All Comments on 'Everything for the Career Ch. 06'

by HeavyHeartLaments

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
Harryin VAHarryin VAover 13 years ago
Brillant so far but there is NO crisis here...

you have taken forever for this story to move along but the last several chapters have been.... well..... BRILLANT.

The lines about the greatness of spring after a harsh winter... and catching erself when she would slip into corporate mode instead of Human mode... all VERY WELL DONE.

BUT there is no real crisis here ... all Jenny has to is talk to Arthur.

TALK TO HIM.

Jenny doesnt get that yet. ARTHUR IS HER PARTNER IN LIFE.

Jenny needs to learn to trust Arthur.... Arthur has never said that she cannot have a career

Of course Arthur is NOT going to make a stink about Missing his Birthday... IF they BOTH go to China and save thousands of jobs. That is NOT the kind of man arthur is.

before Jenny was striving for herself ONLY.

Now she is triying to save JOBs and lives and families. They are NOT the same thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Sorry

It took me a page to realize the thought flow is stilted. The language is contrived. And too much internal searching that lead nowhere. Uninteresting enough that I will not continue to the end, and I won't go back to read the previous chapters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Simple choice

He's a tired old man dieing in bed. Everyone outside wants him to save them, but no one seems to fear his passing because thry love him.

He runs a bank and he gives them jobs. They can get new jobs, can he get the years of his life back?

This is arthurs point all along. Life, love, family needs to come first. Banks, jobs, work are what we do to support the life love family and not the other way around.

This is a test for Jenny. Does she get pulled back in for just a crappy bank, a corporation, a non living thing, or does she chose her husband and life?

Each person at the bank does depend on it for a job, but there are other jobs. Each person is responsible for their life, jenny's not responsible for them. They are employees not slaves that will be killed and burried with their master when he dies.

So the choice is really, does Jenny really mean it when she chooses arthur, or not?

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Good as usual

but not exactly riveting , the emotions just were not there in this one . It flowed very well but feel like this was a build up chapter , no problem if it is . The husband needs to realize the old saying " Once , shame on YOU , Twice , shame on ME ! " . This guy willingly did 15 years of " shame on me " . Yes , she did it ........but he allowed it . The problem is clearly 50/50 . Maybe he has low "T" ? , Either case he needs to suck it up , and let her do what she has to do to save the jobs of quite a lot of people , and the last wishes of a dying man . Arthur sucked it up for 15 years , whats two more weeks , one LAST time ? Not like he will not be with her this time around .The difference in this case is , she is not doing it for her self gain but to save the livelihood of other people . She fucked up for 15 years and now she gets it . But he was a wimp for 15 years as well . They inadvertently chose that lifestyle together , they are both to blame . Hope he becomes a man and lets her do what she has to do one last time , she needs to make them understand that this is the LAST time and go back to making up for the 15 years lost . She does absolutely owe him that , but like I said , this end situation is different than the last 15 years , and he needs to man up . You are one of the best !!!!!!! Keep on writing !!!!

DeckviewDeckviewover 13 years ago
Harry has it nailed!

This is the turning point for Jenny, going to Arthur as her partner to discuss what they need to do as a team.

roadbirdroadbirdover 13 years ago
either

stay married n tell him that his bank is fucked...or do what he wants n her marriage is fucked...seems as if a new bank should be on the horizon..or is it that arthur gets a new wife after all ...n she ends up dying because she took a job n not a hubby...well she could kill herself then all would know that they had fucked her up..all except hubby who just lost

jasonnhjasonnhover 13 years ago
Clear choice

I agree with Harry. The only choice she has to make is to discuss this with Arthur. He is the one who will decide what can be done. Jenny should place NO pressure on Arthur, simply explain the situation as it stands and express her feelings about it and the conflict she faces. Arthur will already realize the conflict she faces because that's the kind of guy he is. And he will support her going to China because that's the kind of guy he is AND because it IS a very different situation than the past. Further, when Jenny was trying to get back together with Arthur, Edwards stood strongly for Jenny getting her marriage back and leaving the bank. He stood with Arthur. Arthur should know that by now. As to the comment about manning up, Arthur has been an excellent man and husband. He has been deficient in NO way. He would certainly have concerns about the situation because just negotiating and then walking away is going to be VERY hard to do. Arthur will have very valid fears and he has already done 15 years of time. Saying he should "man up" is like telling a soldier who has survived a 100 battles how to fight. I think Arthur already knows how to be a man. And being a man doesn't mean falling over for the situation just because Jenny is conflicted. I liked this chapter and the reconciliation was nicely done. When Jenny first pulled up with the food I was suspicious that she was just role playing. I'm glad it went on with many more examples because I needed to be convinced as well as Arthur. I was. I saw a real and significant change in Jenny and that is what made the reconciliation OK. Great chapter.

curioussscuriousssover 13 years ago
Harry...

...is spot on in his simple solution and I don't need to elaborate.

I liked this chapter better than others.

Thanks

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Except that

Arthur is a passive-aggressive pussy , we are not talking about "King Arthur" here are we . She needs to do what she needs to do and he needs to not be an insecure vagina when she explains why she may need to do this , it's the honorable thing to do . I hope he sees it .

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
Cliffhanger, but with an easy out.

Jennifer must tell Authur the situation, and then tell Author that he is the head of the family, and that he has to decide what happens to it. Giving all the power to Arthur, shows that she is married to him, and not any carreer. Should they go to China to rescue the bank should be up to him.

m48gunnerm48gunnerover 13 years ago
Please

I am enjoying the story, but I do hope that you allow them to rebuild their marriage with a balance between work and home. I would hate to see the story end with a destroyed marriage and broken lives.

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 13 years ago
High drama . . .

. . . and I can well understand both the personal and the business aspects. Well done.

katibkatibover 13 years ago
Tear-Jerker

This is interesting and well-written; but it is wordy and at times repetitive to the point of being boring. The characters, despite having six or so chapters devoted to them, really are not deeply presented, but are shallow. What does Arthur really like? About what is he passionate? And the same questions could be directed at Jenny. Both have one-track minds with about as much depth as a sheet of cardboard. Perhaps the final chapter can bring it all together. I hope so.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 13 years ago
Both agree and disagree with Harry

Obviously, Jenny needs to tell Arthur what transpired in the hospital. OK, she leaves the decision up to him. Suppose he says, "It's OK, I understand, let's go to China, you need to do what you need to do." The problem is, what will Jenny do the following month when the bank has another crisis and can't do without her? And let's say Arthur goes to China with her, and she negotiates for however many days . . . she will be in meetings all day, rather than spending time with her husband on his birthday. Intense negotiations often include dinner meetings. Arthur obviously can't attend those, so their time together will only be the time they sleep. Arthur will tour the Great Wall by himself. He can speculate on the soil structure and piping necessary to keep the Wall strong.

Jenny's parents booked a trip to Switzerland for them -- I guess they must be pretty wealthy, because they will need to throw away thousands of dollars in non-refundable airline tickets if Jenny and Arthur go to China. Maybe the bank will reimburse them and write it off as a business expense. I understand the promise to an old friend on his deathbed. But what happens if Arthur says no, don't go? Jenny would feel guilt for the rest of her life, letting Stirling and the employees of the bank down when she might have negotiated a better deal for FCB. Jenny said it correctly -- damned if you do and damned if you don't. I only see a lose-lose situation here, and I will be interested in the way in which the author resolves this mess. Thanks for writing.

xtremeddxtremeddover 13 years ago
Arthur and Jenny take over running the bank. Only answer.

Only way to save them both......

HHL thanks for sharing with us on Lit.

x

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

She needs to tell Arthur and include him on the decision. Perhaps they can be partners in their marriage as well as in business.

C_frommnC_frommnover 13 years ago
Very Good Story

Like the way things are Going. Maybe if Jenny talks to Arthur he will go along and Help her to be Strong.

Then to go from Negotiations to Switzerland.

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Suddenly a cliff rears up in their idyl

I find Harry`s solution completely acceptable, but let's see what the author comes up with!

JusttooldJusttooldover 13 years ago
Great story

This story started out a bit slow for me but somhow it has grasped my interest and I can't wait to see what happens next. I am hopeing that they will make it but the way this story has gone so far I can see they might not. Don't keep us waiting to long for the ending.

curioussscuriousssover 13 years ago
Vulcan I respect your cautionary words and...

...of course this is fiction and the author may indeed write it as you say.

However I still think Harry has it right - he either remembered or rechecked Arthur's character from earlier episodes and came up with a damned good analysis. Previously she did all that stuff for herself and the bank. Now she is faced with a humane problem and Arthur is far from heartless. As I see it everything depends on how she approaches Arthur. It MUST be his decision but she needs to present the facts, include him in everything and get his permission and encouragement. She can still do what's needed as long as she continues to make Arthur the center of her personal world by whatever means she can so that he realizes she's not slipping back into previous obsessional behaviors.

At any rate, it's the authors story, and a good one, so we'll have to wait and see.

curioussscuriousssover 13 years ago
I just noticed HHL's announcement about the final chapter...

... "Everything for the career - the final conflict". I don't know how I missed it before but it would seem to portend a few fireworks before all is settled. Harry's solution is still the right one but Vulcan may be more correct in the way this will actually play out. After all, the story has to have some friction to make it not just fade away like a damp squib.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
A story with real meaning

This story may be fiction but it is one one of the very, very few on this site whcih actually says something important: your partner is the most important person in your life - treat them accordingly. And bugger me, if it isn't well written, too! Well done. Please don't be too long with the final chapter.

daveftworthdaveftworthover 13 years ago
Great story!

Often it is the husband that is so career centric to the point of losing the family. The question we are wondering--can they make it? It's your story and your choice on how it goes. Did he hear the comments from the others? Does he know what the bank is up against? After her explanation, I'd probably right in something like, "I won't go if you don't want me to. I won't go as an employee and I want you with me if I do. You know how to read people. I need you. They all need you. Then we'll go to Switzerland. I'll go only if you think I should." Of course-I'm not much a writer, but I do enjoy the dynamics and the emotion in the story. Thanks.

RePhilRePhilover 13 years ago
Brilliant story

Excellent story and writing. You have developed the charators beautifully so much so that I am actually hoping Author steps up to help her save the bank ..... Be daring go for it!

Mongo837Mongo837over 13 years ago
Dont count on it

Arthur is a vagina . Like I said above we are not talking about King Arthur are we . Some people in this world are the Knights , with drive , ambition and fortitude . And some are shop keepers , complacent , wanting better without the drive or ambition to get them there , coasting along in life until they can hang up their apron . This guy is a shopkeeper .It took this guy 15 years to grow a pair . WTF!!!!

kelly_kellykelly_kellyover 13 years ago
Oh dear...

Just when I thought it'll end with — "Happy ever after" — you came up with that twist, and what a twist! The description said "reconciliation" so that twist came as a surprise — I wasn't expecting it. I'm really looking forward for the — "final conflict".

~Kelly~

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Maybe just a tiny bit over the top???

"Save me, oh save me!" "Only you can save me!" "Save the divorcée with the two small children!" "NO ONE at a major world bank can save us but you!"

All that was missing from the hospital was a crippled Tiny Tim with broken crutches, "God bless us every one!".

I have to admit I do like the story though and, dang it anyway, can't wait to see how you resolve it. In any semblance of the real world a compromise would be reached but it's your story so have at it!

DWornockDWornockover 12 years ago
Nah!

No one is indispensible.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Even that she had to give it a thought meant the marriage was over

Why put him through more pain; get a divorce & move on. He will never accept now that he is #1 in her life.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
Wow

What else to say. Jenny has to go. Will Arthur understand? One last chapter. I hope it ends well.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Pompous,arogant, inept prattle.

Typical Pommy writer. Wimpy and gutless. Nothing more to say. "1" !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

I have read a lot of stories on this site in a lot of categories, but this is the only one that made me cry. Especially when he calls her jenny and she cries, i bawled like a baby. Dont listen to anons, its people like me that count. People whose hearts you touch.amazing. Well done.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 10 years ago
Loving it

Best chapter yet. The story really seemed to move along and become very engaging. Five stars.

FD45FD45about 10 years ago
This is what makes good writing

The author has his faults. MANY faults on his use of language. He badly needs an editor.

HOWEVER, even despite that, with this chapter, he embodies the things which make great writing.

It isn't necessary to make the EVILEST bitch in the world to make the reader emotionally engaged. It doesn't take Matt Moreau levels of humiliation, cock cages, women giving sloppy seconds, having another man's child.

All of these are bad, but there is an element of inhumanity in that style of writing which always makes the reader say 'whoa! Do I KNOW bitches that vindictive?"

But this! A simple couple on the cusp of dissolution and now a call by her mentor/father figure to save the most important thing in his life. No evil. Just a simple competition between two very real and sympathetic needs.

Kudos for this. I don't know if you will mess up the rest of the story (and I certainly didn't buy how Ms. Vice President suddenly became so empathetic overnight), but THIS conflict will be remembered and cherished.

rightbankrightbankabout 10 years ago
talk, talk, talk,

and more drama just for the sake of conflict.

negative, depressing, unhealthy people circling their collective drains.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 8 years ago
Second time through....

Thanks for the offering.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Thank you, man I would have been pissed if I had to wait 4 years for the ending

Well nuanced and thought out, great writing, I hope hubs lets her go to China.OldBearSwitch

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Cliffhanger

I have really enjoyed this story, the entire long thing. Let's end it.

tangledweedtangledweedover 4 years ago
OMG, what a soap opera of a story.

They forgot to throw a three legged dog into this sob story about how she is needed so desperately.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Blech. All her words to Arthur are meaningless crap (as he feared) if she goes back to save the Bank, because of course if she does, then everyone will need her to keep saving the Bank.

However, given this author's proclivities, I suspect at some point Arthur will nobly tell Jennifer to save the Bank and suffer in silence again until he finally understands that she is a seriously obsessive compulsive spoiled Princess. Except only the first part will make it into the next chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Gah my eyes! The last section about people at thr Bank all begging her to save their lives (not just jobs) was so painful to read. And the reconciliation was "the magic occurs here". This series went downhill fast...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous