All Comments on 'Continental Divide'

by laptopwriter

Sort by:
  • 236 Comments
DukeofPaducahDukeofPaducah13 days ago

Nicely reconciled. Although her intentions were clear early on she was probing his feelings, I still got the vibe he was being unwittingly maneuvered. It was obvious who had ‘the hand’ in the match-up. Her sudden declaration of love was a goose to the keester.

It was eye-opening to see the ease that a misinterpreted comment can gain momentum and send a marriage off the rails, and encouraging to see two people recognize the value left in an off course relationship and work to put it back on track.

Undercurrents of tension were subtle yet very effective. Deftly done. Deftly, I say.

— Foghorn Leghorn 🐓

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 1 month ago

2nd time I’ve read this, and age has not worn it down at all. Not growing apart takes real effort and determination. We are still at it after 53 years! I think this one was put in the wrong category, and that is a shame because the people who stick to romance stories probably missed it.

ncdeepdiverncdeepdiver2 months ago

Very heartwarming story.

I felt it would have been better served by putting it in the Romance category.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Oh man, a great story! Thanks!! DerMtMan

FlamethrowFlamethrow2 months ago

A really heart-warming story of how a marriage can drift off the rails almost imperceptibly but how a couple can undo the damage, albeit with a little bit of help from beyond the grave.

robinhodrobinhod3 months ago

In the roughly ten years this story has been here I must have read it about four times. I waded through the comments to see what I wrote earlier. Couldn't find one. So, better late than never.

Dear Mr. LTW, I am in awe of your writing talent, and never tire of reading your output. This one is just beautiful. I guess I've given it 20 stars over the years.

(Some of the comments made are WEIRD!, happily, very much a minority).

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

To LTW a month ago. I get you. I am always astounded when readers decide on something that wasn't in the story, as fact. As you said, an Anon saying Terry fucked other men. PEOPLE! These stories are the product of amazing minds who write them. They ARE NOT REAL. All we can go on is whR the writer tells us. And, so often, they tell us very well, enough to get us invested in the story.

This is a five star effort, BTW. Good job.

JPB

piper1988piper19883 months ago

Outstanding story, one of the best I've read on this site.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Nicely done. Very poignant.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Nicely done . Still being in love with him and dating other guys before the divorce was final seems out of character for her.. given what’s known of her. Apart from that possible anomoly a well done and excellent story

TC Ireland

laptopwriterlaptopwriter4 months agoAuthor

To mr. anonymous who said she fucked other men; if you're going to misrepresent the story, you get deleted.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Great story.

James G 5James G 54 months ago

Of course she slept with the guys she dated. She got bored in her marriage and wanted to fuck around. Then she realized paying all the bills snd doing everything herself sucked so she brought him back. Now she'll just cheat on him quietly.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

A real tear jerker! Very nice, five stars. JR

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Nice story but the wife's dating didn't make sense. She loves him and should have been heart broken, but in such a short space of time, only 5 months, she went out with three men that she considered having sex with. Apart from that, awesome as ever.

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandler6 months ago

Loved your story. THANKS

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Well done

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Continental Breakfast.

(The first meal after a prolonged fast... in marraige?)

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

I thought the story was different from the normal stories I've read in LW. It was more of a romance story than the cheating kind that I normally read and it was quite touching>

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good story. But it only took them two years of marriage to decide they had drifted apart and need to move on? Yikes! There are many divorces on 1-2 years but usually over incompatibility, abusive behavior, various addictions, and of course cheating. The next wave is 7 to 10 years. Then once kids got to university or graduate college, i.e. empty nest years.

oldpantythiefoldpantythief10 months ago

Some times all it takes is communication. Had one great story going until they got to the grave site, then escalated up to an outstanding story. Well done!

RodzzzRodzzz10 months ago

Wow! You are good. Good story and well written. Good dialogue. Well scripted love story. Makes me wish my very own wife would come back to me. I can dream.....can't I?

MrBill323MrBill32310 months ago

What a nice story

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo11 months ago

A real loving wife - and loving husband! story.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

what grabbed me was that for a women so hell bent on getting him back that she does this trick or trap with the car she has been dating and admits she was planning to bed the guys? Just for sex? That is telling that she can easily separate love with sex. So instead of trying harder and not even having sex on her mind she is out looking to get laid.

He should get a piece now (with condom) and then let the divorce complete.

theVikingSailortheVikingSailor11 months ago

A tear-jerker. I hate tear-jerkers. They make me cry. May their story bring lost lovers back to each other all over for many years to come.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Awww...

someoneothersomeoneother12 months ago

Other commentators have made my comment (but not the Anonymous loser who said MC should have packed car and disappear).

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Such a great story.

The best thing about it, is that there was no-one with less than honest, honorable intentions.

Normally, the wife has a friend who is sowing the seeds of discontent... not in this one, all she was, was a good, supportive friend.

It's very nice to read a story where it really was just a case of each taking the other for granted and accidentally letting the gap widen, to them realizing their error and repairing the marriage before it was destroyed by weakness and dishonor.

Just a feelgood flash sorry but very much appreciated.

Unusual on this site.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

4.5*'s Nice heart warming story but real life doesn't work that way. When you come within a few weeks of divorce to the point that all you are doing is waiting for the final decree, there are lots of problems in the marriage; many more than a good sex session are going to solve. Not sure why this is in loving wives category.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
NFW!

Me, I'd of packed as much of my stuff into the car and driven off. Let her have everything else. Just disappear, no contact with anyone.

demanderdemanderabout 1 year ago

A little thin on an explanation for the split. But a great story. D

Texican1830Texican1830about 1 year ago

I wonder how often poor communication and ego prevent reconciliation between people who love each other but drifted apart? Good story.

Helen1899Helen1899about 1 year ago

What a lovely heart warming story, people do make mistakes, it's nice to see the wife front up and admit it 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

The story was worth five stars

Well done.

JPB

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesabout 1 year ago

Great story, enjoyed the read. Thanks for your writing.

Bry1977Bry1977about 1 year ago

Great story!!!! but darn it these stories are not supposed to make me cry like that!!

Bry1977Bry1977about 1 year ago

Great story!!!! but darn it these stories are not supposed to make me cry like that!!

HighBrowHighBrowabout 1 year ago

Sweet. Disaster averted.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

💕😥💯💥💥💥💥💥👏

btrying_2btrying_2over 1 year ago

Super well written story. Enjoyed the tension and the uncertainty. Thanks. John

CaptFlintCaptFlintover 1 year ago

Damn well written story. Even got a little dusty in here for a moment. Thank you.

l0ver0tical0ver0ticaover 1 year ago

5 stars and favorited...

RubiconXRubiconXover 1 year ago

Delightful little story. Truly a loving - and strategic - wife. As always, realistic conversation between two adults, and a nuanced grasp of human emotion and motivation. The characters - especially Terry - are the kind of people you wish were real. So well-written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You have such imagination.....Good for her recognizing feeling and pulling his out.....love your style.

DP

Hiram325Hiram325over 1 year ago

One of my favorites.

clearlyenigmaticclearlyenigmaticover 1 year ago

A great story. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I am glad that it didn't. Well done.

AA82ndAAAA82ndAAover 1 year ago

Nice to read a well written story that goes ina different direction than most L/W stories. Love your work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Echoing all the positive comments; well-written, well-constructed story. Communication!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very sweet story, crisp dialogue, real, human characters, you tempered the sex with the romance perfectly, and a nice twist at the end. I've read a few of your stories, you have a keen mind and hope you continue writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Well done 5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

lovely

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Outstanding! 5+

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 2 years ago

Perfect real Loving Wife story.. 5*

iammweaseliammweaselalmost 2 years ago

Easy, peasey, lemon squeezing he gets the car and gets rid of the bitch. And since she wasnt a bitch its readers like that anon that make clear just how often this place is populated by knuckle dragging misogynists.

Excellent story, from start to finish. Though thats the norm for LTW.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 2 years ago

I don't know why I missed this story when it first came out! Read and loved it.

5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

You ab-so-tive-ly KILLED me with this story...

...probably because you made me think of my Dad, who I miss every day.

Well done !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Too bad it took the divorce for them to start speaking with each other rather than talking to each other. If you don't really speak about your problems they only get worse; never go away without a good reason.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Communication ... nurturing ... support ... discussion.

These are necessary things, beyond love itself, that people who are fond of saying "marriage takes work" are talking about, but often (ironically) don't actually say.

This couple fell a bit short in those areas for a while, and it nearly cost them their relationship.

}{

It's nice to read a story in LW that is uplifting! Ending is telegraphed a bit as it goes along (no surprise here), but that is "okay" by me. The ploy (and twist) involving the Lincoln is appreciated.

}{

Reconciliation? Sure, but not RAAC ... there was no lasting 'cost'.

BTB? Teased, but not even close, in the end!

}{

The story gets top marks from me ... liked it a LOT!

Frank66Frank66about 2 years ago

'My pappy said, Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin',

If you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln.'

Guess this must have been a different Lincoln......

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

You are a,wonderful writer.

I love the sideways twists in your stories!

usaretusaretabout 2 years ago

It is a good story, that’s it. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

What a wonderful story. To write this, one has to be truly…a romantic. My only disappointment is; five stars is the most I can give.

Btrying2Btrying2about 2 years ago

I am so much a sucker for a happy romance. This was a super story. I loved the back and forth as they both guarded their true feelings not wanted to be e one to “yield”. Great ending The car being his Dads was icing on the cake. Fabulous story. Yeah I had tears eyes off and on during the story loved it too!

Well written and excellently paced and revealed as the story unfolded. Thanks for sharing. John

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I'm a sucker for happy endings. Very good story.

OdessaLesOdessaLesover 2 years ago

Wonderful real life story. One of your best !!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dumb, Agreeing to a night of sex was a simp move by Bret. Bret should have pushed for the car to be auctioned off out of state with both of them and their friends being barred from bidding. Telling her any discussion of being fuck buddies would have to wait until after the divorce was final.

Hiram325Hiram325over 2 years ago

Another gem from this author. 5 Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I really enjoyed the story, a little to romantic for me, but still a great story with a great ending.

Les

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

"I...I started going over to Audrey's all the time so I wouldn't have to deal with our marriage being in trouble. It was my sanctuary"

She wanted him to fix everything with the marriage then she just comes back and enjoys the benefits

kirei8kirei8over 2 years ago

Would the reconciliation have happened if wifey had not dated and realized what a winner she had in him? She was serious about the divorce so it was only right she made the first recommitment to their marraige and kind of apologized for starting the divorce.

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

Terrific story and very unique. Loved it! 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

In the jumble of junk that fills the LW category….especially these days….there ARE exceptions.

.

This story is an absolute gem. Well written. Great plot. Happy ending. People you can connect with.

.

Super solid 5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Short and sweet ! A wonderful read, thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Great!! 5*

amygdalaamygdalaalmost 3 years ago

Damm that was an amazing read!!! Thank you author for making my day 😀

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

A great tale!

Enjoyed it immensely

Bill

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Another wimpy husband. Just instruct his lawyer to get the Continental by compensating his bitch with some more assets. If she refuses, take it to Court, show the Judge the reason he wants it and that just and fair compensation is being made in return. Easy, peasey, lemon squeezing he gets the car and gets rid of the bitch. Horrible ending.

GarySmith69GarySmith69almost 3 years ago

Good story thank you not sure about the wife dating but the husband has to live with that. I would like to think they made as a couple.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I liked everything except her dating three guys with sex on her mind. That shows she was ready to move on. So why did she want him back after 5 months? He evidently did not date. This would be a big big tell if I were her husband. There would have to be a bigger show of remorse than was given because she is the one who brought up the word " divorce ".

francemanfrancemanabout 3 years ago

A wonderfully smooth story.

5⭐

Thanks for sharing your talent.

MarkT63MarkT63about 3 years ago

More a romance than LW...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
prove it

She was already dating and they were not divorced yet she says she loved him and didn't want a divorce? Prove there was no sex. Prove there was no physical contact. Prove you just had dinner or talked, no kissing, no physical contact, no oral, no intercourse.

You can't prove it. SO I hope he wore a condom and I would continue with the divorce and maybe we start over dating but not until I had a few dates of my own.

FireFox59FireFox59over 3 years ago

This is one of your best stories.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Wow, what a great story of of rediscovering love. The continental was a great conduit to bring two people back together

so they would realize how much they really love each other. It is a shame that people sometimes really love each other yet take each other for granted, then in an act of stupidity, separate, divorce without making that effort to reconnect. In this case they really loved each other and she even though going out did not break her wedding vows. Well done. 5 stars.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Forgot

I forgot this story and how incredibly good it is. Way too good for LW.

BillandKateBillandKateover 3 years ago

Sometimes couples lose their way - nice to read a story where the two of them find their way back before it's too late. Thanks for a sweet 5 star tale.

PierremanvisPierremanvisover 3 years ago

A great story. Nice to have some happy reading. Nice character S with some wonderful erotic content. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Nicely done. It gives me a lift to read a story with a happy ending.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

Beautiful story. Pity his mother never knew it was his father's old car.

Helen1899Helen1899over 3 years ago

I am not bothered what anybody else thinks, I loved the story, I bet a large percentage of divorced couples wish that they hadn't gone through with it.

enderlocke27enderlocke27over 3 years ago
umm

enjoyed it. if any female reading this comment, dont use big boy as a term of endearment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
NFW!

Me, I'd of had the car cut in half, right down the middle. She could have either half, as-long-as she signed the divorce papers.

lee5456lee5456almost 4 years ago
How childish

Stand those two idiots in the corner

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I have been the couple in this story. We fought constantly

He was also my second husband so I was even more devestates. And no, I never cheated. My first husband abused me.

Anyway, we fought all the time and we were headed for divorce. I was convinced he wanted a newer model and he thought the same of me. He was convinced I cheated. I would never. Yeah I was bored and angry but I would never disrespect him that way.

We went on for months at an impass. He was convinced I cheated and I was convinced the same.. we happened to have a meeting to discuss assets and it all came out. All the insecurities. All of the fears. Like this story we stepped back and really talked. We met for dinner and closed the place. He came home to our home and spent the night together. It wasnt crazy sex. No, he didn't give me dozens of orgasms. He did give me love. I could feel it coming off him and it made me feel so safe and loved in satisfied. Sure I came and it was more meaningful. His face looking at me. It was pure love... a mature love.

The effect of times over the years and we still fight. At the end of the day we are truly meant to be with each other and the love between us cannot be denied. I understand mature love now that I've gotten older. When you're young and it's new and the sex is outrageous.... that seems to be the most important thing in the world. Give me decades of love and compassion any day.

Mu gets haired, slightly balding, a little gut... husband makes me feel like no one else matters. Everything else is not important.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15almost 4 years ago

Loved the fact that it was his Dad's car. Wonder why no one thought to check earlier.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
The games people play

This story seemed a bit trite. Almost like she was just playing games with him. Seems like she may have gone too far, but wanted him to apologize. Just another game she likes to play. If it was me, I would torch the tank, and start running away from that mind game.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous