Don't Diss the Chef

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That made sense to Sarah. Now all she had to do was summon the courage to make a call to the chef. It was time for her to throw down the gauntlet to protect her man, even if he would never know.

"No, no — I'm'a sorry lady, but'a d' chef he is really no here right'a now. I'm'a criss-a-cross my'a heart!' Tony explained.

"Well he can't be gone all of the time. He is stealing the recipes that he is using from my boyfriend, and I will not let him get away with it. I'll write a letter to the newspaper. I'll get in touch with the television stations. I'll go to the State Department of Consumer Affairs!" Sarah threatened.

Tony blinked, "d' Departmento of'a Consumer Affairs?"

"Yes. I'll charge Veni Vidi with food fraud!"

There was a long silent pause at the other end of the phone, as Tony silently prayed for patience.

"OK'a lady, I talk'a to d' boss'a when he get in and letta 'im know what'a you say. Here, lemme get'a d' piece a paper and I take'a you phone number..."

A couple of hours later, Tony was repeating the conversation to Mark.

"The Department of Consumer Affairs? She wants to charge us with food fraud? I don't think that they care about someone stealing a recipe," Mark observed.

Tony nodded in agreement, "They are'a never'a showin' up'a d' restaurants where'a I'm'a workin'. Public Health, si, but not'a Consumer Affair'a peoples."

"Not to mention that I could hardly steal my own recipes. I think this is some sort of karma thing — I must have done a lot of really stupid things in a previous life that I'm paying for now," Mark said, sighing.

"OK, Tony. Call Sarah back and tell her to come out here Monday for lunch. I'll meet with her and straighten this whole thing out."

"But'a boss!"

"Yeah, I know Tony — it's Valentine's Day. But we aren't open for lunch on Monday, and the staff won't be coming in until 2:00 to prepare for our special Valentine's dinner. That should give me a little time alone with her."

"You know'a, boss, I'm'a thinkin' she'sa still in'a love wit' you," Tony interjected, because as a man, as a lover, and as an Italian, he was a big believer in the power of love!

"I'm still in love with her too, Tony. But she was never able to respect what I do, and I can't face living a life together with someone who doesn't understand and support my art," and saying that, Mark shrugged his shoulders and turned to go back to the kitchen.

~*~*~*~

After overhearing Tony and Mark talking about Mark's taste for Botticelli's model, Simonette Vespucci, Luci first spent some time looking at the reproduction of 'The Birth of Venus' in the dining room; then she acquired a book that also contained a copy of the famous painting. If a Simonette was what Mark wanted, then a Simonette was what she would give him.

From one of the workers in the kitchen, Luci had also learned that Mark was coming in early on Monday, when no one else would be around the restaurant.

It was her chance, her opportunity to ambush Mark.

Over the weekend Luci's hairdresser spent hours and hours getting Luci's hair just the right shade of red. And that meant coloring her 'landing strip' as well. Luci already had blue-gray eyes, so that wasn't a problem. But there was no way that Luci, who had always prided herself on her complete tan, as in 'no pale areas from bathing suits' and the like, could manage to get her complexion to mimic the very pale ivory color of Venus in the painting. She would just have to make do.

Luci's highest hurdle to overcome was finding extensions for her hair that were the right color, and long enough. In the painting, Simonette's hair was so long it extended below her butt, for heavens sake! They promised her at the salon that they would have them by Monday morning, and she would just have to hope that they could come through for her.

Sarah wasn't happy at being put off until Monday, but it was what she could get. She would meet with this Chef d'Fiorenze and give him a piece of her mind. Maybe she hadn't supported Mark the way she should have before when they were together, but she was going to stand up for him now, when he wasn't there to defend himself.

For both women, it was a long slow weekend, as they waited for their respective plans to come to fruition.

Mark worked at Veni Vidi the whole weekend, and didn't have a moment to spare thinking about either woman.

On Monday morning, Luci was at the hairdresser by 10:00 getting her extensions put on, and having a few last minute touch ups done to match her hair and the extensions. By 11:00, she was getting in her car to drive from her West Side luxury condo up to Malibu, to Veni Vidi. She estimated about a 45-minute drive, given traffic conditions.

Sarah, on the other hand, had gone to work in the morning, but had claimed to have a doctor's appointment. She figured that if she left work at 11:30, she could make it up the coast to the pier in Malibu in about a half-an-hour. That would be perfect to make sure that she was on time for her appointment to see Chef d'Fiorenze.

Mark had slept in late for once, after working both days of the weekend. Normally Veni Vidi was closed on Mondays, but because this was Valentine's Day, they had a special 'by invitation only' dinner planned.

Mark was excited about the dinner that night, for it was not about the VIPs, the big-money people, or the entertainment industry mavens. Tonight's dinner was for the people who had supported Mark's efforts and appreciated his cooking for years, and who had loyally followed him from restaurant to restaurant. The people invited tonight were patrons of Trattoria Veni Vidi today, but had eaten Marks cooking at the Bistro Parisian before that.

Some had been his customers, co-workers and friends from the three other eateries in L.A. where he'd worked before Bistro. Heck, there was a customer who was coming who'd first met Mark when he was working as a baker in France, and another from his short time working as the dessert chef in a famous hotel in Monaco.

This was his chance to pay them back a little, by sharing his now more developed and mature cuisine.

Tonight, these were his guests. They weren't paying money tonight, but they were paying homage to a wonderful cook, and he was saying to all of them, "Thank you, my friends."

As much as Mark was looking forward to the dinner, he had to take care of a few business matters first, including dealing with his ex-girlfriend Sarah. Sarah — who still came to him in his dreams, and who tore his heart apart when he awoke, only to find the bed empty next to him. Sarah, who was his love, but with whom he could no longer live.

So it was that by 11:30 Monday, the morning of Valentine's Day, Mark parked in his space on the pier, unlocked and entered Veni Vidi's door, leaving it unlocked behind him.

By 11:45, Mark was already completely involved in reviewing purchase orders for ingredients, looking over time cards, and checking the feedback from customers on their comment cards.

So intent was he that he never heard as Luci entered into the dining room at Veni Vidi, and it was only when she poked her head into the kitchen area and spoke to him that he was aware of her presence.

"Oh Mark?" Luci called, trying to sound as sweet and enticing as she could. "Do you have a minute? I'd like to talk to you."

A little irritated, Mark looked at his watch.

"Yeah, Luci. Come on in."

Her voice came back, sounding a little breathless, "Could we talk out in the dining area?"

The distracted chef swore under his breath, but she was his business partner after all.

"Sure," he called out, "Just give me a minute to finish what I'm working on here and I'll be right out."

"OK Mark. I'll wait out here," Luci answered. The timing would be perfect.

So while she was waiting for Mark, Luci stripped down completely, folding her clothes and placing them on one of the tables. Then she walked over to stand in front of the painting of Venus by Botticelli. She posed just like Simonette was posed in the painting, and waited for Mark to come into the dining area and discover her. How could he resist!

Sarah had arrived just on time, although she had to park a little further away than either Mark or Luci, so she was a couple of minutes behind Luci. Long enough that she didn't see Luci enter the restaurant before her.

She walked up to the restaurant door, and even though the sign said 'CLOSED', it opened when she pulled on the handle. She entered into the dark building, first into the little foyer, and passing through that into the dining area where she expected to find Chef d'Fiorenze.

A couple more steps into the dining room, and then,

Sarah froze in place, as her eyes came into contact with...

A woman, standing there completely nude!

Sarah, shocked, raised her hand to her mouth, unable to make a sound. Luci, on the other hand, saw Sarah walk into the room and,

SCREAMED!!

"AHHHHHH, WHO ARE YOU? WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

Luci's screams had broken Sarah's paralysis, so that she too was screaming.

"AHHHHHH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? YOU'RE NAKED!"

"THIS IS MY RESTAURANT! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY RESTAURANT?"

"I"M SUPPOSED TO BE MEETING THE CHEF HERE, NOT SOME CRAZY NAKED WOMAN!"

This little and remarkably uncivil exchange might have gone on for some time, except that Mark, having heard the sounds of two clearly deranged women, hurried out from the kitchen into the dining room.

He looked across the room from one to the other and then back again, before he too shouted:

"STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU!"

There was a quiet pause as both of the women shifted their eyes from each other to Mark.

"Luci?"

"Mark!"

"Sarah?"

"Mark?"

Luci finally had the presence of mind to grab a tablecloth from the nearest table and wrapped it around herself. Sarah, in shock, had rather slowly sunk down into a chair, trying to avoid fainting away, where she sat staring at Mark. In the meantime, Mark was trying to figure out where to start the conversation.

"What, pray tell, is going on out here?" he finally asked, after which both woman began to talk again, each trying to get her story out first.

"Well, I was waiting for..." "And there was this crazy woman..." "I don't understand what she's doing here..." "So I was..."

"HOLD ON," he shouted again, and a silence descended on the room. "That's better; let's do this one at a time."

"Ah, Luci, first. May I ask you a question?" he asked looking at Luci. She nodded her head in the affirmative.

"Why are you, or at least, were you, standing naked in the dining area?"

By this time, Luci was crying and sobbing, and as she answered, her nose was running, and — need one describe it in more detail?

"Well, (sniff) I overheard you and Tony talking (rapid ragged breath) about how you were attracted to women who looked (sniff, sniff) like some model (sob) in this painting, (ragged breath) and I thought (sniff) that if I looked more (little delicate snort) like her, then you might (sniff, sniff) notice me. (Out and out crying for a moment) (Deep breath) So I was going to (sniff) let you see me nude like the woman (sob) in the painting, so you would know (another little snort) that I could look just like her, (small wail) if that's what you wanted!" at which point she just sat there softly crying with a defeated look on her face.

Mark looked at his business partner, who had helped him so much, and of whom, he was very fond. But he had no real desire for her, and frankly was not especially attracted to older women — although he had to admit that Luci was a very attractive woman regardless of her age.

Mark gathered Luci in his arms, still wrapped in nothing expect a tablecloth, and sat her on his lap. He picked up a handy napkin from the adjacent table and carefully wiped her face of its tears and other effluvia. Then he kissed her gently on her forehead.

"Oh Luci. I like you just the way you are — you don't need to change for me. And I'm flattered that you would do this for me. What man wouldn't be? If the situation was different, well, who knows? You've always impressed me, with your mind, you are one smart cookie; you're hard working and determined, and no one is better at getting a restaurant up and running than you."

Mark paused for a second before adding, "And you've got a great looking body and are very pretty too, by the way."

"But Luci, you are also my business partner, and I don't think that it is ever a good idea for business partners to mix their business and private lives together. What would happen if we got together for a while, but then split up? Could you run the restaurant without me?"

Mark looked at Luci, and she shook her head 'no'.

"No you couldn't. And could I find the money and get the publicity for the restaurant that you do?"

He looked back at her, and again she shook her head 'no'.

"See, we each have to do our part. But if either one of us got angry and left, Veni Vidi would fall apart. So it's best if we are not physically involved with each other.

"And there is another problem. I'm not in love with you. I just had my heart broken," Mark said, glancing at Sarah sitting in the chair not ten feet away, "and I'm not ready for any other woman right now."

Mark helped Luci back up to her feet, and gave her a gentle pat on her rear end.

"So why don't you go and get dressed, and get yourself ready to do some hostess duty for the dinner tonight. Will you do that for me?"

Luci nodded, gathered her clothes, and went back through the kitchen doors to the staff bathroom.

Luci taken care of, Mark turned his attention to Sarah.

"So what is this about turning us in to the Department of Consumer Affairs? Calling the critics and the television stations? What were you thinking?" he asked.

Sarah was looking rather abashed.

"What are you doing here Mark? Do you work for Chef d'Fiorenze? I ate dinner here last week, and I was sure he was stealing your recipes and taking the credit for himself. I wasn't going to let him get away with it..."at which point Sarah's tears started in earnest, and she was crying and sobbing and her nose was running, and — need one describe it in more detail?

"Because (sniff,) I love you so much, (rapid ragged breath,) and I couldn't find you, and I couldn't let you know (sniff, sniff,) that they were serving your (sob) recipes, that you spent so much time (ragged breath) creating, so I had to protect you myself (sniff) but it's so hard without you. (little delicate snort) I was so stupid, not appreciating (sniff, sniff) that you were a really great chef. (Out and out crying for a moment) (Deep breath) And I still love you (sniff) and I'm so lonely and miss you so much (sob) and now I don't understand (another little snort) what's going on, but it's too late (small wail) for me to get you back!" at which point she just sat there softly crying with a defeated look on her face.

Mark thought about what Sarah had said and decided to start from the beginning.

"First, Sarah, I'm Chef d'Fiorenze."

She gasped, "But you're Mark Flore!"

Mark smiled a little, "Yeah, I'm Mark Flore too.

"You have to understand that when my parents came to the U.S., they decided to simplify their name and make it sound more 'American.' In Italy, our name was d'Fiorenze — which means, roughly, 'from Florence.' So my folks took the English name for Fiorenze, and then they shortened it to 'Flore.'

"And that's what I've gone by for all of my life. But when Luci approached me about opening my own restaurant, we got talking and I told her the story. She thought that it would be great for me to go back to my Italian family name, especially for an Italian restaurant like Veni Vidi. It sounds more exotic and authentic —'Chef Marko d'Fiorenze'.

Sarah pulled her chair over closer to Mark's to where they were almost touching. Mark looked at her, and picking up another clean napkin from the table, gently wiped the tears (yes, and the other effluvia as well) from her face.

"I was going to tell you about our plan for opening the new restaurant, but we never had a chance to talk. And then you and I had the big fight, and I didn't feel like sharing the good news anymore. It was kind of small potatoes compared to our breaking up," Mark explained.

Sarah then explained how her eyes were opened by the discovery that Phillip was a fraud and a con artist, who had not only been taking her company, but her as well, for a ride.

"You were right about him, and I fell into his trap, and I became a real bitch towards you. I pushed you out of my life; a man filled with love and kindness, who had always put me on a pedestal, and who I still love and miss every day.

"But I guess you've had the last laugh, Mark. While I was nagging you about going to college as the path to success, you were becoming a famous chef and proving me wrong," Sarah said, as she started to cry again.

As the tear ran down her face, she looked up into Marks eyes.

"I want you to know how happy I am for you. You've achieved your dream, and I'm glad. I just wish that I could have been there, standing beside you and supporting you while did it. I'm so sorry Mark, because I know that it's too late now."

The art of cooking is in some ways the art of making one mistake after the next until you get the dish just right. If the yeast isn't fresh enough, or if you don't use high-gluten flour, the bread doesn't rise enough. If you don't cook the Thanksgiving turkey at a high enough temperature, and for a long enough time, it comes out underdone; if you cook it at too high a temperature, or for too long, it comes out dry and overdone. And good cooks learn from their mistakes.

Mark was a great chef, and understood that we all make mistakes. As he looked over at Sarah, her makeup a disaster, tears staining her cheeks, but her eyes filled with love, it occurred to him that maybe, just maybe, he'd made a mistake. Perhaps he'd been too hasty in making his judgment. But perhaps this was a mistake that could be corrected. After all, without knowing that Mark was in fact Chef d'Fiorenze, Sarah had been willing to enter the dragon's den to defend Mark's cooking legacy. That was a proof of loyalty that meant a great deal to Mark.

"Sarah?" he asked aloud.

"Yes, Mark?"

"Would you be my Valentine? I love you too, you know; and I've been so lonely without you."

Sarah practically leapt from her chair and into Mark's arms, throwing her arms around his neck, and kissing his face. As he returned Sarah's kisses, he remembered how much he missed being close to this woman. She was his friend, his love, and his one-and-only.

After a couple minutes, when Mark and Sarah had calmed down a little, Mark went into the kitchen briefly, before returning with a platter. It had slices of toasted bread, and a bowl of a spread.

"In all of the excitement, I almost forgot. I'd made us something to eat for our meeting. The toast is a bread that you make without kneading, so it is very light and airy, but it takes over 24 hours to rise; and I made the spread that you always liked so much, with the Swiss cheese, Portobello mushrooms and grilled sweet onion..."

"Oh Mark," Sarah exclaimed with a laugh, "Always thinking about food!"

He smiled, "It's who I am!"

~*~*~*~

The Valentine's Day dinner at Trattoria Veni Vidi was a huge success. This was one occasion that no one who was invited was going to miss.

Prior to being seated, everyone partook from the open bar, and mingled. The attendees, most being members of the L.A. restaurant royalty, knew each other, and if they didn't know each other personally, they had heard of each other. And, to be honest, they were all delighted knowing that the meal that they would eat, they didn't have to fix themselves! Even chefs enjoy an evening out.

Luci was in her element, as she flitted from one group to another. Almost everyone remarked at how beautiful she was looking in her light green floor-length gown, with her hair so long and in that wonderful shade of red. Quite a number noticed that she could almost pass for the woman in the painting on the wall. She would smile and say thank you. She was seriously considering of changing her name from Luci to Simonette.