All Comments on 'Dear John'

by SinsiousSiren

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
Poizon69Poizon69over 14 years ago
Well written and nice story.

But also sad and of course this happening right now in the UK and the US. Thanks for the story.

foldedpaperfoldedpaperover 14 years ago
Really nicely written - will read more

Thank you for a delicately, romantically written piece. I enjoyed it a lot, although it is very different from what I normally read here! It is a sad story, and I hope not too autobiographical. It does represent the reality of life for many families and couples on both sides of the Atlantic. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
well written

that was so sad! the tone of it throughout was as though there was a tragedy waiting to happen but that didnt lessen the blow! thanks, and good luck

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Touching

Beautifully touching and wonderfully written. Sad, but so true... thank you.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
maybe if enough men(boys,really)...

...die, women can end this bullshit. Well done.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 14 years ago
Sad...

yet beautifully poignant.

SilvercatseyeSilvercatseyeabout 14 years ago
Well done!

Excellent sense of tempo and build. I enjoyed this greatly.

MacsmistressMacsmistressabout 14 years ago
Wonderful

Yes, war did what the age difference couldn't, but they did get their time together, which is more than most in their situation wouldn't have, due to social pressure.

Excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
beautiful

tht was great. i actually cried at the end it might partially be because im pretty tired but u totally got me i wasnt at all expecting that and was like a watched a really romantic drama.

bigdaddyg123bigdaddyg123over 2 years ago

"Dear John:" - I'm not the word police, but the only flaw that I encountered is the word "taut" which means to pull tight, close tightly or as in "taut" muscles or a "taut" (i.e., tight) rope; the word "taught" (that the writer/author used), is the past tense word for the word "teach." Otherwise the story is very well written. with great dialogue and understandable.

For me, the "romance" and romance aspects of the story--any story--was taken out of the story, when Kristen commented to John when planning their (I believe) first dinner date. She stated "(quote)...'But no worries as far as conception, I took care of that ages ago.' I laughed'...(end)," leaving the reader to believe she had, many years ago, had a hysterectomy!

Based on Kristen's remark of "ages ago" the reader' have no knowledge as to the prior life of Kristen--now young John's widow. Was she previously divorced, married and widowed, or single and vowed she would never marry, or she would never want children? She should have told her new, young suitor, early-on, of her decision pertaining to not having children, especially if she never wanted children

When all aspects of the couple's happy meeting, subsequently falling deeply in love and then marriage prior to his military enlistment, she should have known when she "took care of conception" that her future husband would have an expectation that his new wife would want children. Physical, unalterable birth prevention is a dumb idea that either partner should never take until much later in their child-bearing/inseminating years.

I apologize for my "soap-box" oratory, but this story being in the "Romance" genre was in my wheel-house. Most times true life romance, and love, entail the bearing and rearing children, which is a naturally occurring, biological yearning of all males and females. Romance did not endure in the end. All things considered, I will read other 'SiniuousSiren' stories, especially because of her excellent writing talent!!

dawg997dawg997about 2 years ago

Great story, I didn't see the ending coming. Excellent, easy to read writing.

Dreamdog519Dreamdog519about 2 years ago

I liked the story really sad ending though.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous