All Comments on 'Bethany's Decision'

by Exar0415

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 19 years ago
Background noise

The story was okay, maybe a little better than okay - but the background was all screwed up. The father, unless disabled by wounds, would NOT have been sent home from Normandy, hero or not (the only exception being a Medal of Honor winner - but those took a while to be awarded - often long enough for the hero to be killed in another action)

And - in point of fact most people joining the Army in 1941 were being drafted - in the summer of 1941 the idea of war with Germany was less popular than the idea of war with Iraq is right now Look it up

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightover 19 years ago
So what would come next?

This is a very interesting story, but I can't figure out what's going to happen. There are a few inaccuracies that the next commentator didn't pick up -- Eisenhower was President Eisenhower in 1956 (and campaigning for re-election), not just a general; and I don't think American soldiers went anywhere near Auschwitz until long after the war. Dad could have grabbed the weapon from a German officer at Mauthausen, Bergen-Belsen, or Dachau instead, or maybe some camp that was less well known. Very good depiction of the Mormons, so far as I know -- I had a close Mormon friend who helped me in my early writing. But what is this young lady going to do with the P-38 -- blow both those greaser guys to hell? That would be pretty hard to explain even back then, impossible now. Or would they "liberate" her to a career of being an early Caril Ann Fugate? (Look up her story; it's been told a few times.) Interesting, but many questions arise; if you write a follow-up, please address them.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous