Dirty Old Town

Story Info
Healing a wounded soul on someone else's holiday...
13.6k words
4.72
35.8k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ah but when I hear the laughter
'Round a jangling country fair
Or hear a pennywhistler
In a merry market square
In a field of twilight children
Her face is laughing up at me
And then she ain't nothing but time

-Tony Bird, "Nothing But Time"

Eddie was hard at work on the latest brief for the factory management when the whistle blew down the street. He looked up at Mr. Croft and grinned.

"Go ahead," the older man said. "But I don't need to tell you, you've got to keep your mouth shut about that brief. She's union and you're management, you'd best not forget that, Edward."

"You know whose side I'm on, Mr. Croft," Eddie said with a grin as he pulled his suit coat, despite the summer heat. The Dawes men always appeared presentable in public, at least in Maxon Cove, and rules were rules. "We only need to indulge those silly little girls until November anyway. Once Dewey beats Truman, the unions'll crumble like a house of cards."

"That 'silly little girl' is three years older than you, Eddie," Mr. Croft reminded him. "And she's got a good five years in the factory. Your private life is your business, but if I ever find you've let it compromise anything..."

"You won't, you know that!" Eddie protested, choosing not to correct his boss' error. Therèse was four years older than he. That was just enough for him to remember her hanging around the village green back when his father would bring him into town on his business jaunts in the summertime, a listless teenage girl lolling about with her girlfriends, sassing the factory workers on their lunchbreak back when they were all male, back when girls were icky and all he cared about was baseball. "Besides, she's older, but I'm the man and I go to Harvard! She knows who's boss."

"Just don't underestimate a woman's ability to manipulate you, Eddie," Mr. Croft warned. "They're irrational and emotional, but they're clever."

"Tell me somethin' I don't know!" Eddie quipped. "That's why I'm here for the summer, isn't it?"

"That's right, Eddie, you're here to learn. Not to spite your mother and father by fooling around with the enemy behind their backs."

"Oh, they'd love Therèse if they gave her half a chance!" A lie and both men knew it, but Eddie didn't care. And after perching his hat at the perfect cocky angle, off he pranced into the July sun to wait discreetly for his forbidden love.

He didn't begrudge Mr. Croft his paranoia about Therèse at all; with the unionization battle heating up by the day, it was the old folks' job to be worried about her ability to sway the other girls her way with her flirtatious yet serious manner, and it certainly wouldn't do for the son of the town's bluest-blooded family to be caught with her. That they hadn't been caught all summer wasn't the miracle it appeared to be, so much as it was a matter of most of the folks who were neither management nor union having no desire to get involved. Or maybe they just didn't care. Or both. Mr. Croft was the only guy among Eddie's old man's social circle who knew about Therèse. But Eddie could trust Mr. Croft, for there were certain accounting practices of his that he also preferred to keep secret from Eddie's parents.

Old Man Blanchette had kept the girls on at the factory after the war ended. He could pay them less, after all, and he'd figured -- correctly -- that the boys who came back alive wouldn't be willing to settle back in Maxon Cove, New Hampshire anyway. Not after they'd seen the world, no matter how ugly the side of it they'd seen. There'd been a bit of grumbling at first about the girls not giving the boys back what was rightfully theirs, but three years later no one was complaining anymore. Seeing the young women strutting off to work in the morning was just another part of life in their village, like the bonfire in October and the White Mountain gales in winter and the mix of French and English spoken in the streets. For plenty of the young men of Maxon Cove, the site of the factory girls looking proud and determined in their work clothes had come to be quite a pleasure.

Eddie Dawes was one such young man -- just twenty and just home from Harvard for the summer -- but he was from one of the oldest families in Maxon Cove. His ancestors had been in town for over a century by the time the Quebecois had come down after the Civil War looking for work, and from Eddie's great grandparents down to his father, they had never forgiven the Canucks for invading their once-serene country roads. For decades that animosity had only simmered, but of late it had come to a nearly-violent boil due to calls for unionization among the factory girls.

That, coupled with the fact that she was a scandalous four years his senior, was why Eddie had kept his beloved Therèse Lanier a carefully guarded secret from his parents. Borne of a long line of troublemakers, she had barely made it through high school and, if not for the war and the labor shortage, would likely have joined her father and brothers among those the factory wouldn't touch due to their drunk and lazy reputation. But to the management's surprise, she had proven herself to be a more than capable worker; and to their chagrin, an even more capable labor organizer. The unionization battle had made her perhaps the most controversial citizen of Maxon Cove -- and it had also made her all the more irresistible to Eddie, who shared his father's politics but not his snobbery. For nearly two months now, they had never missed a chance to bridge their class and political divides in the sweetest way.

Most of the young women who poured through the factory gates at lunchtime were lovely in one way or another - at least Eddie thought so - but Therèse and her defiant smile stood out against the crowd every time. Never more than on that day, when he spotted the twinkle in her eye almost before he could be sure it was her among the throng of her colleagues.

But it was her, flanked as usual by her old school chums Maggie and Celine, the only ones in town who knew -- officially, at least -- where Therèse disappeared to every day at lunch. Her palpable cheer was contagious, and despite a rough morning at Croft's office, Eddie found himself grinning back at her as she made her way across the street. Of course their lunchtime trysts were always a reason to be cheerful.

The protocol never varied. As soon as he spotted her in the crowd, Eddie slipped into the stairway that led up to the tiny apartment Mr. Croft pretended not to know they used almost every day. At first he'd made a point of looking around to see if anyone noticed, but they had both realized early on that it only drew attention they otherwise wouldn't get. Eddie glowed behind his golden-boy exterior as he made his way up the dark, narrow steps, knowing the town villain had her hungry eyes on his back.

Therèse let herself into the Spartan but clean little room moments after Eddie as usual, and once again found him standing in the noonday sunbeam with that expectant grin on his face. "So what was the warning today?" she asked as she locked the door and threw herself into his arms.

"Older and management this time," Eddie said, returning the embrace. "I think he's retired the naughty-girl stuff. He must have guessed that would only encourage me more!"

"Very funny!" She gave him a chuck on the arm as she pulled back, then leaned in again for a kiss. It was but a quick one, then she grabbed him by the hand and whispered, "Come on, have a seat on the bed. I have big news!"

Eddie felt a stab of panic in his heart. Hadn't it only been three weeks since the last time she wouldn't let him touch her for a week? Or was it five? But she looked too happy for it to be that, he reasoned as he sat down beside her and tried to keep a brave face. Smiling through his panic, he ventured a guess: "You talked Maggie into joining us tomorrow?"

"Always such a dirty mind!" Therèse said, punching him on the arm. Then she drew a deep breath and continued, "Heavens, it was a dreadful morning! Monsieur Blanchette was absolutely on a tear, even threatened to fire us all if he heard one more word about organizing! But I hear he's taking the afternoon off, so there'll be some peace then."

"And some organizing, no doubt," Eddie grumbled in his usual disapproving tone.

"And some organizing," Therèse agreed defiantly. Then she pulled back and gave him that look that she knew would melt him. "Eddie, why do you think it's such a bad thing if we girls want better pay and better conditions?"

"I don't," Eddie said. "But you get so greedy sometimes! You already have these great jobs that -- and I'm sorry, but they're really meant for men -- and you make enough money to help out at home, don't you?"

"You're lucky you're so magical in the sack, you know that?" Therèse replied. "I just hope you learn someday."

"What's it to you if I do or I don't?" Eddie asked. "We both agreed back in May, I'm not coming back here after Harvard."

"That, my dear, is the big news!" Therèse declared, throwing her arms around him and losing no time in unbuttoning his pants. "Get your shoes off, we've got so little time. You know the drill!"

"What big news?" Eddie stood up and did as he was told, despite the mild annoyance that always arose when politics were on tap. "I thought it was Blanchette being gone for the day."

"Much bigger than that! Didn't you wonder why Maggie and Celine and I all looked so happy after such a horrible morning?" Therèse got up as well and quite eagerly helped him undress.

"I just figured you were happy to see me." Eddie had his coat off and his pants down around his ankles by then, and he was caressing Therèse's breasts while she unbuttoned his shirt. As usual, they would leave her dress on to save time.

"Imagine my surprise, you thinking that was all!"

"Then what is it?"

Therèse pushed his open shirt off over his shoulders, and gave his hard cock a playful squeeze through his underwear. "Get back on the bed," she said, reaching under her skirt. "It's time to celebrate!"

"Celebrate what?"

Therèse had her panties down around her ankles; gracefully she kicked them off and they bounced off the closet door. "Maggie heard from an uncle of hers out in San Francisco," she said, climbing onto Eddie's lap and rubbing his hard cock against her thighs and pussy. "He's got a friend who just started an insurance company out there, and they need girls to work the typing pool. Maggie wrote and asked him if she and Celine and I could come out and work for him, and she heard back from him yesterday. He said yes! We'll be out of the factory and out of Maxon Cove! Forever!"

Eddie's heart sank, and he clamped his hands over both of hers and pulled them both up to his chest. "Then you're leaving," he said, feeling himself get soft despite the enviable squeeze of her thighs. "Gee, Therèse, I knew this couldn't last forever, but I thought at least we'd have the summer."

"Oh, Eddie, don't be silly!" Therèse wriggled both her hands out of his and once again stroked his cock back to attention; against his judgment, of course he got hard despite the lousy news. "I want you to come out there too, of course!"

"But I've got to finish college, haven't I?"

"Of course you do, Eddie. I'd insist on that."

"Who are you to insist on anything?"

"It's a wife's privilege, isn't it?"

"But you're not my wife!"

"That was a hint, Eddie. I've asked you to come out to California once you're done at Harvard, now isn't there something you'd like to ask me?"

"Oh, Therèse..."

"Don't just sit there, Eddie. Come to think of it, don't sit at all for this." She gave him one last tickle, causing a yelp of pleasure despite the serious occasion, and she stood up and pointed at the floor.

"For heaven's sake, Therèse..."

"Time's wasting! And if you'd rather not ask, maybe we should say goodbye now, hmm?"

Eddie did get down on one knee, but he still wore all his doubts on his face.

"Fine, then," Therèse said. "If you need to be reminded of what you'll get in return..." She gathered up her skirt in both hands and gave Eddie a long, shameless look at her bush. "It's yours for the rest of your life, Eddie, if you'd just ask me already!"

"All right, all right!" Eddie relented, drinking in the beautiful sight. "Therèse Lanier. Will you marry me?"

"Oui, petit Eduard chéri!" she squealed, taking his hand and pulling him back to his feet. Then she threw her arms around him and rubbed his back as she resumed her planning out loud. "We're leaving in the middle of the night sometime next week -- we haven't decided when exactly, but Monsieur Blanchette won't know about it and neither will my papa -- it'll break Mama's heart, but there's no other way -- and then you go back to Harvard and I'll write you as soon as I have an address, and once you graduate, you come on out and I'll have a place all set for us by then!"

"Why don't we get married before you leave town?" Eddie suggested. "It'll be all the more permanent that way."

"I thought of that, Eddie, but I want you to finish your degree."

"I'd still go back to Boston!"

Therèse shook her head. "No, you wouldn't, because your parents would disown you." Eddie opened his mouth to reply, but Therèse put her finger to his lips. "Don't say we'd keep it our secret! You know that never works in this town!"

"We've kept our lunchbreaks a secret, haven't we?" Eddie asked with a grin.

Therèse replied only with a shy, guilty-looking smile.

"You've been telling people?!" Eddie panicked

"No, I haven't told anyone. But some of the girls figured it out for themselves. Don't worry, Eddie, your parents will never hear it from them. They'd never give any factory girl the time of day, never mind listen to anything she has to say."

Eddie nodded. "You're too right. Christ, they embarrass me sometimes."

Therèse took his face in both her hands. "One more summer, a couple of school breaks, and you never need to see them again. We can both be someone else entirely out in California, can't we?" A chance look at the clock on the wall reminded her of what really mattered at the moment. "Oh, heavens, Eddie, we've wasted nearly half the break!"

"I wouldn't call it wasted! We got engaged, didn't we?"

"Yes, well, Eddie," Therèse grinned and pulled her skirt up again. "If ever there were a day we ought to use this break the way we usually do..."

Eddie knew his cue. One hand caressing her neck, the other in her bush, and he kissed her hard. Not the most romantic way to go about it, but the most efficient way to get her aroused quickly. They had it down to a science. As she rubbed his back and tittered through their kisses at the sensation of his rubbing on her neck, he could feel her getting wet in no time. As soon as he was able to slide his finger inside, he backed off and lay down, and she climbed on top and enveloped him. Leaning down for a triumphant kiss, she whispered, "You feel twice as good inside me now that it's forever!"

"Couldn't agree more," Eddie sighed as he lay back and enjoyed the sight and feel of her rocking back and forth. As always, he wished there were time for her to undress; but now he knew there would be soon enough. "Promise me..." he said in a husky whisper as she worked them both up to a wonderful climax.

"Promise you what?!" she said between her usual intense moans.

"When we get married, you'll never keep your clothes on again when we do this!"

"Never, we'll have all the time we want then!"

"Can't wait to touch you everywhere then!"

"You could still play with these, you know!" Therèse grabbed up both his hands and placed them on her breasts. "Don't be lazy already!" Though he was sure it was a pale imitation of the joy of caressing naked breasts, Eddie complied as usual with his playful squeezes on her clothed ones.

"Just imagine falling asleep tangled up together every night!" Eddie closed his eyes and dove into his vision of the future, while Therèse worked his present into an orgasm. When it came, he sat up as far as he could with a yelp, while Therèse bore down harder and faster and promptly followed him off the deep end.

There was no time for any afterglow, but she did lean down and give him a triumphant kiss before she stood up. "I'll imagine it all right," she whispered. "I know it'll be worth the wait, and so do you!"

"You can say that again," Eddie said as he curled up on the bed and watched Therèse pull her panties back on.

"Everything in place?" She twirled around to make sure her skirt wasn't tucked in. It wasn't.

"Perfect," Eddie said. He stood up and gave her a squeeze and a kiss goodbye. "I love you, Therèse," he said. "It'll be a long two years."

"It'll be two years for me to get settled out there," she said. "Everything will be nice and stable when you arrive. And in the meantime..." She pulled back and grinned at him.

"In the meantime what?"

"No fighting over politics if I get a nice unionized job," she teased. "I'm sure you won't complain about the higher pay and benefits, too."

Eddie laughed through his irritation. "Or maybe you'll grow up in those two years and see the light."

"I could say the same to you, my darling!"

"Or better yet, once we get married, you'll let me wear the pants like it's supposed to be anyway. Then there won't be any need to worry about your pay."

"You are lucky I already love you, Edward Dawes." She opened the door. "Á demain, mon amour!"

"Same time tomorrow." He watched as she shut the door, and then gathered up his clothes to get dressed. Though his heart was flying, those politics of hers still stung. The sense of sleeping with the enemy had only endeared her to him up to now. But if they were going to spend their lives together, she'd have to get over these silly ideas about women being treated just like men. But maybe a few years on her own out West would straighten all that out in her mind.

From just inside the window as he buttoned his shirt up, Eddie watched as his bride-to-be crossed the street and rejoined her friends outside the gate. In his imagination, they emerged into the street hand in hand for the first time, drawing the attention of several other girls returning from lunch. There was much giggling and a bit of pointing, but no one commented on the matter. He knew they were all afraid to cross Therèse, and rightly so. Nevertheless, the attention made him feel as shy as he was proud. But not too shy to throw his arms around her and kiss her on the mouth as they lingered by the factory wall. They nearly blended in with the other half-dozen or so couples who had also enjoyed a stolen tryst somewhere in the neighborhood.

He snapped back to reality when he saw Maggie and Celine burst into whoops of joy across the street. Obviously she had told them. "I love you, Therèse," he said under his breath as he settled for the reality of watching the happy occasion from afar.

There was just enough time for a jaunt around the village green before he was due back at Mr. Croft's. Eddie decided that was absolutely necessary; he was simply too elated to concentrate and he'd have no luck in hiding it from the boss. Croft's creative accounting wouldn't keep this from Mother and Father!

As he stepped down into the street, Eddie realized all too quickly that it would be a struggle to keep it from anyone. There was no chance of hiding the broad smile that seemed branded to his face, even if he could resist a look back at the girls filing back through the gates, which he couldn't.

"Still get that wound up about the ladies, do you, Eddie?" asked Jimmy Tompkins as they passed on the sidewalk.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, of course!" Eddie said. Jimmy certainly didn't need to know.

"Yeah, me too, even if they ought to be back in the kitchen," Jimmy quipped.