Dragon Clans Bk. 01 Pt. 22

Story Info
The Adventures of Michael Dane continue.
6.4k words
4.68
22.3k
6
Story does not have any tags

Part 20 of the 33 part series

Updated 10/23/2022
Created 09/15/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

The open field had been transformed in the last few weeks. Standing on the stage, looking out over the field, Ian was caught up, as he always was, in the deep history of the place and this event.

For as far as the eye could see in the gathering blackness were the canvas tents, aligned in circles emanating out from the great bonfire at the festival grounds center. Other, smaller fires could be seen breaking through the inky darkness, allowing loose the shadows to dance and play within their glows reach.

'So many years,' Ian thought as the crowd gathered. 'So many moments, so many good and happy memories, so much history has passed through this single spot.'

Ian looked at those close to him, Millie, his stalwart companion, always there, always prepared to lend a hand when necessary. Always did she provide him the love and support that were so crucial to him down through the years. He smiled warmly at her, and it was returned, all of her love and need and desire communicated in the simplest but most meaningful of gestures.

Behind her, eyes searching the crowd and the darkness, Nigel, with his uncanny senses and piercing eyes, his strong right hand these many years. So much pain and violence, could anyone have asked for a better compatriot with which to meet the un-meetable? Ian thought not.

Valerie, Michael and Tera stood off to the side. Shifting his gaze from his companions to Michaels, he was hit for the first time with the truth of his life, that soon the future would come, and it would be in someone else's hands what path that future followed.

The thought brought both relief and sadness.

Relief that the burdens of leadership would no longer be his, that his time would be his own without the responsibilities that he had borne for so long. But there was also the sadness, that he had not done enough, that his stewardship was merely a placeholder.

He had done all that he could over the years to hold the line against the darkness, but had he truly done that, or had the loss of ground simply been to small to notice as the line moved inexorably in favor of the enemy.

Shaking his head Ian put such thoughts out of his mind, tonight was not a time for such ruminations, tonight was a time for helping the people of this place heal from the destruction the day had wrought. To provide hope in the midst of fear, to give strength and purpose in the face of what may be to come.

The scene before Ian took him then, the history, the power, the ultimate goodness of the place and people found purchase in his heart. The night seemed to pause, the fires to brighten; the air took on the electrical feeling of some great...impending as Ian began to speak.

"Exspectata Amicitia," Ian said, his voice, imbued with power and emotion, rolled out from the small stage over the hushed gathered crowds.

Michael was intrigued by the Latin greeting, something that harkened back to the roman influences over this small island so long ago.

"Another year has passed, as has been our custom for untold years, we gather during these few days to give thanks."

"Thanks for the bounty provided this year."

"Thanks for the people in our lives who share the road with us."

"Thanks for living in this place that provides so much. So much history, so much bounty, so much...hope for the future."

Ian paused, looking out at the shadowed faces of the crowd. There was a sense of expectation and serenity that came from the gathered multitude. It was the simple comfort that comes from maintaining and honoring the traditions of our ancestors.

"This year has seen Nogardshire continue to prosper. As it has been for centuries our little corner of the world has always been a place filled with a unique kind of magic. As I look out over the faces in crowd, I know them all. We are more than a community, we are friends, bound together by time and history and intention."

"So often people today do not see the person next to them. They walk through their lives wrapped in a cocoon of self-absorption, locked away from those that they see every day. This, for me, is the greatest gift of living in this amazing place, knowing that by taking the simple action of walking out my door and down the lane I will be confronted with someone I know, someone who I share a heritage with, and in so doing, we pass on that gift to those that will come after us."

As Ian said this his gaze shifted briefly to Michael, the men's eyes met for a moment, it gave Michael a sense of deep foreboding before Ian shifted his attention back to the gathered crowd.

"Often times when we speak of this place, we do so within the confined context of our shared past. We speak of the things going on outside this hamlet as if the outside world, its issues and problems, are not quite connected to this place."

"That changed today." Ian's hands moved up through his hair. He could feel the pain and fear coming off the crowd as they stood enfolded in the moment.

"Today, the outside world made its presence known to Nogardshire. And in so doing, added another page to our long history."

"We lost friends today, every single one of us lost someone that we knew, someone that we grew up with, cared for and loved."

"There are six of our clan who will never see the sunrise over the cliffs."

"Who won't feel the cool fall wind as it strips the brittle leaves from the oaks."

"Never again shall we find them laughing at ancient jokes within the pub."

"Mary and Camilla will not be able to brighten the center of town with their spring walks to the grocers."

"Claude will not see Malcolm get married and have children. He won't know the happiness of telling the old tales to his grandchildren."

"Malcolm will never know the enlivening joy of falling in love, the pride of watching his children grow, the comfort of years well spent living in this amazing place."

"We won't be able to slip into the cool interior of Sean's place. To find him their behind the counter, listen to his latest escapade and find that odd treasure which he had such a knack for finding. All of us have something needful that Sean provided."

"Sarah won't be starting Oxford in the spring. She will never tend to the children she wanted. Her long hoped for dashing young prince will have to find her on the other side."

Ian's tears sparkled in the firelight as they slid from his eyes. The weight of these losses, the useless suffering they caused weighed on him like nothing before.

He felt his portion of regret, knowing that his actions were most likely to blame for this befalling his home. But from the pain he felt from this loss, from his part in it, sprang forth a rage that steeled his determination.

His eyes cleared, many would say afterwards that they glowed with their own fire, fueled by his rage and tempered with a howling fury for revenge.

"Those that we lost today are not truly lost. They live on, in every brick and thatch of this town, every grain of soil beneath our feet. Their voices and laughter carry on the wind. While we may not be able to reach out to them, protect them, watch them grow, watch them age, they are with us always. For we shall always remember them."

"They are tied to this day, this moment, which down through the centuries has become so much a part of us, our families and this town. Always they will be remembered, always will they live and breath and contribute to us, for we shall never forget them."

The bonfire seemed to dim at this point, the wind that had been blowing, softly making its presence known, died. Ian looked out over the people before him, felt their energy shifting.

It filled him in that moment, the connection to them and this place, his heritage; all of it in that instance bringing his life and his own place within the great sea of eternity into clear focus.

With the fire in his eyes glowing white, ancient energy filling him, and hope for the future guiding his words, he continued.

"Cowardice and fear came to Nogardshire today."

"It crawled through the gutters and shadows, unwilling to show its face."

"It is the nature of those wretched, soulless beings that walk the earth not bound to anything but their own desires to fear and lash out at innocents."

"Within innocence lies that which they fear most, the simple truth that while others can find love, happiness and contentment, they know they never shall. They call it false, lies, and work against it at every turn. Only by trying to destroy it in others, can they hope to assuage its absence within themselves."

"A coward named Nicholas killed our friends today. He didn't have the courage to walk up to me like a man, to try and take back something which I took from him."

"He chose, like others of his clan have down through the centuries, to attack the helpless. He hopes to breed fear among us, he hopes to place the burden of their deaths on my shoulders."

Ian's breath could be seen in the shadowy light of the fire, a strong cloudy mist that brought forth the image of a bull standing in its corral awaiting the fool who would choose to step inside.

Michael was, as was everyone else, totally caught up in Ian's speech, it held a power and force and righteousness that none in attendance would ever forget.

Ian held everyone's attention, the sheer force of his will a palpable aura that enveloped the crowd as he continued.

"I have known this coward for many years, he and his kind have a long history of courting destruction instead of life. In the chaos of destruction they hope to find some ease from their own fear and self loathing."

"It never works, there is never enough destruction, death, loss or fear. There is no end to their suffering for they know nothing of creation, they know only to try to destroy that which they can never have."

"I have had the opportunity, over the years, to end Nicholas's pitiful life. With this latest act of senseless violence, I regret not doing so. However, the universe is a place of balance, for every enemy we vanquish, another steps up to fill their shoes."

"I am sorry that this has been visited upon you, it is no fault of yours, and in the end it is no fault of mine. A weak-minded coward who finds his home in the shadows and dark places of the world lashed out, trying to give meaning to his own empty life. I pity him, for he will never have what we do. A sense of community, a sense of history, a sense of shared purpose and the undeniable knowledge that we are worthy of all these good and noble things."

"In the ongoing legacy of those that have come before us."

"Absent friends never forgotten."

"The hope which the future holds."

"I declare the festival started, find joy my friends."

Ian stared out at the crowd, feeling as though a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

For so long he had carried the burdens of generations on his back, not truly feeling up to the task. This moment changed that for him, he found a peace and ease within it that would carry him through whatever the future may hold.

The crowd remained hushed for a moment, letting Ian's final words drift on the restarted winds.

And then as one a great cry rose up from them, with one voice there issued forth a sound of pain and power, victory and loss, passion and balance. They had been healed a bit by Ian's words. Felt the power and wisdom within them.

He had given them back some of what had been stolen that day. All who were there knew they would never be the same, but looked on the future with the hope of those who believe that whatever may come they will be ready to face it.

Ian felt Millie as she moved to his side. Her arms wrapping around his chest, her body pressing into his from behind, felt the heat of her and her love all in an instant.

Turning he pulled her to him, noticing the slight shimmering of tears in her eyes before his lips found hers. It was a deep meaningful connection, imparting the depth of feeling he felt both for her and this place.

Mille formed herself to him, she felt his passions stir; understood that he had put down much of the burden he had been carrying all these years. In this simple cathartic act he had become more himself than he ever had been before.

Ian pulled away from her, holding her at arms length, looking deeply into her eyes, he felt her passions, knew her desires, wanted nothing more than to quench them, but understood it had to wait.

Leaning into her neck, his warm breath a shocking contrast on her cool skin, Ian's whispered declaration set every one of Millie's nerves on edge.

"Soon my love, soon we shall explore this new passion, find it's depths, and give new definition to the words meaning," he said as his lips gently slid over the delicate flesh of her neck and then retreated as Ian straightened and moved off into the crowd.

Millie stood there watching him go, seeming to give off a gentle but powerful aura of calm and power as he moved off through the crowd. He met all those in his way with a hug or kiss or a kind word, he gave back to them tenfold what they had always given him so easily; the peace of understanding that history shall remember them all.... well.

Michael watched as Ian moved off through the crowd of people. His words had stirred them, giving them some hope and lightening some of the burden they had taken on today.

Tera moved closer to him, he felt her warm subtle strength envelope him as her shoulder came in contact with his.

Valerie's hand, twined with his, shifted, he looked down and her eyes were still wet with tears from Ian's words. Bending his neck, Michael and Valerie shared a brief warm kiss before she moved off to talk with Millie.

"There is more to come," Tera said to Michael after Valerie was out of earshot.

"What do you mean?" Michael asked, lost for a moment as he looked into her eyes, their depths dancing with the reflections of the fire behind them.

"Nigel is here, it looks as though he has two full teams with him. They are moving through the crowd, checking the tents and stands, keeping up a very tight surveillance net. They must believe that there is a good chance for another attack." Tera finished as she folded herself into his arms.

The embrace had the undercurrent of comfort that both of them were looking for in that moment. Their world seemed to be racing towards some unseen abyss, both of them were grateful that they did not have to face it alone.

"Millie," Valerie said as she walked to her.

Turning, Millie smiled seeing Valerie, pulling her into a long hug.

"He did so well," Millie said as the women pulled apart and stood together within the growing crush of people making their way towards the traditional dinner being served on the other side of the great bonfire.

"Yes he did," Valerie answered, the pride in her Uncle easy to hear in the emotion her words carried. "They needed it after today, and I think he did as well. It will take time for this wound to heal but Ian did a wonderful job of starting that process."

"How are Michael and Tera doing," Millie asked as she scanned the crowd looking for Ian, catching a glimpse of him moving from one knot of people to the next.

"It has been a very long day, but they seem to be holding up well, better than I am I fear. They are both stronger than I when it comes to things like this, I don't know what I would do without them." Valerie said.

Millie noticed that Valerie was not looking at her anymore, her eyes had been drawn back to her partners who were holding each other in a what looked to be a tender, loving embrace.

"How are the three of you doing? It seems that you and Tera have developed a deep friendship, how does that work with you and Michael?" Millie asked, already having an idea of the answer but wanting to hear it from Valerie herself.

Valerie paused, hearing Millie's question brought a smile to her lips, one that she was grateful for considering the events of the day. It brightened her to know that love and joy were still possible, even on days such as this.

"Tera and I have become very close, Michael loves us both, we both love Michael and each other. I don't know how it will work out in the end, but I am confident we three shall be together, no matter what may come our way." Valerie answered, getting anxious to go back and be with her mates.

The look on Valerie's face was not lost on Millie. "Go on, go be with them, get some food and find Ian, I am sure he would like to talk with the three of you, probably introduce Michael and Tera to a few of the locals." Millie said as she gave Valerie a quick hug before shooing her off.

"I will get them and go see if we can find Ian," Valerie said, giving Millie a quick kiss on the cheek before moving off, quickly being swallowed by the crowd.

Turning around to look for Ian herself, Millie saw Nigel standing off to the side of the bonfire talking with two of his operatives. The grave look on his face increased Millie's tensions as she walked towards the trio.

"Keep a sharp eye, I want everything coming or going into this town looked at, the threat level is high. We have captured one of the opposition within our perimeter, there are probably more, stay focused." Nigel said as the two men with him moved off with quick determined strides.

"What's happened," Millie asked Nigel as she came up behind him.

Nigel looked tired, it had been a long day for everyone but it seemed to weigh on him especially heavy. Running his fingers through his silver gray close-cropped hair he sighed and responded.

"We found someone video tapping Ian's speech, sending it via wireless to a third party, we can't get an id on them and there are no records on this person. We believe she works for Nicholas," Nigel said closing his eyes and rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"If there is one there are probably more, I've got two teams active in the field but I'm not sure it's enough, if possible can you try and get Ian back to the castle, I have another two teams coming in first thing, but for tonight I just don't want to push our luck." Ian asked.

"I'll do everything I can, thank you for everything you've done Nigel, I know its been a hard day. Do you have someone keeping an eye on Michael, Valerie and Tera?" Millie asked.

"Yes, I have watchers close to them, you and Ian, but with the other devices we found this afternoon, they will do little against someone willing to sacrifice themselves and innocents to get who they are after." Nigel said, distracted by something coming over the com in his ear.

"I'll go find Ian, be safe Nigel," she said with a lingering look that was returned by Nigel, imparting the understanding that they would be all right.

Michael and his women had found there way to the feast. Each had been sampling the various dishes half-heartedly.

The day was catching up to all of them and even though Ian's speech had calmed everyone somewhat, the air was still thick with the weight of the day's events as well as the future it may portend.

"Michael," Ian shouted as he moved through the crowd towards the trio.

Turning, Michael was happy to see that Ian looked much better than he had earlier. It was as if a weight had been lifted from him; he hoped that the man's seeming calm was truly how he felt.

"Hello Ian, wonderful opening, I think it gave all of us a bit of perspective that was sorely needed." Michael said shaking the older mans hand.

"They are all good people, they deserve to know the truth," Ian said as he pulled Valerie into a quick hug and gave Tera's shoulder a comforting squeeze.

"There are a few people I would like you to meet Michael," Ian began before being cut off by Millie.

"Time enough for introductions tomorrow I would think," she said, coming up next to Ian, sliding her arm around his waist.

"It has been a long day, and all of us could do with a good nights rest, how about we go back to the castle, have a night cap and then turn in early. The rest of the weekend promises to be very busy," Millie said, sending a look Ian's way that held both the promise of what could be had with acceptance and the danger involved in refusing.

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers
12