Dawn's Destiny

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
msnomer68
msnomer68
300 Followers

She pulled the blanket under her chin and sipped the coffee Mack had handed her through the pass through in the bars. "Why am I in here?" she asked, as if she didn't know. He'd seen something he shouldn't have and he was freaked out. Mack grunted at her and ran a hand through his grown out high and tight. He was just shy of sixty, gray at the temples with thick shocks of silver woven throughout his brown hair. He had a tanned, weathered face, heavily lined at the corners of his eyes and mouth. His pale bluish-green eyes had a weariness about them that spoke of how much of a toll this job, or maybe his life, had taken on him. But, he stood tall in his brown uniform and wore his polished badge with pride. Fit for a man his age, he leaned against the corner of his desk and watched her intently missing nothing as he sipped his coffee from a Styrofoam cup.

"You're not under arrest," Mack answered calmly. He'd been on this job for long enough to know just how emotion could escalate situations. And he wanted things nice and easy and her the hell out of his jailhouse. "I'd just feel better if you stayed on your side of the bars and I stayed on mine."

"Well why don't you come in here and I'll go out there then?" Tala asked. Her wolf was well under control and she was not a danger, despite what he thought to the contrary. He actually chuckled at her comment, the laugh lines at the corners of his mouth deepening as he smiled. Mack was not a bad man. Her wolf would have picked up on any bad mojo radiating from him immediately. She glanced down at her fingers, and frowned at the dried blood caked in the corners of her nails.

It was hard to do sexy with bits of God knew what in her hair. The weak stream of water from the sink in the corner of the cell and the harsh soap really hadn't done a good job of cleaning off the muck. She gave up trying. Mack wasn't the least bit affected by the peep show anyway. In the line of duty, he'd probably seen more than a flash of thigh. And had more than one girl attempt to flirt her way out of trouble. Mack had a nice chuckle, warm and friendly. And it hinted at the fact that he was a man who truly enjoyed life and had plans to live it to the fullest. She hoped he was able to do just that.

Mack admired Tala's spunk. She'd been a little sneaky. Trying to flirt her way out of the cell by flashing her legs at him. They were nice legs and he appreciated the show. But, she wasn't getting out of that cell until someone equally paranormal came to pick her up. She'd given him a date of birth. Although, he really didn't believe she was really twenty-one. There was too much worldliness in her eyes. She'd fudged on her address. Giving him an out of state post office box in Nevada. She was trying to cover her tracks. Without tipping her hand. Acting as if turning into a werewolf was an everyday occurrence and everybody did it. "Dane will be here soon and he'll take you home."

Tala stared at Mack over the rim of her Styrofoam cup. "You know about Dane? But, you're not..." And he wasn't otherworldly or if he was. He was a damn sight better at hiding it than she.

"No, I'm not. But, we all have our secrets. And know that yours is safe with me." Mack glanced over his shoulder as a sharp rap on the glass got his attention. He was the only one working the station. And in this small town in the middle of nowhere, where everybody knew everybody, he didn't bother much with security. If a big baddie really wanted to cause trouble, there wasn't much a door or a shotgun could do to stop them. Not in this neck of the woods anyway. The bad guys didn't use guns around here. And if he had trouble of a human variety, he had plenty of back up that wasn't exactly as human as they appeared. "Great Father," Mack bowed his head in reverent respect for the warrior. And he had to admit. He was a bit intrigued that the man himself had shown up to retrieve Tala. "She's all yours," he said, unlocking the cell and discreetly closing the door that separated the twin cells from the rest of his station house behind him as he left them to talk.

"Thanks Mack, and the name is Drew." Mack was a faithful member of the Sons, a human donor. And time and time again, he'd more than proven his loyalty to the brotherhood. Any secret the brothers had was safe with him.

The sack of clothing he'd rummaged from the laundry room rattled in his hands as he handed it to Tala. "Tala," he said with a smile. "I didn't expect to see you again so soon." Turning his back to give her privacy, he tried like hell not to imagine her naked. If he actually saw her naked, neither one of them were going to be leaving this cell anytime soon.

Tala riffled through the bag and pulled out the most bizarre outfit she'd ever seen. Green sweatpants, a purple blouse, and two tennis shoes that were the same size but didn't match. Conveniently, he'd forgotten a bra and underwear. Or maybe, he just didn't get it. She pulled the ridiculously large sweatpants over her hips and shimmied into the snug shirt, the buttons gaping and straining over her breasts. Sliding her feet into the mismatched tennis shoes, she cleared her throat. Silently walking behind him and avoiding Mack's amused gaze, she followed Drew to the idling SUV.

Tala climbed inside and sat in silence as he shut her in and slid into the seat beside her. She was grateful that he had come to her rescue. But, words escaped her. Nothing she could say, the thoughts formulating in her head, sounded right. She turned her head, shifting in her seat away from him. Staring out into the dim glow of the streetlights rather than meet his eyes.

"You ok?" Drew asked. Resting his palm on the gearshift between them, he could feel the heat radiating from her body. She looked everywhere and anywhere except at him. Hiding from him behind the thick tangles in her matted hair, slouching lower and lower in the seat. He slid the truck into drive and pulled away from the curb. Tala didn't want to talk. He got it. There was no pushing a woman to do anything she didn't want to do. To fill the awkwardness of the silence stretching across the distance, he flipped on the radio. His first driving lesson was in a Ford Model T. Cars had changed a lot since then. And the SUV really was a wonder with all the gadgets and buttons. The nasal twang of country music coming from the speakers set his fangs on edge. But, he had no idea of what kind of music she preferred or if she preferred music at all. So he left the station where it was.

Tala rolled her eyes and flipped off the radio after a quick scan through the stations. Satellite radio was great, if you could find something worth listening to. And guessing at the tightness in Drew's jaw, she hadn't. "Thanks for coming," she said. Her voice was shaky, barely more than a whisper. She quickly averted her eyes away from his features.

"Dane is taking care of the truck. And I've already called your father and explained what happened." Drew draped an arm casually around the back of the seat, brushing across her shoulder with his fingertips. He really hadn't done a good job of choosing her wardrobe. At the time, he'd been in a hurry to get to her and hadn't considered the colors, the styles, or the sizes of what he grabbed out of the stack of clean clothes. The blouse clung tightly to her breasts. And the pants hung off of her hips about to fall off despite how tightly she'd cinched the ties. The shoes didn't match, but at least he'd grabbed a left and a right shoe and they fit.

"I thought you could do without dealing with him right now. He's just relieved that you're ok." Drew was relieved that she was ok too. The truck was a total loss. He'd driven past it on the way to pick her up. The windshield had splintered and there was a very noticeable caved in section in the front bumper. Given the amount of rust on the body and the chipped and faded paint, no respectable body shop or even one of lesser reputation would repair the damage. The truck simply wasn't worth fixing.

"I heal fast," Tala said. She could rest her head on his hard muscled forearm and pretend the rest of the world didn't exist. But instead, she tightened her arms across her chest and sat ramrod straight in the seat. "I was driving too fast and the deer jumped out in front of me. It was an accident."

"I know." Drew navigated the black SUV through the vacant streets of the dozing town and onto the highway. "Where to?"

"Home, I guess," Tala sighed. She wanted to stay with him. But, her pride and also her common sense wouldn't let her admit it. She glanced over at him as he turned off the highway onto a narrow, weed-infested road. The SUV handled the dips in the road like a champion. Drew took his time driving. The powerful beams of the headlights cut a sharp path through the darkness. This wasn't the way home. Or at least not a way that she knew of. "I thought you were taking me home?"

"I am. Going the scenic route, if that's ok." The truth was he wasn't ready to turn her over to her father, not yet. He wanted her to himself for a while longer. A few stolen moments wouldn't hurt either of them. They had plenty to talk about and there was no time like the present to engage in a dialogue. If only he had a clue as how to start one.

"Oh." Tala clamped her lips tightly shut and settled back, watching the uneven fields and thick copses of trees roll past her window. A fat, round moon cast silvery shadows over the peaceful scenery. And the silence stretched on and on between them, awkward and uncomfortable in its intensity, empty and urgent with the need to fill it with something. "I think I scared the shit out of Mack," she said.

Drew chuckled at that. Not much rattled Mack anymore. But, she certainly had. "You did. He'll be all right though. He's just had his view of the world shaken up a bit, that's all."

Tala joined in and added her laughter to Drew's. "It kind of makes you wonder what else is out there. Fairies, boogie men, Santa Claus." She shrugged. "Who really knows?"

"Meeting you was more than enough to rock my world. I don't think I could handle any more surprises in this or any other lifetime," Drew said huskily. Sliding his fingers tighter around her shoulders, he guided her into the crook of his arm. Or as close to him as he could get with the console blocking the way.

Tala didn't pull away. She soaked up the warmth of his fingers and let it permeate into the very core of her being. The contact between them felt so good. So right. Like coming home after a long journey away. She couldn't resist the pull of him. Didn't want to. His scent enveloped her, soothing and calming the two battling parts of her that were wolf and woman. The corner of the console dug into her ribs. But, she didn't care. He was too comfortable to let even the slightest discomforts distract her.

Just beyond the next boundary of looming black trees was the hidden drive to her house. He pressed down on the brakes and slowed the SUV to a halt. Easing the gearshift into park. Damnable safety features and what not, he couldn't get any closer to her without pulling her into his lap. And that was an idea he liked the sound of. Instead, he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and guided her to him. "I missed you."

His breath caressed her cheek. She missed him too. Being this close to him was killing her. Literally and totally melting her resolve. Her father didn't matter. Her obligations were forgotten. And there was only she, this man, and his arms around her. His warmth, the incredible heat of him pressed against her. All she had to do was reach out. She closed her eyes and tipped up her chin. Gasping, as his lips descended on hers. Engaging them in a desperate kiss.

Tala's mouth, so warm and inviting, and the moan, the sweet, gentle moan that escaped her throat was music to his ears. He probed past her full lips and invaded her mouth with his tongue. Lapping and suckling against hers in a dance as ancient and primitive as time itself. The steps, they both knew. Heat blazed through him as she responded. Matching his fervor. Speeding the tempo with urgency and longing.

He tasted wild, like the woods he inhabited. Untamed, like the wild creature he was. How had she ever existed without his touch? His kiss? Was there truly any sensation that was more blissful than the feeling of his lips crushing against hers? She savored every stroke and tickle of his tongue as it glided across hers.

Drew was lost in a world where only Tala existed. He wanted more. He tasted her lips, sweet, feminine, sheer decadence and luxury. She was everything. Before her, he hadn't really lived. He did his duty, he lead his brothers. But, he was only existing, not truly living. She was the reason his heart beat. He knew now that he'd woken up every morning, to exist another day, because somehow, he'd known she was coming. And now that she was here, in his arms, he was never going to let her go. She was gentle, and so soft, so warm, and so uniquely her.

"Tala," he whispered. Breaking the kiss he gently rested his forehead against hers. "My beautiful Tala. Please, tell me you love me." His heart ached with the need to hear her gentle voice whisper the words. He stroked the softness of her cheek. Her hands were warm, trembling as they curled around the collar of his shirt and gripped him tightly and desperately against her.

"I do. I love you," she whispered. Drew breathed in her words. His lips descended upon hers in another urgent and desperate kiss. A kiss that burned deep into her soul. Fusing the two of them together. In the agonizing weeks apart, she'd found the courage to admit the truth to Drew and to herself. The consequences didn't matter. As long as he was by her side, she could endure anything.

"I'll talk to my father," Tala said. Her body screamed at the cool rush of air as he pulled away from her. His eyes desperately searched hers for the truth in the words she spoke. She meant them. Tala didn't know how her father would take the news. And she had no idea of how she would handle Grant or the rest of the pack. Seeing Drew tonight, interacting with her family. Gave her the spark of hope she needed. He was the Great White Wolf come home He might not wear the fur. But, the spirit was in him, a part of him. And there was no turning back for either of them.

"When? I want to be there for you when you do." Drew couldn't dampen down the grin spreading across his face. He'd run to the bluffs and marry her tonight, if he could. She needed time. And as she'd given him the time he'd needed. He'd make sure she got hers.

"Soon. I don't know when, but soon." Tala ran a finger across Drew's smooth cheek. It would be easier if the pack could see him in his magnificent fur. She sensed the wolf and man had fully melded. But, she wasn't certain that Drew had completely come to terms with all that he was. A part of him, as much of it was wolf, still didn't entirely accept everything. He needed more time. And she was going to try to give him all the time he deserved. His whole world had been turned upside down. Things had never been exactly what they'd seemed. And she understood. "You're the only thing that matters to me. And there will never be another. Never."

"It is the same for me, Tala. We'll find a way to make this work. I promise." Drew stole another kiss, quick and light, from her lips and slid the SUV into drive. Slowly inching up the lane to the house. The moments rushed by too fast and she was climbing out of the passenger side before he said everything he'd planned to say. He smiled at her and reached across the seat to give her hand a tight squeeze. She squeezed his back and quickly shut the door.

He closed his eyes. Inhaling the lingering essence of her scent. A dark thought niggled in the back of his mind. She was willingly sacrificing everything for him. And there was one fear he harbored more than all others. Despite everything she'd said. He worried that love wouldn't be enough. And she'd long for the one thing he wasn't certain he could give her or truly wanted. Even though she adamantly professed that she didn't want children. Would she always feel the same way?

He smiled as Tala's bedroom light clicked on bathing the lawn in yellow light. She undressed in front of the sheer curtain. Her shape a dark outline against the wash of light. Knowing he still sat in the driveway, watching her. The little minx was teasing him. And he couldn't work up the slightest amount of annoyance. Ka-tet, good fate, he had to believe, would find them and provide them with the answers they needed. If they were truly meant to be together, they would be together. And it was only as simple or as difficult as they made it. There was no fighting against destiny and no use to try.

Chapter 8

The wolf crouched low in the bushes, watching. His dark shape blended in with the spindly underbrush. Stealth was a wolf's best friend. The ability to see and not be seen was his greatest asset. Instinctively, he gave the vehicle backing down the drive a wide berth. A low threatening growl rumbled through his body. Fur bristling on end and nose wrinkling at the scents in the air, he trotted from tree trunk to tree trunk. Marking his territory brazenly. Warning off the unwelcome intruder. No outsiders were welcome here. Ever. No one would threaten his domain or try to take what rightfully belonged to him without a fight.

The human sharing his body roared in murderous outrage and snatched control of the flesh. The wolf yielded. Shimmering and quaking, painfully, the transformation began. Awakening naked and shivering from the pain and coolness of the night, Grant lifted his head and forced his weight onto his feet. He saw what the wolf saw and heard what the wolf heard. Only in his human mind it had an entirely different meaning than it had to his wolf's more basic psyche. He didn't bother clothing his impressive body. He walked naked and out in the open up the gravel drive to the house. Plucking bits of grass and debris from his black hair and letting them fall to the ground, one thought occupied his mind. Bile rose in his throat at the sick feeling of anger and hurt burning in his stomach. "Tala."

Genetically, he was her perfect match. He didn't want to be the bastard that he often was. But, sometimes being a pure son of a bitch was necessary in this world. He flexed his powerful biceps and stretched his long body, shaking off the residual aches from his shift. He was everything a wolf should be, long, lithe, muscular, swift, fierce, and wickedly crafty. Tala would do well to respect those qualities in him. How far he'd come from the shy boy eager for a stolen kiss to a powerful wolf capable of becoming the next pack master.

He'd tried to win her with gentleness and the playfulness of a wolf's heart. And when that hadn't worked. He'd tried to overwhelm her with his powerful aura. The wolves inside of them sought strength in a mate and the pull of a stronger wolf was sometimes impossible to resist. That hadn't worked either. Tala didn't want him. Unfortunately or fortunately from his point of view, sometimes, it didn't matter what you wanted. Your wolf-your world- chose for you.

This time of night was quiet, the fragile time between the darkest of night and the beginning of dawn. He padded through the house in his bare feet. The floorboards cool against his soles. It was strange sometimes, how in a house filled with family, a person could feel so damn alone. He crept past the pile of kids sleeping on the couch and turned to climb the stairs. He missed puppy piles as the adults playfully called them. Everyone had a bed of their own. But, it was a treat for a kid to wake up in a tangle of blankets and arms and legs, surrounded by the scent and the warmth of the pack.

He'd been born an orphan. His mother had died in childbirth. His father hadn't had the strength to fight losing his soul mate and joined her shortly after. But, he'd never felt like an orphan. He was the luckiest kid in the pack, because he had the love of not just two parents but dozens of them.

msnomer68
msnomer68
300 Followers
1...678910...39