Blood of the Clans Ch. 42

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A shrill whistle rang out, startling the men, then a hundred whistling arrows started finding their marks and felling them. The dead started causing the others to fall and stumble, confusion setting in to the others and no sense of order or direction befell everyone. In seconds, another volley whistled to their destinations and increased the confusion to one of survival only. Men tried getting across the bridge, while others in the front wanted to go back. The serene, peaceful setting, became one of carnage on a mass scale, as arrows continually rained down on the Douglas'. The men that were still in the clearing, turned and ran from the tiny peninsula to seek protection in the open ground. They collected together and set up for a defence from the forested area, never expecting a charge of riders coming from behind them. Moving along a treeline out of view, Robert had made his way along the shore, to a point only three hundred yards away from them.

Before the men could make a formidable defence, Robert called the charge and broke from cover. The clansmen knew they didn't stand a chance and ran from the charging attackers. Without the knowledge of their locations, the men ran towards the pits, just as they planned. No one understood at first, as the ground started swallowing up the men in front, as the pit's coverings fell in and the men were impaled on the spikes. The need to get away from the attacking horses, had the men running for their lives and falling in behind.

Of the hundred plus men that made it from the ambush, sixty were down without a sword or axe being swung. The men that made it past the pits, were soon set upon by the riders and bodies and heads were cleaved, as others fell under the trampling hooves, their heads and bodies smashed in and crushed. Once the riders had passed the remaining men, they turned and charged again, finding little or no resistance or fight. The last of them were quickly hacked down and left to die where they were. Robert and his men rode towards the bridge, where the slaughter was still going on.

The peaceful river was littered with bodies floating in the water, which was now stained red with their blood. The survivors made it past the gauntlet to the clearing, only to find the pits that were dug there. MacKenzie was the first one to fall in and feel the spikes pierce his body, as others fell on top of him, driving him further on them.

Donahue's were waiting in the trees with arrows and dropped any lucky enough to avoid falling in. Donnie came out from the cover of the bush and looked at the men who lay dead and dying on the ground and in the pits. He looked at them suffering in agony and ran his sword through several of them, enjoying seeing them die at his hand. Robert and the riders broke through into the clearing towards them, along with the archers following behind them on foot.

"We must make haste fer the rapids and gi'e aid tae the men. Laird Grayson will be attacking from the rear, cutting off retreat and driving them to the men. Donnie, ride wi' me. The rest, make fer the rapids wi' all haste." Robert yelled out to them and helped Donnie up behind him.

The archers and foot soldiers were running north behind the horsemen, the mile to the rapids being made in quick time. Adamson saw the rapids up ahead and slowed their pace, the hundred riders bunching closer together to make the narrow crossing. As soon as Adamson's horse made the water, Grayson gave the call to charge. The attacking clans had no idea what was coming behind them, the noise of the rapids drowning out the sound of the MacDonald's horses. Adamson had made it across and turned to watch the men, when he saw Grayson and his men charging over the rocky terrain towards them.

The area they were in gave them no way to fight, so Adamson yelled to make for the open area and assemble for the attack. Quickly the riders made their way across and dashed for the open area. As they made it into the middle, riders started to drop into the pits, as they started to amass. Grayson kept the charge coming, making the last riders hurry across and some horses losing their footing and toppling into the rapids, getting swept away from the others.

Adamson had no idea what was happening, as his horse fell backwards, throwing him onto the spikes. They gored his body, but not enough to kill him. He opened his eyes in time to see his mount coming towards him, unable to move out of the way. The half ton of horse fell on him, impaling him further down on the spikes, as his animal itself was killed by the numerous spikes penetrating it. Adamson's face was a permanent look of shock, even after he died, his eyes wide open in horror.

The others saw Adamson drop and then saw what he had fallen into and quickly looked underfoot where they were standing. They yelled to each other to watch for the pits, but more and more were dropping, as they tried to get into a defensive line. They drew their swords and rushed towards the advancing line, as they started crossing the rapids, Tormod heading straight for Grayson. Grayson saw him coming and was ready with his sword. They both swung at each other, blades colliding in ringing steel, but Grayson continued his swing and dragged the blade's edge over the horse's back flanks, making his stumble in shock. Tormod was thrown off and tumbled hard on the ground. As quick as he could, he stood and turned towards Grayson, but Grayson had already spun and was coming at him. Grayson's blade went through the light armor and into the chest and heart of Tormod. Grayson pulled the blade out, slicing through his organ and flesh, darkening the blue of his shirt, with the red of his blood.

Grayson only looked back long enough to know his sword had done its job and was now wielding it at more riders, confused to know which way to go, as men with lances, poured from the bushes and charged them. Riders were gored and driven from their mounts, unable to defend themselves from the points. The men finished them off with sword and axe, staining the ground crimson.

The MacDonald clansmen quickly gathered the horses and increased their cavalry to a more sizable force. They rode to Tioram, cheering in victory, as the first bodies of the massacre at the bridge, started to float by. The water ran red with their blood, as it

continued to drain from their bodies, The idyllic scene at Blain Bridge was one of ghastly horror, as bodies lay piled in heaps on it. The dead were strewn around both sides of the bridge, some still barely alive, but left to die in agony. The fields to the west of the bridge, were scattered with bodies, the birds already feasting on their remains, stripping bits of flesh from them and arguing over the carcasses. Grayson rode to the gate of Tioram, where Arabella was impatiently waiting for word.

"We slaughtered them, Bella and we did'ne lose a man. Sloan's plan worked better than hoped and killing that advance army up in Ben Laga saved us from ambush from them. If they had gotten word back tae the forces coming in, they would ha'e known our plans and countered them. They were led by another Captain, who by the looks of him, was serving under another Laird. MacRae, or the Earl, has brought in men of rank, tae lead the armies. There was no sign of MacRae, or the MacLean's, so it's my guess they've sailed tae Donan, fer the attack there." Grayson told her, showing his concern for what might be already happening there.

As they walked into the courtyard and up the steps, Bella let him know her concerns.

"We need Sorley and Colla tae make sure they don't make it there. Garreth knows where tae attack from, should they sail intae Alsh. It's the land forces that we don't ha'e enough of. If the army makes it tae Donan and joins wi' them, we'll ne'er be able tae win. As soon as we can, we need tae sail and ride fer Donan and strengthen our hold there. I can only hope we don't arrive too late, brother." the look of dread clear in her eyes, that it might be as she thought.

"I'll ha'e the birlinns loaded and ready tae sail. The riders can make fer Donan wi' all haste and ride until they get there. If we're in luck's favour, we will arrive before their force does and hold them off. If not, it will be a bloody battle that will be hard fought tae win." his eyes showing more concern for the possibilities he faced. "I'll ha'e Robert lead the riders, while I go wi' the birlinns and join up wi' the others. If all goes well, we can hold them off on the water, while the cavalry can come up from behind. I'm still concerned about another raid on Tioram, that could'ne be the only attack they had planned, unless MacRae wanted us here and not at Donan. He only had the Douglas' coming up the Shiel. If that was his attack on us, it was'ne near enough men tae do any harm tae us. He must ha'e his main forces going fer Donan." Grayson told her, both agreeing with their eyes, that they had been played by MacRae, to defend Tioram and leave Donan with less of a defence in an attack.

As the galley carrying Therese and Julia sailed south to France, one of the crew spotted tall masted ships approaching from the south towards them. Unable to determine the country of origin, they made their way to shore for safety, should it be English and attack them. Just as the ships were clearly visible, everyone was making for land and cover. Therese turned to see them and saw the French flags waving from the mast.

"They are my ships. They are French ships coming for me, I know it. Quickly, we must get to them and tell them of our news." she shouted out excitedly.

Everyone quickly returned and boarded again, as the men turned and rowed and sailed back, trying to catch them. It wasn't long before the lighter, faster galley caught up and came along side. The captain was called for and Therese shouted as loud as she could for them to stop and let her aboard. Once she announced who she was, the sails were ordered to be lowered and the ships slowed enough for Therese to be assisted aboard the French warship. The captain bowed to her and Therese quickly asked to go to his cabin.

Once inside, she informed him of everything that was happening back at Castle Tioram

and Eilean Donan. He was concerned for her well being only and had no orders to engage in battle, unless set upon by the Earl's forces. Therese explained that she was now married to Garreth and that he was now an ally of France and must be protected as well. The captain understood the position of things and gave orders to sail for Tioram. Therese shouted from the deck, down to the galley what was happening and said she was returning with her countrymen to defend Garreth and Eilean Donan.

She begged the clansmen to take Julia to her chateau and safety and after much deliberation, they obeyed and reluctantly disobeyed Garreth's orders and sailed to France without Therese. The sails were raised and the large ships were soon making their way north to Tioram.

**************************

"Now, the one thing that everyone had forgotten about at that point, was the English frigate, HMS Justice and the MacLean birlinns were moored on the north of Tiree and ready to attack Tioram and Knock. Justice would pound Knock with cannon fire until they surrendered, or perished with the castle, while the birlinns went into Loch Moidart and used their light cannons to blow open the gates of Tioram, while the ground forces attacked from land." Tavish explained.

"Where are all the Irish soldiers that came, Tavish?" Taylor asked, not hearing anything about them so far.

"Some of the Irish were used at Tioram as archers and others were in birlinns, waiting on the far side of the big island. They were waiting fer boats tae come in and attack. Once they did, there would be no escape from the loch, which is what happened, so let me finish up wi' what happened at Tioram and then Stuart can tell ye's of what happened at Donan. I believe Argus has something tae add from the Stewart side of the battle as well. It was Braedon and his men that made it possible tae defeat the birlinns and not sustain any more damage tae Tioram than what they did. So, Grayson and Arabella were busy getting men and horses intae the galleys and birlinns, when the call of sails rang out from the lookout."

*******************

Three birlinns sailed up the south channel, targes shielding the men from arrow attack, while small cannons were aimed to starboard, ready to fire upon command. Men left their loading duties and took up their positions. The lookout fired the same number of lit arrows, as there were boats, letting the men on the island watching, know that three boats were coming. The men were boarded and oars set, ready to attack, once the birlinns passed the castle and readied to come about and attack again.

As the boats passed, the shout was heard and cannon fire bombarded the thick walls. No great damage was done by the small shot used, but they were aiming for the gate to blow it open for the forces to attack from land. The three birlinns passed by, heavy arrow fire darkening their sight, until they were out of range. The boats came about quicker than expected and didn't fall into the trap. O'Bannion was first to row out in pursuit, giving chase to the trailing birlinn. The Irishmen rowed hard, as the light wind filled the sail, trying to get closer.

As the boats passed again, their cannons roared and shots pummelled the gate area heavily. The second boat's shot smashed the heavy, oak gate and splintered the wood as it passed through. Cheers rang out, as they succeeded in breaching the gate. One more pass and a well placed shot would finish the job and they would land and join forces with the ground troops and storm the castle. Arrows were lit and archers stood at the bow of the O'Bannion birlinn, taking aim at the broad sail cloth in front of them.

"Let yer arras loose, men." Liam O'Bannion roared out.

Smoking trails followed the arrows, as they found their mark and the sail was soon

engulfed in flames, burning pieces shredding off and dropping on the men. Another volley of arrows followed, dropping men quickly, as they tried to douse the flames. O'Bannion kept the assault going on the last birlinn, until there was no one sailing it anymore and it drifted wildly off course. Donnie Donahue ordered his birlinn to follow and soon a chase was underway to catch the remaining two, before they escaped out the loch and into open waters, where catching them was near impossible. As fast and hard as they could row, they knew they would never reach them in time and were resigning themselves to a long chase, when coming around the point from the south end, was the Stewart's.

***********************

"Want tae take it from there, Argus? If ye'll excuse me, I'll take a wee mo' fer the cause." he chuckled, as he rose and left to relieve himself.

"Aye, off ye go then." Argus told him smiling, then turned back to everyone. "Okay, Braedon. Aye. He had sat in wait at Eilean Musdile, watching fer the MacLean's tae sail up. He knew Stalker wasn't going tae be attacked, when scouts rode back and informed him that the Douglas' had sailed undercover of darkness for Tioram. He had amassed his men and birlinns, then lay in wait for them to sail past. Blain Fraser stood beside the remains of his clan's pyre, watching for sails coming down the coast and when he saw them, he ran down the steep hillside as fast as he could and boarded the birlinn. They waited for them to enter the Sound of Mull and make their way north. Once they reached the end, Braedon would sail out and follow them, hoping to ambush them from behind and catch them unaware."

*********************

Braedon had just come to the south point of the channel into Moidart, when the attacking boats were making a break for open water. Unable to manoeuvre into an attack position, Braedon did the next best thing. As the first birlinn started to pass in front of him, he had his men row hard and use every bit of sail for speed, as he headed straight amidships for the birlinn. There was no escape from the crash and men scrambled out of the way screaming, as the prow rode up and over the side of the birlinn. Splintered chards of wood flew everywhere, finding their way into the bodies of the men inside. Dozens were taken out immediately and as soon as they had a chance, archers were up and firing into the men below them, as the birlinn started to submerge below the water. A boarding party made their way over the side and the remaining men were soon slashing and stabbing the remaining men aboard.

Iain MacLean saw the carnage and bloodshed in front of him and ordered his boat to stop and surrender. The sail was dropped and oars stilled along the sides, as the O'Bannion's and Donahue's pulled along side, arrows and swords all pointing fiercely at them.

"I surrender tae ye. Spare our lives, I beg ye." Iain pleaded to them.

"Pass yer weapons tae us and then sail back tae the castle. I'll let Laird Grayson decide yer fates. Now, pass them o'er and be quick. One of ye's makes a wrong move and ye'll all die where ye stand." Liam shouted at them.

Donnie made his way to Braedon's birlinn and threw a line to them. The men quickly tied it to the stern post and Donahue had his men row hard to pull the birlinn off the remains of the other one. The crunching and cracking of wood was loud, as the birlinn was pulled off.

"Do ye ha'e any damage?" Donnie asked Braedon.

"Nothing some patching won't fix. Let's get back tae Tioram and deal wi' these men and I'll be ready tae sail in less than an hour's time." he shouted back.

Braedon's men released the tow line and the survivors were picked from the sea. Soon all boats were heading back into Loch Moidart towards the castle, a victory in saving Tioram being celebrated among the men.

Arabella had watched with her heart in her throat, as she saw Braedon's boat crash into

the other one. She was waiting at the shore for them to arrive, hoping nothing had

happened to him. Once the boats were beached, clansmen swarmed the MacLean birlinn, surrounding it with spears and swords. Iain jumped down and immediately knelt before Arabella, as he saw Sloan making his way through with his sword raised to strike.

She saw where Iain's terror lay and turned to see Sloan approaching.

"Hold yer sword, Sloan. I need tae talk tae this man before any decision tae kill him is made. I know yer justification fer slaying him where he kneels, if it comes tae pass it is so, it'll be by yer hand, I swear. Right now I need what's in his head, before ye take it off."

She looked at her once family member, trying to decide his fate. Grayson held the point of his sword under his chin and made him rise to face him. He looked into Iain's eyes, letting him see he was the hand of justice to decide his fate. Iain looked back at him and then to Arabella. Something in his heart came to the surface and he began to weep.

"I beg ye tae spare me, Arabella. I'm ashamed tae stand before ye now, knowing we were once family and kin tae one another. I only wanted tae gi'e my clan a land of their own again." he said sobbing through his tears.

Grayson understood Iain's reasoning for what he did, but his actions needed to be accounted for.

"Ye turned against us Iain. Ye abandoned us and took up wi' MacRae instead. Why should we spare yer lives? Ye joined wi' him in slaughtering a clan of o'er a hundred lives of that man there, Sloan Fraser. Ye attacked us and killed three men. How do we make ye answer fer their deaths?" Grayson asked him, still pointing his sword at Iain's throat.

"If my death will repay the lives my men ha'e taken, so be it, but spare my men, their families await them and I'll ha'e them swear before ye now, that they'll ne'er raise arms against ye's again." he pled.