Bound to My Mate Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DoctorWolf
DoctorWolf
5,670 Followers

"Ah, young one, I thought you were a healer," Cedric said with mock surprise and clucked his tongue at me.

"Even bad habits have their place," I smiled resting my head on Joel's shoulder.

I felt better now, more like myself. Being near Joel had centered me again. I was going to lose a lot, but I had gained a great deal more. It would take time, but I would heal from the pain.

Brushing my hair out of my face and drying the tear tracks on my cheeks, I had a realization.

"The big meet and greet was supposed to start at ten," I said searching Joel's face.

The women were not ready for that sort of thing right now and we were hours late for it.

"I talked to the pack when you went to find Rick. They know what happened. The meeting will be held off," Joel said.

I rose from Joel's lap and paced in the room as the men talked. Joel suggested we go upstairs, there was something he needed to discuss with me. After promising to see Cedric at dinner, Joel and I made it up to our rooms.

Joel had made arrangements for a late lunch to be delivered to us. A tray of mouthwatering chocolates were also sent up.

We ate and spoke a long time about the last part of my change. Joel had been avoiding telling me I couldn't go back. He had not wanted to see me upset. Apologizing for his weakness, Joel told me he had been keeping a secret from me.

"There have been private investigators poking around down at your old clinic. One of them even came here, but I explained to him we had stopped dating. I told him you wanted to move away, that you headed for New York to work for an international aid group. He will find several false leads there that go nowhere."

"Your family has been looking for you, but they can't find any trace. The contents of the house you had are in a storage facility here. I tried to make it look like you just moved away without leaving a forwarding address," he finally told me.

In a strange way, I was happy. Someone in the family had actually looked for me. I had not expected them to notice my absence so quickly.

The way Joel had set it up, they would probably just think I had just forgotten about them and moved on.

"That was my goal," he told me still seeming guilty.

It was my turn to comfort him. Rick was right; I had to disappear. I spoke to Joel with confidence.

"Thank you," I told him sincerely, "I think your idea will work. There is a cousin I have that is a recluse. He just cut ties with the family and lives in a rustic cabin somewhere in Wisconsin. At least, that's what his last letter said he would do. Hopefully, they will just think I'm like him. It's the most logical explanation."

I took a breath and continued, "You could have told me what you were doing. If I understood that I would have to leave them eventually, I would have worked with you."

"You were doing so well here," he said, "I wanted you to be happy, but there is one more thing."

I sat with him and nibbled on the sweets Margaret had sent up. As I sucked on a succulent piece of rich chocolate, I hoped the other women were enjoying the comfort food I had sent to them.

Joel took a deep breath, "You can't use your last name anymore. You'll need a new name. I've had my contacts give you a new identity...and I changed your last name."

I giggled stupidly. My emotions were all over the place. What if had chosen some really awful name for me? Perhaps something hard to spell and I'd struggle with writing a check.

Joel pulled a new social security card and a license out of the desk in his office and handed them to me.

"Elizabeth Anne Latro?" I said smiling.

Of course, he'd changed my name to match his.

"I believe," Joel said, "that it is appropriate in human society for the woman to take her mate's name. I'm sorry you can't keep your own name in the middle as women usually do. It would be too obvious."

"Thank you, Joel," I said hugging him to me.

I kissed his mouth tenderly holding his jaw.

"You taste like candy," he marveled dipping down to take my lips again, "I like it."

We curled in the bed cuddling for the afternoon. I offered sex, feeling guilty about just laying in bed with my mate, but he declined.

"This is not about me wanting to bed you," Joel said into my ear, "this is about comfort. While your presence arouses me, your sadness sobers it. Let us just be here together for a little while."

While we lay there I talked and told him about my family and old friends I had. He listened and didn't interrupt. As I spoke about each of them, I knew what I was really doing was saying good bye. Wrapped safe in Joel's arms I let my past slide away, I wished the other women could have such comfort for themselves.

"Cedric's pack will not leave them. They will stay with the women and comfort them, the way I am comforting you. Particularly with the recent suicide, the Betas will watch their charges very closely," Joel told me.

"The other women in the other packs, they need that strange peace that Rick offers," I said as I curled against Joel's chest.

"We could offer to send him around," Joel said. "Put off the changing of his little mate another month and let him help our extended family."

I nodded sleepily. It had been a stressful day and I was tired. Having Joel's warm comfort so near made it difficult not to rest. I faded out listening to his slow steady heartbeat.

Dinner much later that evening was a subdued affair. Joel and I once again dined with Cedric and his clan. The women were morose and red eyed. Part of that was grief over losing their friend.

The Betas they ate with tonight encouraged them to eat and tried to keep the conversation light. The women seemed worn down by the stress of the day. They barely touched their dinners. When Rick appeared, they all smiled wanly at him.

"Alphas if you don't mind there is a really funny movie that just came out. I had it sent to us," he said to us politely. "Everyone seems to be done eating. It's really a great film, but pretty raunchy."

"We are wolves. We are hardly formal, son," Cedric boomed smiling.

"I had them set up in the next room where there are lots of places to sit," he said motioning and walking closer to Joel and I.

Rick took me in for a moment before smiling softly. "Madam Alpha, you may like the film. Would you and Alpha Latro like to join us?" he asked.

I thought I'd pulled together well after my spell today, but he could still see it.

"Save us a seat," Joel said rising and offering me his hand.

Rick was right. The movie was uproariously funny. Perhaps due to our volatile emotions, the human women and I laughed harder than anybody. It did seem to break through the tension in the room quite effectively.

As I looked at the women all crying with laughter now, I hoped their good moods would last.

The next day broke drizzly and wet. I fretted that this kind of weather wouldn't bode well for our meet and greet. Nobody had ever talked about what the weather meant to fate.

"I don't know," Joel said when I voiced my concern, "maybe we should sacrifice something to the rain god."

I stood stunned. I'd never heard of Joel talk about sacrificing anything and I'd never heard of the rain god. My face stayed frozen in shock as I tried to remember where in Joel's office he kept the pack lore. Perhaps I could find more information there.

Would my lack of preparation for this life never end? I wondered.

Looking up at Joel, he was smiling broadly before he poked me in the ribs.

"Kidding," he said stepping away as I swung out to smack him. "Rain just means the forest is getting water, as far as I know."

We repeated our warnings to the pack at breakfast again. Rick had said we could have our meeting with the females. They were down, but they wanted to get this done. All of them knew why they were here.

When the pre appointed hour rolled around finally, I found myself in a small library with all the human women. Even Dia, April, June, and Donna were present. Our humans were just there to provide moral support. I made small talk with them as several mated Betas from each pack strolled around.

Margaret had set up a large glass punch bowl in the center and decorated a huge table with an assortment of tea cakes. Coffee and tea were also present if anyone wanted to partake. After some urging, Margaret got all the women to try something. Pretty soon, she had them casually nibbling and sipping their drinks as they perused the selection of books along the walls.

Rick walked up to me in a well tailored suit and tie. He looked the part of young professional, until he tugged at the neck of his button up shirt.

"Stop it," April fussed pushing his hand away, "it's supposed to fit like that and it looks very nice."

"I agree," I said brushing my palm over the lapels of his suit. "You look very well put together."

He really did. The blue suit and modern tie looked sleek. Someone with some taste put this outfit together. I imagined April had helped.

"Nate's youngest brother is my size. He let April pick whatever she liked out of his closet," Rick said pulling lightly on the shirt again. "Alpha Latro said we were to be dressed up, but it feels like I'm wearing a dog collar."

"Aww, come on, kid," a large Beta from Cedric's pack joked coming up behind Rick, "you telling me Latro didn't put you in a flea collar when he took you off the street? Heard you guys were kinda mangy at first."

My temper flared and my eyes turned gold. Nobody talked to a member of my pack with that much disrespect. Rick was mine to protect.

I summoned the wolf and held onto my human skin. The door opened conveniently on the other side of the room and the Beta soared through it. I'd moved with my legendary speed and hurled him into the hall through the open door.

A dull crash sounded outside and the women all turned to the sound.

"What was that?" Donna asked the woman she had been talking to, but none of them had seen anything.

The Betas that had watched weren't moving; they just stared at me. I politely excused myself and walked calmly out of the room.

Joel and Cedric were watching from one side as the Beta dusted himself off. His eyes were glowing fiercely as he stood up. The wall behind him was destroyed, the small decorative table he'd landed on was demolished. He eyed me warily.

I came to rest in front of him and addressed him as cooly as I could, "I believe we have a difference of opinion. How far you would like to take this difference of opinion is up to you."

The man straightened his outfit and bowed his head slightly to me, "Madam Alpha, I apologize if I offended you. I will watch my tongue when talking with your pack in the future."

"Lovely," I said turning to Cedric and Joel. "Cedric, please educate your pack members. I don't tolerate disrespect in my home and I'd hate to have to replace anymore wallboard."

Joel looked me appreciatively up and down. We'd have to talk about it later.

"You'll be going back inside, mate?" Joel asked, "I'd like at least one of us in there."

"Of course," I said turning and striding back toward the door.

As I turned I saw a line of my eligible, unmated standing and watching. They looked taken aback. Meeting the eyes of several of them, I saw them drop their gaze to the floor.

I was pleased. Pulling the wolf back inside, I felt the gold bleed out of my eyes.

Stepping back in the library, my pack members were grinning broadly. Cedric's pack gave me wide berth. The women were oblivious to all of it and waited patiently.

The unmated came to meet the women in waves. They would take a snack, shake hands, and make small talk. I knew from my experience it wouldn't take that long. Joel was standing outside telling them how to act.

The Betas inside all held something in their hands, usually a glass of punch they didn't drink. They were waiting and watching for someone to lose their cool when they saw their mate. We really could have used this level of diligence two days ago, I thought.

When Dominick, Joel's favorite tracker, came into the room. I saw what we had been looking for. His eyes locked on a particular human and they never left her. I was sure he had found his mate.

For some reason Dominick always managed to look like a predator, even in his human form. He was deeply tanned from hours outside training the young ones to track. Even now, in a sport jacket and trousers, he walked like a cagey hunter through the small crowd of people. No one even thought to get in his way.

Moving casually I positioned myself beside the woman he had noticed. Dominick would not attack me and I could be close to protect her if he became uncontrolled. I hoped things would be peaceful, Dominick was tough and wily. Although I stood calmly, I'd rather not battle this wolf.

It was the first time all day I'd noticed the woman I stood next to. She had on thick glasses and brown hair pulled back in a bun. I knew Cedric would have given them their choice of what to wear, but what she had on was frumpy and didn't match. She looked disinterested.

"You shouldn't be so bored, your mate may be here," I suggested as Dominick slowly made his way over.

"Madam Alpha, let me make this clear, I've had enough of men to last me a lifetime. I'll become a like you and try to fit in, but I'm just not interested in having anyone around me right now."

"A mate isn't just a man," I said and Dominick stopped to listen, pretending to inspect the tea cakes, "he will treat you well and love you endlessly. It will not be like with the wolves that took you."

"Let's spread that out, Madam Alpha, to any man I've ever known. They are all the same. Spread your legs and then they're done with you. This is a waste of time for me. I don't have a mate and I don't want one," she said eyes blazing before she looked at the ground.

This was not going to go well. I could already tell.

"Good day, Madam Alpha," Dominick said approaching us.

He offered me a fresh cup of coffee, fixed just like I liked it. I raised an eyebrow at him and spoke.

"You know how I take my coffee, Dominick?"

"I pay attention," he said calmly turning his gaze to the woman attempting to slide away.

"And you are?" he asked.

"Leaving," she answered taking a step back.

"Oh, please don't do that," Dominick purred. "I'll be accused of not playing nice at this function. The Alphas were all very clear about what we were supposed to do."

The woman paused and looked unsure. Dominick's reason for her staying seemed benign enough. He was just doing as he was told.

"I should just have a name tag," she mumbled watching her feet.

"I could guess at your name," Dominick offered leaning forward, "so you wouldn't have to tell me."

That piqued the woman's interest and her indignation for some reason. She looked up at him with her eyes narrowed to angry slits. I could only imagine what she would look like when a wolf was trapped under her skin.

"That is ridiculous, go talk to someone else," she demanded. "I don't like stupid dating games."

Dominick must have liked the fire in her eyes. I think he wanted to see it again. He placed his face in hers and whispered one word.

"Maryellen."

She sucked in a gasp and looked like she wanted to hit him.

"So you talked to someone about us," the woman, Maryellen, fumed. "Do you want an award?"

"I didn't talk to anyone, Maryellen. That's what everyone calls you when they speak to you. I also know you don't like it shortened to Mary, that really aggravates you."

Dominick should not know that. The women had been kept away from the unmated in my pack for their protection. This should be the first time he met her.

I sent a message to Joel that something was going on and I heard his growl in my mind.

Dominick was too crafty for his own good, Joel said. He was an excellent tracker, mainly because he knew how to cover his own tracks so well. It wasn't uncommon for Dominick to get away with something and then brag about it, because no one would know otherwise. Even if it meant punishment, he was proud of his accomplishments.

While I had been communicating with my mate, Maryellen had been accusing Dominick of all manner of things. He just stood and smiled while she ranted. Dominick watched her flushed cheeks with pride.

"If you're good," he whispered when she stopped for a breath, "I'll give you back the knife I took from your room."

That did it. Maryellen lashed out at his larger frame, seeking to drag her nails down his cheeks. Chuckling, Dominick quickly restrained her arms behind her back and hauled her body against his in one swift motion.

The Betas in the room started to close in and I waved them off. Dominick's reputation was as a lethal fighter. To try to take her from him would lead to a giant brawl. I wanted this done peacefully.

Dominick's eyes never left the face of the woman he held. He seemed oblivious to the commotion he was causing in the room as he spoke to her.

"When I heard about the unfortunate death, I feared for your safety, sweet. I removed anything from your room that could be harmful," he said softly.

"You had no right," she said struggling against him and pressing her chest into his. "It is mine, for my protection. I can't sleep without it."

"You slept fine last night," Dominick told her, taking a deep whiff at her neck. "At first you had nightmares, I soothed you so you never woke up. As I lay beside you in your bed, you snuggled against me. Once you were comfortable, there were no more bad dreams."

Maryellen stopped struggling and looked up at her new captor.

Dominick spoke softly again when she said nothing, "You know you slept well last night, better than in a long time."

"You can't do that," she finally said, "Alpha Benson said no one could get in our rooms."

I saw Joel enter the library and Dominick noticed, too. He spoke quickly to Maryellen.

"You needed more rest than you were getting. I couldn't stand the way you looked so tired. You feel better today, I know you do, your fire is back," he said pulling the loose bun out, so her hair spilled over his hand.

Joel came to rest several feet from Dominick and just stood there watching.

"I have to go, Maryellen," Dominick said into her ear, "but I'll be thinking about you."

He released her wrists and started to pull away. Maryellen grabbed his hand.

"Where are you going to go?" she asked confused.

"I've been a very bad wolf. I'll probably be taken to the holding cells, until the Alphas have time to deal with me," he said.

Dominick didn't move to pull his hand away, but Maryellen moved. She put her other hand on his forearm and took a step closer to him.

"Are you coming back?" she demanded.

"Yes, I just have to be taught a lesson about following the rules," Dominick grinned.

Maryellen saw Joel now, as he stood waiting to take Dominick away. She seemed conflicted for some reason. I watched her chew pensively on her bottom lip.

"I did, you were right. I slept well last night," she whispered finally. Several heartbeats passed before she spoke again, "I could go with you," she said stepping even closer to Dominick and wrapping her hands firmly around his arm.

It was a touching scene. I hated the idea of breaking it up. He'd finally gotten through to her; taking him away now would just upset her. Obviously, he comforted her. She needed him, much more than we needed to put him in a holding cell. I sent all that thought to Joel.

Joel muttered something to the ceiling and stepped toward Dominick.

"Tonight, you and me in the circle," Joel told him. "You are lucky my mate is a romantic or I'd take you down there right now."

"Thank you Madam Alpha," Dominick said lowering his head to me. "I look forward to my lesson, Alpha Latro."

DoctorWolf
DoctorWolf
5,670 Followers