Class Reunion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers

"Of course, Kevin. I just want to watch, not get involved." She looked at the shotgun behind her and then the computer screen in front of him. "What does 2 Mary 37 stand for?"

"The 2 stands for second watch, the second shift of the day. Mary stands for the sector of the city that I'm working today. And 37 is my unit number that I go by on my shift," he explained.

"That's easy enough. What do you do with the computer?"

"I can look up the call that's being assigned to me, I can run license plates, and I can check for stolen cars among other things," he said.

"Impressive," she said with approval.

Kevin started the car and they began their day. He couldn't wait to call her, but made himself wait until Tuesday evening. They talked for over an hour and decided that she would go on patrol with him the next Friday and have supper with him at his house afterward. She called him on Thursday, much to his delight and surprise, and they talked for quite a while again. While they didn't seem to have a whole lot in common and disagreed on many topics, they enjoyed talking to each other and looked forward to meeting again. He picked her up at her house that morning at 6:15 and they drove to the precinct where she waited in the lobby while he changed and got his assignment. She was quite impressed with how he looked in uniform, tall, sturdy, authoritative, and very handsome. His gun looked huge, but she didn't ask him about it or ask to see it.

They drove around his sector where he would periodically put information into the computer, particularly when they came to a stop behind someone.

"What are you doing?" she asked after one such stop.

"Checking to make sure that the license matches the car, or if the car is stolen."

"2 Mary 37," dispatch called.

"2 Mary 37, go ahead."

"MSP requests back up for traffic stop. Suspicious vehicle. I-70 eastbound, mile post 33 near Madison Avenue exit."

"2 Mary 37 clear," Kevin replied.

"2 Mary 37, 0815 hours."

He looked over at Rachel and said, "Hang on, here's your first call." They weren't too far from I-70 and they got there quickly. Lights and sirens blazing, Kevin powered his Crown Victoria Police Interceptor onto the highway. Rachel glanced over at the speedometer and was amazed, and a little frightened, to see the needle pushing 90.

"Who is MSP?"

"Missouri State Police. They've probably stopped a drug runner and they need some help. This will be where you'll need to stay in the car. Okay?"

"Sure."

They arrived at the scene within minutes as Kevin pulled behind the state patrol's car. The trooper had the driver on the ground on his stomach at gun point as Kevin approached him.

"I've got him covered, cuff him for me," he instructed Kevin. Kevin nodded and moved forward.

"Cross your legs," Kevin shouted to be heard above the roar of the traffic. The man complied. Quickly, Kevin moved over him and cuffed his hands behind his back. He then helped him to his feet and brought him back to the cars. Rachel watched in fascination from her seat. Other state patrol cruisers arrived shortly thereafter and Kevin left the scene.

"That was exciting," Rachel exclaimed as they drove away.

"Not too bad for the first call," he said. "Just like I thought, they suspect drugs are in the car."

"What kind?"

"Probably crack cocaine or heroin."

They drove back towards the city. The rest of the morning was routine; a few traffic stops and a dog barking that was disturbing the neighbors. Kevin handled each call swiftly and professionally. Rachel was amazed at everything that he had to do before, during, and after each call. You definitely had to have some brains to do this job, she thought. As it approached noon, things were slow and Kevin thought that it would be a good time for a lunch break.

"Are you ready for lunch?" he asked Rachel.

"Sure, where do you want to go?"

"I eat in here. I pack a lunch every day. I hope you like chicken salad."

"Love it."

"2 Mary 37," he said into his radio.

"2 Mary 37," dispatch replied.

"5-2 at Youngstown and 26th. Fifteen minutes, please."

"2 Mary 37, 1205 hours."

"You only get fifteen minutes to eat?" she asked.

"Only if nothing serious happens. I can take longer, but that's usually enough for me." He stopped and got out to retrieve his cooler from the trunk. He brought it back to the car and got in once again. He handed her a sandwich and bottled water and took one of each for himself. "I didn't know what you liked to drink, so I thought water would be okay."

"Water's fine. Thank you for the sandwich. I thought you might stop at a fast food place or something."

"Nah, once they see the cruiser, you don't know what they'll put in your food."

"Seriously?" she asked, concerned.

"Dead serious," he replied.

They finished their lunch and Kevin called the dispatch to let them know that they were ready for more calls. The afternoon came and went quickly as Kevin took five or six more calls, none out of the ordinary. Rachel thoroughly enjoyed the day and hated to see it end as Kevin signed off for his shift. He parked in the precinct and they walked back inside where Kevin changed into his civilian clothes and Rachel waited.

As they were driving to his home, Kevin said, "I'm sorry it wasn't more exciting for you. It was a fairly typical day, though."

"I had fun,"she replied. "Maybe I can do it again sometime."

"Any time you like."

Kevin pulled into his driveway and parked in the garage. They entered the house and Rachel loved it immediately. Kevin had changed nothing in the decor from the time of Annie's death and it still had it's warm, cozy feel.

"Make yourself at home," he said as he unstrapped his gun once more. Rachel looked on in curiosity as she hadn't realized that he was carrying a weapon. She sat down in a blue plush recliner as Kevin put the gun away.

"Do you always carry that?"

"Most of the time."

"Why?"

"I never consider myself off duty."

"Oh." Rachel sighed and looked around the livingroom. "What would happen if someone broke into the house while you were here?"

"They wouldn't make it out alive."

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

"Don't you think that's a bit harsh? What if they didn't have a weapon and were just trying to steal something and not harm you?"

"Then they better stop when I point my gun at them and tell them to lie down on the floor."

"What if they refuse and run from you?"

"I'd go after them."

"And not shoot them?"

"And not shoot them."

"Oh."

"Can we stop with all of the questions so I can fix dinner for you?" he asked, a bit exasperated.

"Certainly," she smiled. She was relieved to see that he wasn't the homicidal gun owner that she thought he might be. He is a cop, you idiot, she thought to herself. Of course he'll draw his gun should he have one available. He'd know what to do should something go wrong.

Kevin busied himself in the kitchen, not allowing Rachel to lend a hand with anything. He had most of the food prepared ahead of time so he only had to put them in the oven when the time came. He chose marinated chicken breasts, baked potatoes, green beans, and a tossed salad as the menu for the evening. Rachel, relegated to uselessness by the master of the house, chose to read the newspaper in the meantime. There was a wedding picture of Kevin and Annie, but there were no other pictures of her in the living room, Rachel noted as she scanned the room. The room was decorated in dark blues and deep golds with richly upholstered chairs and sofas. Rachel sank back into the plush recliner and began to read.

It was less than an hour later when Kevin began to set the table for the meal. Rachel came out, against Kevin's protests, and helped. The meal was excellent and Rachel savored it, feeling it was every bit as good as if they had gone to a restaurant. The meat was cooked to perfection, the potato was rich in butter and garlic, and the beans had bacon and onions mixed in.

"I think I'll hire you as my personal chef," Rachel exclaimed. "This is absolutely wonderful!"

"Thanks," he said, "I had a great teacher."

"Annie?"

"Yeah. During the last year, we both knew she didn't have much time, so she taught me to cook, do laundry, keep house, you know, the basics to get along without her," he explained.

"She truly was a great teacher."

They chatted throughout the meal about various subjects and Rachel asked him questions about his decision making during his shift that day. He explained some of the departmental procedures that he had to adhere to and other variables that went into his decision making process. Kevin explained that prior knowledge of the subjects involved or the location in question played a key role also. He asked about her work and the time involved in finding results of her experiments.

"I'm sorry, but that would probably bore me to tears having to wait that long to find out the results," he said. "I like the action of police work because I never know what the day will bring. It's something different every day, every hour."

"You and I are very different in that regard," she said. "I find my work very fascinating. Yes, it is a slow process, but I can see progress every day through my microscope. I can see where you wouldn't enjoy my work, but I love science and I wouldn't dream of doing anything else. Funny thing is, I really like the danger and excitement of your job, too. Even though you didn't have a busy day, I thought it just flew by."

Kevin nodded in agreement. "I'm glad you like your work. Not too many people can claim that. We're very much alike in that respect. I wouldn't dream of doing anything besides police work."

Kevin served pineapple sherbet for dessert, much to Rachel's delight. She loved ice cream or any reasonable facsimile thereof and the flavor rarely mattered. She ate her sherbet silently, occasionally glancing at Kevin. She was finding herself being slowly drawn closer and closer to him and she wasn't resisting. After they were finished, Rachel helped him clear the table and load the dishwasher, against his protests once again. Once they were finished, Kevin led her back to the living room and they sat down on the sofa together.

"So, what would you like to do now? We could go for a drive, take in a movie, walk the mall, go to a park, watch TV here. Pick your poison." Kevin sat back and waited for her answer.

Rachel thought for a few moments before an idea hit her. She looked at Kevin expectantly and hoped that he wouldn't take her suggestion the wrong way. "There is something that I would like to do," she said.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Would you teach me to dance?"

"You're kidding."

"I'm perfectly serious."

"Really?"

"Yes, really."

Kevin thought about it for a few seconds. He knew that it would bring back memories, but they would be fond memories and he could live with that. Finally, he said, "Well, you'll have to help me move some of the furniture."

Kevin turned on the stereo and selected an FM station that featured nothing but slow dance music. He took Rachel in his arms much like he did at the reunion and began to teach her in the same way that Annie did for him. Kevin expertly led her through various steps and movements as he glided her around the room. He found that she had good balance and natural ability and she followed his lead very well. She was a quick learner also, whereby he rarely had to go over something a second time before she got it. For her part, Rachel refused to let herself melt into his arms as her body screamed for her to do. She kept her focus intact and allowed herself to be taught. She had always wanted to be able to dance and not feel like a klutz stumbling and falling around her partner. Kevin was a patient and good teacher and she was enjoying his instruction very much.

After about a half hour or so, Kevin turned off the stereo and found some dancing tapes. He turned back to Rachel and said, "You seem to be a little stiff when you dance. You need to loosen up more and let your body flow with the music." He went to the refrigerator and brought out the bottle of wine that they had started at dinner. "This should help a little bit," he said as he came back to the living room.

"If I didn't know better, I would think you were trying to ply me with alcohol, Kevin," Rachel said, smiling.

"You don't have to have any if you don't want it. I just thought it would help you relax a little bit."

"Oh, I'll have some," she said quickly, "I was only kidding."

"I know." He poured her a glass and one for himself. He drank on rare occasions, so he cautioned himself about drinking too much since he would have to drive her home. As he gave her the glass, Blaze wondered in, making his first appearance of the day.

"Oh look, a kitty," Rachel exclaimed. "I love cats. I have two of my own." Rachel held her hand down to the floor and let Blaze sniff her, which he did judiciously. Rachel laughed. "He must smell my cats." He continued sniffing at her and rubbing against her, purring softly.

"Well, you're certainly okay with him," Kevin said. "He's pretty particular as to who's allowed to be in this house. He usually hisses at strangers."

"Oh, but he's such a sweet cat," Rachel cooed. The gray feline closed his eyes as Rachel scratched him behind the ears. Eventually, he wandered away and Kevin and Rachel were alone again. "Now, you'll have to come over to my place and meet my furry daughters."

A few minutes later, they went back to their lessons. Kevin had put on some slow swing music and he taught her some basic moves and then progressed to more complicated ones. Once she got the hang of those, he switched to faster tempo music and he found that she did well with the fast music also.

"You are a very quick learner," Kevin said when they took a break. "Are you sure you don't know how to dance?"

"You," Rachel said as she pointed her index finger into his chest, "are an excellent teacher."

They sat down together and Rachel had another glass of wine. "This is so good," she remarked. "I'll have to buy a bottle for myself."

Kevin watched in bemusement as she downed the wine quickly. "Maybe we should switch to water," he suggested as he poured another glass for her.

"Oh no," she said, "this is fine." She sipped on her full glass. "What else do you want to teach me?"

"Oh, I think you've had enough lessons tonight. Maybe we can try something different next time."

"Can you teach me to waltz? I love waltzes."

"Of course," he said. "It's not too complicated."

Rachel sprang to her feet and pulled at Kevin's hand. "Teach me now," she pleaded.

"We can do it next time, Rachel."

"Oh, come on, Kevin. Just for a little while, please?"

"Oh all right," he relented as he stood up and ambled over to the stereo. Soon, Strauss began to fill the air with his light music.

For the next hour, Kevin patiently led a stumbling, slightly tipsy Rachel through the fundamentals of ballroom dancing, waltz style. It wasn't long before she got the hang of it and soon, he was whisking her around the living room with ease as if they had been partners for years. He was surprised at what a quick learner she was even though she was slightly drunk. They sat down, both tired and out of breath, after the music drifted into silence.

Rachel looked over at Kevin as she poured herself another glass of wine, thus draining the bottle. "I'm having a wonderful time," she said seriously. "I really love dancing with you."

Kevin looked at her and smiled. "I'm glad. It's something I really missed doing since Annie died. Maybe you'd like to go out and put your lessons to work sometime."

"Why, Mr. Simons, are you asking me out for a date?"

Kevin froze at the question. He wasn't sure if he was asking her for a date or not. Was he not on a date now or was it just two friends getting together for the evening? He wasn't sure. The lines were quickly becoming blurred and he didn't know if he would be able to tell the difference for too much longer.

"I guess you could say that," he stammered, daring to go further with the relationship.

"Well, I accept, whenever that may be."

"It's for whenever you'd like it to be."

Rachel smiled. "We'll see," she said.

After they moved the furniture back into place, Kevin went to his extensive movie collection and pulled out "Casablanca", a personal favorite, and popped it into the VCR. Soon, Rachel's hand found his and she snuggled against his shoulder, sighing contently. Kevin didn't know what to think, but he enjoyed the warmth of her body against his, something he hadn't felt in such a long time. He certainly missed female companionship and he was really enjoying Rachel's company that evening. Somehow, he thought that things were going a little quick for him, but he wasn't going to ask her to slow down. He knew that he was taking a big step just by having her at his house and sharing his day with her. As long as she didn't ask to go any further, he would be okay.

After an hour or so, Kevin noticed that Rachel was getting heavier against his shoulder and he couldn't remember much movement from her. He shook her lightly and called her name, but she didn't budge. He could feel her soft breath against his neck. At least she's breathing, he sighed with relief, then laughed to himself. What was he going to do now? He checked the clock and it was only around ten and he really wanted to take her home, but how could he do that now? The only thing he could do was let her stay the night. He had no other choice.

He wiggled away from her as easily as possible and went to his bedroom. He stripped the bed and replaced them with clean linens and blankets. He then changed into sweat pants and a tee shirt and found an extra blanket and pillow for himself. He went back to the living room and Rachel was still asleep where he had left her. Kevin put the blanket and pillow at one end of the sofa before he picked up Rachel and carried her limp body to his bed. He gently placed her on the bed and pulled off her shoes before he pulled the covers up to her shoulders. Looking down at her, he smiled. He remembered doing the same thing for Annie when they would fall asleep watching TV, but he would be in bed next to her then. It wouldn't happen tonight. He could never do that. Leaning over her, he gave her a small kiss on her forehead before he turned out the light. He couldn't believe that he was starting to fall for her.

Rachel bolted upright in the darkness, terrified at not knowing where she was. Her head looked left and right, trying to find familiar objects, but without success. Her head felt heavy and she was slightly dizzy. Must have had too much wine, she thought. She reached over to one side of the bed and found a light, which she turned on. Staring at her was a picture of Kevin and Annie, a studio portrait, probably taken not too long before she died. She looked pale and sickly, but still very pretty and she had a beautiful smile on her face.

Rachel swung her legs over the edge and looked at her watch. It was two-twenty. She got up slowly and made her way to the door. It was closed but not shut all the way. Rachel went to the living room and saw Kevin curled up on the couch, his blanket kicked to the floor. My God, he looks even younger when he's asleep, she thought. She moved near him and picked up the blanket and spread it over him.

When she realized what all he had done for her, she smiled. He was a very special man, indeed. She knelt down near his head and touched his cheek with her fingers. "You are so sweet," she murmured. She kissed him on the cheek where her fingers had been before she straightened up and headed back to bed.

In the morning, Kevin's nose was tickled from the aroma of bacon frying, coffee perking, and bread warming in the toaster. Slowly, he woke and found two blue eyes staring at him from above.

Tony155
Tony155
1,227 Followers
123456...8