Dreams of Destiny Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Now that's just not true," Destiny countered. "Where in Hell did you get that piece of information?".

"From Marty."

"Marty made that up," Destiny insisted. Talk to the kid again, Kate. Think about immediate shelter care. The kid's practically in shock over what happened. And he's nice, and he's bright."

"Yeah," Kate grumbled. "And he's in the same boy scout troop as all of your other juvees. I know you Destiny, and I know these kids. They may get to you but they don't get to me. Not any more"

"Just talk to him," Destiny urged one more time.

"All right," Kate grudgingly agreed.

"Thank you!"

Judge Raven strode purposefully into the room.

"All rise," Elaine, sang out. "All persons having business before the Honorable Judge Raven now presiding before this Honorable Court ..."

Destiny slipped out the door as Elaine gave her opening spiel to the audience. It was almost 12:30. The morning calendar was just about to begin. Destiny decided it was time to figure out who would be testifying for the government in Devon's case.

Before she did that she looked again for the missing Takita Smallwood. Takita was definitely a no show, which meant the case would be assigned to another attorney when, if ever, Takita was picked up by the police on the charge.

Destiny sat down on one of the seats outside the Courtroom to re-read Devon's paperwork. Her best guess was that Marty would call the arresting officer. She squinted to decipher the officer's name. Well, hot damn, Destiny thought. It looks like John Rodgers to me. Mr. Youth Division himself. Maybe I'd better go freshen up, Destiny thought with a laugh.

No, better yet. Maybe he's in the police's lounge. The cops had a small room to the left of Courtroom 10 where they schmoozed, and snoozed while waiting for their cases to be called. Destiny's devilish side came out all of a sudden. I'll just take a little peek inside. I wouldn't want Elaine to see me with my jaw hanging open when he appears in Courtroom 10.

No, he can't be that good looking. And what do I care any way?

Ah, hell, just a peek. Destiny walked unobtrusively over towards the police lounge door. No one was looking. She opened the door a crack. The light was dim, and yes, there was a well built cop asleep on the cot. But damn it, his back was towards her. It was a very sexy back, as far as she could tell. The hair was very dark cut in a longish, casual way. Something about the fall of the hair and the tilt of his head was familiar.

"Destiny, there you are," Marty's loud voice hit her like a blow. "The case has been called. What were you...? Ah. Ah Hah. I get it. The word is out. Sneaking a peek at the local talent, were you? Destiny, I'm ashamed of you."

Destiny's face was bright red. She wanted to sink into the floor out of sight. No. She wanted to close her eyes, and open them and be some where else. Anywhere.

And she did close her eyes. But when she opened them she was still there. Marty was still laughing and then she had to laugh at herself. What was so wrong about a little female curiosity, anyway. Caught me dead to right Marty. But I bet you wish it was you I was peeking at you bald haired buzzard, she whispered under her breath as she entered the courtroom and walked up to the defense table.

Destiny smiled at her client for encouragement when he was brought into the room. As he stood next to her she whispered to him "did you talk to Ms. Golding again."

"Yes," he replied.

"What did you talk about?". "School, and my mamma and her drugs, and her boy friend, and my brother and sister, and how they hit on us. And how us kids take care of my granddaddy when he's sick.

"But I told her I couldn't talk about the facts of the case, just like you said, "Destiny. Was that right?" he asked worriedly.

"I'm sure you did just fine, Devon," Destiny assured him.

The case was called for the record and the arraignment proceeded. When Judge Raven asked for Court Social Service's recommendation Kate Golding looked at Marty for a second. Then she looked at Devon and smiled just briefly. Destiny relaxed a smidgen.

"Your Honor, this is a tough case. And although there factors indicting the appropriateness of secure detention I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend expedited youth shelter house placement." Marty gave Kate a dirty look. Destiny mouthed a silent "thank you."

"Kate continued. "This young man is only fourteen years old and has no prior convictions. He does have two prior contacts. Both were no papered shop lifting charges. It is true also that the young man was recently expelled from school for fighting. The school principal, however, indicated to me that there were mitigating circumstances.

"The facts and circumstances surrounding this case are very troubling and the charges are very serious. But it cannot be over looked that the reason Youth Division was at the respondent's home was to investigate allegations that he and his younger siblings were in immediate danger of physical abuse by their adult caretakers. Placement in the home of the mother is impossible. . The great grandfather is elderly and infirm. There are no other relative placements available.

Although the incident did involve flight from a police officer there were mitigating factors. I think the respondent should be given a chance in a youth shelter house. Moreover, he is somewhat small for his age. I don't know if he'd be safe at Oak Hill."

"What is the government's view on this?" Judge Raven asked.

Marty puffed himself up for a fight. "The government is asking for secure detention, Your Honor."

"Why?" Raven asked bluntly. "It's a first offense. Less restrictive alternatives haven't been attempted. If not for the social factors this child would be released in this case."

"Not without a fight, Your Honor," Marty said doggedly. "This was a highly charged incident that could have lead to serious injury or death to officers, the respondent, or innocent bystanders."

"But it didn't, did it" Judge Raven interrupted.

"Unbelievable," Destiny thought. "Judge Raven actually on my side for a change."

"No your Honor," Marty admitted, "but shots were fired."

"One shot, maybe, and that has to be shown," Destiny interjected.

"You'll get you chance, Ms. Lysander," the Judge chided her.

"What else do you have, Mr. Feinstein," the Judge said impatiently.

"He tried to resist arrest," Marty said finally.

"That's an out and out lie," Destiny burst out. "Quiet," Judge Raven ordered.

"He's not charged with resisting. Is the government moving to amend the petition?" the Judge asked with a frown.

"No, but..." "Then that's not an issue, is it, Mr. Feinstein?" "No sir," Marty backed down.

Judge Raven directed his attention to Destiny. Ms. Lysander, will you be asking for a probable cause hearing if I go along with immediate youth shelter house placement?"

I get it" Destiny thought cynically. Judge Raven's got a lunch date and he's afraid he'll be late if there's a hearing"

"Yes." And miss a chance to see Mr. Youth Division 2000 in action, "Destiny thought." Not on your life"

The Judge sighed. "That's what I was afraid of. Call your witness, Mr. Feinstein, the Judge said resignedly."

While the case was proceeding inside, Officer Rodgers, camped out in the officer's lounge had awakened from a deep sleep like a swimmer emerging from deep water. First he thought he heard someone say "Destiny," sharply. Then he became aware of a comforting, enveloping dark. As he came out of his slumber it became lighter and lighter until he opened his eyes and started to take in his surroundings. The room was small and dimly lit. He was on a very uncomfortable cot. Where the hell, he wondered, was he? Certainly not in bed in Takoma park. I was on an island, but I wasn't me. His whole body remembered. There was a woman. Destiny. No that's not a name he thought And there was a woman. Oh yes, indeed, he remembered..

Oh God, I'm in Superior Court. That's right. I brought that darn kid in this morning. Damn near got both of us killed. Turned out to be a nice kid though. Just scared to death and fed up with getting the shit kicked out of him. We all go through that. Hell, I felt like that almost every day of my last year in homicide. No wonder this morning took such a toll on me. But boy I surely did sleep. And I the dream when I finally slept -- what a whopper. I'd almost go through the whole thing again for a dream like that. Almost, but not quite.

What time is it, any way? One o'clock. Christ these juvee case take forever. First the darn paper work down town. Then the prosecutor. That Marty Feinstein is a real piece of work. Tried to make out like the kid was Jesse James or something. Then sitting down here waiting for the judge to get his ass on the bench. If it wasn't for the overtime I'd chuck it all in and start a new career.

No you wouldn't, John reminded himself. There's that other business. to finish up. That's personal. You couldn't finish it in Florida. The bastard moved on and you followed him. Time and patience will finish it. And luck. Bad luck for him. Good luck for me.

What I really need is a shower, a shave and a real bed. And 24 hours of uninterrupted down time. Not back to work on the midnight shift. I can't go on this way forever, John thought, tiredly. And its only Monday. Two more shifts to get through. Ah well. Take it as it comes. Let the shit fall as it will. John leaned back, about to fall asleep again, when Marty stuck his head in the door.

"You're up, Mr. Youth Division."

"Oh, give me a break," Marty, Rodgers asked, as he shrugged his broad shoulders into his jacket.

"I might," Marty responded," but defense counsel won't. You might like her to though. Prepare to meet your Destiny, Mr. Youth Division."

"Kiss my ass, Marty," Rodgers suggested sweetly.

"In your dreams," said Marty. "Get in there and make my case. I don't want this boy to walk."

"I'll do my job," Rodgers answered back as he strode commandingly into the courtroom. "But I'm not going to hang that kid out to dry. Understand?" I tell it the way it happened, not the way I think you want the Judge to see it.

"The government calls John Rodgers," Marty announced pompously.

Destiny swore she heard him say Juan Rodriguez. The blood started to drain out of her face. She room seemed to waiver a bit.

Don't blink," Destiny though crazily. I have to see this through." Her pencil snapped in half between her fingers.

"What's wrong, Destiny, Devon asked in a whisper." Unfortunately, the microphone picked up his voice and it sounded like a shout to Destiny.

Destiny?, John started at the name. Not possible. He stopped in mid step on his way up to the witness stand and peered towards the defense table. "Holy shit" he mouthed, as he caught his first glimpse of defense counsel. Yes, it was her. He watched as her green eyes widened in recognition and wonder. Her black hair was pulled up and off her face, which offset, what he saw as her beautiful facial features. Tall, but fragile. And she looked so tired. Older. World weary. He wanted to walk over and lift the burdens he could almost see pressing down on her shoulders.

Juan? Destiny wondered in silent amazement. It couldn't be. But it was. There was no mistaking that bold stride. His magnificent carriage. His strong brow, the chiseled cheek bones and the determined set of his chin. Those amazing sapphire eyes. Yet it wasn't him. For one thing, he wasn't tan as he was in her dream. He was in civilian clothing, for another. But he was still a cop. He was thinner. He was muscled more like a swimmer or a runner, not a fighter as she had last seen him in her dream.

The world as Destiny and John knew it tilted on its axis and suddenly expanded exponentially. New horizons opened. Whole new possibilities were laid at their feet.

Don't you dare blink," Destiny mouthed, not sure who the words were meant for. Herself? John? Everyone on the planet?

Don't blink, John murmured at the same instant.

The moment passed and everything was back to normal.

The name "John Rodgers," was still coming out of Marty's mouth. Rodgers was still walking up to the witness stand. John and Destiny knew everything was different.

Officer Rodgers took the witness stand and was duly sworn in to testify.

Marty artfully drew out John's testimony. Destiny listened numbly, barely taking notes. At one point Devon, nudged her. "Are you listening to him Destiny" he asked worriedly?

"Of course I am. Don't worry. It'll work out."

"That's easy for you to say, Devon grumbled.

On cross examination, John testified that only one shot was fired from the respondent's weapon and that was just as the chase began, even before John was out of the apartment. He admitted that shot could have been fired by accident and came no where near him or anyone else in or out of the apartment to his knowledge. Much to Marty's disgust, John agreed that DEVON gave himself up quickly upon apprehension and without a struggle. He never tried to retrieve the gun after it flew out of his hand. The gun was retrieved by John after DEVON was subdued.

He was, however, sure the gun he retrieved was the gun Devon brandished during the chase. Destiny couldn't get John to admit that he might have lost sight of Devon during the chase, even for a second.

"You didn't blink during the chase, Colonel Rodgers," Destiny asked in frustration.

"Its officer Rodger, ma'am." "That's what I said, isn't it?" Destiny asked.

"No ma'am. I didn't blink long enough to change what I saw in that alley." "A funny way of working it," Destiny thought. But she didn't follow through on the line of questioning.

"No more questions Your Honor." Destiny surmised that she had done much better than she thought possible on cross examination. Not only was officer Rodger's Mr. Youth Division. He was a dream witness for the defense

John was grateful when Destiny's questions ended. Although he hadn't blinked during the chase, he had blinked long enough after the apprehension to be transported to a fantasy island and wake up from a dead faint looking up into the eyes of Destiny. I want to see more of your beautiful, green eyes. I need a drink, John concluded silently. No, I need a double.

Marty tried to rehabilitate his case with a question or two without success. He released his witness. "Thanks a whole lot. You can go, ass hole, he whispered to Rodgers as he signed the officer out."

Rodgers smiled. "Nah. I think I'll go catch a few winks in the officers lounge." He looked in Destiny's direction hoping to catch her eye. He was rewarded by a quick nod in his direction. Assured she would look for him on her way out he sauntered out of the Courtroom.

"Does the government have any further witnesses?" Judge Raven asked.

"No Your Honor."

"Defense witnesses?"

"None you Honor," Destiny assured the Judge. "Argument" asked the Judge?

"The prosecution submits on probable cause."

"As does the defense."

Judge Raven looked happy. "I find probable cause. Any new argument on placement in view of the testimony?"

Marty looked uncomfortable. "I would just like to reiter..."

The Judge interrupted. "I said new argument. I take it that's a no."

"No your Honor." "Ms. Lysander?"

"None, Your Honor. I think Court Social Services stated the matter quite well."

"Good. The respondent will be placed in a youth shelter house on an expedited basis. Do we have a status date?" The Judge looked at the courtroom clerks.

Elaine suggested July 24th at 9:30 a.m. on calendar 2. The parties agreed and the respondent was ushered from the room.

During the entire course of the hearing, Elaine watched had Destiny and John closely. I had a funny feeling about those two, Elaine thought with a smile. And when I'm right, I'm right.

"Unless there is anything else," the Judge said, "this Court is adjoined until 2:45 p.m. for lunch. The people left waiting in the gallery for their cases to be called groaned in unison. It was already 2:15. The case had taken longer than anyone expected.

As she was leaving the Courtroom Judge Raven called to her from the bench. "Ms. Lysander, could you approach the bench for a moment off the record." "Of course, Your Honor." Surprised, Destiny complied.

"Ms. Lysander, I know you don't mean any disrespect to the Court, but do you really think tennis shoes are appropriate apparel for the Courtroom?" Not again, Destiny thought.

Fed up with apologies she had been making for years she took a new, bold approach.

"Your Honor," she said in a conspiratorial tone of voice, "not many people know this, but I have very sensitive feet." Destiny noticed the Judges ears begin to turn pink. She made her voice even more intimate. "Right know I have a badly infected corn on right big toe. I can't bear to wear anything but tennis shoes. I can show you my foot if you would like." Destiny started to reach down, as if to pull her shoe off in open Court. Judge Raven's craggy old face turned beet red. "No, no," he hurriedly demurred. "Don't inconvenience yourself. I hope it ..uh...heels quickly, no pun intended." He looked like he was going to give her a wink.,

My God, I just used my bedroom voice on Judge Raven and it worked, Destiny thought, smiling inwardly I'll have to try that more often.

Out loud she thanked the Judge for his concern. "Have a nice lunch, Your Honor," you old foot fetishist she added to herself.

Destiny decided to stop in and see her client before she went to lunch. She went back into the holding cell where Devon was still being held.

"Hey Devon, how are you doing?" she asked him.

"Okay, I guess," he responded without enthusiasm.

"You made a few friends today," Destiny said.

"Yeah? Who?"

"Officer Rodgers for one. He bent over backwards not to nail you at that hearing."

"I guess," Devon agreed."

"And Ms. Golding changed her mind about you completely after she talked to you the second time. Did you know that?" She originally recommended Oak Hill. The prosecutor was really pissed at her. He was pissed at Rodgers too."

"I liked Ms. Golding," Devon admitted."

"And I think you and I are going to get along pretty well. We have a lot of work ahead of us though. Do you think you can work with me?" Destiny asked.

"Yeah."

"Did you understand what happened in the Courtroom?"

"Sure," he said. "I get to go to a youth shelter house. What's that gonna be like" he asked with trepidation.

"Its like a group home" Destiny explained. You'll be staying in a house with a bunch of kids your own age. You'll probably have to share a bed room with another kid. It is not a locked facility but there are rules and regulations. You'll have chores to do and you will be able to earn privileges. They will be able to get you back into school. Does that sound okay to you."

"Yeah," Devon said. "It sounds better than home. When do I go?"

"Today, I think. The Judge ordered that your name be put at the top of the list for placement so you don't have to go to Oak Hill. I've got to go but I'll call you as soon as I find out where you have been placed. And Devon, Destiny reminded him, "you have my phone number for a reason."

"What's that? Devon asked.

"So you can call me if you need me or have any questions. Do you remember your next Court date?"

"Uh"

"Two weeks from today. Don't forget. I'll talk to you later."

"Destiny," Devon called as she was leaving, "could you find out where my brother and sister are please."

"Sure. Their cases are coming into Court this afternoon. I'll stick around long enough to find out what happens to them." I should be able to tell you something tonight. Call me if you don't hear from me."

"Thanks Destiny."

Destiny headed out of the Courtroom with her mind on little other than where to go for lunch. She figured she had about half an hour before she should get back for the initial hearing in DEVON's siblings' neglect cases. She thought of checking in on officer Rodgers as she passed by the officer's lounge, but got cold feet at the last second. As she was about to step onto the up escalator she hear her name called. "Destiny, wait." She turned. Rodgers was running to catch up with her. She stopped and waited for him, smiling as he approached.