All Comments on 'Blood and Iron Ch. 02'

by nomennescio

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Excellent writing

I was intrigued by chapter 1 and enjoyed Ch.02, hope you will continue this excellent series. Good length. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Fabulous!

I love your buildup. Your writing is crisp, and every word has a purpose. Love it!

savannuhsavannuhalmost 12 years ago
love it.

Can't wait to read the rest!

nomennescionomennescioalmost 12 years agoAuthor

Next chapter should be up soon. Tonight, maybe - I submitted it three days ago. Takes a while.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Blood And Iron

Sex or no sex this is some good writing. It would make a good short novel. Only mistakes I've found so far are in the dress of the time. During this period in the west there was no such things as blue jeans. However there were the button down Levi's that had no belt loops for a belt but instead had 2 buttons on each side to attach a pair of bracers (suspenders), with a slight v cut in the rear of the waist band with a button on each side for the back of the suspenders. They had 2 deep pockets in the front with the right pocket having inside a smaller pocket to contain a watch hence the name watch pocket that we know today. There was only one rear pocket on the right side, to generally hold a tool or a wallet as needed. If you look up www.wahmaker.com you can see the britches that I am speaking of. Oh and if you're wondering how I know this I'm a historical reenactor.

All in all I'm really enjoying the story. As I said it would make a good short novel in the vein of Louis La'amour.

nomennescionomennescioalmost 12 years agoAuthor
No blue jeans?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, anonymous. The Levis are precisely the blue jeans that I had in mind...unless they weren't blue at the time, but what little I read had certainly suggested that they were.

Now, the timing is admittedly a few years off, and doesn't quite work - Levis were patented in 1873, and the story takes place (non-explicitly) in '71 or '72. And I referred, of course, to her getting them a decade-ish earlier in '61 or '62, so...imperfect. But I figured a decade of anachronism was tolerable there.

The really tricky thing was avoiding use of electricity as a metaphor.

WarfolomeiWarfolomeiover 11 years ago
Whuh...

Good writing as usual. The whole situation fits with wild west period.

pope32767pope32767over 10 years ago
One more little glitch

In no dialect of Spanish, at any time, is it conceivable for a father to address his son with the polite form "usted". Children are always "tú", except in voseo countries, which don't include either the U.S. or Mexico.

nomennescionomennescioover 10 years agoAuthor
Mm

My inexperience with other languages shows, apparently. Perhaps I shouldn't try to slip in bits of other tongues when I don't really know how to use them.

mydaddywasadollarmydaddywasadollarover 8 years ago
Whiskey Lullaby...

Now it's certain you've poured your heart and soul into this.

SO much writing here... and yet I still can't find myself getting annoyed at the extent of description you bring to this story. I usually skim read long parts of text but this one made me wanna drink it all in. Plus.... Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley keeps playing in my head every time they get close to each other. TOTALLY the song for this story and TOTALLY an epic forbidden romance masterpiece to me. Thank you :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernomennescio@nomennescio
8/2021: I fear the spark has left me. I've started and re-started half a dozen stories over the last few years, and every time, I get stuck midway through, losing the ability to conjure up words that would demand being read.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES