Duplicity Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Lady Ann spread her thighs and reached down to stroke the taunt outline of Henry's manhood over his trousers and felt his excitement grow. She fought to pushed another comparison out of her mind. "Now show me how you've missed me!"

Henry swallowed past the lump in his throat as she caressed him and he couldn't resist grabbing a hold of her breasts.. "Shall I ruined her for him then? Soil her innocence so he's forced to abandon her to keep his honor?" He drew his breath sharply when her fingers gripped him.

"You shall play a part," Ann purred up into his ear. "But I want him to suffer without the deed to be traced back to you or me. So they must marry and quickly."

"I'm afraid I don't understand? You want him married to the one he threw you over for---."

Lady Ann abruptly sat up and pushed him away. She crossed the expanse of her bedchamber to her dressing table in just gartered silk stockings and her tumbling honey-colored hair to hide her nakedness. Henry groaned in frustration as he watched her movements, so graceful and purposeful, like a cat. She fumble through all the varying shaped bottles and jars on her vanity, before finding an ornate box, and retrieved a cigarillo.

"Come back!" he implored with a theatrical groan in frustration.

Ann didn't reply as she lit the cigarillo and seductively arched her long neck to expel a puff of smoke. She leveled her cat-like hazel eyes on him again. "I've never suffered any man to play me for a fool, Henry. Not my husband. Not any of my lovers. I intend to play the long game, " Ann said softly, with stony determination. "He will marry Evelyn and tie the noose of matrimony tightly so there's no escape. Then I will use the very object of his love against him!"

Henry felt a delightful shiver run up his spin at the throaty sound of her voice. Yet he did not feel convinced by her words. "Unless you intend to turn his bride into a nagging shrew I don't see how that goal can be accomplished. Even so, a man would simply pack his wife off to the country to look after the children and carry on as he pleases. You know that. There's not much a woman could do in effecting the lives of men, even in marriage."

"You'd like to believe so wouldn't you?" Lady Ann replied archly as she blew smoke out one side of her pursed lips. "Allow me to enlighten you my dear boy. Never underestimate the power of women. Especially if you have the misfortune to fall in love with one. The greatest of men have been brought down by a weakly made woman simply because he loved her. There are many ways she may destroy your mind and wreck havoc without you even knowing it."

Henry laced his fingers behind his head and studied her, lazily, still unconvinced. "Not John Mallory surely! I doubt he is capable of any frailty, especially love. He never flusters. Doubt he broke a sweat during the whole bloody campaign against the Prussians. A man like that, was forged by sterner stuff that would take more than feminine wiles to break."

"Ah but the stronger, more unyielding a man may be, the harder he will break!" Lady Ann retorted. "No, dear boy John Mallory is not infallible as he would have the world believe. He is a man forged of his past and bears the scars both physically and hidden."

"What scars? Oh do tell!"

Ann smiled enigmatically. "Some secrets I must keep, even from you, for now. Prove yourself useful and you shall be rewarded with my trust."

"What's to be my purpose then?"

"Plenty," she replied biting down on the end of the cigarillo, and sucked puffs of smoke from it.

"When shall we act?" he pressed further.

Ann chuckled and shook her head. "Patience dear boy! You see, that's the power of women you see. First we watch. We observe. We use the inherent weakness of our foes against them and move them as we like, like so many pieces on a chessboard. The key lies in understanding their motivations and weaknesses."

Henry shrugged and conceded the point. He got up from the chaise and went to take her in his arms again. "Fine. You shall play your feminine wily games. But later! Enough scheming for now. I'm bored with it. I've wait for you all afternoon and will claim my reward for my patience."

Lady Ann suddenly narrowed her eyes suspiciously as she leaned back, away from him to gaze deep into his green eyes. "What has he done to garner your disdain? What do you hope to gain from my plans?""

He wrapped his arm tightly around her and nuzzled her neck, the way he knew she liked. "On the one hand, I should thank him for freeing your attentions," he said between kisses. " These last few weeks have been divine with you my dear. One the other, he's won quite a sum from me at the card table."

"You hate him because he bested you at cards?"

"Rather ruthlessly, when he deign to suffer my company!" Henry quipped. The corner of his mischievous green eyes crinkled as he smiled. He stepped back to shed his shirt and unfasten his trousers.

"I don't hate him, my sweet.," Henry confessed light-heartedly as he grabbed her with one hand and held out his erection with the other. " As I see it, it's quite unjust how God has given him with both hands. He's taller, far better titled and a better horseman than I. Society seems to move to the tempo he dictates and he's insufferably arrogant about it. Women desire him and men emulate him. Even the Whigs and Tories will pause to hear him speak and they never listen to anybody. Now he's to have the most desired debutant of this season? How is such a man tolerable? It's quite unthinkable-- no, it's my duty to see him humbled, don't you think? All in the name of fairness and restoring balance."

Lady Ann allowed Henry to draw her to him once more. She signed when he kissed the hollow of her neck, then drew in her breath sharply when he pushed up into her.

"Quite so," she thought ruefully as she clung to his shoulders to meet his urgent thrusts. "Lord John had indeed been blessed with abundance in every conceivable way."

************************************ As Lady Ann predicted, Evelyn had a sudden flood of visitors. Invitations to teas, picnics, theatre boxes and suppers poured in.. They were from the Countess this or the Duchess that. All the paragons of Society came calling to offer her their friendship and with more urgency than before to know the young woman who captured Lord Davenport's heart where so many had failed so miserably before.

There was no question that the young lady was beautiful enough to be worthy of a Romney portrait, but who was she? Who were her people that she should marry the heir of the Duke of Northumberland? Everyone who was anyone had to know!

Evelyn tried to politely discourage their probing. Still they came day after day to sit, drink tea, play cards and probe for every detail of Evelyn's betrothal. Evelyn remained stoically silent, but this time the curious would not be denied. So when Evelyn sputtered for a response, her new friend, Lady Ann, came to the rescue.

"Why, they were spoke for each other since Lady Evelyn was a child. Evelyn returned from abroad since she came of age so they may marry. Certainly, you've all known of this?" Lady Ann lied cleverly to the milieu, to Evelyn's look of relief and gratitude.

"Why yes!" Lady Warwick was quick to agree. "We thought it was common knowledge!"

No one inquired further after that. Later Ann explained it thusly to Evelyn: "None who believe herself to be the height of fashion and the pinnacle of her society will willingly admit she's not privy to all the secrets of her milieu. They can do nothing but pretend they've all known this all along."

Sure enough, it became generally accepted that Lady Evelyn had always been betrothed to Lord Davenport, as Lady Ann knew it would be.

Still the ladies came to the Warwick's in anticipation of Lord Davenport. They all wanted to be there to bear witness when he shed his proud visage when he called on his intended bride! How thrilling they all agreed, to finally witness the great, self-possessed Lord John blush and simper as he utter words of love to Evelyn. All the ladies conjectured that he would be marvelous at reciting poems and sonnets as he was at everything else! So for a few hours each day the Warwick's parlor was clustered with ladies, nibbling on cakes and sipping tea, as they anxiously awaited Lord John's arrival.

Lord Davenport, did not come!

Lady Warwick wavered between elation over her new-found popularity and taking advantage of all the invitations Evelyn declined, to despairing the lack of even a note from Lord Davenport. She managed to learn of his favorite brand of Scotch and ordered her cook to only prepare his favorite foods. Her impatience was mounting though, and became more apparent with each passing day. She took to coming up with more and more outlandish reasons for why he was yet again detained.

Lady Ann again came to the rescue, when she informed all who queried that it was a busy time for the peerage, what with the question of reform coming before Parliament. Most of the ladies had no interest in the particulars of what men did, but they accepted that there might be more pressing matters of governance that may put a hold on romance. That, however, did not prevent them from returning home to grumble about the lack of Lord Davenport's sighting yet again.

In private the Lady Warwick wringed her hands and despairingly wondered out loud why he hasn't called on them, or even set an proxy. Surely he must formally propose to Evelyn, or make some form of gesture to his deep affections. There were matters of grave importance to be discussed that even a secretary would do. There's an engagement dinner to plan and even the wedding date to be set! More importantly, Lady Warwick thought, if his lordship became a regular at her townhome, no one could ever doubt her position in society ever again.

"He must come?" Lady Warwick said to Evelyn yet again. "As man of his station ought to bestow some token of affection to his bride to be. Has he sent no word to you? No gifts at all?"

The household was gathered in the parlor that afternoon, all with the exception of the Earl of course. Mary and Regina darted glances at Evelyn sitting in a corner, her dark head bent over a book.

"How can he not!" Lady Warwick wondered rhetorically. "Perhaps he called while we were out?" She asked the butler to check for Lord Davenport's calling card. The butler shook his head, no. His lordship hadn't been by.

"My dear Evelyn," Mary said at last. "Perhaps you ought to invite him?"

"Heavens!" exclaimed Regina. "Would that be proper? Surely he must call on her!"

Both girls turned to their older sister, who was just as at a loss to the proper. "Maybe you should send him a note?" she finally suggested to Evelyn.

Evelyn closed her book and stood up from her seat. "I beg your pardon, but I think I'll visit with Lady Ann this evening. She's unwell and I thought to cheer her with a visit."

If there was one thing that her marriage would afford her was an escape from the insufferable Warwick's household, Evelyn thought with disgust as she quickly left the room. All they ever cared about was where they stood in society. Who ought they be seen with. Which invitations did they receive just so that they could return home later and tear apart their friends and acquaintances as surely as they were savaged by them. It was all meaningless, Evelyn thought with a frustrated growl.

Her maid, Martha, bless the girl, quickly helped her find her hat and cape. If she didn't get out of that house immediately, Evelyn thought she would claw through her own skin. The constantly scrutiny and probing questions was more than she could take. All of which was made worse by her own lingering doubts over Lord Davenport or the particulars of marriage itself. Thankfully there was Lady Ann or Evelyn thought she would burst from all the indescribable emotions churning in her bosom.

Only Lady Ann was privy to how much Evelyn both dreaded and longed to see Lord Davenport's tall, looming figure. There were moments when she thought she saw him in the streets, or at theatre or across a ballroom. Her heart would jump to her throat and she would forget to breath until the gentleman turned and reveal himself to be someone else entirely. She soon discovered there was a fair number of tall, handsome men with black hair and blue eyes residing in London. None were quite as handsome, or had his gravitas.

Why has he stayed away? He, along with the rest of London, must have learned of their betrothal by now. Would he not come to claim her? Then the memory of their last meeting would flood her thoughts and Evelyn would inevitably blush with mortification. Perhaps he still thought her wanton and unworthy of marriage. Somehow that thought was devastating to her.

That afternoon, Evelyn found Ann tucked into her enormous bed with most of her head and part of her face beneath a cap. She beckoned for Evelyn to take a chair set beside her bed and held the younger girl's hands in her own.

"It's these impossible headaches I often get," she explained to Evelyn in a faint voice. "I shall be better by and by. Tell me, what troubles you child?"

"You are so good to ask after me," Evelyn said. "I could not have asked for a better friend in this trying time."

Lady Ann's thin pale lips curled into her customary warm smile. "Oh my honey, I'm shan't have you accuse me of saintliness when all I've done is no more than what any friend would do! How are you, really?"

"I feel as though time has stopped," Evelyn admitted. "I find myself laughing and crying all at once. Nothing interests me. Everything is irritating. I'm uncertain whether to be glad or horrified. Lady Warwick looks to me for answers, but I have none to give her. I do not know Lord Davenport's mind. I barely know my own. It's maddeningly how I could long to see him again and yet dread the moment when he finally comes to claim me. I recoil whenever his name is brought up and feel physically ill. Yet I long to hear more. Why hasn't he come? I've never felt such torment that feels as though my insides are being ripped to shreds!!"

Lady Ann smiled enigmatically and closed her eyes to hide her own thoughts at Evelyn's confession. "There's another reason I sent for you today, aside from the desire to see your lovely face again. I have made inquiries as you have asked. It would appear that your Lord Davenport is not in London."

"Not in London?" Evelyn exclaimed as her eyes flooded with inexplicable tears. "Gone? What does this mean? Am I free then?"

Lady Ann reached out and cupped Evelyn's chin to turn the girl's beautiful, tormented face towards her own. "He left rather abruptly my sources tell me, but he is not gone in the way you're imagining. I don't know more than that, but it may be a --- a rather private matter."

Seeing Evelyn's blank look, Ann chose her works carefully. She had only heard that Lord Davenport had been called away on an urgent matter concerning some interests of his in shipping. But with enough ingenuity, she could cast just enough doubt that Evelyn would be driven mad by it. "I have no personal knowledge of your Lord Davenport's habits. What I do know of men of the peerage, it would not be so unusual if he had... personal matters to settle when his marriage bans are read, to prevent complications from arising later. Of course marriage itself would not keep him from having-- dalliances he'd rather keep secret. Every wife would be well served to be understanding of such things."

The message slowly sunk in from the way Evelyn's face suddenly became emotionless as she stared, blankly, unseeing, into the distance. For the first time Ann noticed the dark circles under Evelyn's slightly sunken eyes and her face was deathly pale.

Ann pointed to a large leather bound volume on a table beside her. "Will you read to me my child? Let's turn our minds to more pleasant matters."

It was dark out, and the rain had yet again turned into a misty drizzle when Lady Ann shut her eyes and her breathing became slow and steady. Evelyn got up and quietly left the room.

As soon as the latch in the door shut, and Evelyn's footfall faded away, Ann pounced, quickly and quietly off her bed. She ducked behind a window curtain to watch Evelyn exit the house and climb into her waiting carriage.

Evelyn dreaded privacy of her carriage, where she knew her composure would crumble, and she would be confronted with all that she had learned from Ann.

Suddenly, Evelyn was jolted from her misery by a terrifying shriek, a shrill neigh from the horses, as her carriage came to a jolting halt! The impact threw her forward onto her hands and knees! As she tried to crawl back up again, the carriage lurched forth again. She could feel the horses bucking and bolting against the carriage over their terrified cries. The entire box was rocking back and forth!

What has happened?

Could the horses have been simply spooked, but surely the coachman would reign them in and calm them.

She could not hear the coachman's voice!

Evelyn tried once more to climb to her feet. She reached out to grab ahold of something, anything, to steady herself when the carriage door was ripped open, bringing forth a gust of cold night air and rain!

"Help--!' she tried to cry out.

A large cold, wet hand clasped over her mouth and jerked her against a damp, foul smelling, rough figure. Male figure! She couldn't see him, but his foul breath made her eyes water more than even his pungent body odor as his huge, hulking figure forced her to the ground. And he was whispering, wet and lustfully: "Pretty, pretty!" in Evelyn's ear.

Evelyn gasped and pushed hard against the immovable creature when his cold slithering tongue touched her and licked her from her chin to her temple. It was intolerable that this creature was violating her so! There was no time for her to register fear. No time to gather her wits. Just act! She bite down on the clammy, leathery hand! Hard!

Her assailant cried out a high-pitched shrieking cry but he held her firmly to him.

"He means to kill me!" she thought wildly and uttered a blood curling scream. She was lost!

At that moment, the carriage door flew open again and Evelyn once more felt the cold, wet air. One moment the large reeking body was pressing down on her, the next moment he gave an angry cry and tumbled backwards as he was yanked from her!

It seemed as though the world was in an uproar! Evelyn squinted her eyes to the blustery wet rain and saw the edge of a pair of worn and dirty boots kicking out as he was dragged out of the carriage door. The carriage lurched again and Evelyn let out a shriek as she pitched forward once more; face first into the opposite bench. Even with the leather padding she felt her forehead strike the hard frame beneath. Her mouth flooded with a minerally taste and wetness dribbled down her chin. Then pain in her mouth. She must have bitten the inside of her mouth.

Just outside the carriage, there were shouts of anger and fear, and the dull thud of fist striking skin again and again.

And then a terrifying guttural cry, followed by a terrible crashing sound!

Evelyn blinked rapidly, stunned by the blow to her head. Her head felt heavy and her eyes refused to focus.

Gentler hands reached around her shoulders now. A familiar kind face, full of concern was speaking to her. "Are you badly hurt?"

Evelyn smiled weakly at the familiar deep masculine voice. Where has she heard it before. Her head felt odd and her body refused to move. Everything seemed to whirl and sway around her. She was being lifted and carried. When Evelyn could see again she thought she saw the pale and somber face of Lord John Mallory, Marquis of Davenport hovering over her before it all turned to darkness.