Between The Lines Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was long retired, though – I'd guess he was in his eighties by this time (although his 'age' was one of the very few taboo subjects when you were in his company), but still bright as a button. It took me a bit of time to find him. His address was in the phone book, but I wasn't familiar with the area and I managed to get lost a couple of times before I finally parked up in front of a neat little semi-detached house – the only one in the street which had the front garden paved over.

When he opened the front door, he stared at me for a few moments until recognition dawned, then:

"Fuckin' Hell! Jack de Ladd! What are you doin' here? I haven't seen you for... come in, come in!" And then, as I followed him down a short hallway and into his living room, "If I knew you were coming...."

"You'd have baked a cake?" I suggested.

"No... I'd have hidden all my old scripts to stop you nickin' any gags!" Obviously, some things weren't easily forgotten.

"You're still male, then?" I grinned as I settled into a chair, reminding him of a joke we'd shared many years ago, "Still can't afford the operation?"

"What would be the point?" he answered, "I'd still be seeing an old cunt when I looked in the mirror, wouldn't I?"

Jimbo made a pot of tea and opened a pack of assorted biscuits – with an admonition to leave the 'jammie dodgers' for him. To begin with, we chatted about old times; about people we'd known and things we'd seen until, after a while, he sat back and said;

"Okay, Jack... you haven't come to see me just to shoot the shit like this... what are you after?"

I took a deep breath and told him, "I'm interested in porn, Jimbo."

"Don't worry... it'll pass when you get to my age," he couldn't resist a line like that, but he went on, "D'you want to be more specific?"

"From about ten years ago, Jimbo," I told him, "made at the Harold Smith studio."

"Studio? It was a fuckin' farmhouse down the Watford Road. He called it Ellstree Studios – with a double 'L' so he wouldn't get sued. Has this got something to do with your missus?"

As I said, he may have been getting old but there was nothing wrong with his mind or his memory.

"Ex-wife, Jimbo," I said firmly, "and, yes... in a way. But I'm more interested in a lady named Millie von Koch. Do you remember her at all?"

Why was I asking a gay, female impersonator about such things, you might well ask?

I'd better explain. One of the things that identified Smith's porn movies was that there was always some kind of 'comic relief' interspersed with the action. At that time, Jimbo's star was definitely on the wane; at his best, he'd spent a couple of years appearing in a sitcom on national TV but things had gone downhill very rapidly for him after that. From good quality cabaret, he'd gone to strip clubs and second-rate nightclubs; hitting the bottle, and taking drugs to 'enhance' his performance. Things had really hit the fan when one of his 'paramours' had turned out to be a month or so below the legal age of consent. His former fame had taken him into the headlines on a particularly slow news day so that, even though he got off with a fine and probation, his career was effectively over.

He became a regular in Smith's movies – always playing the excessively 'camp' observer making dry comments on the characters involved in the action. At the time, I'd offered him a chance to appear as a guest on a fairly decent gig I'd been booked to do, but he'd politely turned me down, told me he was past it, and thanked me for being a genuine friend for asking.

"Millie von Koch?" he mused, "the name rings a bell, but... wait a minute! Yes... I remember her! She was only in one film, though." Then his eyes closed for a minute or so as he tried to drag something from the filing cabinet of his memory.

"Yes... that's right!" he suddenly declared. "She was young... probably about 19 or 20... quite tall... and absolutely gorgeous!" I raised my eyebrows at that, and he smiled; "I may be as bent as a fuckin' corkscrew, Jack... but it doesn't stop me appreciating genuine beauty. I remember it was her first venture into acting... she was nervous... very nervous. But it only took a few seconds to know that the camera loved her. You know what I mean? God... yes! It's all coming back to me now.

"I was there for the first day... we had a scene where I was the butler and she was the maid. We had to bring your missus... sorry, your 'ex' ...and some stud or other into the room. Then there was a bit of wordplay which ended with me taking the guy off somewhere – obviously 'with intent.' The gag was that, throughout the film, the stud kept trying to get away from me and I kept dragging him off for more! It actually worked quite well!"

"And Millie?" I reminded him.

"Oh, yes... well she stayed on camera with Daly and seduced her. I tell you what, though, Jack... that girl could really act. No disrespect, but she made your ex look like the beginner in that scene. I mean, I'm not talking about the sex – that was pretty much simulated stuff because Daly wasn't keen on that kind of thing. No... it was the way she looked so natural and the way she handled the dialogue. I think all of us were impressed."

"So what happened?"

"I dunno! I came back the next day and she was gone. I don't know what happened, but I heard they'd tried to get her to do things she wasn't prepared to do. In one way, it was a shame because she would have been a star... no doubt about that! At the same time, I have to admit she was too good for the kind of seedy porn we were making. Have you any idea what happened to her, Jack."

"No... I was hoping you might know."

He waited... obviously hoping for an explanation, but I simply said that the name had come up in connection with something else. I wasn't prepared to tell him that I was trying to help Penny by finding out about the person who'd been recommended for the lead in her script. He wasn't satisfied, of course, but he knew better than to push me over it and we soon changed the subject. He told me that, on one of his rare evenings out, he'd been to see me perform a year or so earlier and enjoyed it but....

"But what?"

"By the time you came out for your third set I could tell you'd been having a drink. Don't get me wrong, Jack... I'm sure the audience couldn't tell... but I could."

"It was a phase, Jimbo," I told him, "I'm over it now."

"Make sure you are, Jack. You're a good performer. And I don't know whose material you're nicking nowadays, but it's not half bad!"

"Piss off, you old fart!" I laughed and he grinned at me, then he said;

"I know you were always fond of the old American comedians, weren't you?" and when I nodded, he went on, "I remember you slipping in a few of their lines when you were younger; Groucho, Burns, Milton Berle?" I squirmed a bit, but I couldn't deny it.

"D'you know who was the best of them all, Jack?"

"Go on!"

"Jack Benny! And you know why?" he saw the look on my face so he explained; "he wasn't afraid of silence. He had perfect timing... most of them did... but Jack Benny knew how to 'milk' a joke more than anyone I've ever seen.

"I saw him one time... he told the gag and the audience laughed... then he waited. Then he sort of folded his arms... and they laughed some more. Then he slapped his hand against his face... and they laughed again. Then he turned side on to the audience and shrugged... and they were rolling in the aisles!

"D'you know how long he did that for? More than five minutes, Jack! One gag... not even a particularly brilliant one... and he had them falling about for more than five minutes! That's genius, Jack. That's true comic genius!"

"He was a one-off," I said, "But what you made you...."

"Because that's what you need," he interrupted. "You need to conquer the fear of silence, Jack. You've got the timing, you've got decent-enough gags... but you need to give the punters time... you need to add to the punch lines. I'm not saying you'll ever be as good as he was, don't get me wrong... but you need to get more from your material. In fact, if you... Stark Whores!"

"What?"

"The film we were talking about! It was called 'Stark Whores!' Just wait there a minute, Jack!" And he was off to rummage in his souvenirs.

*

7.

An hour or so later I was pulling up in the gravel of the driveway I'd left earlier. There was no screech of brakes and I barely disturbed the surface but, by the time I'd switched off the engine, Mason was opening the door for me.

"I'm afraid there's nothing prepared, Sir" he said, "I didn't know what time you'd be back and...."

"No problem, Mason," I replied, "Actually, something's come up and I need to get to the railway station...."

"Just let me know when you're ready, sir, and I'll take you there."

I thanked him and hurried up the stairs to pack my things. It didn't take long and he was busy in the kitchen when I came back down. He paused in the task of skinning a couple of rabbits with an evil looking knife. He looked at me, then at the bag, and then at me again. I thought he was going to say something but, whatever it was, he decided against it. He quickly, and very efficiently, finished his job, disposed of whatever wasn't needed and put the rest in the fridge before washing his hands and saying;

"I'm ready, now if you are, Mr de Ladd?"

We went back out to the drive and climbed into the Passat again. It was clear that he wanted to say something as we drove towards the station, so I said:

"We're alone, Mason. Say what you want to say... no one's ever going to know."

At first, he held his peace but then, with a sigh, he finally said:

"You saw what I did to those rabbits, Mr de Ladd? Well... let me tell you something; Miss Pendlebury is a delightful young lady. Both my wife and I have a very much higher opinion of her than we do of any other member of her family. I happen to think that you're a decent gentleman... but I want to tell you that if you ever do anything to hurt that young lady, I'll treat you the same way I treated those rabbits – except that you won't be dead when I do it!"

"Wow!" I finally answered, noting that both his face and voice were completely expressionless and there was no doubt that he meant exactly what he'd said. "Thank heavens for that! For a moment, I thought you were going to threaten me with something nasty, Mason!"

He responded with a tight smile that, somehow, seemed scarier than anything he'd said - and the rest of the journey passed in silence. I bought my ticket and boarded the train less than fifteen minutes later.

It was quiet and I had the carriage more or less to myself. It was just as well, really, because I would not have wanted anyone to see the tears that slid down my cheeks for most of the journey. I cried over what I'd learned that day – things I hadn't expected and didn't want to know.

Most of all though, I cried for the large envelope I'd left on Penny's dressing table: the one with the words 'EXCLUSIVELY HONEST?' scrawled on it. The one that held a picture of Millie von Koch living up to her name by sucking on a man's erection – or should I say, the picture of a very young 'Penny' Pendlebury!

12
  • COMMENTS
31 Comments
ChopinesqueChopinesqueover 1 year ago

I love the jokes.. and the story ain't at all bad either!

Mugger, with gun, pointing it at notoriously stingy Jack Benny, on an empty streetcorner: "Your money of your life!!" Benny, open-mounthed: "..................." (Audience gets it, howls..)

Mugger, who has amazing timing himself, after loooooong silence: "I said, your money, or your life!!!" Benny, faded with two horrible fates, "............................................................" Audience laughing their guts out..) Again, looong pause, eventually, mugger: "I said, your money or your life!! What's it going to be??" Benny, still incapable of speech, audience having hysterics.. Finally, mugger raises gun.. Benny: "I'm thinking it over!!" Audience gets the punchline, laughs even more loudly, for seemingly ever..

The perfect joke, never bettered.

fanfarefanfareabout 11 years ago
I dunno?

I have enjoyed all the Mitchfren submissions that I have read to date.

And from my limited experience on the edges of the seedier sides of the entertainment slums, 'Between the Lines' is a well-crafted storyline.

But now I have two problems of glaring inconsistencies that have interrupted my comprehension of story development. First, the sudden insertion of the ex-wife. A terrific and delicious shock and then suddenly it falls flat. There is missing a scene between the end of chapter 02 and the beginning of chapter 03.

The author manages to catch up with the missing explanations by the last quarter of chapter 03. But, I am of the opinion that it was an error not have the info about the ex-wife at the beginning of the third chapter. Perhaps intentional? Perhaps the scenes got out of order during multiple editings?

An then the revelation that perhaps the innocent ingenue and the poor little rich girl are the same person needs clarification. Unless that interpretation is incorrect, a red -herring by the author to deliberately confuse we readers?

If the author's intent is to turn the Loving Wives genre inside out like a Klein Bottle, a couple of more questions need to be asked. From a dramatic perspective, the ex-wife and the rich girl should have had some sort of confrontation in the third chapter. This should have followed a scene of mildly humiliating pretense of civility between the ex-wife and the schmoe comedian.

And then, I have never understood the LW writers propensity to portray the male protagonist's as sniveling cowards who run away every time there is the misinformed possibility of the male ego getting bruised. Yeah, I know, in real life men's testosterone driven, hormonal hysteria drive them to either viciously assault anyone perceived physically weaker or take a high-dive into alcohol &/or drugs. And then viciously assault women and children.

I just do not see that the author has provided us enough background to aide us in understanding deLadd's compulsion to run away. And, I gotta wonder, this big mansion setup, with the rich parents far gone away, and one caretaker visible? Is it real or are Penny & associates squatting on someone else's property as a front for some swindle they are involved in?

Press on! Oh Bold Pioneer of Erotica! Chapters Abound Awaiting....

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
You Have Studied Well

for you are certainly too young to have known all of those great comedians at first hand, and you are an avaricious historian or well-grounded in "Show Biz"! "Thanks for the memories" (Hope), and I watched Jack Benny do that scene about six times in one of his movies while ushering at a movie theatre in my teenage years. It was absolute magic! And if you can't tell by now, I'm old enough to be Jack de Ladd's grandfather.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
A Tangled web we weave

Why wouldn't the "ex" have recognised Penny as the fabled Millie at the initial meeting ??.

Could it be that Penny is not Millie but she has either a half sister or maybe (shock, horror) it's her mum or aunt....

BTTapBTTapover 11 years ago
I'm having a hard time putting it together

Really good and you've got me wondering about what game is going on exactly: who's fucking with whom? And why?

What could Penny be getting out of this? Is the ex really insisting on Ms. von Koch playing the lead? If so, why would Penny engage in the deception with Jack? Jack could probably handle Penny being Millie, so why lie about it? If the condition of Millie/Penny starring is real, how could Penny ever hope to keep it a secret from Jack?

Forget the deception itself (which frankly seems trivial; Jack would almost certainly not care if Penny, the little-rich-girl-lost stripper, ertswhile non-exclusively lesbian has a history as a fellatrix or not); why would Penny engage in it, especially when the other shoe is seemingly just barely hanging on the tip of a toe?

Obviously, another chapter is necessary to untangle this web of deceit.

Show More
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

All My Fault A wife's plan to divorce her husband goes awry.in Loving Wives
A Different Thing Entirely That is what she didn't understand.in Loving Wives
Never Say No Ch. 01 Tony keeps his promise to never say no.in Loving Wives
The Lazy Lemon Sun Ch. 01 In my brother's shadow.in Loving Wives
The Key to Sex Wife tries to make husband a willing cuckold. Big mistake!in Loving Wives
More Stories