Breathless Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I think I put a bowl in the closet at some point," she pondered lazily, her eyes traipsing Vlad's taut form, while his lingering on the vampire's tantalizing breasts. There were bikers, werewolves, a number of police officers, and the human that Sadie had saved at the warehouse present, but Sadie and Vlad only had eyes for each other.

Mel rolled her eyes. She stood near Sadie and snapped her fingers in front of the vampire's face. "Hello? Anyone in there? Potentially apocalyptic fight with Solomon coming up? Any of this ring a bell?"

Sadie's face fell a bit. "Spoilsport." With one last glance at Vlad, she brought her attention back to where it needed to be. "But you're right. He won't play this fair. Hell, he won't even play by the rules he wrote. He's only a quarter demon, and he's had the Blood Brood defending him for most of recorded history."

"Don't discount him," Vlad said, his mind back in the game. "He's backed into a corner. And there are those who have a lot to lose if the vampires wind up following you instead of the Blood Saint."

"Frost you mean?" Sadie asked.

Devlin raised a fist and started to count on his fingers. "Frost, the Blood Brood and the rest of Solomon's entourage, the elves and the witches who have been sucking up to them --"

"I get it, I get it. He's got a lot of friends," Sadie said, rubbing her temples.

"Don't underestimate your own support," Vlad said, standing up and rubbing her temples and shoulders for her. He just didn't want to go long without touching her. "The vampires have stepped on a lot of toes, so most of the mortal races don't trust them. You KNOW the wolves are behind you, and probably the goblins and humans as well."

"True dat," Frankenstein said, popping open one of Sadie's last bottles of Guinness.

"So he comes for me, but when? He's not going to attack me here," Sadie pondered. "It would be suicide to attack a vampire on her own ground, particularly when she's got support."

"We could go on the offensive," Todd said. Sadie was convince that Vlad's nephew had a future in wolf politics, because he was interested and involved at a relatively young age.

"Nope," Sadie said. "I've got to play by the rules. Remember, my own children call me the Betrayer. If I want to convince them otherwise, I have to take the high road." She growled. "I can't turn this into another war," she said. "The last one almost ended my species. While sometimes I think that might not have been a bad thing, I've found there's some hope for us yet." This last was directed at Melissa, who blushed just a little bit. "Heard from Mary yet?"

"Yeah, she appeared for a bit this evening. The wraiths still have Frost's mansion surrounded, but the Blood Rampart has it pretty secure. They're probably planning just like we are." She glared at Vlad, who's hands were drifting a little low to be giving a "shoulder rub." "Get a room," she chuckled.

Sadie looked towards the trailer. "We kind of trashed it," she said happily. Then she reluctantly pushed his hands away, just as a patrol car pulled up the drive with Captain Grom inside.

"Hey Cap'n" Vladimir said, leaning against the wall of the trailer.

Grom met the officer's eyes. "So this is why you called in sick? Again?"

Vlad shrugged. "Something came up."

Sadie was grinning from ear to ear. "Several times as a matter of fact."

"Good grief." Mel rolled her eyes again. "What's the word Captain?"

"You know you've got a ring of camera crews around your property? They're all wanting to talk to you and figure out if you're going to accept his challenge."

"Challenge?"

"Yes. He is challenging you to meet him at Downlands Park, where, and I quote, 'She will beg for my mercy or her own life.' The fact that YOU challenged him first hasn't quite registered yet. He's claiming that you are demon-tainted alright, and that it was you and not your 'mutual' mother that lay down with them. He's saying that the reason you seem so powerful is a deal you made with the Lords of Hell, and NOT that you are superior to him in any way."

Sadie's face changed to stone. "He wouldn't challenge me to a fair fight," she uttered. "Even if he were so sure of his own power, mine would be a mystery to him. Solomon is a coward above all else."

"He's a coward with nowhere left to run," Vlad reminded her. "He's more dangerous than ever."

"I have to face him though," the mother of all vampires reminded him. "I try to play it safe or wait him out, then his words gain strength. When did he want to meet?"

"Midnight," Grom said. "High noon for darkworlders."

Sadie walked to the edge of her deck, staring up at the risen moon and letting it softly caress her face, realizing it could be her last night on earth. She didn't want anyone else to know how much the notion of death scared her now. Never mind that she had a vampiric child that she cared about, or a lover than made her dead blood sing. She had walked the earth for seven thousand years, and she was used to the world. What lay beyond was . . . well, beyond her.

"Once more into the breach, dear friends," she whispered. "Let's mount up." She looked at her friends, the daughter of her blood, then the holder of her heart. Then with a powerful stroke of her wings, she took to the sky.

Mel felt Sadie's fear. Her connection to the vampire mother was powerful. "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown," the goth vampire replied softly, then headed for her car.

------------ -----------------

Midnight . . .

------------ -----------------

The area around the park was around Downlands Park was a sea of movement, consisting of both mortal and immortal races, cars, camera-crews, and cops. It was so thick that movement was almost impossible, except for two roads leading up to the par that were kept clear by the national guard. One road for Solomon, and the other road was for Sadie's forces . . . Eve's forces. Not that she much cared, as she flew the whole way in. There was a large stone circle in the middle of the park, and it was encased in a set magical sphere. Solomon's Blood Rampart were part of its power supply, but so was the Northwestern Coven. It seems like lines had been drawn in the sand while the primary players had slept.

There was a pavilion set up on one side of the circle, and Sadie could feel Solomon's presence emanating from inside. She landing on the other side of the circle, where she was joined by her entourage. She looked around and saw Vlad, Mel, Devlin, Tommy, Frankenstein and his riders, a smattering of werewolves that this time included Todd, Ivan, and Anya. And Bart?

She walked up to the captive demon, anger and pain on her mind.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't --" Her thoughts of vengeance stopped when Bart got down on his knees, bowing before her.

"I beg your forgiveness your majesty," the yellow-skinned demon said. There was no sarcasm or disdain in his voice this time. "Had I known, I would have shown you the respect you so richly deserve."

Some people nearby took pictures of the demon groveling at Sadie's feet. She didn't know if this would help or hurt her cause, but if she didn't defeat Solomon then it really wouldn't matter. "Your majesty?"

"You are the daughter of the King of Blood," he whispered, pressing his forehead to the ground. "You are the heir to one of the Thrones of Hell."

Sadie shook her head in disbelief. "Bullshit. I hate my Father, and I have no intention of claiming anything of his."

Bart met her gaze now, and it looked hungry. He knew who she was, and serving her would put him in good graces with the King of Blood. "Hate is a good thing in Hell," he replied. "And you are his heir whether you intend to inherit or not. Even should you choose not to rule on Earth, you will serve at his right hand when you find your way to the next world."

She turned and walked away. This was not a conversation that she wanted to have with Bart. Hell, there wasn't any conversation that she wanted to have with him.

Melissa was glaring at Bart as Sadie walked away. She knew what he had done as surely as she knew the sun would rise that morning. Terrence was dead because the demon had been playing games. Melissa had been left crumpled and bloody in the ruins of her car because of Bart, and Sadie had been forced to make the decision that had led to this war. Melissa had never been a hateful person in her life, but she wanted Bart gone from this plane of existence, and for the first time she could see herself being responsible for it.

"What did he want?" she growled.

"To worship me, apparently." She was quickly surrounded by her crew, all of whom looked all business. Cameras were flashing and a ton of reporters were trying to get close, only to be held at bay by the majority of the Northwestern wolf pack, along with bikers and a number of . . . goblins?

"Where'd the goblins come from?" Sadie asked. The squat creatures weren't known for being organized fighters, thought they could be really nasty when backed into a corner.

"We called some folk," came a voice near the circle. It was Marge, the goblin waitress/co-owner of "Roll the Bones."

"What the heck are you doing here?" Sadie asked, grinning in spite of the situation. She liked the sass-mouthed waitress.

"Lady, you've been paying attention to the little people since you got here, makin' sure they's taken care of. Time for us little people to watch your back."

"You didn't have to do this," Sadie said, looking at the goblins interspersed amongst her impromptu guard.

"Goblins never HAVE to do anything that they don't want to," Marge said, then held up a little brown bag. "Made ya some fresh rolls. Shouldn't face the apocalypse on an empty stomach."

'How can a woman seven thousand years younger than me act like a mother?' Sadie thought, taking the bag and kissing the goblin on the head. Vlad was at her side instantly. She smiled and handed him a bit of baked heaven while she scarfed down another. "Mmmh," she moaned happily.

Mel came over, but she wasn't interested in food. "Sadie, they've been holed up in there for an hour. Solomon's got most of the Rampart on the shields, but not all of them, and what's left of his Blood Brood is inside too."

"They can't accept the challenge for him," Sadie said. "They can't enter the circle once the challenge has begun. I know he's up to something, but I'll be damned if I can say what it is."

Mel kissed her creator's forehead, then a brief but warm kiss on the lips. Mary would forgive her this one indiscretion. "You're smarter than anyone I know, and you're a survivor. You'll figure out how to win this. I know you will."

Lord Frost had walked out to the center of the circle, looking like he was preparing to make an announcement.

"Arrogant bastard," Sadie said. "He isn't the master of ceremonies here."

"Ladies and gentlemen," Frost's voice boomed out, hushing the enormous crowd to silence, "tonight, the Devil incarnate has returned from the grave to challenge the Blood Saint of the vampires --"

"Blah blah blah," Vlad growled. "He's just trying the crowd against you again."

"The energy of the crowd can be a weapon," Sadie replied. "Many a king were toppled by an angry mob."

"Then you need to get your message out there."

She nodded, turning to Melissa. "So what do you think? Want to be my spokesperson?"

"Me?!" Mel yipped. "I'm a horrible public speaker and --"

"You are perfect," Sadie said, taking her daughter's hands. "You believe in me, and that means something. Don't be intimidated by Frost. He may be older than you, but you are of MY blood, and don't forget that. You can be just as powerful as him, maybe moreso. I need whoever speaks for me to speak from the heart, even if that heart is dead." Sadie returned the kiss from earlier. "Mary chose you not because you were weak but because you were strong enough to withstand anything. I believe in your strength too."

Mel turned back to Frost, who was just finishing up his speech, reciting the great Lie . . . the story of Eve's betrayal of Adam and Solomon. It raise the hair on her necks to think of the pain and scorn that her friend had endured in silence for so long. Without looking back, she walked towards the center, the magical shield allowing her to slip by. She was terrified, but she wasn't going to let Sadie down.

On the outskirts of the circles, she saw many blue glows. The wraiths wanted to get closer . . . to kill Solomon, but they were being held at bay by hordes of witches. One wraith seemed less animalistic than the rest, and her eyes followed every step Melissa made. Mary even raised her hand to her heart then her lips, finally pointing at Mel.

"You're in way over your head little girl," Frost snarled under his breath, pushing down on her with his presence. He looked somewhat shocked when all she did was smile in response.

"Don't try parlor tricks on me old man. My mother is the mother of us all, and I look forward to her punishing you for you insolence." Then she turned her back on him. "To all those in attendance here and those watching from afar, I have a far different story to tell." Her voice carried like music through the air, surprising even herself. She could do this. She WOULD do this. "Since many great civilizations now long gone were nothing but a dream of the future, a great Lie has been told by Solomon and by people like Lord Frost." She launched into the truth that Sadie had described to her, leaving nothing out. Some would be embarrassing to Sadie and some would be graphic, but she wanted the mob to know the real woman . . . the beautiful creature who had suffered for the mortal world and suffered still. When Frost had finished his speech, the crowd had seemed suspicious of Sadie . . . of Eve. Now, a balance had been formed.

Frost and Melissa, having spoken their respective pieces, headed towards the edge of the circle again.

"You'll pay dearly for this," Frost muttered.

"When Solomon is gone, you'll be the one left at the table holding the check," Melissa replied.

"I'm going to enjoy putting you in your place," Frost said. "At my feet, begging my forgiveness."

"I'd just as soon rip your heart out through your asshole." Melissa wanted to hurt him, Bart may have started her problems, but Frost was the one who ordered Dazza to do it. She didn't know if Frost had done it himself, but she was sure he was responsible for Terrence's death. "But I think I'll let HER do it," she added, glancing over her shoulder at Sadie who was taking the field, "after she's done ripping Solomon apart."

Frost smiled, and it made Melissa more nervous than she could say. "I wouldn't be betting on that if I were you."

'Damn it,' she thought as she stepped out of the circle, 'What are they up to?'

Vlad gave Sadie a quick but well formed kiss before she passed completely over into the challenge area. Again, it probably wasn't the wisest thing to be displaying affection in front of the cameras, but she wanted to know the taste of him before the fight. A reminder of what she would win. Then she put him behind her and walked on alone.

It didn't take long before Solomon emerged from the canvas cave where she had sensed him. He dressed this time in black robes and was smiling from ear to ear. Sadie had never heard of him wearing anything but red or white, but she didn't know the significance of the change. Around them, the magical dome seemed to shift, taking on the consistency of glass. No one else could come in now. It was as it had begun . . . Eve and Solomon.

"So my love, what name shall I call you?" Solomon crooned, using that voice of his. Sadie wasn't sure if he was actually trying to affect her or he couldn't help himself. It wasn't working regardless . . . mostly. She remembered the first time that voice had whispered in her ear after losing her virginity all that time ago. It had been so magical, to her at least.

"As long as you don't call me your 'love,' it doesn't really matter does it?"

"You've had many names I suspect, but I shall call you Eve. Though if you want, I can call you MINE again. We don't have to do this."

"Oh I think we do," Eve said calmly. "You can fool the rest of them, but we both know what happened on the ground of your 'paradise.' We know what Adam did to me . . . what YOU did to me. We know who made who here, and we know that you're just a pretender."

Solomon's face glowed with a pure kind of anger. "You were as much a fool then as you are now. All the power that you could have had and still could, yet you live in . . . in some metal tube and cavort with the lowest of all life forms. You take some desk clerk and make her one of us?"

"Your sister will make a better vampire than you ever could," Eve replied. "And as for the lower life forms, they have more life and heart and passion than you could imagine. Unlike you, they deserve the love I offer them. Unlike you, they accept it. I would've given you the world once," she whispered, but more out of nostalgia than weakness. "Now, I will take it from you, and salt the earth so that you will never come back. You should have made sure I had died my second death on that beach."

"I should have done many things," Solomon said, cracking his neck in one direction and then the other. For a moment, he almost sounded . . . regretful? "But it is too late to change the past. It is too late to stop me Eve. You have no chance here."

She shook her head. "You never did respect my power," she said. "That will change now." She raised her head and shoulders high. "Solomon, you have betrayed me, your creator and mother of our race. You have lied to those you have Turned, and you have lied to the mortal races. What you seek is blasphemous in my eyes, and now it must stop. I challenge you to a dual to the death. The eternal embrace of darkness is all that is left to you."

"Not quite all," he said, his grin now genuinely evil. With that, he struck her . . . hard. She went flying thirty feet through the air, striking the side of the dome.

"What the fuck?!" Vlad shouted. 'There's no way he should be able to have done that!'

That was the same thought that was shooting through Sadie's pain-wracked mind. That had been too fast, and he hit harder than she had ever imagined. Where did he find that kind of power? She didn't have time to dwell on it, as Solomon was charging forward, his elbow coming for her neck. She launched upward, her wings carrying her over his head as she kicked him in the bloody cut over his eye, then another kick in the back of his head as she landed on the other side. Whatever his power level was doing, she was still a better fighter. She had served in more militaries and on more police forces than Solomon could imagine.

"Clever," Solomon said, turning around. He didn't seemed to be to badly effected, and those had been some hard kicks. "Clever won't save you. Submit now, and I will be merciful. You will have to be punished of course and renounce your side of the story --"

Eve did a spinning back kick, but Solomon caught her foot and shoved her away. She was able to catch her balance using her wings, but her opponent was right behind her. He punched her once in the lower back, and she was afraid he might have ruptured something. True, she didn't really need her kidneys anymore, but it still hurt like a son of a bitch. She collapsed onto the ground and heard Solomon approaching from behind. She braced herself on her forearms and mule-kicked him in the stomach with both feet. That made him stagger backward while she regained her footing, but then he just kept coming.

'That's not possible,' she thought. 'He's not even bothered.' As he took another step, she noticed that his robe has slipped a little, and there were marks on his chest . . . marks that appeared to be drawn in blood. She snarled.

1...456789