Dark as Daylight Ch. 05a

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Chief, I am ordering my men to open fire on the van."

Jayden yelled, "Do it."

You didn't have to be there to hear the explosion, or see the plume of smoke rising from the ground.

Jayden yelled to his driver, "Get me there."

It was a race between his car and Dan's.

The remainder of our caravan moved slowly, until we were a few hundred yards from the scene of the crime. We were ordered to stay in our cars.

The four officers parked their vehicles nearly 60 yards away from the 2 disabled vehicles. They were taking every precaution possible because none of these people would come out and greet them, as a normal person would if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere, and a police officer stopped to offer assistance. These people were irrational from the very beginning, and died because of it.

One police car was on its side, while the 3 others had broken glass on the side of the blast. The officers themselves were okay, except they were a little hard of hearing. They would receive treatment for that, but they were alive, and that was always the best outcome of a situation like this.

Jayden and Jim were walking around looking at the site.

Jim said, "I don't believe this was meant for us. The shape is wrong. Look at the police cars, they barely hurt 3 of them, and they only rolled over one. This was meant for garage, under a building, and not a very big one. There wasn't enough fertilizer, or kerosene to do much damage. I would make you a wager it was for a building with a Planned Parenthood Facility on the first floor."

"It's possible they were going to buy more fertilizer. There is a factory 70 miles down the road, and Denver has several Planned Parenthood Facilities that are still open."

"Why don't you leave a few officers with the cars, and let's continue with our main mission for the day."

"I agree."

"Sergeant Tyree, leave 2 of your men here until the wrecker's come, and the 2 of you get in another car and hitch a ride."

"Yes sir."

"By the way Sergeant, great work."

"Thank you, sir."

********************

Abel Walker opened the gates to Even's property, as soon as he saw the police cars exit interstate 70. Roz signaled him to get into her car as they proceeded towards the monument.

The first thing Rod smiled about was when they passed over the patch in the road Even had paved over instead of waiting for the county to do it. When the county found out the roadway had been fixed they threatened to sue him for doing it without a permit, license, or County permission. Even had him sue the county for the entire amount of their budget for the next 5 years, and would not relent. For the next 4 years, the county begged, and pleaded with Rod to come to some sort of an arrangement with Even over this matter. He kept saying to them, "You have ruined my clients image among the public. How is he ever supposed to get it back? The only way is through your money, and you will never do it to anyone else again."

They were at a compulsory mediation meeting, with a retired judge, who both parties knew well. The judge said, "Cut the shit Rod, Even doesn't need this money, what does he want from the county?"

"Pain. He wants them to suffer, because they were being so stupid over the hole in front of his property. They refused to fix it for years, so finally he did. Then they threatened to sue him, because he fixed it. You can't do that to Even. He will come after you, no he will send me after you, and I am very good at it."

"So how do I end this thing between you 2?"

"A front-page apology from the County Father's to Doctor Even Luck stipulating they were wrong for not fixing the hole for over 4 years, causing irreparable harm to his vehicle, and forcing him to buy a new one. They forced this lawsuit on him, which is going to cost the county several hundred thousand dollars in my legal fees, plus several thousand dollars in their legal fees. All of this could have been avoided, if they would have acted like normal rational human beings."

"You know as well as I do they will not write it up that way. I will write it up, the county commissioners will each sign off on it and it will be published that way. You will submit your bill to the county, and they will have 30 days to pay it. Keep it below $500,000 Rod, you don't need the money either."

"Stephen you're hitting me where it hurts me the most."

"No, I would have to hide Rosalynn for a week, to do that to you."

"I don't have to take this abuse; I'm going to lunch. Do you want to join me?"

"Since you are paying, of course, I am."

**************************

The police set up a perimeter around the rear of the house, outside the fence on the land belonging to the National Park Service. If anyone was going to try to sneak up on them that would be the easiest way to do it.

William, Rod, and Dycke's teams formed a wide oval around the exterior of the monument, leaving their principles to do their business by the monument.

Richard and Holden got down on their knees, on top of the grass in front of the monument. They put their hands on their father's name, as they said a prayer for him. They pulled their hands off the monument, as if they were startled, and looked at each other.

Richard asked his brother, "Did you hear that?"

"What did you hear?"

"I heard dad say, 'Smile, mommy gave you 2 new sisters."

"That's what I heard."

They shouted it to everyone, but amazingly, everyone heard something different from Even at the same moment.

Even told Dycke and Payne there was a new book for them on their dining room table.

Gwen and William Junior were congratulated on the conception of their twin girls.

He thanked Rod and Rosalynn for taking such good care of his sons.

He thanked Jemma separately. He said, "Jemma, you have changed Williams life for the better. Depending on how you treat him, you will extend his stay on earth. No more babies."

To William he said, "William, my dearest friend, you are putting the hen closer to the fox. Start training the hen, because you cannot guard her, while she sleeps."

Williams eyes opened wide as he looked at his son.

Patrick looked at his dad. He received the same message from Doctor Even Luck.

Patrick walked over to his father and told him he would learn to protect himself, the same way he learned how to study. He would excel within a short period of time.

Seconds after everyone recovered from receiving their message, it a became a camera show on the left side of the monument. Dycke, Rod, Gwen, and William Junior all had their expensive cameras out taking pictures of the star formations. Gwen outdid them all. Her camera was set up on a tripod to limit movement. Junior was angry with her because he forgot to bring his. He kept kicking it as she depressed the shutter. After he did it one too many times, he walked around with a limp for the rest of the day.

When the boys in got their way, the picture taking stopped. Richard and Holden began deciphering the route taken by the Good Luck 1, to the day of their dad's death. They estimated the amount of miles traveled. Neither had taken their computers from the SUV's, but they knew the distance to the White Hole.

Holden said, "It's nearly 5 times the speed of light."

"I agree, but how the hell did they slow down to go through the White Hole?"

While everyone was hovering around the boys, William was holding on to the monument, where his friend rested below.

"For once in your life Even, couldn't you have been wrong this one time. Would it have upset the balance of nature for you to have lived a life as long as mine, instead of leaving us all behind? I have done things in my life I cannot be redeemed for. Even though I am trying to make this world a better place now, can't erase what I did before. My children will continue this quest for good after I'm gone. You would have been so much better at it. I hope your God, whoever she is, knows what she is getting when you arrive at her front door. I never met a man willing to give up everything to fulfill someone else's quest; to reach your daughter's dream of space flight. You've reached everyone's dream my friend. Your daughter has proven her engines work, and she is now flying in space trillions of miles away. Your family, and friends now search for a planet they will call Earth 2. Their adventures will go on and on, until one day..."

The End

Chapter 5

Dark As Daylight

by

Prolonged_Debut10

34,374 words

1...5678910