then double team Goruchi. We had a great victory then.

"No fair! You're not supposed to do that!"

"Who said ronin are fair?" They nodded in agreement.

I wandered all over town with them. "Where are you from," they asked.

"I live with my uncle Tozasu." It seemed a good story.

"Oh! I know him. My brother wants him to make his wedding kimono."

"Yes. He is the Daimyo's personal tailor. He is very good."

They asked many more questions after that. Being new in town I asked many questions of them as well. We had great fun that day. They showed me all over town and introduced me to many people. Soon we got hungry so they went home. I was very far from mine though. I had been to my uncle Tozasu's shop many times with my mother, so I found it again and told him what I was doing. He was very surprised to see me, but since he had no children of his own, and I was a favorite of his, he played along as if I was staying with him.

"Hiro san! Why are you dressed like that?"

"I am playing heimin, Uncle." I was smiling.

He looked at me sternly. "Does your mother know?"

"...No. I was hoping to keep it a secret."

"Hmm. I suppose it is a good Koga tradition, disguises and secrets. Alright. I will help."

He smiled at me. I gave him a big hug. He fed me rice while we talked. I always stopped in to talk with my uncle after that. I could always find my friends, Goruchi, Cho, and Himi playing in the streets. We traveled all over the city and sometimes sneaked into the castle. One day I came upon them in the back of Pe's Geisha house. Pe was a very nice lady who always seemed to have a special quiet smile when my uncle was around. We were there often enough because we did odd jobs for the girls.

"Hiro san? Will you bring wood for the cook fire? Here is a Wado." "Hiro san? Will you bring in some water for the soup? Here is a Wado." A Wado is copper coin and is the smallest amount of currency. I had no use for money but the girls were nice so I helped. This day though the girls were inside entertaining. Goruchi was talking to the other boys.

"I tell you it is haunted! No one goes in there and comes out alive!"

He was being very dramatic.

"What is haunted?" I asked.

Cho turned to me with a smile. "Gurobu no Aobozu."

An Aobozu is an evil spirit, a blue monk who kidnaps children. The woods outside of town were said to be home to one. Consequently I was not fond of the place.

"Where's that?" I lied.

"Just outside the city to the south." He was looking hopefully at me.

I looked back at him. "...What?"

Goruchi looked at me mischievously. "I don't suppose you have the courage to go in there, do you?"

"Of course I do. It's just woods."

It is just woods, but enemies of our House are hung by their necks and left to rot there.

My friends and I walked out of town towards the Gurobu no Aobozu, and I could see it growing larger as we approached. Gnarled, ugly, black trees, with things hanging from the branches. I couldn't tell what they were but as we got closer I saw, katana, tanto and various other items. Someone had hung wind chimes and bells all over the grove so that there was an eerie subtle music in the air.

Goruchi looked at me. "Well brave man, you going in?"

He had a big smile on his face. It's just woods, I thought.

Cho spoke up. "He's not going. He's too scared." I looked harshly at him.

Then Himi said, "Don't listen to em Hiro! You'll get killed if you go in there!"

I straightened my shoulders and marched in.

Goruchi yelled after me. "Be sure to bring back proof! If you live!"

Once I had passed out of sight of my friends I slowed my pace considerably. It's just

woods. It's just woods. I walked cautiously through the grove. It was spooky. I kept looking over my shoulder for the ghosts I knew were there. After a few minutes of walking I saw something up ahead in a small clearing. It's just woods. It was just off to the side a little, and I wasn't sure what it was. Armor maybe? I crept closer. It's just woods. The music was making me crazy!

Someone had draped a dead samurai over the limbs of a tree. His mempo war mask, helmet and armor looked pristine. He glinted with a high shine in the dimming light, red and white. I walked up to him slowly, waiting for the attack that would sound my death knell. It's - just - woods! I glanced in every direction as I approached. It - is - just - woods! He looked very fresh. Too fresh.

I poked him lightly with a stick I found. Nothing happened. I wanted to touch him, but that would be unclean. Then, he slowly raised his head and looked at me with wild eyes. I dropped my stick and began to shake. It's HAUNTED! He laughed loud and menacingly. "HA HA HA HA." All I could do was scream in fear.

"AAAHHHHH! AAAHHH! AAHHHHHHH! AAAHHHHHH! AAHHHHHH!" as I back peddled and tripped over some tree roots. Then I noticed his tone changed as he approached me slowly.

"HA HA Hahahhhaaahahahaahaha...heehhe..."

My screams subsided. He put his hands on his hips to rest himself as he bent over laughing. I was getting mad; it 'IS' just woods!

"That was not funny!" I said as he removed his mask.

"Yes. Heehee it was, actually, Koga-ko."

He was still giggling. I picked myself up and bowed stiffly to him and asked the traditional greeting of Giapan.

"Have you eaten rice today, Goemon sama?"

He wore the Goemon crest over his heart so I knew what family of our house he belonged to.

"Yes Koga-ko. And you?"

"Yes, Goemon sama."

He picked me up and put me on his right hip. He was still laughing as we headed out of the grove; I was sulking with my arms crossed. We came out of the grove and he put me down. I looked for my friends.

"Where did they go?"

"They probably ran when they heard your death screams. Heh heh."

"It is still not funny." We started to walk towards the castle, Shiro Goemon.

"Wait!" I said.

"Yes?"

"I need proof I went into the woods for my friends."

He nodded and cut an old knife free from the tree it had been tethered to.

"That should serve I think," he said.

"Domo arigato, Goemon sama."

He smiled. "What is your name Koga san?" He asked as we headed back to town.

I looked up at him. He looked to be about thirteen. In Giapan when you are born, you are

considered to be 1 year old on that day. I then looked around to make sure no one could hear me.

"Shotoku Hiro, Goemon sama." He stopped suddenly.

"Kanichi's son?"

"Yes. He is my father."

"Why are you dressed like a heimin?"

"I wanted to explore outside the castle. My friends do not know."

"What of your mother?"

"I did not want to worry her, so I did not tell her." I felt bad about that part; I didn't

like keeping things from her. He nodded after a moment. I continued, "You will not tell her will

you, Goemon sama?"

He watched me for a long moment, trying to make me suffer I think.

"No, I have no reason to betray your secret, Hiro san."

Relief flooded through me with a sigh. Then I remembered, "You know my father?"

"Only professionally. He is the best we have." That statement puzzled me.

"The best at what?"

"Yojimbo."

A yojimbo is a bodyguard. "But, he is always in the capitol of Kyoto."

"Yes. He protects our greatest courtier there, Goemon Goshiu."

"But, if he is the best we have, why is he not protecting the Daimyo, here?"

He looked at me, amused.

"Because my father has more than enough yojimbo here already."

"Oh." I stopped walking. "Your...?"

He laughed. "Yes, my father. I am Goemon Eita."

My Daimyo's youngest son. His brother is only a year older.

"Yes. I have heard all the geisha at Pe's, talking about how handsome you are."

That shocked him. "What were you doing there?"

We started walking again. "Pe pays us to carry firewood and things like that."

He looked puzzled. "But, you do not need the money Hiro."

I stopped walking for a moment and looked at him.

"...My - friends - do - not - know - that."

He started laughing again. I liked him. He walked me back to the edge of town and left me there. He said he didn't want to ruin my disguise with the heimin. I wandered off and found my friends.

Himi yelled excitedly when he saw me. "Hiro!? You're not dead!?"

I nodded to them as I approached and showed them the knife.

"Oh it was terrible. The Aobozu said that I had to bring the heads of my friends or it would kill my WHOLE FAMILY!"

They all screamed then. Once I stopped laughing I told them what really happened, minus who I was, and who the Koga mononofu was. Mononofu is an ancient Giapanese word meaning warrior.

Over time I met most of the heimin and eta of Goemon Toshi. Kito, the Mason, "Hey Hiro san? Come help mix the mortar." Anaido the merchant, "No. No. No. You trade Bandai Genbo for Koga Genbo because you can get more for Bandai this year." A Genbo is a silver piece worth ten Wado.

Then there was Yoji who owned the "Soft Handed Tea-House", "Will you help clean the upstairs rooms?" and so on. Most of them seemed to like me. I was inquisitive and helpful, when I could be.

I eventually had to buy a medium sized wooden box to hold my money and belongings; a silk fan, an aikuchi decorative knife, and other little items I had picked up as souvenirs.

I was helping Kojin the Roofer one day when he told me I should go to the shrine of Goemon, near the castle. There was a Yamabushi warrior monk teaching the peasants the art of self-defense, Kara-Te.

He said, "A young boy like you would do well to learn how to defend himself and his

family."

I agreed and went with my three friends to learn. The monk's name was Brother Yuri. He was a friendly old man who felt it was unfair that peasants were not allowed to carry weapons to defend themselves. They were left defenseless in the world if not for this art. It would not do to let him know I was of the noble class and was allowed to carry weapons.

"Yuri sama? May I learn from you?"

He eyed me harshly for a long time. "And tell me why I should teach you anything Koga!" He said.

I thought on that for a moment before answering. "Because you can."

He smiled. "Yes. A good enough reason." He nodded. "Come. Fall in with the others."

They had all formed up into a big square, everyone facing towards the monk in uniform rows. I found a spot in the front where the other children stood. He taught his class in the open near the shrine. It was not too grueling. Classes were held after the day's work was completed. The Yamabushi were the only people in Giapan who regularly taught martial arts to peasants. You had to be very rude for him to refuse you a place in his class. He had been in town for months and didn't look to be leaving any time soon. I trained with him every day and learned quickly. In the beginning it was boring repetition. I didn't know that he was conditioning our bodies for the art. I caught on though. It didn't take long for me to excel in his class. My friends and I would practice each night before going to bed, and this extra practice helped us learn more than anything else. Repetition is the key to Kara-Te. Three months later and we were helping as some of his assistants with the other children our age. Yuri sama would speak on the Dao after each class. My friends and I would always stay to learn. The Dao was very interesting. Well, mostly it was confusing. "A hungry man has no patience." But we stayed and listened anyway. After honestly trying to understand, some of it did make sense. I continued to listen and learn from Yuri sama for two years.

I remember running errands for Jute the crime lord. She was the head of the Yakuza in the city, a very pretty and very nice lady. She was not to be crossed from what I was told but she

always gave us plenty of hugs as she had no children of her own and she paid very well. Anyway, she was the first to comment on how better all of us looked and how much more we were able to get accomplished compared to what we were like before the lessons in Kara-Te. That made me feel very good.

By now the whole town knew me as Tozasu's nephew. I had managed to slip by them when my mother would take me to visit him at his shop. I was always dressed at my best with her, and I kept my head down. My mother and the rest of the household had always assumed I was off playing somewhere in the castle. That was about to end quickly though. One day she was looking for me and realized I was not where I said I would be. Shiro Goemon is a huge castle, but when a mother has covered it twice and no one has seen her son she soon puts two and two together. This time when I came home, my mother caught me at the door. "Hiro!" I was suddenly very scared.

"Yes, Mother?"

"Come with me." She headed into the house. I followed her until she sat in the main room of our house.

"Where have you been? And why are you dressed in that manner?" She was angry from the worry I had caused her. I loved my mother, so I told her everything.

"I have been pretending to be a heimin, Mother."

"...Why, Hiro?" She had a shocked look on her face.

"I wanted to see the town and how the people lived."

"But I could have shown you the town. We go to see your uncle often enough."

"But the people do not talk to us. They bow and step aside like they are afraid of us."

"That is out of respect for a great samurai's family."

"Yes. But they still will not talk to me." She changed her questions then.

"What have you been doing with them?"

I told her about the geisha and how my friends and I help them. "For money?" She asked. I nodded. "What else?" I told her about all of the people I help and the monk and his classes. I even told her how I talked with Lord Eita from time to time and how he would watch me at class, from the shadows. She asked many questions about my relationship with him and what he had said or asked me.

"I do not remember everything he has said. I have known him for two years. Besides he has always been very nice."

"He is a Daimyo's son Hiro. There is always more at stake when you interact with the

nobility."

"He is just my friend, Mother."

"No. He is your friend, but he is also a Lord and you have done something unusual in his

presence, which means there is a chance he may have plans for you." I was confused. It must have shown as she went on to explain. "Noblemen see everything as a hindrance or an advantage. And I do not know him well enough to know what scheme he may have in mind for you." She looked worried, the one thing I had been trying to avoid. "What about the money you have earned. Where is it?"

I retrieved the box from my room and brought it to her. When she opened it she was mildly side tracked by some of the souvenirs I had acquired.

12