Beauty--Remastered Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Donovan's mouth tightened. "No. Why would I be? It's not mine."

"Are you sure? You've been married for about two months...it's hard to judge how far along she is right now, but if you bring her in to the office in a few days, I'll run all the proper tests. All that aside, you're going to experience one of the greatest things in this life, with, may I be so bold to say, one of the most delightful young women I've ever had the privilege to examine. Congratulations, my lord!" The older man shook his limp hand.

"But we never..." Donovan turned suddenly and stormed away. How could she not tell him? And how could she...the thought made him want to slam his fist into the wall. She wasn't what she said she was. She acted innocent, but...he should have known. How could she lie to him? Even after they stopped hating each other.

Who was the father?

"My lord..." Abner called. "Lady Alford would like to see you. I'll let the doctor out."

Instead of going in to Scarlet, Donovan paced the halls after they were gone. His mind was reeling. How could she have kept that a secret? And what did she expect—it hit him suddenly.

His mind recalled the night he had the dream about her. She'd whispered a name. What was it? Joey? He hadn't thought about that since then. She had professed her love to this Joey. She and Joey must have gotten too carried away. Now, she was most likely carrying his child, and since she was arranged to marry him anyway, he was the obvious saviour.

She had married him to hide the evidence. Maybe Joey was married. She loved Joey, and they'd gotten carried away, done all the things Donovan ached to do with her, and when all was said and done, and she realized her mistake, she had thought of *him.* That way, if she did end up pregnant, she could blame him. It hurt him that she lied and would use him like that.

And to think he was about to profess his undying love to her. That thought made him laugh. It had died pretty damn fast.

"Donovan?" Scarlet's small voice came from the doorway and he turned toward it. "Can...we should talk." He pushed past her into the room, pretending not to care that she almost fell. He barely held himself from catching her. "I'm sorry, Donovan. I—"

"You lied to me, Annabelle."

Scarlet's heart sank. He hadn't called her 'Annabelle' in a long time. She was Scarlet now. "I didn't know."

"How could you not know?"

"I don't know!" her voice rose and she fought back tears. The hateful look on his face was horrible. He was glaring at her. "My...bleeding is always off, and I thought it was just that. I swear I never did anything with anybody, except you! I'm a – I was a – I'm a virgin. I swear! Donovan, please, please, please believe me!"

"Why should I? Everything you've said to me has been a lie." His voice was quiet, calm, and so sad.

Her eyes filled. This wasn't real. No way could she be pregnant, after everything they'd done - or hadn't done, in this case. The doctor was wrong, and she'd prove it. "No, I wasn't lying!"

"Get out."