Black and White Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then he got the bright idea of getting to some high structure. He realized now it was a stupid thing to try, but he had to do something. So here he was, clambering the steps of the public clock tower, striding the steps two at a time. He had already climbed eight floors. There were still 6 more to go. And the flights of steps were huge. Each flight had adjacent open windows and he could see unbelievable sights of battle unfurling in front of his very eyes. A gigantic fiery bird? Were Will and Scott capable of using something like that? So all this time they could do things like that? Where the hell was he all this time?

Aiden's phone buzzed in his pocket as he grumbled and fished it out. Tinka had been calling incessantly earlier and Aiden had finally answered her call to tell her he would talk later. She was still messaging him. But looking at the display Aiden froze. He wiped the sweat off his brow with the back of his hand as he paused a few seconds to catch his breath. Then he picked up Jason's call.

"Hello?" Aiden inquired, very aware of how his voice was sounding.

No answer from the other side. Aiden waited a few more seconds before he spoke again.

"Jason, are you there?"

Suddenly Jason's voice broke out from the other side. "Hey wazzup! How's the makeover dude?"

And for a few moments Aiden forgot everything else around him. This was Jason. This was how Jason was trying to make up to him. And this was his roommate straining to say he had accepted him. His hear felt warm and light.

"Yeah, fine. How are you."

"Perfect." Jason replied.

The line went silent as both searched for something to say.

"So err, you have a lecture now right? At 8?" Jason inquired.

"Yeah, but I'm skipping that."

"Seriously? That's hardly like you. Where are you?"

Aiden paused as he once again noticed a colossal flaming red bird soaring through the sky. "Err Jason, you might want to take a look outside."

"Why what's..." there was silence on the other end for a few seconds before Jason's voice cracked loudly through Aiden's receiving end. "Holy Crap!"

"Yeah." Aiden muttered from the other side.

"What the fuck is that?"

"Will tell you later. Gotta go for now," Aiden quickly spoke into the phone.

"Uh huh." Jason managed to mumble form the other side.

"And Jason..."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for calling. It means a lot to me."

"Yeeaah." Jason drawled softly from the other side. Apparently his eyes were still fixated on the fantatic sight he had just seen.

"Later then." Aiden stated quickly and promptly cut the phone. He had important matters to attend to now. Or was he just making a fool of himself?

Aiden continued his ascent up the long flights of steps. 3 minutes of strenuous efforts later, he finally made it to the terrace alongside the town clock. He stood dismayed as he saw the massive shoal of people who had gathered there and were watching the skies. Some dumbstruck, some in awe, some in shock and other with cameras and cellular phones aimed towards the skies.

Well, what the hell was he going to do now anyway? He noticed the time in the tower clock. It was 8:02 AM. He smiled as he thought to himself that he couldn't go back now – he had already missed his lecture.

He waded through the sea of people straining their necks, looking up and aww-ing disbelievingly as they took in the fantastical sights unfurling before them.

~~~

White smiled satisfactorily even in his torn-down condition. Summoning the giant phoenix had been a good decision, even though it took unimaginable amounts of his energy to do it. But he could take a small respite as Black continued to engage the phoenix in combat. In fact Black could only dodge the giant bird as it screeched and lurched for him every time. It was as if a giant hawk was trying to capture a tiny gadfly. The rain that fell on the giant bird's form or anywhere near was sizzling and evaporating

Black was having a tough time. Heaven's god, the flaming phoenix was humongous, but was nowhere as fast and swift as he was. The fiery bird squawked and tried to follow his trajectory, but his maneuverability was too high; he was literally flying circles around the red flaming bird. But the flames were piping hot and were searing his skin. He would have to go on the offensive and start attacking the phoenix now. Then he could move onwards with his nemesis White.

The giant bird screeched an ear piercing scream as it plunged towards him but Black swiftly dodged it. "Ambulatory Ability 7; Shimmer Teleport" he chanted and slowly faded away from the present dimensions as he appeared directly behind the creature, being careful to avoid the trajectory of it's blazing wings and tail. He held out his arms once more to chant a powerful internecine spell.

"Internecine Ability 57; Ineluctable Disintegra..." Black withdrew with a plunge as the Helos Saber swung out at him, ghastly severing his left arm. The bloody form of the Keeper of the Light was soaring above him with a determined expression. He had not allowed him to complete his spell.

White swung his sword, his teeth gnashed as he dove inwards towards the dark Seraph, striking the Blades of Alacrity with powerful blows. Black countered them and dived towards White only to be cut off by the flaming phoenix returning towards him once more. Black recoiled his trajectory avoiding the gigantic creature, realizing that this had now become a two-to-one battle. He would have to balance it out.

The fallen angel clasped his palms in a seal formation and held them above the centre of his chest. He called forth the ancient energies that lay embedded within him.

"Ability of the Shadows 99; Hell's avatar, Angel of Death."

Static energy appeared around Black and a pillar of black light dropped down from the sky. The beam hit the ground hard as the Earth shuddered and cracked, before the entire ground split open in an earthquake with its epicenter where the black beam had hit the ground. Buildings crumpled and fell as the ground cracked further and further apart and dust and smoke shrouded the entire area. A low rumbling noise shook the surroundings and a giant form emerged as the dust settled – the angel of death - a giant black pterodactyl shaped winged creature with dimensions comparable to the flaming phoenix itself. It's beak was more than 50 meters long and had shining white criss-cross gartered markings on it Throughout the length of it's entire body were engravings that looked like they had been done in icy crystals. Even its eyes were as ice crystals, shining and cold. The giant bird let out a swirling breath of frost before it took to the air and soared towards its enemy, the flaming phoenix.

The two birds crashed high in the atmosphere as the black pterodactyl locked it's claws on the fiery phoenix. The blazing phoenix screeched and attacked the black angel of death with its own claws and fiery breath as the two massive creatures became a gigantic conglomeration of orange and black monsters that tumbled and somersaulted in the air before they crashed heavily onto the ground far below, the impact shaking the earth for miles, as tall buildings were instantly reduced to rubble and ruins.

The monstrous creatures disentangled themselves before hurling themselves at one another again, rolling along the earth, leaving a trail of blazing and freezing carnage in their wake. Clawing, shoving, biting, each avatar struggled to get the better of the other and win this battle for their respective masters. Parks, buildings, ponds, streets; everything was reduced to debris as the lumbering creatures tumbled over them. Finally the phoenix broke free of the grasp of the darker bird and took to the air while the later chased after it.

Aiden watched stupefied from atop the clock tower. The giant monsters had come as close to about 200 meters from the tourist tower he was on, before they leapt to the air. And even from that distance he had felt the forceful thrust of the hot and chilled air that blasted around him, leaving him stunned. All around him people screamed and ran as they panicked and tried to get off the roof.

A stampede ensued as people trampled on fallen others and all rushed towards the only exit from the roof. A minute later, the massive tower terrace lay bare, completely devoid of human presence; all having been frightened out of their skins, having desire to live and having fled from there. Devoid except for a lone boy standing silently as he watched the epic scale war unfold before him, Aiden stood there with sadness in his eyes; was all this happening because of him?

Aiden looked up to the sky, his mind filled with feelings as diverse as awe, sadness and confusion. Two enormous birds were combating each other in the skies as rain poured down, their forms left an eerie orange red glow for miles. Below on the ground was widespread destruction as buildings and structures toppled over like a pack of cards. Hundreds of people were dying below and Scott and Will were fighting up there somewhere. And HE was the root cause for all this. Lightning flashed making his form a scary silhouette as the lone boy stood transfixed on the roof beside the clock tower.

White was battling his darker enemy with all his might. His muscles were ripped and were giving away as blood still oozed and trickled out of every pore of his body. The mighty swords were clashing against each other as White took note of the mayhem and destruction occurring below. He prayed silently that Aiden was safe.

White realized that sleight of swords would achieve him nothing. Black had been fighting tirelessly whereas he on the other hand was weakened form the beginning. He would have to resort to something else. He waited for a break in their fighting and upon finding one immediately raised the Helos Saber upwards as he voiced, "Ability of the Light 98; Holy Storm."

Chains of lightening accumulate higher above the fighting forms as the sky glowed with massive static charges lurking behind dark clouds. Static charges rife with lethal energies that now White could unleash. He brought down his hands as a massive bolt of white lightning struck down towards Black who barely managed to avoid it. White concentrated more of his powers and brought down one beam of lightning after another, Black flitting about trying to escape the bolts of massive energy.

"Got him!" White yelled as the dark Seraph took a direct hit and plummeted towards the ground, his body and wings in fumes. But White was not done yet. He mustered his remaining spell power and hit the crashing form of Black with all the remaining static charge behind the clouds. One, two... seven more direct shots later the great white angel was left out of breath as Black's form crashed onto the ground beneath.

White swooped down and landed next to his un-stirring enemy.

The smell of burning flesh was rife in the air as White observed Black's burning body lying face down on the ground. Had he finally defeated his foe? 'No!' he voiced in his mind as he heard Black mumbling something. "Ability of the Shadows 97; Shadow Morasses."

Instantly everywhere around White shadows deformed and rose of the ground as they burgeoned with engulfing profiles and leapt towards him. White swiftly took to the air as the shadows followed suit. But they would only rise to a certain height.

White was shocked. His opponent had managed to use such a powerful spell in that condition? If he got struck by those shadows once, it would most likely be over for him. Black was indeed a redoubtable opponent.

The soaring white angel watched as the shadows surging upwards followed him and then stopped as they reached their maximum stretching limit. He waited to catch sight of his opponent as the dark forms receded. The darkness slowly vanished but Black was nowhere to be seen.

White panicked. Where was Black? Had he stealthily taken leave from the battle to kill Aiden first? Immediately he concentrated to search for the boy's presence.

The humongous creatures of hell and heaven continued their aggressive tussle not far away.

~~~

There are moments when great things happen. And there are those in which a lot of important things happen but only some remain etched in memory. As streaks of lightning flashed across the sky and thunder bellowed rumbling low and deep, some of those moments were about to 'happen'. Important events that would change the course of history and even more important ones that hardly any would remember.

Aiden squinted his eyes as he looked towards the skies. He had caught sight of the two winged angels in the skies earlier – a fleeting glance of a few seconds till the rain and his vision deterred him from seeing them anymore. And now the boy stood, mouth agape, staring frantically into the skies before him, trying to catch sight of the people he loved, as large droplets of rain pattered down on his face making him blink several times. But all he could see were two gigantic creatures of ice and fire contesting in the skies above, and those were not the two angels.

Lightning flashed blindingly and Aiden felt a movement behind him. He whirled around to find a Dark silver angel, bleeding from several lacerations as his skin burned and smoke fumed from his body. His wings were chipped and cut at places but stood high above the timid boy.

"Will!" Aiden cried out but any thing else he had to say got caught in his throat as the dark Seraph lifted a sword in the air with an intent to kill. Black stepped forward, his sword raised high as fear instilled itself into the eyes of the young Alchemist.

Aiden stood paralyzed as the sword swung forward and shut his eyes. So this was how he would die? He waited for the inevitable.

Aiden stood there his body pulled tightly into himself. Was he dead? No. Certainly not. He had felt no pain of a sword slicing through his body. In fact he had not felt anything at all. Only the raindrops stinging his skin. He opened his eyes apprehensively. There in front of him was the dark angel, Will. His sword hung low in his hand as he stared at Aiden with confusion plastered all over his face. Confusion, question and fear.

"Why?" Will asked with pain on his face.

Aiden could not make sure because of the rain, but he knew there were tears streaming down the elder man's cheeks. And Aiden understood immediately. Aiden knew Will was bleeding his heart out. He wanted to know why he was trying to kill the person he loved. Will's eyes were steadily turning milky white.

"It's me Will." Aiden stated softly and Will bowed his head low in shame. But Aiden could see that his eyes were once again turning green. The 'Stone of Subjugation' that lay embedded within his heart had cracked but had not broken. It had not completely unharnessed itself before, and this time it released the powers of subjugation mixed with insanity full force. And it's depravity made it's way through Black's veins.

Will lifted his head and screamed. A scream of pain, of anguish and of hurt. And then he raised his sword to kill the boy once and for all.

This time Aiden had no fear in his eyes. He smiled sadly as the sword struck down.

SWISH!

It was White again to the rescue. Only this time he had stopped Black's sword with his body. The sword had sliced through his shoulder and collar bone and lay embedded in his chest, just above his heart.

"I told you that you're not leaving a single scar on him." The bloodied white angel gritted through clenched teeth before he heaved Black backwards and the jagged sword withdrew from his body, pulling out chunks of flesh as obscene amounts of blood splashed onto the wet floor below and turned all the accumulating water a deep crimson.

"Then you die first!" Black growled as he raised his dual blades and swung maniacally at White.

White barely countered and dodged the blows. He had reached his limit, having over drained himself and his energies several times over. His sword played lightly with the two savage blades of his opponent before it flew out his hand and he stumbled backwards landing with a splash on the ground, barely sitting upright in his pain.

"Yes Witenhoem, you were right", the pyrrhic victor bellowed. "This ends today!"

"NO WIIIIILLL!" Aiden screamed from behind.

And then it happened. A critical time in our story had begun. One that would shape things for centuries to come. One that would end our story.

Black stopped short with his sword inches above White as the Stone of Subjugation shattered within his heart. The 'impossible to surmount' stone had been defeated and that was the first moment that Black looked down at his enemy confused, totally free from the evil powers of subjugation that the Empress had impressed upon him.

That was the exact moment that Empress Woe appeared on the material plane, back from the virtual world of Frigeria after apparently having slain her foe. And she immediately realized that the stone had been destroyed and no longer was her guardian totally under her control.

And a couple of seconds later, while Black still looked with confused eyes towards his enemy and tried to make sense of his position, White jerked up and pulled at one of his opponents blades and thrust the same into Black's chest, and through the darker angel's heart.

Aiden stood stunned. The little girl covered her mouth with a hand. White pushed himself back as he dark Seraph fell to the ground, his face with a confused expression as he tried to search for Aiden. White had finally finished his foe.

Everyone stood still for a period of time. A period that none present would be able to specify exactly. Aiden was the first to move. He walked quietly towards the slain body of his lover. The same lover that had tried to kill him. The man he loved. The boy walked over and fell on his knees looking mournfully into the dead face of his lover as a sword thrust out obscenely from the centre of his chest. Will was dead.

"Aiden?" White questioned softly as he looked to the face of the person he loved. And even though it was raining, White could see that the boy shed no tears. Aiden never cried.

And then one of those moments took place. Aiden's body suddenly started radiating with a yellow glow. A glow that was soft to start with and steadily turned blinding. Aiden's silhouette stood up as the ground beneath him started to sizzle and pop before it melted. His eyes had turned an aberrant shade of red. White and the Empress watched with their mouths agape. The Alchemist had just realized his powers.

And within those seconds Aiden understood the nature of everything around him. His body gradually stopped glowing yellow and turned back to normal as he looked all around. He could see clearly now. The rain, the clouds, the structures, the life entities; and he understood everything about them. What they were composed of, how they functioned, how they were made and how they could be destroyed. He was an alchemist that understood the molecular structure of things, understanding them at the nucleus level. But Aiden could see far more than the sub atomic units. He could see the forces of life and light that flowed through everything – the 'lifetrons'. What we humans would call the forces of 'magic' for lack of a better word. And Aiden could compose and disassemble anything as he understood them.

Aiden lifted a hand upwards and the rain stopped. The dark thunder clouds receded slowly and the sun shone through.

He waved towards the two avatars of Hell and Heaven that were still engaged in battle and both the creatures writhed and shrieked before their molecular structures and animating forces broke down to dust.

He turned towards the Keeper of the Light and gently moved a hand over his chest and instantly all off White's wounds were healed as the skin hissed and even the feathers on his wings fledged from nowhere.