All Comments on 'Burning Bridges'

by DFWBeast

Sort by:
  • 330 Comments
mfbridgesmfbridges17 days ago

Anonymous, I can't imagine being subjected to that kind of childhood reality. You are truly a strong person to be able to even post about what your bastard of a father did to you. The tears and thought I shed considering your pain as a child are all I can honor you with.

ImshakenImshaken29 days ago

Plot hole? After having sex with the hubbies brother why wouldn't the wife simply go to the pharmacy and get the day after pill? Problem solved. (I realize that pill doesn't solve the infidelity issue but it does solve the potential unwanted pregnancy risk.)

Very sad to think there are people who actually have lives like this. 4 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Unfortunately a very realistic and dark story. A tip of my hat to DFWBeast.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Incredible story but one of the most depressing things I have ever read and I was beaten and raped by my father from the age of 5 until he finally mysteriously was found dead. I the rest of my life story would make an unbelievable book but it would also put me in prison for the rest of my life. I guess I have to wait until I am gone to have it released to the public.

consulting91consulting91about 2 months ago

That was a good story but a realistic and very dark ending.

drbenchpress66drbenchpress662 months ago

So she had sex with him right after he just went on a rant about getting aids?

HighBrowHighBrow2 months ago

I usually hate multiple POV, but I was glad to hear her side of it. Those are two messed up families..,

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Her side of the story was a waste of time, irrational, unbalanced, just selfishness in a nutshell.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Nice story….but I HATE changing POV stories. I know what the skank did. I don’t need to know how she justified it to herself. No star ratings as I realize my own feelings shouldn’t be used to judge; the story should be judged on its merits.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Well that was dark and depressing

FluidswallowerFluidswallower4 months ago

WOW!!! Very powerful!!! Thanks for an excellent read!

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Dumbest shit I've read in a while. Stupid slut with no self-control. Got what she deserved in the end though she took the easy way out. Always amazes me just how stupid people can be, even in a story.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Dark evocative powerful story about the cost of betrayal. Excellent tale that's well written. Hopefully the MC finds peace and happiness. BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

A powerful, evocative story. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Uuhhh...this is exactly how I've always felt I would react to finding out my wife fucked a family member and had his baby.

I never really thought about it until I started reading LW on Lit 10 years ago.

The half assed reconciliation stories...forgiveness? Happy endings?

No fucking way.

I'd literally have beaten a family member to unconsciousness.

And I would have immediately been done with any wife. Done. Over. Cold. Fury. Just like that.

I'd have never held the baby. Made sure my name wasn't on any birth certificate.

And probably have gone to jail for a bit for the violence against a brother or cousin.

When I got out? I would have moved far, far away. Disowned everyone from my life and started over.

This story was dark. But I find it WAY more relatable than the similar RAAC stories here.

No way I could ever raise another man's child...who impregnated my wife while she was married to me. Let alone look at it every day knowing it was my brother's or cousin's or uncle's bastard.

Nope. No way. Some things are just not worthy of forgiveness.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Lord..... what a brute! Not the author. Excellent writer.

RePhilRePhil6 months ago

Wow! Great! Using the reference for the baby as “it” spoke volumes, nice touch

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Crazy dark...well written but wow. Ouch.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

5 stars! Excellent, would love to see what happens next for Doug.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Could you write a follow up to this story that helps Doug turn his life around?

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good story. Raacs can happen but sometimes/often they just can't as well. And when the hurt is deep enough...well...

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I loved it. It's a sad powerful story with a message to all, not everyone is the same when it comes to cheating. Thanks for sharing it with us. I gave it 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good writer. Powerful message!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

A well written story. I can't say it was a good story as the plot is so sad.

I can not understand those who are attacking Doug. Isn't that the same as blaming and shaming a rape victim?

metal_moonmetal_moon7 months ago

Those who are saying Doug is at fault, I wish you a wife like his ex-wife.

ImNotanAnonImNotanAnon7 months ago

Demander, your stories suck ass. Work on improving.

demanderdemander9 months ago

Doug is a true asshole. Nice story, but so depressing. D

dawg997dawg9979 months ago

Well written but a very sad story.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Well written as always from this author. Character development is lacking. Pretty morose story. Would suggest this author doesn't try to write Hallmark cards.

mariverzmariverz9 months ago

@Kiwihunter

to everything you say, I would complete it by killing the little bastard before committing suicide, in order to destroy the fucking parents, they were the least they deserved.

a todo lo que dices, lo completaría asesinando al pequeño bastardo antes de suicidarse, para así destruir a los putos padres

KiwihunterKiwihunter9 months ago

What a piece of shit the MC was. This was well written and a perfect example of the damage that is done by the btb losers when they get their way. No one even breaks even because of the desire to just hurt someone. The best thing the gutless wimp could have done is off himself as he is even more worthless than the brother. At least his wife would have been able to go onand have a good life.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft10 months ago

Dark and powerfully written. 5* — Now, I’m going to go have supper with my soul mate of several decades, and reflect on how much more fortunate my life has been compared the MC in this story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

This just hits so hard its amazing. Part of me wishes there was a sequel, but the rest of me is glad there isnt because it makes what there is of the story so much more powerful. 5*

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Wow this woman is a liar.. lol. The entire second page of this story was nothing but falsehood, hey whatever gets you through I guess. You cannot do that to someone you claim to love, claim is your soulmate.... ah fuck it, no one cares anyway

oldtwitoldtwit12 months ago

Bloody brilliant, such a hard hitting story, great characters, and the plot you pulled off was really good, loved how you tied up all the endings one after the other. One of my favourites.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very effective, and devastating.

Sadly, there was nothing in this that doesn't happen in real life, to some degree or other.

Two utterly destroyed families, a child who will never know his parents.

Teresa's fate was cruel, Billy's fate was cruel, and Doug's fate was cruel as well. Not one of them were without regret. The grandparents have lost everything. I know they will try and bring the boy up to be happy, but the ghosts of the past will always be there, and at some level, they will hand the pain down to the child. They will also know that they are at least partly responsible.

I think Teresa was weak and stupid, but was still essentially a good person. Still, there was never going to be redemption for her.

I think Doug is mostly a good person, but to not be able to forgive, while a human weakness and justified, has already destroyed his potential, he'll never be free of it, probably never have another relationship, and be a bitter old man until he does alone.

Billy was the closest to being a bad person, but his insecurity and fears were the driving force of his bad decisions. It is still a tragedy, because he knew what he had done, he knew he was the cause of everyone's pain, and it was obvious that when he died, he was filled with that regret. What a horrible place to be. Suicide through loss of personal hope is one thing, but to be cognisant of the vile nature of the acts he had committed, and the pain that he had heaped upon them all... he would have been in a living hell.

I do think he loved them all, but he was just too far gone to find his way back. The only real path for him was to die, even before the seduction.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I know the feeling. I am in the room with my soul mate of 56 years but I am not, things happen and people change but life goes on.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

He forgave them by leaving and that cunt ex wife couldnt leave a good man alone. Doug the poor bastard always got put behind his brother and now hes finally free to find a marry a faithful wife who will put him first for once.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good job last man standing lol

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Very realistic and emotional story I've ever read.

What Doug did was perfect for a real man but never to forget that the real man had a beautiful heart which had been hurt and lead him to do those things.

Somehow I feel that Teresa should've given at least a chance to rectify the damage. And I'm sure, given a chance, she'd have done anything and everything to make it right. And at last, Doug could be a happier than before.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Seachanger what drugs are you on, his life was already ruined, they just wouldn’t leave him alone to rebuild it

SeaChangerSeaChangerabout 1 year ago

To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was thee.

He ruined his own life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I agree with anonymous from a month ago, in that it feels incomplete. In fact I was looking for a part 3, but didn't find one. I thought the first part was pretty damn good, and this part was ok, with her telling her side of the story. But it still left unanswered questions particularly if he was her "soulmate", why didn't she tell him right away that she had sex with Billy? Why hide it? By doing so she killed any and all trust they had. Her going "stalker" on him didn't help one bit either. His parents should have stayed out of the entire mess, mostly because they caused it by taking sides with their sons, and forcing Doug to take Billy in, since they wouldn't.

Tom and Martha (his boss and wife) didn't know the full story, and Tom had never asked. Martha the busy body couldn't leave well enough alone and just had to intervene where she shouldn't have, costing Tom a shop foreman and a good employee. Not to mention more hurt feelings than she planned on. At least she got the whole story on why they were divorced.

I believe I gave the first part 5 stars, this part however felt unfinished and got 4 stars as a result. Thanks for sharing it though.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Nowabout 1 year ago

Dark, yes; but well done!

NoTalentHackNoTalentHackabout 1 year ago

Damn, that was dark as hell. Good one!

BSreaderBSreaderabout 1 year ago
This

Was just so dark and sad, really.

NonSequitourNonSequitourabout 1 year ago

I ended a 2 & 1/2 year relationship with a damaged woman by telling her the scars on her wrists were the only reason I hadn't been long gone. She found somebody new in 10 days! Stayed married to him for 20 years.

NonSequitourNonSequitourabout 1 year ago

I ended a 2 & 1/2 year relationship with a damaged woman by telling her the scars on her wrists were the only reason I hadn't been long gone. She found somebody new in 10 days! Stayed married to him for 20 years.

miket0422miket0422about 1 year ago

The author came up with a set of circumstances surrounding the one time Teresa had sex with Billy that I could see it being forgivable.

Unfortunately Teresa didn't have the strength of character to do the right thing and be honest with him immediately.

And then to hate her baby and ultimately end up killing herself. Definitely falls in the category of if you can't do the time don't commit the crime.

It's really too bad his parents don't have the pay any more consequence than having to raise their grandchild.

They enable Billy's addiction for years. Ignore the good son for all that time. Bully Doug into letting Billy stay with him even though they're not willing to let him stay at their house. And then convince Teresa to keep her infidelity from Doug.

Billy may have been the direct instigator of the destruction in this story but, ultimately the blame really lands at the feet of his parents.

Sad tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

"Soulmates" is a overwrought word of the overly romantic. A marriage is WORK, a joint project of which love is just the beginning, and bolstered by working at it: respect, duty, fidelity, parntership, companionship,etc. They all build on the initial love but it isn't enough alone. The "soulmates" is what you have looking back in gratitude you built that with someone wonderful. These two weren't soulmates. Neither willing to do the work. Thus the bleak, bleak story. Were I this husband, I would have been said to realize it wasn't a soulmate relationship. Forgive her, yes, but stay in that marriage. Hell No! But pushing her to suicide only hurt himself in the end. Should have got her parents to reconcile with her, and with his parents, get her professional help and monitoring. Then move one. I did after an 8 year first marriage which ended with her infidelity and a mental illness that required more management than I could do, so got her help with the inlaws, and moved on to a wonderful 31 year marriage with a more stable woman.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Damn that was bleak. I could have sworn I read something like this somewhere else but who knows for sure.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story, well written but sad. Feels unfinished?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Only hope for any of them would have been if she had confessed immediately right after. If husband was truly her soulmate she never would have done it. These authors throw that word around with out truly understanding it

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Truly sad tale. Original and well-written. Thanks.

Ed

Pjam1968Pjam1968about 1 year ago

One word, intense

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I didn't know Aesop had a brother...... or his umpteen-times descendant.

nogravynogravyover 1 year ago

Raw and honest. 5 stars from me...

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too bad Doug didn’t shoot Martha in the leg as a permanent reminder to not meddle in other people’s lives

xhristianjxhristianjover 1 year ago

To be honest this really was a great story was it a kick in the teeth 😳 Hell Yeah but it addressed real issues and crafted real characters. Codependent Wife, Addict Brother, Fucking horrible parents and truly innocent victim whose become emotionally closed off and defensive.

And for those who called him a cuckold for raising his Nephew fucking grow up. Learn to read he loved his wife his brother and his parents but grew to hate them. His Nephew is a chance to start again and that's not cuckoldary that's noble.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

So why didn't Teresa use a condom? Besides Billy was a crack head with probable STDs. How did she dodge that? Billy is an evil person. He knew what he was doing and the ED stuff was wicked trickery on his part. Disgusting. The husband probably would have never forgiven her fucking his dirt bag brother even if she hadn't gotten pregnant. But why for pity's sake did she NOT have Billy where a condom or just give him a blowjob? Ridiculous and cost her their marriage, wrecked her husband and caused her and Billy yo commit suicide. The parents being in on the secret and their lack of support for the MC is also appalling. Very dark.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

There are few things sadder than a thin skinned author who submits a story to a public forum. If you can't stand the heat...

MarkT63MarkT63over 1 year ago

MC is a real man!!! Live with your decisions...

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Incredibly sad story. I just don't het why Teresa didn't think to use a condom or get a morning after pill. Yes she was stupid and manipulated by Billy into give him a mercy fuck. It was a terrible choice she made and she betrayed her husband, who is straight out of the Old Testament. But having her brother-in-law's kid makes reconciliation impossible in our space-time continuum. For pity's sake, go get a freaking condom. Unbelievably stupid. Otherwise they could have all gotten past it. She broker her vows for a stupid decision but the pregnancy killed everyone.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Can a story be more depressing?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a pleasant story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

In my 20's I had a gf for 2 1/2 years who had been an LA runaway. Very insecure and clingy. I finally told her the only reason we weren't over in 8 months was the scars on her wrists from attempting suicide in her teens. She found her future husband in 10 days; stayed married to him over 20 years!

BlueEyd2BlueEyd2over 1 year ago

I continue to be amazed that a couple will have unprotected sex for months and not get pregnant, but one time cheating and whoop there it is.

How can a woman, in this day and age not expect or at least consider that she might be pregnant after 1 time of unprotected sex. But then again she was a stupid slut to be conned by his brother. Seriously? A mercy fuck that leads to a destroyed marriage, a broken relationship with his parents, an unwanted child. and of course two suicides. oops

KaeyoKaeyoover 1 year ago

Like most addicts Billy was a skilled manipulator. He revels in his self created “victim” status, and not content with only destroying his own life, he destroys the lives of all around him.

He follows the standard pattern of gaining trust, however misplaced, through his lies, then proceeds to abuse that trust by stealing and lying all while still playing the victim. His parents were first to fall to his bullshit, then he goes after Theresa, and finally manages to destroy his brother by having already destroyed everything in his brothers life.

Should Doug have forgiven Theresa? Possibly. It was obvious they were still in love. But, the betrayal of Doug by his entire family was too much, and it changed him to the rage filled beast he became.

Billy was a monster, his actions prove that. No amount of well meaning social services, interventions, or rehabs can ever change that. A real shame neither the parents or Theresa could see that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a cuck ,

He's gonna raise the scumbags son ?

That's the definition of a cuckold .

One star .

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

I wish this had a sequel with good ending for the protagonist

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Does no one in these stories use protection or a morning after pill? How dumb. Of course the wife had a really stupid set of rationalizations. The brother claims he can't get it up because of the drug but does immediately. She could have pulled back. But no she does her mercy fuck. And pays the price. She would have gotten away with it if she didn't get pregnant. Get a helmet on that soldier! There are many contraception choices. Or better yet don't have sex!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Now that’s a story!!! Not like other stories I’ve read that end up with forgiveness and reconciliation bullshit. But I do wish it were longer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

At least with both of them gone he has full closure now. And he stays far away from his toxic parents...

He's damaged. But if he takes things slow. Focuses on work. Maybe even gets some therapy. Talks to someone.

2 or 3 years down the road? He's still young. He can find a loyal woman. Develop trust again. And move on with life.

BH54BH54almost 2 years ago

Good story but very sad. The big mistake was allowing Billy to move in after the parents threw him out. They can't stand their own son, but their other son and daughter-in-law get to put up with him. Believable but crazy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The story was good but the part about her getting stoned on second hand smoke was bullshit. You can’t get high from being in a smoky room. Better just to admit she was a horny slut.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

5 stars for Doug

iammweaseliammweaselalmost 2 years ago

Truly great story but the issue with this, like so many of these, there is that slight bit of manipulation to irk the reader just a tad more than the writer can with just his writing.

When she said she cant return with out her babies daddy. The point that this is reader manipulation, and you knew it when you wrote it, is clear, as no woman who had another mans baby would make such a statement if trying to win back her husband. Literally no one would use that statement.

Would have been a 5 if you hadnt dumbed her down to the LW template everyone uses.

Qlin_Ton_GQlin_Ton_Galmost 2 years ago

The BEST of them all

ker63469ker63469almost 2 years ago

Well written. Sad yes, but it makes one think how their actions can affect others. Great job

Cringo31Cringo31almost 2 years ago

Well written and you were honest it was sad. I loved the writing and how you showed both sides of the marriage and divorce.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

What a disgusting story…not a single

Likeable characters!

6King6Kingabout 2 years ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

alvinjfrazieralvinjfrazierabout 2 years ago

Well-written, 5 stars. I really liked it. Ever notice, though, in all of these stories "soul-mates" act so badly? A true "SOUL-MATE" would NEVER be able to betray their other half to begin with. Perhaps that term is used to loosely anymore. Just like the word LOVE.

Big_Tim99Big_Tim99about 2 years ago

Another attempt by a woman trying to set a guy right with her vagina. That is stupidity personified.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

No, I don't think killing his parents was right, but letting them live with what they had done was extreme punishment. Knowing what they had done to Doug, how they had made him suffer, then help his brother destroy Doug's marriage, and the finally, two suicides, I think that has to be the best punishment ever, because there is no way to fix it. Great story line, good grammar, ( liked the Texas drawuel) . Keep writing.

XYZ

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

He should have killed his parents as well for good measure

usaretusaretabout 2 years ago

Are you, the author, really as sad as this story portrayed. It would take extreme sadness to understand the last paragraph. More to write it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A very sad and tragic story that caused sooooo much pain and suffering for sooooo many folks over sooooo much time!!!!!

Someone makes a horrible, foolish and life changing serious mistake without regard to the supposed love and respect for their spouse, and they give their life for it? Where O where is counseling and therapy, especially after repeated attempts to take your life????

A depressing story that is a very hard read and brings back so many unpleasant personal memories because of the same lack of proper responses to help someone in need - instead of just constant interference!

We felt your story was well written, but…….. It missed so many opportunities to touch someone in desperate need.

kamdev99008kamdev99008about 2 years ago

Deeds always leads to consequences

Dark but realistic tale....

In Most cases parents, other family members, even your spouse always favour depressed member...this is called family

But everyone had to weight the innocence, before acting biasedly against the welldoer

I like it

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

All the blame goes to 1st : the parents, 2nd : the idiot wife, 3rd : the junky brother. The MC did what he needed to do and tried to get away from them all.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Liked the story except for the guilt and the whining. Made the MC weak. Quit whining, and reconcile or leave. Either way, a man lives with his decisions. A child wants it some other way. "Fix it, Mommy!"

MarkT63MarkT63about 2 years ago

Awesome, DARK BTB story!!! 5 STARS!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Dumb ass Anon. If that was a true soul mate, she wouldn't give up her vows for a pity lay -- intoxicated or not. Stop dragging down actual soul mates to your gutter level. Dumb ass. You Americans and your drug laced life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Bitter pathos and unintended consequences.

Quo Vadis?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

The ending of the story had my eyes full of dust. Awesome story even though full of sadness. Definitely a 5 star 🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟💫🌟

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What a man, Doug!!! Well done.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userDFWBeast@DFWBeast
Most of my stories fit in the "Loving Wives" category. Primarily they're "cheating wives/ revenge/ possible reconciliation" type stories. You'll rarely find stupid, clueless wives or weak, whipped husband's in my stories. What you'll find is flawed wives...