Carefree Highway

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maybe I'm the bad guy here for not caring about why she did it, and we both lost a little in the end. I guess since I was the one who got over it and moved on first, it seemed like I was the winner. But in this situation I wasn't really sure there was a winner. I was happy now, but I truly wished nothing but the best for Ann. It made me think a lot about life and love as I walked towards my truck. first off I realized that there are infinite possibilities for all of us. It's very possible that I could have never found out about Ann's cheating and we could have lived out our lives happy as hell. There's also the possibility that I could've found out about it, confronted her and forgiven her. But really that's not the kind of man I am. It's not a question of how strong my love for her was, it's simply the fact that love for some people, including me, requires both trust and fidelity. Ann had destroyed both, and for whatever the reasons she had ended our marriage then. If I had managed to take her back, I'd have never trusted her again. and I also know that neither she or I would have any further respect for me. I would no longer be that man she'd married. and I wouldn't have liked looking in the mirror either. And speaking of mirrors, Ann belonged in my rear view mirror. Evie was the one who belonged in the seat beside me now.

A few minutes later we were back in our truck with the big motor warming up. Evie was in the sleeper looking down at me, naked as usual. It had even stopped snowing.

"Hey before you start snoring, I need to tell you something," I said.

"Yeah I already know," she snapped Grandma has bigger tits than I do.

"She really does," I said, "But that's not it. Evie, I love you more than anyone and anything in the world. When my divorce comes through will you marry me?"

"I already knew that you asshole," she spat at me. "How can you ask me to marry you when you don't even have a fucking ring? Come back when you're prepared. I need a nap."

"Evie look at me," I said. I couldn't believe it but her cheeks were wet. "Evie, why are you crying?"

"I'm not fucking crying, I've got something in my eye, let's get out of here so you can go buy me a fucking engagement ring, you fucking cheapskate."

As I put the truck in gear, I heard on the radio that the snow advisory had been lifted and the freeways were open. I scanned the channels looking for some good driving music, and found a familiar song I smiled as it came through the speakers.

Turnin' back the pages to the times I love best

I wonder if she'll Ever do the same

Now the thing that I call livin'

is just bein' satisfied

With knowin' I got no one left to blame

Carefree highway, good to see you my old flame

Carefree highway, you've seen better days

The mornin' after blues from my head down to my shoes

Carefree highway, let me slip away

Slip away on you

This time the song didn't make me sad, I had dealt with the past and it no longer held any terror for me. I looked out the windshield at the road ahead and started to get lost in the music.

"Chase, God Damn it, turn that shit off!"

The end