Dangerous Affairs Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cpm09
cpm09
26 Followers

Her face immediately paled and the look of fear was back. It just about killed Damien. She had been so happy for the past few days and now the black shadow was back. Damn it!

"I wish it was all over. It's like my whole life is on hold." She said, disheartened.

"Not for much longer, love." Damien said bringing her to the security of his arms.

*********

Michael had been pacing for two hours. He had been restless and the waiting was unnerving. Two months. Two fucking months! He had been confined to this place with nothing much to do but listen to the crap music playing on the radio; courtesy of the three assholes designated to watch him. Michael knew it would be much longer before Salvatore's men caught up with him. He had to get a word to Gino.

To add to his problems, Michael couldn't stop thinking of Leigh. Her taste still lingered in his mouth even after all this time. That made him be constantly aroused; but the thought of her in the arms of that Detective infuriated him. Son of a bitch! Michael shut his eyes and screamed with anger. If he couldn't have her, no one else would.

************

Leigh had been keeping herself busy, trying desperately not to think about the upcoming trial and the fact that she would have to once again face Michael. She was the most important witness and despite of her discontentment about being in the same room as Michael, she would be damned if she didn't go and help convict him.

She had just finished sorting out the laundry when she heard the doorbell. Leigh checked her watch and frowned. She knew it wasn't Damien, as he said he wouldn't be back till after lunch. Who could it be?

Walking almost on the tip of her toes, she stopped a few feet from the door and shouted. "Who is it?"

"Miss Grayson? Leigh? It's me Agent Johnson."

"Oh!" Leigh wasn't totally convinced and opened the door warily. "Hey!" She said and in return she received a warm smile from him.

"Hey! You look well." Leigh said with a bright smile.

"Thank you. Can I come in?" Darryl stood at the door with his hands in his pockets. God, I almost forgot how beautiful she was, He thought longingly.

"Of course, I'm sorry. Come in, come in." She said as she stepped aside. Once inside, Leigh's brightness faded a little.

It was warm and cosy in her house but why was it that she started to feel cold and shivery? Something wasn't right, and even though Darryl tried to hide his apprehension, she picked up on it straight away.

"What's up? What happened?" Leigh asked warily.

Darryl thought she looked adorable in those sweatpants. His memory didn't do her beauty justice, but her sweet face now had a worried expression that he knew his unexpected visit had brought on.

He stood silently for a moment, studying her face. He'd debated for a long time before deciding on coming to see her. He should have left it to the officers in charge to break the news, but he thought he owed her at least that much.

"Hmm... are you alone? Where's Detective Crook?"

"He doesn't live here, Darryl. Why?" She was getting more anxious by the minute. Her voice was starting to falter.

Just as she was about to ask him what was wrong again, her phone rang.

"Answer that." He nodded to the phone when she didn't make any move to go for it.

"Hello!" Leigh answered but never took her eyes away from Darryl's.

"Leigh, it's me. Look, I..."

"Darryl's here, Damien. What's going on?" She blurted it out, not letting him finish. Damien gritted his teeth in an attempt to control his temper. Why the hell did Johnson have to be there? Damien had an idea and it didn't make him feel any calmer.

"Damn it!" He growled. "Pass the phone to him, please."

"No, I need to know what is going on." "I will tell you soon, sweetheart, but I need to speak with him first."

After a long pause and a frustrated sign she did what he'd asked her.

"Don't tell her anything yet, Johnson. I am on my way." Damien told him.

"Fine, I was going to wait for you anyway." Darryl hung up the phone and Leigh stared at him. After a moment of silence, she sensed he wasn't going to tell her anything. She turned and started walking to the kitchen.

"Coffee?" She asked without looking back at Darryl, so she'd missed his eyes studying her figure. "I have tea if you'd prefer."

"Coffee would be fine, thanks." He managed to reply, but his voice carried a hint of tension. Leigh noticed how close he stood next to her. He kept the conversation light and casual while waiting for Damien to arrive. However, Leigh felt a little uncomfortable under his intense gaze.

"So, are you and Crook still seeing each other?" He asked bluntly.

Leigh almost dropped the mug of coffee on the floor. She coughed a little trying to disguise her nervousness.

"No offence, but it's none of your business." Leigh said but averted her eyes.

"Sorry, I had the impression you two were together. He's very protective of you. I have to say, I can't blame him. I would've been the same."

"Darryl..."

Darryl moved even closer. Leigh's eyes were wide with surprise.

"I hope he realises how lucky he is..." He said as he stroked her cheek with his thumb. The gesture didn't repulse Leigh, but it didn't make her feel anything like whenever Damien touched her. It just felt like a warm caress from a friend or a brother.

"I am the lucky one." That's all she said as she gently removed his hands off her, but Darryl stood contemplatively, then he smiled and nodded.

Stepping away from her, he leaned against the kitchen counter and folded his arms. "I meant to talk to you earlier, but things got a little crazy."

"What do you mean?" she said as she made an attempt to collect the two empty mugs from the kitchen table.

Darryl stopped her by softly putting a hand on her forearm. "I failed you." He said simply. "I am sorry."

Leigh looked at him with disbelief. Had he been blaming himself? Now she felt bad for not considering his feelings. However, she didn't have a chance to say anything, because at the kitchen door stood a very pissed looking Damien.

What the fuck! He was staring at Darryl's hand still laid on her arm. For him it just looked too intimate and utterly inappropriate. Hell, who was he kidding, he was jealous, simply and purely.

"Don't let my presence disrupt your tender moment." Damien regretted his words the moment he heard himself saying them.

Leigh chose to ignore his comment and walked to meet him. "I never heard you coming in." As his expression softened she kissed him lightly and placed her head in his chest. "I missed you."

That did it. Damien could not stay mad at her. If he was honest with himself he would have to admit that there was nothing to be mad about anyway, he trusted her completely. However, Agent charming Johnson was a different matter entirely.

"Johnson." Damien said with a cold look.

"Crook." Darryl nodded.

Silence engulfed the room.

"Ah, for God's sake!" Leigh said impatiently. "If you two are finished sizing each other up, I'd like to know what exactly is going on." She had pushed herself away from Damien's embrace and stood with her arms crossed, waiting for their responses.

"Michael's escaped custody." Damien broke the dreaded news. "This morning."

Now it was her turn to be silent. She was trying to process the information and all the implications of it.

"Okay..."

"There is more." Darryl said dismissing Damien's disapproving stare.

"Our informants say that Visconti has an interest in you."

"ME?!" The fear in her voice prompted Damien to quickly pull her to him.

"They won't get anywhere near you, love."

"I came to offer protection. We could take you away and keep you safe until...."

"No." She shook her head vehemently. "I refuse to hide while they are free. No."

"Leigh, please..." Damien begged.

This time she turned to Darryl. "Set up a meeting with Visconti. I want a word with him."

Damien's and Darryl's shocked faces somehow gave Leigh some confidence. Yeah, I am leading the show now.

cpm09
cpm09
26 Followers
12