Down by the Lake Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

***

After lunch, Jeannie had the boys lie down for a bit 'just to rest'. The three of us gathered on the deck. She was still raving about what I had done with the boys, but especially JD.

"I won't say it was nothing, but the kids have natural abilities. Clark picked it up just listening to me and watching what JD did. His brother had a breakthrough this morning, what you're going to do about your dad is up to you."

"But enough of that for now. Madge has wanted this talk all day. Do you want to move up here? It would mean uprooting the boys, and a lot longer drive to work. And possibly problems with your folks."

"We talked while you were gone with the boys. Yes, I really want to live with you. Both of you. Now more than ever. What you did with JD...My dad loves the boys, but has this thing about left handedness. Work, that'll take about thirty or forty minutes, each way. Probably longer this winter. To me, it's worth it. What about school? How will it be for the boys?"

I didn't think school would be a major problem. The kids were young enough to make new friends. The larger difficulty, in my mind at least, was no other kids close by.

"We have a really good grade school in Fairfax, middle and high schools are in Buckley, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'm more concerned about your parents, and your mother, Madge. I want them to accept you living here in an unconventional household. For that matter, I want them to feel welcome at any time. So here's what I have in mind; let's do a barbeque up here next Monday, we'll invite everybody up, feed'em well, let them look me over, and send them away happy."

"Josh, do you really think it'll be that easy?"

"Madge, Honey. Anything is possible if you approach it with the right attitude. Look around, would you have thought this possible two months ago?"

The rest of the afternoon was spent in planning. When the boys came out rubbing their eyes, Jeannie broached the subject with them.

"Can I have my own room?"

Jeannie looked over at me, "JD, as long as you keep it neat and clean, yes. You can even put up posters and stuff."

"Cool. Can I bring my bike?"

"Yep. Do you both have bikes?"

They nodded, then ran off to play ball. I noticed JD was using his left.

***

Wednesday, Madge and I drove into Tacoma. First stop was the County Offices for our building permits. That went smoothly. John Brady's revisions were accepted, and the permits issued. I called him, telling him to get the scheduling set up, and let me know when they could start.

He laughed, said he and Johansen had planned on next Wednesday as a start date.

Madge and I had lunch, toured the Glass museum, walked along the Esplanade. We were killing time 'til her mother would be home. Madge was getting more and more nervous, until I sat her down and insisted she do her breathing. I know it's hard remembering something that simple when your stressed, but it's amazing what some slow breathing can do for you. Once she had calmed, we drove over to her mother's.

We pulled up in front of a single story house, neatly painted and groomed. Madge took a deep breathe, gathered herself, and stepped out of the car. I held her hand as we walked to the door. She looked over at me, rang the bell. A woman in her fifties, slim and graying hair answered the door, "Yes... Marjorie?"

Breaking into tears, "Oh, Mom. I'm sorry. I missed you. I'm so sorry."

The woman stood there, looking from her daughter, to me and back. Her hand went to her mouth, and tears started in the corners of her eyes.

She stepped aside and wordlessly waved us in. She led us to the living room, asking us to sit. "Can...Can I get you something?"

Madge nodded, "Water?"

Once the ice broke, they just started talking to each other, each saying she was at fault, the other saying, 'no it was me'. Eventually Madge's mother looked over at me, a question in her eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry. This is Josh. Josh Murphy. I live with him. Josh, my mother, Nancy."

We exchanged 'Nice to meet you', but she was looking me over, taking in my creases and gray hair, probably figuring my age within two years.

I sat back, letting Madge do all the talking. She and Nancy brought each other up to date. I took it all in. Nancy had the look of a tired woman, some one that had been working too hard for too long. And there was something else in the background. "Mrs. Franklin, pardon my interruption, and if I'm out of line, tell me to mind my own business, but are you alright?"

Madge snapped her head around to me, then looked back at her mother. "Mom, are you ok. You do look like something is going on."

She sighed, "It's nothing, just some arthritis. I take medicine for it. I'm fine."

I interjected softly, "What kind of arthritis?"

She looked at me closely. I suspect she realized I knew about arthritis. "Rheumatoid. But it's under control."

I let it go at that. Madge looked over at me again, a question in her eyes. Fortunately, she trusts me, so waited with her questions.

Eventually they started winding down, the conversational gaps growing. I mention our barbeque plans for Monday, asked if she would like to join us. "It'll let you see the home Madge is boss in."

"Yes, I'd like that. I can take Monday off; they owe me vacation time anyway."

"Can you take Tuesday also Mom? We have space, you can spend the night.

*****