All Comments on 'Dear Prudence'

by Harddaysknight

Sort by:
  • 145 Comments
Longhorn__07Longhorn__07over 17 years ago
Nice

A well-constructed, neat little story. Thanks HDK. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
LOL

This is an example of imagination really running wild. Great story ability and enjoyed reading this story and the twist in the end.

Expect more from you.

lwyslv@hotmail.com

leapyearguyleapyearguyover 17 years ago
sick sick sick

I loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
leapyearguy almost had t right ...

he should have said slick slick slick!

I do like sure thing bets! He played those losers like a fiddle.

Fun read, hdk!

Regards, Jack

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryover 17 years ago
Tee Hee

HDK, I don't know anyone else that writes this type of story like you. Even though I had an idea of where you were going by the middle of the story, I loved the ride. You my friend have a wonderful imagination!

CCM

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great Story

I alway love your stories wish we had more writers like you.

Risq_001Risq_001over 17 years ago
You know.........

It wasn't till Dirk entered the room that I got the idea of where you were going with this story.

Very funny tongue in cheek humor here. And a funny read. We needed the humor around here!

-Risq

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
very clever

no wonder your my fave author in this site. such imagination. always interesting.

thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
For the first time, I saw the ending coming early

Maybe I have read too many of your pieces and have begun to know how your mind works, but I realized early on that the Prudence at the party was the wife of the boss. The careful wording of the reply to the remarks about her name was the give-away that something there was crucial, I think.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A Royal screw up in Steve's and Barry's ass....

Oh! That was good so good and down right mean but hey it's a dog eat dog world. May the best man win and Dirk should ditched his own Prudence since she was the real loose slut just after a few drinks (Of course we could only imagine that scenario since she was in THAT room with THAT Steve.)

Real nicely done and funny another one of the good Loving Wives submission without the wives fucked another man and those authors who wrote such stories think they were writing masterpiece. NO SHIT!

gusteufgusteufover 17 years ago
How? How do you do it?

I have often wondered how you can write such engaging and entertaining stories in only 2 pages. Now you are down to only using one.

Thanks for the tale.

Gus

Irish_DomIrish_Domover 17 years ago
Awesome!!

Need I say more?

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Telegraph

It was easy to figure out when he talked to the second guy. And reading the whole thing only to find there was no sex was even more disturbing. And what woman says "...her enhanced breasts"?

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
great story

this should be in the humor section.

enjoyed it very much.

Mike from Texas

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Pretty good!

Very well written and an enjoyable read. I did think that it ended too abrubtly, as if you had someplace to be and just shut the door so to speak. But overall, loved the style and imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
FABULOUS... funny and great

Loved it. It was Just BULLY!!!!!

I am not sure about two woman being named Prudence... his wife at home and the boss's wife both being named Priudence?

oh what the hell.... great story

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
boy what a friend!

with friends like this pimp, you do not need enemies.

you ask him to escort your wife to a party, to protect her as an old friend, because you will be late; and find out he has been making bets who can violate her behind both your backs!

so his enemies are gone now, but i hope Mr. Mumford finds out what happened and kicks his pimping ass out the door too.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
What an ugly story

I barely made it thru paragraph 5 before I gave it up

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
You did it again!

HDK,

I don't know where you come up with these ideas but I hope it's a never ending stream. You are very funny most of the time, and you accuse me of having as warped a sense of humour as you? You sir are the master!

Alvaron53Alvaron53over 17 years ago
Funny story

Funny and well-told. Thanks.

bornagainbornagainover 17 years ago
So magnificent

Oh thats so good and funny having Mike say to steve that she was mikes wife was incredible i cracked up finding out that his wife was never there in the first place.

Pat.

Atlanta,Ga

FireFox59FireFox59over 17 years ago
LMAO!!

Nice job HDK:)!!!

NucleusNucleusover 17 years ago
Falling down from chair

My laughter and the noise of the downfalling has woken up my whole family.

Thank you for this very amusing story. I must read some parts again to understand, because my english is not very well. Now I understand and grin ...

Nucleus

KOLKOREKOLKOREover 17 years ago
For the absence of prudence

Prudence after all means not only the exercise of sound judgment in practical affairs but also foresight. Therefore, for lack of prudence in dealing with Prudence they had to be kicked out ASAP…

Witty funny and surprising as usual.

z00timez00timeover 17 years ago
100

Oh you bad boy. you had a typo. ruinrd the entire story, blahm blah, blah.

Sorry HDK. Just making fun of yhe anal commeters.

GREAT STORY. It's amazing how some writers can tell so much with so little while others just go on and on with nothing said

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I read Boy what a friend and then

I thought he has a point. I thought for a minute or so and changed my mind. It was not Mike's fault that the bosses wife drinks too much and then misbehaves. You are responsible for your own actions. If the Bozo had spiked her drink with Mike's knowledge, he should have been on the firing line. The bosses' wife should know how to control her drinnking and if she gets smashed at every party, the boss needs to know and get her some help.

It must have been a small office with close intermingling for one manager to know the name of another managers wife in such a short time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Oh, hell yes!!!

I love it when a plot comes together. Good stuff! Thank you and keep it coming, please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great job

Keep up the good work. you always seem to have good story lines and reasonable outcomes.

ErotonautErotonautover 17 years ago
Fun twist

Grabbing her breasts doesn't seem too much of a jump at a party, but it came to a decent end before outstaying its welcome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
The point?

Really not funny, kind of clever, but to what end. Should be listed under non-erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
absolutely great!

Nobody does the surprise twists like HDK! I could tell part way through the story that something was up, but unlike some apparently clairvoyant readers I didn't guess it until the end. Beautifully done!

I also re-read it carefully, to see whether HDK perhaps cheated us a little by saying something misleading. There's misdirection, but it's all very carefully done. For example, the hero worries about losing his bet with Tom, but never worries about losing his initial bet (which we understand at the end of the story is a sure thing, since his wife is in another city).

All we can say is, Thanks for another great story--and when is the next one coming?

ohio

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Hats off to you, HDK

As usual, an excellent story - short and to the point. You are simply amazing in most of your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
A whale of a clever tale

HDK,

and as usual, well told. I see the grumpy trogs of the infamous Brotherhood of the Anonymous got their usual licks in but to all who read your stories with anticipation you've done it again. Thank You. Ronnie W.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
Good one!!

Always like your stories and this another good one, great twist.

I began to get the suspicion when he became a little worried about Prudence. Mumfords timing at arriving at the party couldn't have better!

Easy thousand but won't Mumford be mad that he didn't take better care of Prudence??

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
LOL

short and sweet, great job!

BazzzBazzzover 17 years ago
NIce twist

Good job. Patience and brains is what you used to make this story's twist so much fun.

charleybearcharleybearover 17 years ago
You Cagey Old Devil

I liked it. I kind of had you pegged midway through the tale as Mike didn't seem too upset. Great little twist.

It would have been good to get more of the details of what Dirk found and what he did...

But this was sweet.

Charleybear

peggytwittypeggytwittyover 17 years ago
Just too good to say much but what a great read

I am not imaginative, as you had me hook line and sinker.

Thank you again for such fun and entertainment.

PT

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
LOL

imagination at its best!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
How Droll

Truly a droll story! Congratulations.

SimpleTom

zed0zed0about 15 years ago
ROFLMAO

Great story with a nice twist at the end. Loved the hell out of it!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
WOW

That was GREAT never even saw that one coming. THANKS

BallsOfSteelBallsOfSteelover 14 years ago
Prudence = a loving wife

HAR HA HA! Me loved it long time

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Third time

Third time reading this, First time voting, sorry, I love it every time I read it. Very smooth with a great bite at the end. Very well done. Thank you. Jim in AB.

jiminabjiminabover 13 years ago
Just read the comments (and story) again

boy what a friend said:

"you ask him to escort your wife to a party, to protect her as an old friend, because you will be late"

where the hell did that come from?

did anon read the story? All he did was offer to help her with her coat. Escort? Reminds me of my highschool lit days. How much can you read into a Shakesperian play.

ohmyachingbackohmyachingbackover 13 years ago
slick,sick schtick!

This enhanced story sticks out a bit awkwardly in spots, and the punchline doesn't quite slip under the radar, but nevertheless it is a very smooth and engaging read - well done!

fern501fern501about 13 years ago
Prudence

I had a girlfriend named Prudence once and I still have some fond memories of her.

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
Cute

It's a fact...hate em or admire them...players are very successful with women.

I don't like them personally and never have, but they do make great villains!

DWornockDWornockover 12 years ago
That was funny.

I rated it 5*****.

Johnny1MJohnny1Mabout 12 years ago
Deducted means to take away from, past tense.

Deduced means to logically arrive at a conclusion, past tense. The two were confused in this story.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 11 years ago
You just gotta be happy

When an arrogant asshat gets his just reward -

Yes sir - a prudent man checks his facts first and uses clear language - a fool steps on his own dick lol.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
I Liked That

Any chance you get to fuck with the fuckheads and also win money is a good day.The assholes were played like a violin.

HA HA

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Second Read

Just read this a second time after reading it a while ago...something about this story just hits you in the feel good area...what can I say except...I Liked it.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
Loved it

Sweet story. Would have loved to see the guy fired. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
great

Now that is a really clever man. give the jerk enough rope, let him tie the not, ask him to step forward. THANK YOU

jeeter4ujeeter4uabout 11 years ago
Fun

Nice! Only problem for me was Barry leaving the room at the end and then having the phone passed to him. Confusing.

krosis666krosis666over 10 years ago
fun

Even though it was predictable in the extreme after the first few paragraphs, it was still fun.

hebert100hebert100over 10 years ago
good one

if only all jerks could get so screwed. thanks

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
WHEN YOU MAKE A BET

make sure you know the rules and the stakes TK U MLJ LV NV

rick_ohrick_ohover 10 years ago
very good

ANd nice twist at the end.

fanfarefanfarealmost 10 years ago
Old Husband's Tales

circa 1950's: "When you sit down at a Poker table, if you do not know who the mark is. Buddy the mark is you."

circa 1940's: Traveling salesman gets off a train, late at night in a small town. Finds a taxi and as they head for the hotel, he noticed there was no one else out and all the shops were dark. The traveler had slept on the train and was feeling restless. Not eager to be stuck in a hotel room, he leans over and asks the cabbie if there is any action this late at night.

"Well, not really, this town rolls up the sidewalks by ten."

"Come on! There's gotta be something, even here in hicksville."

"Well, I dunno. There usually a crap game going till midnight behind the truck stop. But Hell Mister, it's a rigged game to catch the truck drivers gassing up."

"Lemme drop my suitcase and sampler at the Hotel and then take me over to the game."

"Shit Mister. That game is as crooked as a congressman!"

"Hey, if it's the only game in town, I'm good to play."

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Loved It!

I'd have loved to hear what happened when Dirk walked in on Steve and Prudence!

impo_58impo_58over 9 years ago
Like @KarenE...

Like @KarenE I think the best scene wasn't writen....Good story...

maddictmaddictover 9 years ago
.Dear Prudence

won't you come out and play

ErotFanErotFanabout 9 years ago
He deserved the promotion, but...

Any man who can permanently remove his rival while taking him for 500 bucks and tapping his retiring boss for another 500 AND making his wife happy, deserves the promotion.

Only question is, if he's THAT good at playing the game of life, why does he need a wife that is admittedly "a bit of a slut"???

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 9 years ago
@ErotFan

Is she? A slut that is.

Steve had enough wrong preconceived notions about Mike's wife Prudence that could easily be one more.

Maybe all he heard was that Prudence was a slut.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Some people can't comprehend what they read

Obviously some people have trouble comprehending what they read. The guy asked if his supposed wife was a slut, no one said she was. But then no one said that the boss's wife was a slut either. I thought it was a good story about how some people just go too far, after all who in their right mind actually tries to make someone who dislikes them actually hate them while at the same time giving them a reason to go all nuclear on their ass?

ErotFanErotFanover 8 years ago
@Tw0Cr0ws & @kjohns2001

Sorry to have offended you guys.

Perhaps I should have put smiley faces on what was to be a light hearted comment.

So here. :o) ^_^ d8^D etc., and so forth.

Hey kjohns2001. Are there any authors and stories you HAVEN'T favorited.

:o) ^_^ d8^D etc., and so forth.

Tootight1Tootight1over 8 years ago
great story

the set up was fantastic. this took some planning, and understanding.

mambrkemambrkeover 8 years ago
love it

You have to love this story, I sure do! A lot!

RobsoundRobsoundabout 8 years ago
Dear Prudence

I didn't see that one coming 😃 !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Oh! I Love It! I Love It!

I honestly never saw this coming. I hope Steve gets to drink his meals through a straw for a few weeks and his sidekick Barry gets transferred to Cleveland. I got a great laugh from this one.

dissmissdissmissabout 8 years ago
ok.... you caught me on this one

Did'nt see that coming. ... great little story.

thebug37thebug37about 8 years ago
Ah Prudence

What a delight that girl Prudence, do be. Okay, you get my five-hundred, oops, it's only five. Loved your getting this together like you did with the big boss.

tazz317tazz317about 8 years ago
YOU MAY NOT KNOW HOW MUCH YOU WIN ON A BET

but you should know the name of the horses. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Funny

Best twist ever.

CharliegutzacheCharliegutzachealmost 8 years ago
holy shit

that was one fucked up bet, I'm so happy that Mike won the bet, an hopefully that Mike's wife isn't too upset with hubby, it seems to me that the author cut this story a little too short, I would like able to read all of the details of what happend, such as what did Mr Mumford do to Steve, is he in jail or the hospital, was Stevie-boy just groping her tits or buried balls deep inside her, did Mike collect on his bet with the soon to be retired manager, did he tell his wife about the 2nd bet, what will he do with money he won, buy sum thing for the wife, or just give her the cash, so in the future can u please make sure u tie up all of the lose ends, other than that it gave me a shit-eating grin when we found at that Stevie-boy was fooling around with the new bosses wife, an not Mike's wife, I just hope that bosses wife isn't in too much trouble.

TheKrrakTheKrrakover 7 years ago
Telegraphed...

... but still funny as all hell.

5/5 (even for being obvious - it was still fun)

FD45FD45over 7 years ago
Well

The wife got at least $500 of the bet

boatbummboatbummover 7 years ago
Saw That One Coming....

You played that one nicely, but I agree with Charliegutzache ... would be nice to tidy up all those loose threads!

Five stars for the laughs! Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Fun story

Great twist at the end - loved the story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Uh-ohhhh Once A Marine, Always A Marine

Slick-Stick Steve is Sunk.

Nicely set up. 4 stars and an Emergency First Aid Kit.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Better

Would have been better with some info on the discovery and fall out.

York1234York1234almost 6 years ago
Brilliant

..as I said....brilliant and funny

cub4acougarcub4acougaralmost 6 years ago
5*

lmfao

great story !!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Outstanding...

...you got me, great story. Would have liked to read what happened when the boss walked in on them. 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
How

How could he lose the bet with Barry,it isn't his wife,so Barry automatically loses.Also why wasn't Mike's wife at the party?.

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
That was good

Good story. I didn't see it until he started talking about the boss.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years ago
Sweet Prudence

Didn't see that coming, as Steve, Barry and the soon to be ex-Mrs Mumford were also caught out. Great little flash!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
author went to far to mislead

"By ten o'clock, I began to have doubts. Prudence and Steve were dancing every slow dance. She was showing signs of being under the influence of the alcohol she had consumed, as well as Steve's line of bullshit. Mumford was no where to be seen and more than a few of the party-goers were beginning to mutter. It's so hard to kiss an ass that can't be found.

I lost sight of Prudence around 10:30 and really started to worry. It could turn out to be a very expensive night for me. I'd have to give Tom a check to cover the bet with him."

With his wife not there, there was no way that Mike could do worse than break even on his bets. Breaking even is not "a very expensive night" nor would it result in Mike having to give Tom a check. Suggesting that was wrong and misleading.

Hooked1957Hooked1957about 4 years ago
You get it

Well done. Always something good to read when I go to your catalogue.

Hooked

johsunjohsunabout 4 years ago

Too sweet, I was rooting for something like that. Wouldn't mind a blow by blow description of the encounter between Mumford and Steve.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 4 years ago
Oh Yeah!

Your story certainly put a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing.

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago
Again

One of the funniest things that I have read in LW.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Somehow

I knew it was going to be the boss wife.

BigJim48BigJim48about 4 years ago
The Tale of 2 Prudence

I love it when karma bites an asshole. I loved how you developed the story. The ending was GREAT!

AlericAlericalmost 4 years ago
Nice!

His own stupidity did him in.

DFWBeastDFWBeastover 3 years ago

Always a fun read! Love the quick pacing and sense of humor. Please sir, can we have some more? LOL

Killian

jimjam69jimjam69over 3 years ago

That's a really nasty get even job tho the guy is a jerk. Just what a loudmouth deserves.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

What is to stop Steve and Barry from telling Dirk that Mike used Prudence as an unknowing honey trap? Mike stood by and watched her plied with alcohol and hit on all night. Yeah, she could shut it down at any time but she WAS used as a sexual pawn in a stupid game. Most husbands are pretty protective of their wives. Dirk is going to promote Mike after that? Seems like a pretty giant plot hole to me. Honestly, Mike deserves to have his ass kicked right along with Steve.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHarddaysknight@Harddaysknight
I enjoy comments and seldom delete them. Writing is a pleasure for me. Reading comments, even negative comments, is a perverse pleasure. I thank Lit for providing a free forum to showcase my vast talent. Writing is recreation and fun for me. I am simply making shit up as I g...