Blood of the Clans Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His kin heard the sound of him approaching and several men came out to meet him. Their faces taking on a look of disbelief, as they saw McCauley's body, bloodied and lifeless being pulled on a cart.

"What happened tae McCauley, Sloan?" an older member asked first.

"My father was killed fer being foolish and stupid. He attacked Jacob MacLean from behind and was bested by him. No one has said what caused him tae attack, but it was'ne something tae draw a sword about." Sloan relayed what he knew to them.

The men took the body and laid it upon the ground, allowing the women to prepare him for a cremation.

Blain Fraser, McCauley's brother spoke his thoughts on seeing his brother dead. "We'll go now and attack they bastard MacLean's." making everyone shift to respond.

"NO!," Sloan roared out, stopping everyone with the command. "I am now the chief of our clan and I have agreed tae ally wi' the others. It's still in our best interest tae join wi' them and gain lands fer us, despite what happened tae my father. I'm tae see James MacRae in the morning and talk of our place in battle and what we'll have by the end. Any attacks the now, will see us wiped out by the clans. They've all joined as one, so going after Jacob MacLean and his clan, will see us facing close tae a eight hundred men." his words driving a point home, that their one hundred and thirty plus, were no match for almost eight times their number.

Blain gave Sloan a look of disgust at what he had decided and walked away, but the others understood the importance of what Sloan had done for them. Many offered condolences and comforted their new Chief as best they could. Sloan could see the difficulties in leading a clan and felt his stomach churn with mixed emotions of stress and anxiety.

The clan members prepared a pyre and laid McCauley's wrapped body on top. They stood around it and waited for Sloan to take the torch and send his father's soul to heaven. Sloan approached the pyre and took the torch from a male clan member. He stood looking at his father, remembering him as he was, flashes of him passing before his eyes. In a slow movement, he lowered the flames to the oiled kindling. The flames caught quickly and spread around the pyre, engulfing it. He stood back from the growing heat and watched silently, as the flames separated his father, body and soul, then turned away and walked by himself, needing to be with his own thoughts now.

In the castle, the fire was bright enough to be seen in the distance. James MacRae watched the glow light up the blackness of the night over the mountainous ridges and hoped his words were enough to keep young Sloan from being foolhardy like his father. Jacob MacLean stood beside him and watched the man he had slain only hours before, rise in smoke.

"I'll ha'e tae see how young Sloan handles himself and what control he has o'er his clan. If they can'ne be brought intae line, we may have tae rid ourselves of them." James quietly said to Jacob.

"We could use their numbers, James. They ha'e some good men among them and they can fight, I know." Jacob tried to remind James of their need for strength, but understood his trepidations of bringing in a clan that had just had their leader slain, by him.

"I ha'e my thoughts on young Fraser. He seems a more level-headed man than his father and can hold his own. It's no every man who can stand in a room wi' another man who's just killed his father and no act stupid. He handled himself well enough and still agreed tae join wi' us. I just hope he can keep his lot in line o'er there and come tae me in the morning wi' confirmation he's in control."

Blain saw his nephew sitting on a fallen log, absently stripping leaves and bark from a branch, as he sat and thought. He walked up to him and stood to his side, putting his hand on his shoulder before speaking.

"Sloan, are ye no goin' tae avenge yer father? We can'ne leave it like this." Blain said in a gentle but pressing manner.

"We are uncle, but no until we're in battle. Sit wi' me and listen tae my plan and see if ye

no agree wi' me." Sloan asked him, his eyes catching the dwindling light from his father's pyre.

Blain sat beside him and gave him his attention. "What d'ye ha'e in mind then?"

Sloan told him of his decision to join with the clans in force, giving them a chance to win lands. How during the course of the battle, Jacob MacLean would meet his end at his hand, along with as many other MacLean's they could dispose of, without being seen killing them, dwindling their numbers and lessening their force. How the end would come and their clan would be taking the seat in a castle and having lands and power.

By the end, Blain could see his nephew had been thinking long and hard on how to effectively get revenge and attain power in the same stroke. His admiration of the mastery in the plan, assured him his nephew would be a good leader of his people and bring prosperity and power to them. He rose and held his hand to Sloan to rise with him. Sloan looked in his eyes and saw the deep love for him and smiled. Blain held his wrist and pulled him strongly into a hug, Sloan returning the affection shown.

Sloan and Blain Fraser returned to the rest of the clan and called them near. Once everyone was seated, Sloan repeated his plan to them and received a rousing cheer in his favour. He stood proudly before them, swearing his oath on his father's pyre behind them, almost out now and knew he had won the loyalty of his clan. Tomorrow he would ride to Dunollie and tell James MacRae his clan was ready to join under him. He would also enquire as to what his clan's share would be, once the battling was over.

**********

Tavish held the attention of everyone, as he demonstratively related the events leading up to the battle. Argus and Stuart stood with the others, watching him with amusement, until Stuart noticed the time and called for them to return to the yacht. Once again the guests waded into the chilly loch waters and climbed into the dingy to get back on-board. Frick and Frack handed out towels for them to dry their feet and once they were dried off and the dingy secured again, the engines roared to life and the yacht carefully picked its way back through the loch and into the open sea again.

Dennis headed north along the craggy coast to Mallaig for fuel and fish and chips for the guests, before they headed back along the west coast of Skye for Dunvegan. Tavish stood at the prow railing, leaning back against it, calling for Argus to explain more about the Fraser's and what they did. Argus came up to the bowsprit and stood with Tavish and related the events as he knew them to everyone.

Votes and comments are always welcome, please take a moment to leave one. Ty RJ

12