Blaine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who's this?" He heard the woman whisper into Caio's ear. The look on her face was skeptical. But the taller man just seemed genuinely curious. Blaine took a step back toward the door on reflex. Caio chuckled.

"Kati, Gally" he said softly, "This is Blaine. He was kind enough to help me escape the attack last night. But it seems that that action has gotten him messed up with us. They broke into my apartment earlier this morning. We had to make a run for it. I knew you would welcome us here." Caio kept his eyes on Blaine the entire time he spoke. He didn't look away until Gally made a sound like a chuckle.

"Of course you're welcome here my friend! And anyone unfortunate enough to get caught up in your messes." He patted Caio on the back and took a step toward Blaine. "You may stay here as long as you need to, my friend. It is a small apartment, and usually crowded, but we'll make space for you." He stretched his hand out toward him.

Blaine smiled and shook the offered hand. "Thank you," he said. "But.." he swallowed around the lump in his throat. "I still really have no idea what's going on." Everyone broke out into laughter then. And Blaine was too tired to be embarrassed.

"We will explain everything to you, chico, you've earned the right to know." He grabbed the boy's wrist yet again and led him over to an overstuffed, comfortable-looking couch. They sat down and Blaine curled up slightly, fighting the urge to fall back asleep. "But first, I have to ask you a few questions."

"You're going to tell me who those men were, now?" Caio sighed and looked down at Blaine. He picked out each feature of the boy's face slowly. Choppy, blond hair. Thin, light eyebrows. Eager, blue eyes. Long, curved lips.

Caio nodded. "Yes. But before you start denying or questioning anything, just let me finish, okay?" Blaine nodded then.

"Blaine," Caio started softly, "Do you live with your parents?" Blaine shook his head.

"They died when I was young," he said, his heart sinking a little at the memory.

"How did they die, Blaine?" Caio's brown eyes were burning into his.

"Why does it matter?" Blaine said a little sharply. Caio withdrew slightly.

"I'm sorry if the subject is sore, Blaine. But this is important. It'll let me know if my suspicions are correct." He added a little softer, "Please."

Blaine looked away, he could feel everyone's eyes on him. Even little Allan was sitting on the edge of his seat, excited to hear the story but trying to fain boredom.

"They were murdered," Blaine said finally. "They never caught the guy. Said they didn't have enough to go on just by an eight year old's bogus description." Blaine's entire body trembled. He was trying not to cry. Caio rubbed the boy's forearm, trying to sooth him.

"What did he look like, Blaine. This is very important. Any detail you can give."

Blaine glanced around the room, meeting each pair of eyes. He leaned a little closer to Caio and whispered, "You won't believe me. No one ever has."

"We will believe you, son." It was Gally. He crouched down by the arm of the couch and placed his large hand on Blaine's shoulder. "We are not the police, or any ordinary people. You can trust us."

The room was silent for a moment. "Blue skin," Blaine said quietly. "Spiky, black hair. Pointed, blindingly white teeth. Yellow, glowing eyes. I remember those the most. I felt them all over me. He had a scar across the left side of his face. And pointed ears, like mine." Then Blaine pulled his blond hair back and tucked it behind his ear, revealing a slight point at the tip of it. Blaine heard a collective gasp from Gally, Allan, and Katilette.

"He's a warlock!" Allan shrieked, delighted.

"But that's impossible!" Gally rocked back on his heels, looking a little stunned. "He looks nothing like one!"

"It's nonsense," Kitilette hissed. "Just a birth defect. There's no way." She was pacing the room, the only one looking upset at this discovery. "And the warlock he described. There's no way it could be true." Blaine thought he could hear her chest rumbling.

Caio stood up, addressing only Gally. "I think he is," he said quietly. "The sphere I retrieved from the Spiritials, I showed it to Blaine. He reacted to it as any warlock would. His eyes glassed over and went white like he was going to have a vision, but I put it away too soon. And shortly after he passed out."

Gally was nodding as Caio spoke. "It makes sense," he said, standing. "Crone would not meaninglessly kill any mortal beings. If he truly did kill Blaine's parents, it was for a reason. It was for Blaine."

"Excuse me!" Blaine stood, his face was red with anger and confusion. "What is everyone talking about?! Warlocks? Visions? Spiritshulls? Wait.. You know who killed my parents?"

"Spiritials," Caio corrected. "The men that were after us, that's what they were. They are a dark people, determined to destroy the fair folk. That's why they had the sphere, and that's why I had to take it. And Blaine... Crone isn't someone to get messed up in, he's a big deal in the fair world."

Blaine shook his head. The room was spinning. He didn't understand any of this. He stood up and instantly regretted it. He stumbled a few steps to the left and found himself pressed into a solid, warm chest. Caio's arms were around him, his brown eyes raking over his face.

"I know this is a lot to take in, chico, but it's true. You would have found out from your parents, when you were older. But they were taken away from you too soon."

"What are you saying?" Blaine whispered, wanting to pull away from the embrace but knowing he'd just fall if he did, "That my parents were, fair folk? What does that even mean?"

"It means," Caio said calmly, "That one of your parents was a warlock. The other may have been of the fair folk, but it's unlikely. You look more like a mortal than any mix-breed I've seen. Only your ears give you away." Blaine instinctively reached up to cover his ears - they'd always made him self conscious - but Caio stopped him and held both of the smaller boy's hands in his.

"A warlock," Blaine said the word slowly. "You mean like, spells and magic?" The thought intrigued and terrified him.

Caio chucked. "Yes," was all he said.

"All fair folk are warlocks?" he asked.

Katilette snorted from the other side of the room. Blaine glanced in her direction. She was leaning back against the wall, looking at the floor with a disgusted look on her face.

"No," Caio said patiently. "Warlocks are very rare. The fair folk are made up of all sorts. There are witches, trolls, fairies, " he paused, "Werewolves, like Gally and Katilette," Blaine glanced up at Gally. The man had a crooked, awkward smile on his face that was almost charming. Looking a little closer, Blaine could see thick, pointed teeth in the smile. "And vampires," Caio finished, "Like Allan, his parents, and... myself." He said the last word in a hesitant whisper.

Blaine looked up at the dark, Latino boy. He looked nothing like he'd imagine a vampire to look. And Allan, with that shocking red hair. A vampire child, was that possible? Didn't vampires not age? Blaine looked up again at the boy embracing him. He looked on-edge, as if judgment were being passed over him. Blaine reached up and ran a thumb over his thick, dark lips. "Can I see?" He whispered. He thought he saw Caio blush at that. Could vampires blush?

Caio pulled back his lips into a toothy smile. Slowly, his canine teeth extended and sharpened into points. Blaine was mesmerized. He reached up and ran a fingertip over one of the pointed teeth. It punctured his skin, but it was so sharp he didn't even notice. Caio inhaled sharply and jerked back, letting his arms slip away from the smaller boy. Before Blaine could react, Caio was crouched in a corner of the room, hissing slightly.

Blaine felt himself being lifted and in an instant he was in the kitchen of the small apartment. Gally had carried him in and placed him on the counter. Blaine looked up at the mountain of a man, tears forming in his eyes.

"Do not be afraid, little one," he whispered. "You have no reason to fear Cai, he would never hurt you."

"I know," Blaine hiccupped. "But he pulled away when I touched him."

Gally smiled. "Because of this, little one." Gally took Blaine's hand gently and held it up. Blaine examined his hand. A small bead of blood had welled up on his fingertip.

"Oh," he said, a little blankly. Gally wiped the blood from his finger and fastened a bandaid around it tightly. He reached up and stroked the small boy's blond hair.

"He couldn't help recoiling, you must understand. A warlock's blood is hard enough to resist to a vampire, but yours, yours is special above that. Even I can smell it. I'm surprised he had the strength to pull himself away from you. Your blood must be intoxicating to him."

Blaine blushed, though unsure why. "Why is my blood special?" He felt like an ignorant child, all of these questions bubbling up in his head.

"Because he has great feelings for you." Gally was still stroking his hair.

"What?" he blanched. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, he likes you very much. His instincts are telling him to protect you, and to take you."

"Take me where?"

Gally just shook his head.

"I mean TAKE you."

Blaine's eyebrows shot up. "Oh," he gulped. "I don't understand. We've only just met.."

"I believe," Gally said, with a slight smile, "That that doesn't matter, not when the first time you meet someone, he's saving your life. And you did, Blaine. You saved his life by letting him in your car and taking him away. He may be strong, and fast, but he couldn't have outrun them forever."

"How did you know about that?" Blaine was absently rubbing the bandage on his thumb.

"Know about what?" Gally looked down at the boy and finally stopped stroking his hair. He leaned against the counter.

"About me saving him. I didn't hear him tell you about that."

Gally smile. "Fair folk," he said slowly, "When they are very close, like Cai and I are, can form a bond. And when that bond is strong enough, you can communicate silently with each other."

"I don't understand." Blaine felt ridiculously stupid.

"I mean," he said, "We can communicate through each others thoughts."

Blaine blinked. "That's possible?"

"Only when two fair folk are extremely close. Cai and I are like family. So is little Allan, and his parents. And Katilette. But the two of us are just a bit more bonded."

"Katilette," Blaine said, "She doesn't seem to like me much."

Gally rubbed the boy's knee. "She'll come around. She doesn't like anyone at first."

Blaine sighed. Somehow, he didn't think she'd ever like him. Gally lifted Blaine off the counter and set him on the floor. "Joseph and Maree are back, would you like to meet them?"

Blaine wrinkled his nose. "I don't hear anyone." As he said it, the apartment door squeaked open and he heard Allan let out a squeal of delight. Blaine looked up at Gally, who just smiled.

"Werewolf hearing," he said, tapping his ear. Blaine shook his head and followed him out of the kitchen. Blaine looked around. Katilette was brooding on the couch, Allan was clinging to who he assume was Maree, and Caio was already in deep conversation with who could have only been Joseph. Joseph was average height, an inch or two shorter than Caio. His bright red hair left no doubt that he was Allan's father. Maree, on the other hand, had golden blond hair that curled around her face. Her pale blue eyes sparkled as she smiled down at her son.

Gally led Blaine over to the mother and son. "Maree," he said in greeting and gave the woman a gentle hug. "This is Blaine," he gestured at the small boy. "He is with Cai, he saved him last night-" Maree cut him off by throwing herself at Blaine. He yelped as he was hurled back against the wall, knocking a picture frame from its hook. Maree wrapped her arms tightly around him. He gasped slightly; she was squeezing him so hard he could barely breathe. He began to struggle in fear but stopped when he felt her body heaving. He pulled his head back. She was crying.

Maree sobbed silently, tightening her hold on the boy. Blaine patted the woman's back, still struggling to take a breath. He glanced around the room. Joseph's head whipped up, as if sensing his wife's distress. He walked over to them and gently took his wife's shoulders, pulling her away. She wrapped her arms around him and finally let out a loud, wracking sob. Blaine stayed flat against the wall.

"Thank you," she said finally, wiping a tear from her cheek. "Thank you for saving Cai. He's like a son to us." She looked up at her husband, who smiled down at her. Blaine shook his head.

"It's nothing, really-" but she held up her hand.

"Accept my thanks, please." He nodded at her request and looked around the room again. Gally and Cai were gone. Allan was sitting on the couch between Katilette and a boy that hadn't been then before. He had dark black hair and sat very straight. Allan was tugging at his shirt, talking about something that seemed to absolutely delight him, and the other boy listened intently, a tolerant smile on his face.

Maree sighed softly and smiled when she saw what Blaine was looking at. "That's Alejandro there. Allan adores him almost as much as he adores Caio. Alej joined us just a few years ago. He's mostly quiet, but he respects us and protects us all, so we love him." Blaine could see that. Every one of them seemed like a big, loving part of the family. Katilette being the exception. She seemed closed off. The only positive emotion he had witnessed from her was when she had first seen Caio.

Gally and Caio walked back into the room, Caio squeezing in between Katilette and Allan on the couch. Katilette instantly scooted closer to him. Caio didn't seem to notice. "It's time for a family meeting," Gally said, holding a hand up. Allan stopped mid-sentence and straightened up a little. Blaine had never seen a child give his attention so easily.

Maree and Joseph settled down into a love seat facing opposite the couch. Gally and Blaine were the only ones left standing. Gally smiled over at him, gesturing to an open chair at the end of the coffee table. Blaine sank into the seat and bit his lip. He couldn't help noticing Caio going out of his way to avoid looking at him. He looked stiff, uncomfortable. Blaine shook the thought from his head as Gally began to speak again.

"My family," he said. "As we know, Cai got himself into a bit of trouble last night. But he succeeded in getting the key. It's unlikely we'll be able to use it to our advantage, but as long as the Spiritials do not have it, our chances of winning are much greater. With the key in our possession, we will have the element of surprise."

Allan's hand shot up, and Blaine couldn't help but smile. Gally also let out a small chuckle. "Yes, Allan?"

Allan perked up a little more. "But Blaine is a warlock, right? Wouldn't he be able to use the key?" His freckled face was serious, but Gally only frowned.

"Blaine didn't even know he was a warlock until today, Allan. I understand what you mean, but even if he had grown up practicing the warlock arts, only a very powerful, very experienced warlock can use the key. We don't even know if Blaine has any powers," Gally explained.

Blaine let out a little sigh of relief. He was okay with being a warlock. If knowing he was one didn't make him feel any different, then being one didn't make him a different person. But if he actually had to play a role in this, battle, that was going on.. He didn't know if he could handle the pressure or stand up to the expectations.

"Why don't we give him a chance," it was Alejandro. Everyone was looking at him. He just gave a sheepish smile and continued, "What I mean is, he must be important, right? Or Crone wouldn't have taken the lives of his parents. I think he was after Blaine."

Blaine blinked. "I don't think so... I didn't even know about the fair world, what use could I be to him?"

Alejandro stood and walked over to the small blond boy, he squatted down and placed his hands on the arm of the chair, looking up into his eyes. "I can feel you, Blaine Melia. I can feel uncontrolled power radiating from you. There's something inside you, something strong and important, but it's deep down. Like you pushed it back when your parents were murdered, as if you knew that that power inside you is why they were taken from you. You thought it was a bad thing." He paused, and his intense stare relaxed a little, his eyes glazed over and turned white. When he started to speak again, there was an echo within his voice. "You were young, just barely starting to develop your powers. They were just peeking out of your sole, getting ready to emerge and be learned to wield. Crone sensed the intense power within you. He came for you, but your parents got in the way. You got away. And you pushed your power down, as far as you could. This dulled the aura it gave off. He wasn't able to find you. He couldn't track you down because he couldn't hone in on your powers..." he trailed off.

Everyone was staring at the two of them. Caio had an intense, worried look. Alejandro shook his head to clear it. He reached up and touched the boy's cheek. "I'm so sorry," he whispered. "To lose your parents so young, and hate yourself for it every day, without even knowing why. It must have been so hard."

Gall walked over then, placing a hand on each boy's head. "Alej, you saw all of what you said?" Alejandro nodded. "And I believe it. A vision of yours has never been wrong that I have seen." Gally looked down at Blaine then. "Dear little one, would you be willing to be taught to use your powers, to help us in this battle, to save the fair folk from extinction?" Blaine opened his mouth, not sure what to say.

"No!" It was Caio. He was standing stiffly, his fists clenched at his sides. "This is ridiculous! He's a half-breed warlock with no experience and almost no knowledge. He can't be of any use to us. We should send him home. He shouldn't be here." Caio stormed out of the room and down a dark hallway. Blaine heard a door slam, the sound echoed through his head.

"Oh, Blaine," Maree said softly, moving in next to Alejandro. She touched the blond boy's shoulder. "He didn't mean that..." Blaine bit his lip and closed his eyes. He fought himself internally, refusing to let himself cry in front of all of these people he had just met. He stood abruptly and headed toward the door. Before he could begin to reach for the handle, Alejandro was blocking his way, but his attention wasn't on the little blond boy. He was looking at Gally.

"It isn't safe for him to leave, Gally. Are you really going to let him just walk away, with someone like Crone after him?"

Gally sighed. "I can't force him to stay, Alej. Especially after a slap to the face like the one he just got. And if Crone hasn't found him after this long, odds are that he won't at all."

Alej snarled. "That was before. Blaine had pushed his power down. But Cai has caused it to come closer to the surface. It's flowing off of him. I could feel it on the other side of the apartment. It's strong. And it'll just keep getting stronger, and closer to emerging. He isn't safe. And he should be here when it happens, with other fair folk. He won't know what to do."

Blaine swallowed slowly, closing his eyes again. He could hear a soft rumble in Alejandro's chest, just like Katilette and Gally, which led him to believe Alejandro was a werewolf. But this rumble was different. It was deeper, louder. He cleared his throat and looked up at the boy again. His dark hair was covering half of his face, his hard breathing sending it out into the air each time he exhaled.

"Alejandro," Blaine said quietly. "Let me go, please. I don't want to be here. I want to go home." Alejandro looked down at him them, concern written all over his face. He lifted a slender hand and stroked his cheek with the back of it.

123456...8