Dawn's Shelter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Tristen was not as country boy innocuously clueless as he pretended. He smiled and poured on the charm, trying to catch her off guard. And he was adorably cute in a boyish way. He was a man, growing into his man's body and grappling with a man's thoughts. She was used to dealing with men who knew exactly who and what they were, and exactly what they wanted. Tristen hadn't quite come to terms with any of it yet. He didn't fight against his nature. It was as if he hadn't quite figured out what to do with it. And he, this man-boy, was the only link to her sister.

Turning off the engine, she gathered up her purse and nodded at him in thanks as he held her car door open for her. She shot him an appraising stare. It was an embarrassing gesture that reminded her too much of her mother. She shifted her gaze to the ground. It was a sign of weakness to be the first to break eye contact. But, she was not her mother's daughter and she'd never judge a man by the superficial exterior the way her mom did. "So this place has the best coffee in town?"

"Guarantee it," Tristen said. Always the gentleman, he risked slipping and falling on his ass on the ice as he trotted ahead of her to get the door. Maybe, Kacie appreciated the strong, male type. The females in the Pack sure didn't. They'd just as soon chew your arm off as accept any type of gentlemanly gesture. But, he watched and he studied. And hopefully he learned something about how to treat a lady from the careful, respectful way Grant was around his mate, Claire, and the way his father treated Gina. Besides, who knew, his alpha male behavior might throw Kacie off her game enough to spill some secrets.

Kacie grated her teeth at Tristen holding the door open for her. As if she couldn't open the door for herself. No one had ever held a door for her or helped her out of a car before. Her mother got this type of treatment, not her. But, this was the outside world. She was not home amongst her people. And it really wasn't that bad, letting someone treat you with a bit of respect. Maybe, pretending to appreciate his gestures would score her a few points and soften him up. If she appeared to be unassuming, mimicking the act he played for her, maybe he'd slip up and say something about her sister.

Oh, they were both cunning wolves. Carefully dancing around the goal they both had in mind. Kacie kept her mouth shut as Tristen poured two cups of coffee and went to the cash register to pay. She followed him to a table in the corner of the gas station and took a seat. Truth was, she was one of those people who paid five bucks for a cup of coffee. And the stuff in the paper cup clutched in her hand was swill. She smiled as if it was the best coffee she'd ever tasted and forced the swallow in her mouth down her throat. "Best in town."

Tristen had chosen the gas station on purpose. He'd deliberately chosen the table and her seat, putting her with back to the door on purpose. He'd done it as another way to throw her off balance. Wolves didn't like their backs exposed. And with him facing the door, she was dependent on him to watch her back. He glanced over Kacie's head and nodded at the vampire behind the cash register in casual greeting. Toby still worked the night shift on occasion. Not for the money and certainly not for the prestige. But, the gas station was right off the interstate and on the main drag through town. Toby worked here for the vantage point of keeping an eye on who was coming and who was going. Tristen had the situation well under control. But, it was nice to know someone had his back too. "Absolutely."

Chapter 8

"You trust these people?" Jan whispered into Thomas's ear. She deliberately lagged behind, sticking close to Thomas as the...huge mountains of men clad in black leather and armed to the teeth and reeking of something...other, led them through the tunnels. She shuddered as she watched the speed and grace at which the inhabitants of this place moved through the winding corridors ahead of them. She gasped in surprise as two more men, big as brick shit houses, slid from an adjoining hall to fall in step behind, sandwiching them between walls of sheer muscle and bruit force.

"With my life." Thomas adjusted his grip on Jan's belt loops to keep her from bolting as Chance and John Mark fell in step behind them. Jan was on the verge of freaking out. Pulling her closer, he ducked his shoulder under her arm, allowing her to use him as a crutch and take the weight off her injured ankle. The air prickled with the preternatural energy that was the brotherhood. She could sense the unfamiliar tingle of power and offered no resistance as he helped her along.

"Huh." She craned her neck over her shoulder to take a look at the two men behind her. She didn't like the looks of them. Dangerous, muscle bound and clad in black leather. Their expressions hard and eyes determined as if they meant to put her in her place with just a glance. That and to give warning for her not to start any trouble, because if she did, they'd be more than happy to finish it. Her eyes focused on the weaponry strapped to their bodies. Polished blades gleaming brightly in the overhead lighting, affixed to their hips by a thick leather belt. Straps of leather crisscrossed over broad chests, housing long, sharp, lethal looking swords across their backs.

Her eyes took in the long maze of hallways that trailed into the distance off the main corridor they walked through. There were no windows and miles of beige walls stretched out in front and behind her. They were traveling down. The air was fresh, but stifling. Pumped in through a ventilation system and distributed throughout the confining labyrinth. They were descending deeper and deeper underground.

Underground was not a good place for her. But, it was better than what awaited her topside. With another twist and turn, she was led into a long hallway flanked by thick, highly polished and ornately carved oak doors evenly spaced along the long hallway. Here, the walls were painted with murals of outdoors, trees and leaves, deer, lakes and rivers. The scenes were peaceful and very masterfully painted. But, they did little to foster a sense of serenity inside of her.

She didn't like this place. She didn't like the sweet, earthy scent that tickled the back of her nose. Every preternatural sense she'd ignored he whole life, clamored in her head, demanding acknowledgement and action. Beside her, Thomas was cool, relaxed, at ease with the subterranean surroundings. "Thomas, what is this place?"

"Home for the time being. Just until we figure this out," Thomas answered. He'd gotten in way over his head. Just as he knew he would. Whoever was looking for Jan knew where he lived. By helping her, he'd inadvertently placed himself in danger too. He couldn't go home. The brothers wouldn't let him until they were certain that it was safe. Not only was the compound her home for now, but his as well.

Dane stopped in front of an oak door and swung it open, ushering Jan and Thomas into guest quarters. He didn't like bringing trouble home and giving it room and board. But, he and his brothers were sworn to protect. Not only did they protect humans but, anyone in need of their protection. And she was obviously in need of protection. "Please, make yourselves comfortable," he said. He'd chosen the room right next to the one Thomas stayed in when he visited. Dane sensed the connection between Jan and Thomas. And he hoped keeping the two of them close together would help to ease her anxiety. "If you need anything, just ask. Our home is your home."

Chris, his mate, was always getting on him about smiling. Dane shot Jan a smile he hoped conveyed warmth and understanding. Given Jan's reaction, it probably didn't. She huddled beside Thomas, clinging to him with trembling fingers. Sometimes, it was hard to remember that not everybody paranormal knew about the darker, much bigger world they were a part of. Jan obviously had no clue there were others out there, not quite like her, but yet, not all that different.

"Thanks," Jan said as Thomas lowered her onto the edge of a huge bed. "All this really isn't necessary. I just need a bus ticket and then I'll be out of your hair." She'd been on the run for almost two years. She'd be on the run for most of her adult life, until menopause hit and she was no longer valuable to her mother. It was a long time to run. But, she'd accepted that when she made the decision to do it. Her family would stop at nothing to find her and drag her back. But, it was her mess and her problem. Not Thomas's and certainly not anyone else's.

Dane cut her off with a wave of his hand. Perhaps, explanations would be a better way to handle this and put her more at ease. But, he was anxious to get on the trail of whatever was tracking Jan and had her so terrified. Sure, she was afraid of him. But, he had the feeling it'd take a lot more than a pair of fangs to scare her. Jan didn't frighten easily. "You'll find the bath fully equipped and fresh clothes in the closet. We'll talk once you've settled in and had something to eat."

Jan opened her mouth to argue and then snapped it shut. Dane was in charge here. And he spoke with such an obvious air of authority. He was used to being in charge and getting his way in all things, leaving nothing for debate.

"Thanks, Dane," Thomas said. Once Dane and the others had left, securing the door behind them with the snick of the lock, he inspected Jan's damaged ankle. The cut on her cheek had completely healed and the skin was fresh and fragile pink. Frowning at the swelling in her ankle, which had yet to improve as quickly as he'd expected. He nodded to the bathroom. "Why don't you go take a hot shower and try to relax? I'll go to the kitchen and scout out some food, a few ibuprofen, and an ice pack for you." He sensed Jan's edginess and unease over her situation. Relying on people she didn't know. Being forced to accept their help. And being locked up in a strange place. Obviously, she felt betrayed by her sister and having to trust strangers with her life wasn't easy for her.

"Jan, you can trust these people. They will keep you safe. You can trust me. I'll keep you safe."

"How do you know?" Jan retorted. Shifting her injured ankle from beneath the gentle touch of Thomas's fingers, she forced her body to bear her full weight on the damaged limb. "Why should I trust them? I don't know them. Hell, I barely know you."

"Jan, I trust these people. They saved my life. They're my family."

"Then you should do what's best for them and for yourself and let me go. You don't know what my family is like. They'll stop at nothing to get me back. Nothing. Once they realize that I'm not here. They'll leave." Jan wanted to believe it. Her family was brutal in more ways than one.

They'd hunt her to the ends of the earth. She had been attracted to this place. Drawn to it by the taste of magic so thick in the air. Her mother craved power. She was completely devoted to the wolves she was mistress over. And she hadn't exactly been gentle in her reign. When it came to protecting her people, she was almost as brutal as she was when it came to protecting her daughter. Not Kacie, Kacie was second born and inherited none of the duties and the title awaiting Jan back in Texas.

She'd placed Thomas in danger. This pack of wolves, so strong in their magic, and these people...these...others Thomas referred to as the brotherhood. All of their lives were at stake, thanks to her. Her mother craved power because power was paramount to the survival of her people. She'd brokered Jan off at such a young age to try to secure that power base. There were bigger, badder wolves out there than Eloise Collins. Primarily, the leader of the pack Jan was to marry into in hopes of securing a combined heir and with that heir, a fragile peace.

Her mother would come. And she'd bring her omegas. The omegas were lethal. They followed orders. They'd die to protect her mother. It was what the omegas were genetically engineered through generations of carefully planned breeding to do. Her mother would sense the power and magic of this place. And if she thought it was a better home for her pack than Texas. She'd spill the blood of anyone who got in her way to get it.

"And what about you?" Thomas asked. Bracing his hand on the soft damask coverlet beneath his fingers, he leaned forward, searching Jan's expression for clues to her thoughts. "What happens to you?"

"I go on the run. I won't go back there and I won't come back here."

"Do you want to live like that? Always looking over your shoulder? Never getting close to anyone? Never letting anyone get close to you?"

"It has served me well to this point." Jan crossed her arms over her chest. She was lying. Being emotionally isolated and cut off from the world hadn't been a party. It had been the hardest thing she'd ever done. Thomas had worked his way in, past her barriers and look what it had gotten him and his family, nothing but trouble.

Thomas arched his brows. "Has it? I'm asking you to let me...let us... help you. Your family won't be able to get to you. The brothers won't let them. And before that ever happened, your family would have to get through Nash and his Pack. And that's not going to happen. These people, these strangers would die to protect you."

"They shouldn't have to. Make no mistake, my family will find me. And they will do anything to get me back. If that means storming this place and hauling me out of here by force, they'll do it." Jan shifted her weight on the bed, tilting her chin down to look at Thomas. "I know these people...the brothers are something more than what they pretend to be. But, if you love your family and want to keep their secret safe, you have to let me go.

"You and your family have been caught in the middle of something that is not your problem. This is my mess and I have to deal with it. I'm not willing to risk the lives of strangers in exchange for my own." Jan's eyes begged Thomas to see the truth in what she said. "Thomas, you have to understand. This is how my world works."

"No Jan, you do. Protecting people is what my family does. What they've been trained to do. And they do a very good job of it. Nothing is getting past those doors. And nothing is going to take you out of here unless you want to go. They won't let it. I won't let it. We're all in this now. Not just you. Not just your family. There is no turning back for any of us. You have to stay and see this through."

"So, your family? Vigilantes?"

"No, Jan." Thomas was going to break a cardinal rule and spill the secrets he'd kept bottled up and locked away for so long. Jan was in the thick of the secret. Protected by their lock and released only by their key. "Vampires."

"Vampires," Jan repeated with a nod of her head. Of course, vampires. What the hell, why not? How could she have lived in this small town for a year and not have known? Were her senses that rusty? Or had she just been on the run for so long and so focused on the possibility that she might have to run again that she hadn't caught on? She leaned forward and sniffed the collar of Thomas's shirt. He smelled of fabric softener and male. There was no hint of the paranormal on him. He was perhaps the only being in this entire town telling the complete truth about who he really was. "And how do you fit in? You're human." Jan blew out a breath and waited for Thomas to explain.

Thomas pulled down the ribbed neckline of his sweatshirt and showed her the ornate, indigo tattoo behind his right ear. The mark was small. And he wore his hair just long enough for the fringes to cover the tattoo. "Vampires have to have blood to live. Human blood. They hunt animals to slake the worst of their hunger. But, only human blood will keep them alive. They aren't the bloodsucking fiends you see on TV and in the movies. They don't kill indiscriminately. They rely on human donors for the sustenance they must have to survive."

"You're a donor?" Jan wrung her hands in frustration. Her mind was in overload. The wolves were on her trail and she'd found refuge amongst fantastic creatures she hadn't even known existed.

"After college I moved back here to stay close to my mother. One day I was out rock climbing on the bluffs. Alone. Stupid thing to do really, but I thought I was a good enough climber and I kept my gear in good shape. My line broke and I fell. I landed thirty feet below, broken, bloodied, and barely alive. I was going to die. Instead of dying that day, a vampire found me.

"He could have simply turned and left. After all, I was going to die. It wasn't like I was going to tell anyone about being abandoned. He could have drained me dry and sped up the process of my not so painless death. But, he didn't. Instead he bit his wrist. Trusting me with a secret that he had no way of knowing I'd keep. And with his blood, he healed me. And I've been loyal to the Sons ever since. I do what I can to help out. I didn't deserve his gift and I didn't ask for it. But, he gave it just the same. And because of that, because of him, I'm alive. Unfortunately, as a human and no desire of turning to the other side, there's only one thing that I really have to offer."

"Blood." Jan completed Thomas's sentence. Dazed and dizzied by the dual life he led. And not completely sure she understood it, she asked, "There are others, like you?"

"Yes. A few. Don't ask whom though. That's not my secret to tell." Jan had placed her trust in him and he'd returned the gesture. Trusting her. In both of their cases, trust balanced on a razor's edge. It could be turned and twisted. Manipulated. Or it could be nurtured, held in highest regard and cared for. What happened to the information they shared was up to them.

"No, I won't. I don't want to know." She tried to remember if she'd ever seen those markings on anyone else she'd met. She tried to remember how many people she'd seen in town, casually bumped into and forgot about, who were vampires in disguise. This little town had a big secret and she wondered, how big it was and who else was in on it.

"How about you go take your shower? I'll be back in a few." Thomas left Jan sitting on the edge of the bed staring after him with a puzzled and befuddled look on her face. Confusing mental dialogues ran though his head. Should he have told her? Had he told her too much? Not enough? Could he really trust Jan with his secrets? For the moment, they had no choice but to trust each other. Whatever it was she was in, no matter how bad of trouble. She'd dragged the entire brotherhood and the Pack into the thick of it with her.

Jan hobbled over to the closet and riffled through the clothing hanging on the rack. All of it was new, the price tags still dangling from the assorted array of styles and colors. Someone liked to shop. Someone enjoyed spending money, a lot of it. She mussed at the net worth of the clothing in the closet as she flipped a price tag in her fingers. Not wanting to take advantage and really having no interest in the designer labels, she chose a loose pair of yoga pants and a long sleeved T-shirt. In the dresser she found a new pair of cotton underwear in her size and a pack of white socks.

She unbraided her hair, still damp in the middle from her previous shower. Didn't matter, she was going to wash it again. She needed to clear her head. And perhaps a few minutes to alone under a hot steamy shower was the way to go. Maybe, she could wash away the hurt and chaos in which she found herself thrust into.

Chapter 9

Thomas nodded at Chance. Posted as a guard outside of Jan's door. Chance was a fairly new recruit. Youth and mischief gleamed in his hazel eyes. Clad in black and his walnut hair pulled back in a band at the nape of his neck. Decked out in full gear, armed to the fangs and ready to fight, if needed. He looked like he meant business. Thomas did not let the mask of youth fool him. Although, Chance was as young as he looked, younger than he by almost a decade. Many vampires were much older than their outward exteriors appeared. Once turned, the aging process slowed to a crawl. Appearance meant nothing and was often the vampire's most valuable and dangerous weapon.

1...56789...32