Enter the Cat Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,328 Followers

"We need the man power on the ground," Dwayne says. "We are running the chance of ending up exhausted if there is a sudden rise in stray numbers or trouble of some kind."

I nod as I consider his remark; it's true we need more warriors to rest anyone over worked or replace those carrying injuries.

"You got anyone in mind you would like to work with," I ask him.

I notice that Pete is talking quietly with Steven and I frown as it occurs to me that Steven has no blood family here at the compound. Close as we are, I know there is no replacement for the closeness that can only be shared by family members.

"Justin has been joining in sparring with me lately. He wants me to ask you and Wade about him becoming a warrior," Dwayne says quietly.

"I would have thought it would be Donny wanting to join in the fighting," I say amused.

"No, Donny wants to study law," Dwayne tells me. "Justin is pretty good too."

"You wouldn't want someone with a lot more experience," I ask glancing at him.

"Justin gets mad easily but he keeps his head," Dwayne says and gives a faint shrug. "I suppose if you don't want him working under you I can think of several toms who might consider coming here to work."

"It's your choice," I say dismissively. "You are the one who would be his partner."

"Well he listens and is a good solid fighter," Dwayne says with a nod.

"I guess I better speak to Wade then," I announce knowing Wade would want my approval of Justin joining one of the teams and it is ultimately a decision I must put to Wade as Alpha for his approval.

"What do you think of Robby Inness and Mikkarl Willoughby," I ask because I value Dwayne's opinion. He is the second oldest of the warriors and is an astute judge of character.

"From what Maurice Donnelly, who they are working for at present has said, they make one hell of an effective team," Dwayne admits. "Don't know Mikkarl and don't like Robby. There's something about that tom - not sly, more shifty."

"Robby isn't like either Chris nor Malcolm, that's true," I admit, "and what I remember of Mikkarl as a youngster, he was a handful for his parents to control. Maybe Dave Black and Drew Dorrington would be a good team to have here."

"I don't know that Kurt would let them go," Dwayne remarks as Sam joins us. "What do you think Sam? Do you think Kurt Black would let his son Dave and Drew Dorrington work for another Alpha?"

"Drew recently went to work for Alan Cummings. Seems Cummings got rid of a couple of toms who are rumoured to have gotten a local girl pregnant. She didn't name just one single guy she had been with; apparently she was supposedly seeing both of them at the same time," Sam tells us.

"Wonderful - another child to be kept a watch on. Warriors should know better," I exclaim in annoyance. "What about Dave? Has he got a new partner yet?'

Sam glances at Dwayne before answering. "I believe so. You looking for a partner now?"

"I got someone in mind," Dwayne says with a shrug.

"We were talking about adding another two toms," I tell him.

"There's a few looking to move to new jobs," Sam says, "Danny and Mick Francis, Patrick and Neil Baxter at the moment."

"What do you think of Robby Inness and Mikkarl Willoughby," I ask.

"Damn good team; both of them are easy to get along with and Mikkarl is said to be a real good cook," Sam says. "Don't know if they're looking to change jobs."

"Food's cooked - come and get it," Timny calls from the kitchen.

"Wow, we got here just in time for tea," Donny yells as the screen door is allowed to slam and I hear hurried steps in the hallway.

Justin follows Donny into the room and both head for the kitchen where most of the warriors are helping themselves to food. Dwayne signals to Justin to stop when he goes to pass us and Justin glances between us curiously.

"You want something," Justin asks as he looks at Dwayne.

"I mentioned to Micah how you've been doing a bit of sparring with me lately when I work out," Dwayne tells him evenly.

Justin looks my way and I am surprised at the maturity in his gaze as he meets my eyes squarely.

"Dwayne suggested you might be interested in becoming a warrior," I say evenly.

"I'm very interested in becoming a warrior," Justin confirms.

"I'll be talking to Wade in the next day or two," I tell him. "I don't know how he is likely to feel about it."

A disturbance in the kitchen catches my attention as Malcolm and Pete argue over the end cut of roast; Steven heads their way and I turn my attention back to Dwayne and Justin.

"Is that Rosy," Mitchell asks sounding very strained.

I look his way at her name, but he is distracted, looking at Pete like he is about to rush at him when I hear her slightly tinny sounding disembodied voice.

I realise with surprise that her voice is coming from the phone Pete holds as Mitchell hurriedly talks to her. There is a very reserved sound to her voice but it disappears after Donny calls out to her asking if she still has her spots.

I join in the conversation speaking to Donny but not directly to Rosy. She sounds tense and uncomfortable. I want to grab Edwin and shake him when he flirts with her, making her laugh and sound more relaxed. I find myself talking to her and we can hear her moving around.

She says she has a place to live and I am glad to know she feels secure enough to admit it. Too soon she is ending the conversation and then the line goes dead. Her last words were to Mitchell wanting him with her.

My inner cat bristles angrily. We want, we need more than the knowledge she is alive. We need to know she is doing more than existing; we need to know she will be all right.

* * * * *

I expected Wade to give some resistance to Justin becoming a warrior but he was in full support of Justin's desire to become a warrior and gave his permission without delay. That piece of news had been the only bright spot in my day.

The tractor being used to turn the mown grass so it could dry before bailing as hay developed a grinding when changing gears. It sounded as if there was something wrong with the clutch so that meant I had to help Sam and Mitchell take the gearbox out of the tractor.

We finally finish wrestling with reluctant bolts and have the tractor pulled apart when Steven arrives on one of the quad bikes with an esky that I assume holds our lunches.

"Don't everyone smile at once," Steven says as he gets off the bike. His smile nearly splits his face in half and I grimace as I glance his way.

"There better be food in that esky," Sam says flatly and Steven raises his eyebrows at him.

"Why bother with food," Steven asks brightly. "I only brought it out here to pacify Jazzy. She was worried Mitchell would faint from hunger."

I open the esky and lift out a container that is foggy with steam; I let out a sigh of satisfaction at the aroma that escapes as I open the lid to reveal thick chunky stew.

"So do you want the gossip before or after you eat," Steven asks brightly.

"Tell us while we eat," Sam growls then begins shovelling stew into his mouth. He alternates between the stew and mouthfuls of crusty bread.

"One of you would choke for sure," Steven laughs. "I don't know the Heimlich thing and I ain't doing mouth to mouth."

I stop eating to frown at my partner; something has put him in extremely high spirits. Steven glances between us and I guess the other two are watching him as well because he gives a satisfied smirk.

"Wade got a phone call from Baxter Barnes; he saw Rosy in town for a second time. Was close enough to speak to her, but she didn't speak to him just watched him suspiciously. She looked healthy and was buying up on food," Steven announces.

"That means she is probably somewhere in the Border Ranges National Park," Sam is quick to say.

Even as Sam says it I realise this would be the most likely place she is. The National Park is within easy distance of Nimbin where Baxter lives.

"But that's No Man's Land," Mitchell says distressed.

"The land there would suit her down to a T," I say slowly and the others turn their heads to look at me. "A lot of heavy cover, remote, very few people. A lot of small game, natural water sources."

"Practically no other werecats around," Steven adds after nearly a minute. "She probably was surprised to find out Baxter was there in town."

I barely listen to the talk between the others as I eat my food. My mind is working over time and the more I think about Rosy the more I feel like I am missing something important.

"I said," Sam says stressing the words and I look at him to find him watching me, "Mitchell and I can handle the repairs on the tractor from here if you need to go and take care of other things."

"Yeah," I say, "yeah I might as well head back. I am sure there are things that need my attention."

"We can go and check to see if Edwin and his team finished replacing those posts along the western side of the front paddock," Steven says sounding like he expects them to be still working.

"Sure," I agree vaguely, "I want to stop by the quarters and check something out first."

When we have all finished eating, I help pack away the used containers and change over the nearly empty water bottle for a full cold bottle from the esky. With a quick check that both Sam and Mitchell have fully charged mobile phones I help Steven fasten the esky in place before I climb on the dirt bike I had ridden out here.

The ride back to the main buildings is quick and I take note of the condition of the crops in the paddocks as we pass. At the quarters I head inside and get my work diary from where I left it in my beside drawer unit. I flick back through the pages looking for something. Not sure what I am looking for I carefully scan my notes until I come to the entry where I record returning home to find Rosy here the second time.

Sure I have noted something important, I carefully read each entry. The date Pete captured her - Doc's concerns on her state of mind, her pregnancy. I stop as I come to the page where I recorded Alex's death and suddenly it hits me. The chain of events starts to fall into place in my mind, each one leading to the next event connecting it all together.

I skim forward to my note of Rosy having lost her kitts and check the date; I silently count the months forward and grin as the last piece of the puzzle falls into place. Rosy wanted Mitchell with her when she said goodbye, she wanted to go hunting, wanted to talk to us even though she had been hesitant.

"That's it," I exclaim aloud.

"What's it," Steven asks from the doorway.

"The phone calls! I know why Rosy needed to talk to Pete," I say as I put the diary back in its place and turn to face Steven. I listen for a few moments but there is no sound to say anyone else is in the quarters.

"It is getting close to six months since Rosy lost her kitts," I say and can't stop myself licking my lips in anticipation as I run a hand back through my hair.

"She's on heat," Steven exclaims excitedly.

"She didn't sound like it the other night," I tell him, "But maybe her cat is getting restless."

"Damn! She asked for Sam, Edwin and Mitchell's numbers. Think she'll call one of them when she is on heat," Steven asks.

"Shit!" he exclaims as his eyes widen and he clenches his jaw before speaking again. "That is why Edwin was in such a good mood earlier! He's been counting months, he's guessed as well."

"Maybe your brother will get a taste of the good life real soon," I say and can't help feeling the anger that rises in my cat. "That is if Rosy has worked out none of us are like the strays she has come across."

"Shit! I hadn't thought of that," Steven says and a slow grin spreads across his face. "I think I better warn Pete. He might need to get supplies in so there is no ..."

I frown as his voice trails off but I know what he is thinking, and what he means, and I have to agree with him. Especially after the way Rosy prepared to end her pregnancy, I didn't want to hear she panicked and ended up harming herself because she became pregnant again.

"How about we go check up on Edwin and his team," I ask. "Edwin is probably dragging the job out as long as he can."

"Bikes," Steven asks as he heads out into the sunroom.

"Might as well," I agree as I follow him.

The ride out to the fence line where Edwin and his team are working passes quickly and I am surprised to find the group packing away tools as Steven and I stop our bikes.

"Finished," I ask as Edwin turns around and looks in our direction.

"Yeah, we have a bit of a problem," Edwin announces as he walks over to us. "There are plenty of signs further along the fence showing we have pigs running around. I was just about to send Timny and Chris back with the jeep while Malcolm and I took our bikes to see if we could find them, get an idea of what we are dealing with."

"Good idea," I agree. "Steven and I will go along with you pair. Never can be too careful as far as wild pigs go."

"The ground is pretty torn up in several spots, so either there are quite a few pigs or they were finding plenty of food," Malcolm answers as he walks over to join us.

"Well we better make plans to clean them out. Justin, Donny and Jazzy have been wanting to go hunting every chance they get lately," I say with a worried frown.

"It's about time we started taking Justin with us every time we go hunting," Edwin says firmly.

"We need to make sure there are no big boars first," I say as I meet his eyes. I give him a firm look to remind him who is the head warrior causing him to look away before I glance at Malcolm and Steven.

"I spoke to Wade this morning," I say and Edwin glances back at me. "Justin will be joining the warriors; Dwayne wants him as a partner."

"It's about time," Edwin says tightly. "Justin should have been brought in after Alex died."

I look at Edwin amazed by his insensitivity; Dwayne had needed time to get over the loss of his partner and brother. We all formed close bonds with our partners, becoming closer than mere brothers. We rely on them to watch our backs when we work; we trust them with our lives and losing someone so close was a terrible blow for a warrior.

"We better keep an eye open for any heavily pregnant sow or one with young piglets," Steven breaks in and I glance towards him glad of the interruption.

"Yeah," Malcolm agrees, "can't have our newest warrior getting injured before he starts working."

"Hopefully there will be plenty of half to three-quarters grown piglets so we can have a decent hunt to celebrate Justin joining the ranks," I say as a lighter mood grips me.

"Well there are plenty of tracks left behind," Edwin says and I am glad to notice he doesn't seem intent on turning things into an argument.

"Any special instructions," Chris calls from the jeep and I look over to where he and Timny are ready to head back to the buildings.

"Yeah," I say and hear the low-pitched growl that comes from Edwin about my authority over his team. "Tell Wade what you guys found so he can make sure no-one comes out this way without knowing the possible danger. Let him know us four are going to take a closer look to see what pigs are there and we should be able to figure out the best course of action between us."

I turn my head to look at Edwin and he is watching me with obvious anger. "You got any special orders for your warriors," I ask.

"Get Sam and Mitchell back to the quarters. We'll need to go after the pigs this afternoon otherwise they could catch our scent and scatter," Edwin orders.

"Yeah I agree the pigs are more important than the tractor," I say when Chris and Timny glance at me for confirmation.

I watch as they drive off at Edwin's nod and then head towards the bikes. All four of us start our bikes and Edwin leads the way to where they found the signs of the pigs. We follow the trail they left until Edwin slows and halts his bike. We stop behind him and he gives the hand signal that tells me he wants us to leave the bikes here and move forward on foot.

I turn my bike off and leave my helmet hanging from the handlebars as I move to stand beside where Edwin is standing by his bike. He points to a patch of disturbed soil not far ahead of us.

"That was disturbed not too long ago. The top hasn't dried out totally," He says as he sniffs the air. I follow his example and the pungent odour of pig urine and faeces becomes obvious.

The four of us begin following the torn up earth on foot, and half a mile further on we come to a small cleared flat in between two medium sized hills. A small creek runs down one side of the flat and along the edges in the lush green growth is the mob of pigs.

The vast majority of them are white with several black pigs mixed among them. The black ones predominantly have the white belt around their bodies just behind their front shoulders that give the breed the name Saddleback.

"There's a big boar over by the reeds on this side of the creek," Malcolm whispers quietly and I focus on the area he mentioned.

I soon spot the huge male pig digging in the rich soil beside the water as he creates himself a mud wallow. I see one large sow clearly pregnant not far from the boar; I note she is nearly all black with only a white blaze on her face.

"Big black sow with the white on her face is pregnant," I remark.

Grunting and squealing breaks out below us and for a moment I am worried we have been discovered until two saddlebacks emerge from the trees on the far side of the creek. They wade across the creek and join the mob amid noisy squealing. The front pig stops and the second much larger one rushes to mount it on this side of the creek.

"Randy bastard," Malcolm laughs and I glance at him to see him looking at Edwin who is scowling as he watches the pigs.

As the pigs around the mating pair move I notice several clearly pregnant females and the rest of the group appears to be made up of juvenile pigs. I hear Steven shift beside me and glance his way; he meets my eyes and grins before looking back at the pigs. I frown as I realise he is probably thinking that his brother Pete could be getting lucky about now as well.

"I make it two large males and five, possibly six mature females," I say quietly.

"I like them odds much better," Edwin growls beneath his breath as he spares each of us a glance.

I hold his gaze as it connects with mine so that he is aware that I know exactly what he is thinking about. He flushes angrily and I can't prevent the smile that forms before I turn my attention back to the pigs.

* * * * *

I turn my head to watch as Wade walks to the front of the group gathered at the top of the hill. Dwayne is impatient to start the hunt and it shows as he lashes his tail from side to side. Edwin stands not far behind our father and it strikes me how similar their

builds are in cat form. They both have the thick, heavy, shoulders and neck of an older tomcat.

I know Edwin's frame is packed with muscle and as he turns his head to glance my way I see the calculating intelligence in his eyes. Malcolm walks up beside him to peer at the pigs along the riverbank below. A sensation of movement on my other side and I glance that way to see Sam and Mitchell side by side as they stand in the cover of shadows cast by thick trees as they study the prey below. I feel Steven brush against my tail as he moves around behind me and I don't need to look to know he has moved into position by my left shoulder.

Wade gives a soft grunt and all eight of us slink forward to move down the brush-covered hill stealthily. We move into our pre-determined positions in pairs, Dwayne paired with Wade so neither misses out on this exciting hunt. All except Mitchell are large heavy cats, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in sheer savage ability during the kill.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,328 Followers