End of a Era Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers

"No need to call me sir. My name's Sean and I'll call you Johnny. If that's alright with you."

The three ordered dinner and Maggie began her questions. When the food was brought to the table, Sean told Maggie to let the poor man eat before his food gets cold. After dinner Sean had a suggestion.

"I have some paper work that must be completed this evening and I can see that Maggie isn't half way done with her questions. May I suggest you come back to the house with us and stay the night. That way you and Maggie can talk until all hours."

"Thank you Sean. It'd sure beat sleeping on those hay bales."

"Let's get your horses and gear up to our stable and you two can talk as long as you want," Sean suggested.

Arriving at the Dempsey's Johnny put his horses in their stable and joined Maggie in the parlor. Two pots of coffee and several hours later Maggie called a halt.

"I've gotten a good start tonight Johnny but it's after midnight and I can hardly keep my eyes open. Let's continue after breakfast tomorrow."

Johnny nodded and Maggie showed him to his bedroom. Dang, ain't talked that much in two or three years combined, he thought and he went to bed.

He was up at first light and made his way to the kitchen; he thought he'd put on a pot of coffee for everyone. Johnny was surprised to see Sean sitting at the table with a cup of coffee in front of him.

"Coffee's on the stove, if you've a mind for some," Sean greeted him.

"Surprised to see you up this time of the morning," Johnny said as he refilled Sean's cup and poured one of his own.

"I spent a lot of years gettin up at daybreak when I was a lumberjack," Sean replied. "Never did get over the habit. He took a sip of the hot coffee and asked, "Did Maggie and you get a lot done last night? I know you two were still going at 10."

"Yes sir." Johnny smiled. "She sure asks a lot of questions, don't she? I think she knows what I had for breakfast every day for the last 40 years." He and Sean both laughed.

"We'll pretty well finish up my life story today. But we'll have to take some breaks," Johnny complained with a smile. "I'm not use to talkin that much."

Maggie joined them. "I'll fix some breakfast for us and then we can get started again," she said as she turned to the ice box.

"Yes 'em," Johnny said winking at Sean behind her back. "Anything you say Miss Dempsey."

She turned to face him, saw that he was teasing, and laughed. "Okay. Would it be alright if we continued after breakfast Mr. Burrows?"

"Yes 'em Missy. It would be my pleasure."

While Maggie fixed breakfast Johnny wrote a letter he wanted to mail before he left Portland. Though she was as curious as a cat, Maggie refrained from asking who he was writing to.

They talked, or rather Johnny talked and Maggie asked questions until midday. After lunch, Maggie suggested they take a short break.

"Good, my voice could rest a spell," Johnny responded. "Think I'll ride over to the post office and mail that letter I writ this morning."

He could see that Maggie wanted to ask who he was writing to but was too polite to bring it up. "It's to an old friend down San Diego, California way," Johnny told her holding up the letter. "He's about the only friend I got that's still kickin."

Johnny mailed his letter and stopped at a saloon for a quick beer; it was a different saloon than the one he'd been arrested in. Better get back fore Missy comes looking for me, he said to himself after one beer.

When he got back to the Dempsey's, Maggie was sitting on the porch swing waiting, impatiently. "Well, let's get back to work," she said and motioned Johnny into the house. He smiled, put his horse away and followed her into the parlor.

They stopped around 5 for supper and then went back to work. Just after 8, Maggie stretched and put her notebook down.

"That brings us up to your fight in the saloon so I guess we're done Johnny."

"Just in time Missy. I need to leave tomorrow or the Marshal will try to put me in jail again," Johnny replied with an evil little grin. "He wouldn't get it done but I don't want the ruckus."

Sean came into the parlor to join them. He handed Johnny a glass almost full with an amber liquid. "That's pure old Kentuck sippin whiskey," he said in a put on southern drawl. "Reckon your mouth should be tuckered out by now. This will help you recover." Sean lifted his own glass in a toast to Johnny.

"Where you headed tomorrow?" Sean asked.

Johnny finished his whiskey and looked thoughtful. "You know I been up here for nie on to 14 year and I've never seen the Pacific Ocean. Reckon I'll ride over to Cape Meares and see it for myself."

"That a long way Johnny," Maggie offered.

"From what folks tell me it's about 50 mile or so. That's about a two day ride if I don't run into trouble or bad weather."

"You can make that ride in two days?" Maggie asked.

"Yes 'em. I won't take my pack animal, no need for that short of ride. So I'll make good time," Johnny replied.

"How long you plan to stay?"

"No more than a day or two. Got to get headed south pretty quick," Johnny answered. He could see a gleam in Maggie's eye and asked her, "Why?"

"That means you'll be back in Portland in five or six days," Maggie replied. "If you stop and see us," pointing to her father, "I'll have a copy of the story for you. You can read it on the trail."

"I was hopin to leave Buck here with you and pick him up on the way through. If that's okay with you Sean."

"That's fine Johnny. Besides Maggie would have my hide if she didn't get to show you her work."

********************

Seven days later, late in the afternoon, Johnny Burrows stopped his horse William in front of the Dempsey's house. Before he could dismount Maggie came running out to greet him.

"What took you so long?" She asked all excited. "I've been waiting for two days."

"Just this side of Cape Meares I ran into a fellar I knowed up in Washington and we had to visit for a spell," Johnny answered. He didn't want to tell her that he and his friend spent an evening trying to drink a whole jug of whiskey. Can't drink like I used to, he thought. Took me most of the next day to get over it.

"Well come into the house; you're just in time for supper. Clean up a bit and join Daddy and me in the dining room," Maggie ordered. "After supper I've got something to show you."

Sean stood as Johnny entered the dining room. "Welcome back, come sit and eat. You look like you could use a good meal."

"Thank ye Sean. I rather eat one of Maggie's home cooked meals a sight more than trail food."

As the three ate supper Johnny told them about his visit to the Pacific Ocean. At the end of his story of his trip he said, "Whole bunch of water, ain't it? Never seen such a sight before."

They spent a long time at supper talking. Later sitting on the front porch they had an after supper coffee while Sean and Johnny each smoked a cigar.

"Where you going next Johnny?" Sean asked. "You're welcome to stay here with us as long as you care too."

"Oh please stay," Maggie added.

"Thank ye Sean, that's right nice of you," Johnny responded. He leaned toward Maggie and said, "Can't stay Missy. I'd go plum loco living in a big town like this. Guess I spent too many years alone up in the mountains to like a bunch of people around all the time. Besides I'm overdue; I gave the judge my word to get out of here days ago."

He took a sip of his cooling coffee and smoked his cigar for a minute and thought about his destination. "A while back I got a letter from my friend Clint Hobart, he used to run wagon trains along the Santa Fe Trail, anyways he said a mutual friend, Josh Kelly, has a ranch over to Colorado. Thought I might drop by and see him. It's been, let's see....nigh on to 14 years since we saw each other. He was just a youngster, about your age Maggie, when I met him."

Johnny seemed lost in thought for a minute. "Member that fellar William I told you about?" At Maggie's nod he continued. "Back in Missouri it were, where he kept me from gettin a beatin. Well Josh is his son. I met the boy when he signed on with one of Hobart's wagon trains. Bout 18 years old he were. Rode with him for two days I did. Never met a youngster with such a good head on his shoulders. We became good friends in those two days."

"Where's Mr. Kelly's ranch Johnny?" Maggie always the inquisitive reporter asked. "Colorado's a big place."

"Clint said Josh had settled in the Chico Basin, near a town called Fountain. It's about a half days ride south of Colorado Springs," Johnny told them so they'd have an idea of where he was going.

"When you plan on heading out?" Sean asked, hoping Johnny might stay for a few more days. He enjoyed talking to the old mountain man.

"Reckon, I'll head out at first light," Johnny said smiling at Maggie's disappointed look. "Missy, I can't get there if I don't get started."

Johnny finished his coffee and cigar. "Better get some rest if I'm leaving at daybreak."

"Just a minute Johnny, I still have to give you my surprise," Maggie said. "I'll be right back."

Johnny looked at Sean as he smiled and shook his head. Maggie came bouncing back onto the porch.

Handing Johnny a newspaper she said, "My story about you was a big hit. See it starts on the front page and continues on page two." Maggie was almost jumping up and down in excitement.

"We had to print extra copies because people heard about the story from their friends and wanted to read it for themselves. You're a celebrity Johnny."

"All the more reason for me to get gone," Johnny replied. "Can't abide folks makin a fuss over me." He took Maggie's hand. "I'll read this at night on the trail. Thank you for your interest in an old man Missy."

Maggie threw her arms around Johnny and hugged him. "Thank you for giving me the chance to do a real story," she said with tears in her eyes. She turned and went back into the house.

"You've made quite an impression on her Johnny," Sean said and shook his hand. "Thank you, I haven't seen her this happy in years. Just so you know I hear that other papers out here in the west are picking up the story and printing it too."

Johnny shook his head and laughed. "Who'da thought that one little girl could reach so many people." Waving his hand Johnny went up to his room.

When he came downstairs the next morning, Johnny was surprised. He'd thought he's slip out before anyone got up. Instead Sean and Maggie were both waiting on him. Sean smiled and gave him a metal flask. "It's got some who-hit-john in it, for those cold nights on the trail."

Maggie handed him a bundle. "Some fried chicken and corn pone, at least your first night you won't have to eat trail food." She hugged him and teary eyed ran back upstairs.

Johnny, followed by Sean, stepped onto the porch. Johnny's horses, William was already saddled and Buck with his pack saddle waited for him. He thanked Sean with a nod, walked to William, and mounted.

"Won't say goodbye," Johnny said to Sean. "The Sioux always say 'some time again. Some time again, Sean."

Johnny turned his horse into the sun toward Colorado.

To be continued...

woodmanone
woodmanone
2,297 Followers
12