Fae War Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CatBrown
CatBrown
311 Followers

Swallowing down the bile of anger and fear that threatened to rise into her mouth, Erin turned from the rising sun and watched the still dark forest around her. She liked having the lake at her back. It gave her a sense of security knowing that her enemies couldn't easily come at her from behind.

She bit back a smile that threatened to give too much away as she grounded her feet solidly and felt her fingers twitch with the energy of the land. 'Bring it!' she thought to herself, 'there's no time like the present.'

One by one Weres began to emerge from the trees. Several were large cats, their graceful gait full of contained power, and the rest were wolves, slinking along the tree-line, teeth barred, occasional snarls and low growls emitted from their throats. Once the Weres had her surrounded on the land, other beings began to materialize from the gloom: Spirits of the Woods, Elementals, and Fae. A quick estimate put their numbers at around eighty, significantly more than Erin's security force. She shuddered, but covered it by drawing calm from the placid water behind her.

Riahn strode forward, coming to within twenty feet of Erin before stopping. The look on her face was pure malevolence, her smile one of triumph.

"You are the stupidest royal in a very long line of stupid royals. Did you really think those shields were strong enough to cover more than a hundred miles of border? We breached them with hardly a twitch," Riahn began, pacing. "And to think it was this easy to track you and find you alone! Have you no sense at all?"

Erin remained silent, shielding her mind from those who were trying to breach it for information.

"We got your insulting invitation to sit down and negotiate," Riahn continued, "but I much prefer to take what I want by force. I have no interest in equality of representation," she spat out, "Were's and Elementals are the strongest Fae, and we intend on making the rules from now on."

"Really? Are you sure about that?" Erin asked, sarcasm slipping in even though she tried to keep it smooth. "My impression is that all Fae have strengths -- and weaknesses. I have come to believe we are only truly strong when we stand together."

Riahn covered her ears in exaggerated horror. "Listen to the platitudes! You sound like those weak humans that espouse non-violent protest and equality for everyone. There is no equality! You are only as strong as you are, and will only achieve what you want by taking it!"

Erin looked around at Riahn's gathered forces. She felt anger radiating from many, but there were those who seemed to be listening to her, so she addressed them, "Do you all agree? Do you each have enough strength to individually get what you desire for yourselves and your families?"

"Don't talk to them!" Riahn demanded. "I am the queen of this people, and you will speak to me only."

Erin turned back to Riahn, "But I am finished talking to you."

Riahn appeared abashed, then furious. "Who do you think you are to stand here, alone, surrounded by my people, and dismiss me? This war is over and I have won."

Erin smiled. As much as she tried she couldn't keep from gloating, "Really?"

Riahn glared, turning to the wolves she communicated telepathically and four large beasts moved forward and circled Erin. Riahn looked at a particular Elemental and said, "Now!"

The lake began to roil and a water spout formed, arcing and surrounding Erin before stilling and appearing as a glass dome over her with the wolves still pacing the inner perimeter.

Erin continued to smile, benevolently now.

Riahn let out a snarl before ordering, "Kill her!"

The wolves actually looked confused for a moment before two of them turned and started toward Erin. Erin continued to look mildly at Riahn as the first wolf lunged and was deflected without so much as a twitch from Erin. The wolf yelped pitifully as it flew at the wall of water and was deflected back to the ground where it landed with a heavy thud. The second wolf went for Erin's ankles, only to act as if an electric shock sent it flying back toward the water dome.

Riahn looked utterly confused, but snarled a new order at the elemental, "Drown her!"

The water began to implode toward Erin before she smiled again and the water was suddenly absorbed into the ground. The two wolves that had not attacked her backed away, teeth barred.

"I believe some of your so-called congress are interested in an egalitarian society," Erin began casually as she swept her arms out as if to hug the entire group. A buzz of energy surrounded them all, emanating from Erin's outstretched fingers. Riahn looked stupefied.

Erin's forces melted out of the forest and stepped casually into the electrical field, raising their arms as if to join hands around the perimeter. They glowed softly as they posed themselves equally along the field.

"You had the opportunity, Riahn, to bring this division to a peaceful end and possibly avoid many of the consequences for your actions, You chose to continue to use violence. Anyone who has not committed a crime is welcome to join us now with no retribution. Those guilty of acts of violence against Fairies or humans will stand trial and receive punishment for their crimes. It is time to choose."

The beings within the circle looked confused, glancing toward Riahn, then Erin, then the strange energy field surrounding them. An Elemental hovering near Erin moved first, bowing to Erin before stepping backwards into the force-field where he glowed softly like the others. Several others followed his lead and did like-wise.

A Were turned abruptly and bound toward a gap between the Fae encircling them. As he leapt to cross the circle a buzzing preceded a sizzling sound as the Were was thrown back into the circle, fur scorched and smoking. He landed in a heap and another Were rushed forward to nose at him, whimpering over his dead body.

"The guilty will pay for their crimes," Erin repeated simply.

The remaining Fae within the circle sat or lay upon the ground, submitting to the superior power of Erin and her forces. Riahn did not.

With a roar and a flash, Riahn turned into a panther and lunged at Erin, claws extended and mouth open in a terrifying scream. A collective gasp went up from everyone present, and, as if in slow motion, they watched as the large cat flew at the Queen. Erin shook her head sadly and closed her eyes just as the panther twisted in agony and plummeted to the ground, broken at her feet.

Erin gazed at the once majestic beast, a steely resolve in her continence. When she looked up at the remaining beings within the circle she saw true fear.

"You are all under arrest. You will be interrogated and go to trial. Your punishment will be decided by a panel of judges composed of every race of Fae. Do not resist and no one will be harmed." With that the force field dissolved and the security forces gathered the remaining Fae and began to lead them through the forest.

Several of the members of Riahn's group who had joined Erin in the circle began to come forward with questions, but Luka discouraged them from approaching the Queen now, telling them there would be a statement released shortly that would answer most of their questions.

Erin stepped forward and glided to her knees in front of the broken panther. She reached out a hand and stroked the silky fur. "What a waste," she murmured. "May the glory of the Fae always be protected from the avarice of a few." She continued to pet the dead leader as she cried softly.

************************

Within the week, everyone who wished to be had been evacuated from the rebel camp and situated on Council lands. One Were pack remained in the old camp, choosing to make it their home, and a family of Spirits remained as well. Several of the Were packs that had relocated to Council lands had applied for loans to start their own compounds nearby. Erin was strongly encouraging the very rich Fae to make those loans as a sign of good faith.

Franco returned to the Council. He forgave Erin for leaving him behind, even though she continued to feel awful about it. Even after his experience as a captive of Riahn's forces, Franco led the push to reintegrate all of the Fae into one society with equal rights and privileges. He declined a position as a judge for the war crimes tribunal, stating his role as a witness for the prosecution would involve him more than enough in the process.

Erin had been surprised by the willingness of the Elementals to come under her rule. She had learned that Elementals have a solitary nature, seldom socializing even with others of their own race. Because of this, their numbers were very low. They seemed pleased that all the new government asked of them is to keep them updated on where they chose to live, and to maintain secrecy from the human world. Beyond that, they had freedom their kind had been denied for centuries. It made some of the Fae nervous, but it made Erin very happy.

Elections would be held in June for a new council made up of representatives from each race. Erin hoped that eventually the elections would be truly free and open, not divided by race, but for now, this was a place to start.

Erin sat in her desk chair, turned looking out the window at the snow covered forest where the sounds of hammers cut the brisk air as members of her kingdom built homes on the lands nearby. When hands slid down her chest and a warm breath brushed her cheek, she sighed and closed her eyes.

"It's time for my Queen to take a vacation," Luka spoke softly beside her ear. "I have our tickets booked. We leave tomorrow for the Caribbean."

"Tomorrow?" Erin jumped, "I can't leave now!"

Speaking forcefully, Luka replied, "You will never think it is a good time to go. We leave tomorrow."

Erin started to argue, but realized Luka was probably right. Shrugging, she stood up and wrapped her arms around her mate, nuzzling into his neck. Nothing about their courtship and mating had been normal, but Luka insisted they take a honeymoon and act like regular people for a week. If she was honest, there was nothing she would rather do.

"All right, my love. We leave tomorrow."

Amazed at her capitulation, Luka swept her up in his arms and headed for their rooms, ignoring the shocked faces and giggles in the hallway. Closing the door behind him and locking it, he set Erin back on her feet.

"What was that all about?" Erin laughed.

"As of five minutes ago, you were relieved of your responsibilities to the kingdom," he said with conviction, "Your only responsibility for the next eight days is as my wife."

Erin couldn't help but laugh at the stern face Luka was giving her.

"So you don't take that responsibilities seriously, huh? We'll see how seriously you take them after I've tied you to the bed and tortured you for a few hours," he continued, scooping her up again and heading for their bedroom.

They both knew Erin was stronger, magically, and that keeping her tied up would be her choice entirely, but at this point, neither cared. Finally it was their time, and they didn't plan to waste a minute of it.

***************************************

I hope you enjoyed "Fae War". I plan to work on the second book of "Lesser Gods" as well as a few stand-alones I've got rolling around in my head for a while. I really appreciate your comments and encouragement, so please let me know your thoughts. I also wouldn't mind hearing from anyone with story ideas. My muse is sometimes sporadic.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote!

CatBrown
CatBrown
311 Followers
12