Desire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Blayne's messing with the time, Amaclaty thought. The notion was absurd, but with everything else she had seen, she could almost believe it.

"Cessum! Cessum!" Blayne called. So the clan sank down beneath the ground, back into the network of tunnels, leaving behind the dead and dying as the sirens began to scream in the light of the blood red dawn.

- - -

The local news channel covered the story first the next day. Just as Blayne had planned, the reporters' suspicions were off base, but not entirely.

"... and witnesses to the tragedy claim to have seen vampires attacking the fleeing people," the reporter said, the tone in her voice barely covering the laugh. She clearly thought the whole idea of vampires was absurd. "Local authorities have cast suspicion on the gang that calls themselves the Vampyres, but as of now no arrests have been made..."

Meanwhile, the clan was planning their next moves.

For over a fortnight they did nothing. They had collected enough blood to last them a year at least, and most of them agreed it was best to lie low and not risk discovery. So for two weeks they waited, staying beneath the ground, ready for whatever Blayne told them to do.

He began the silent siege on Halloween. Sending vampires in small groups, they began to pick of trick-or-treaters one by one. They were presumed new victims of the Vampyres, and panic began to seep into the hearts of the town's residents as the attacks continued into November. As more and more people were killed, the faith of the blue church began to dissolve. Already the power of the deteriorating beliefs was being transferred to the clan. They could Flicker farther, and they were stronger. But still the faith held dominance over them. They were tied to the night, unable to venture out when the sun showed her face. Only by destroying the faith completely could the vampires rule.

A mantra had started among the congregation. It was nearly perpetual. Whoever joined the church sang along, and the vast space behind the stained glass never seemed empty.

Amaclaty was beginning to think that Blayne had given up the attack when he announced the final attack that bring the town to darkness and banish the faith for good.

"As soon as dusk tomorrow, we will destroy the final faith that remains!" he declared to a cheering crowd. His voice echoed around her and Amaclaty anted nothing more than to kiss him. It was a desire so strong that her pulse sped up and her mouth watered at the very thought.

"In two hours, gather here. Weep and grieve no more, for finally will prevail. Laurus!"

"Laurus!" they cried, and as one the clan Flickered away to prepare.

- - -

The clan reassembled, awaiting Blayne's orders. As she scanned the crowd she saw the grim determination written in every expression. They had awaited this moment for such a long time that all they could think of was breaking the faith. The task was engraved in their hearts and set firmly in their minds. They stood silently, waiting for Blayne to speak.

"When we Flicker up tonight, Flicker into the stained glass windows. You will appear on the outside of the church, but the force you apply will allow us to enter. The mortals will flee; do not let them live. Do not even take time to drink from them; instead, kill them quickly. That alone shall take any faith remaining."

With these words, a cheer went up among the clan.

"Go!" Blayne shouted, and the entire clan Flickered straight into the many stained glass windows of the church.

The result was terribly powerful. Just as Blayne had known they would, each and every window imploded. Shards of colored glass launched themselves at the congregation as the vampires appeared where the glass had been, suspended in midair by swirling unearthly winds. The people in the church were screaming, running from the building, all belief and faith abandoned. The clan was at their throats immediately. Amaclaty tore into the neck of the nearest mortals.

Several of the mortals had taken up the anthem from before. "Cruorem nuntius will save us! Cruorem nuntius will release us!"

Cruorem nuntius alone will save the clan.

Anality's warning came back to her. But it didn't make sense. How could the same thing the mortals believed would save them save the vampires too?

"What are they saying?" she called to no one in particular.

Sarkis appeared beside her. "'The blood of the messiah,'" she quoted. She laughed darkly. "They think Jesus Christ will somehow descend and deliver them from us, the demons from hell. But let us hope He doesn't. The actual blood of Christ would be a very bad thing to encounter." With that she went back to the battlefield. Amaclaty mimicked her, Flickering behind a dark-haired girl and sinking her fangs into her throat. But there was something wrong with the blood she tasted, something almost bitter.

Amaclaty turned the girl around and gasped in horror. Karæa looked up at her pleadingly as she drew her final shuddering breath.

The Mársabis released her grip and backed away, horrified. She looked around and saw that every mortal lay dead or dying, yet the attack continued. The clan was feeding upon itself and no one seemed to notice. Vampires ripped fiercely into each other's throats, letting the blood of their clan mates play across their tongues.

Darkness indeed reigned. The clan had grown so powerful that their lust for power was unmistakable. They no longer cared who they killed. Suddenly Amaclaty was sure of what she had to do. She turned and ran to the nearest church door and pulled its handle. The heavy door swung open and she stepped into the church. As soon as she crossed the threshold the building shifted. She knew she had no time to spare.

Ignoring the crunch of broken glass beneath her feet, Amaclaty threw herself into a kneel at the foot of the crucifix hanging behind the altar. Latin flowed freely from her mouth and she stared up at the statue. A single drop of blood rolled down the plaster cheek of the icon and fell into Amaclaty's open mouth.

The pain came first. Unbearable, burning, tearing pain that surged through her veins and set her nerves alight. Her scream pierced the night, stopping the remaining vampires in their tracks. The church began to crumble around her. The rafters cracked, the alter split itself in two, and the bell tower fell, sending the bell to the ground with a clang loud enough to drown out Amaclaty's screech. The vampires that remained dropped to their knees, their breath failing them as they simply dissolved into nothing, leaving no trace of themselves except the dead and dying.

As the church collapsed completely, burying Amaclaty beneath it, her final thoughts were clear. She truly was the second savior.

She had won.

Smiling, she rushed into Anality's open arms.