Fool's Gold: Claim Jumpers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Desiree nodded.

"Fair enough. I'll send Robbie to go fetch him. He took a hunting party up into Taylor Pass yesterday.

"Robbie!"

A tall, gangly man in his twenties came running. It was obvious that he was what would be called touched or slow. One eye was slightly cockeyed and he carried one arm oddly. He had a perpetual smile on his face that was contagious. It shone even brighter when he addressed Desiree.

"Yes, Miss Rae?"

"Go fetch Jeremiah. He took them up to Taylor's Pass."

"Yes ma'am," Robbie said grinning.

"And Robbie, make sure they hear you coming. Don't want them to shoot you by mistake!"

Robbie left quickly, but the others could hear him cackling as he ran.

"I expected them back tomorrow, but if Robbie finds them quick, they should be back in a couple hours. Y'all are welcome to wait inside, but those barking irons need to be left at the door. There's a chest just inside the door you can put them in and they'll be safe. Don't be bringing no guns into the house or I'll turn the dogs loose on you, hear?"

Everyone nodded and followed her into the house. Desiree watched closely as Thomas and the Swede put their sidearms into the chest.

As Abby entered the house, she was immediately taken back. The house was large and fancy, but the furnishings were ordinary and practical. The place looked more like a hunting lodge than a home.

"I've got some salt pork and biscuits I can warm up if y'all are hungry?" Abby stated flatly, obviously hoping no one would take her up on her offer.

"And gravy?" Zeb asked ignoring her tone.

"Gravy!" Moe squealed.

Desiree shot her father a dirty look.

"All right," Desiree snorted. "Pappy, you take them to the sitting room. I'll go get it started."

"That jug still hiding behind the rocker?" Zeb grinned.

Desiree huffed and turned to go back to the kitchen.

"May I help?" Abby asked softly.

"I don't need..."

"Me too!" I wanna help!" Moe yelled out, struggling to get out of her grandfather's arms.

Desiree sighed, looking at her daughter.

"All right, now I guess I do need the help."

While the men settled in the sitting room with a large jug of moonshine, Abby followed Desiree and her daughter back to the kitchen.

As Moe played with a small spoon and pot, Abby broached the awkward silence.

"She's beautiful," Abby stated as she stared at the little girl playing.

"She's a handful," Desiree responded. not looking up from her work.

"Is... is Jeremiah her father?" Abby asked softly.

Desiree stopped what she was doing and stared at Abby.

"No, Moe's daddy died before she was born. He worked in one of Mr. Jenkins and Haw Tabor's mines. The fever took him two weeks before I knew I was pregnant.

"I was helping Pappy at the Hotel View, back then. Then Mr. Jenkins built this fine house and hired my fat, pregnant butt to work here. I think he did it out of charity, but I was still grateful. That's when I really got to know Jeremiah. I'd seen him around Ashcroft several times before. He followed Mr. Jenkins out here from Leadville and worked a while in the mines.

"One day Jeremiah overheard one of the bookkeepers tell Mr. Jenkins something that didn't sound right. Jeremiah approached Mr. Jenkins later and told him his concerns. Turns out the bookkeeper was skimming some of the profits."

"Yes," Abby agreed, "Jeremiah was always good at his numbers and book learning."

"Well, Mr. Jenkins was impressed and moved him out of the mines and put him out here. I think so he'd look after me, but also so he could begin looking over the books from each mine. The things Jeremiah didn't understand he'd ask one of the other mine bookkeepers. He's found some things, nothing as bad as that man skimming, but things that have helped. He's done really well these past few years."

Desiree looked Abby and paused as if she was trying to determine if she should continue. Abby stared back and started to ask a very personal question.

"Are you ..." Abby began. "I mean..."

"Are me and Jeremiah a pair?" Desiree replied with a smirk. "Not for a while now. Up till a couple years back we was, though. Jeremiah helped me when I got so big with Moe that I could barely do the chores around here. He'd talk to me at night when I was lonely and looked after me. After Moe was born, he looked after both of us.

"He was so wounded when I first met him. Not on the outside, but inside. We helped each other, I think. But weren't lovers till a couple months after Moe was born.

"There was something tween us right from the beginning. We weren't making mooneyes at each other, but there was a kind of love. He's a damn good man but we weren't fixin' to spend our lives together. Still, I spent many nights in his bed and I doubt he had any complaints. Then Mrs. Tabor's big party happened and things changed a couple months after that."

"What happened then?" Abby asked softly. "Why did things change?"

"Jeremiah met someone, well..." Desiree stammered, "well... special."

"Who?" Abby asked, and immediately knew she'd gone too far. Desiree's eyes flashed and her body tensed. The look on her face turned cold and dangerous.

"What's it to you?" she snapped. "You threw him out like he was a piss bucket!"

"I didn't..." Abby started.

"Don't lie to me, you bitch!" Desiree growled. "I know who you are. When I first met him he was like a man going through each day, praying it would be his last. It weren't until Moe was born that I began to see life in his eyes again. So don't pretend you care about him. I know what you and those bastards sitting in there done to him, and it almost killed him."

"What I did?" Abby retorted loudly, her own anger building. "What about what he did to me?"

"And what did he do to you?"

"He cheated on me and got the girl pregnant!"

"Says who?"

"Says the girl he was cheating with!"

"And if she wasn't telling the truth?"

"Why would she lie?"

"I dunno, why would she lie? What possible reason would she have to do that?"

"She wouldn't!" Abigail yelled.

"Jeremiah was wrong," Desiree sneered, "you're not blind, you're dumb as a stump!"

"Hey!" Zeb yelled from the sitting room. "Y'all need any help in there?"

"Come into my kitchen, old man," Desiree yelled back, "and you'll have a skillet up side your head!"

Desiree looked over at her daughter, whose eyes were as big as saucers.

"Baby, go crawl in your Pappy's lap and ask him if he's going to hell cause he drinks so much like preacher man says."

"Okay, Momma," she said dropping her things and running into the sitting room. A few seconds later Zeb called out.

"That ain't right, Rae!"

"No, it weren't!" she called back. "So stay out of it!"

Turning back to face Abby she forced a smile that made Abby's skin crawl.

"Now where were we... oh yeah, you were going to tell me why you'd believe this woman instead of your husband. No wait! You didn't even give him a chance to defend himself, did you?"

"He disappeared for two months!"

"Did you even go looking for him or did you just go climb into bed with his brother that night?"

"That's not how it happened!"

"Well you better get your story straight and have a damn good explanation for Jeremiah when he gets back. Cause if you don't, he'll throw y'all off this here property regardless of how big that there Viking is in there!

Abby took a deep breath and swallowed her response. They needed to keep their talk with Jeremiah as calm as possible. If this was what was in store for them, then their confrontation with Jeremiah was going to be ugly.

Abby worked in silence along side of Desiree as they prepared and served the makeshift meal.

A few hours later, just before sundown, they heard the dogs announcing someone's arrival. Minutes later, they heard hushed voices outside. Abby realized Desiree had slipped out and was probably talking to Jeremiah before he came in. She was also probably letting him know that it was safe, as well.

Abby felt her stomach tighten with anticipation as soon as her ex-husband walked into the house. He looked much like he had five years ago, maybe a little leaner. He was no longer clean shaven, a look Abby had always preferred; instead, he'd replaced it with a trimmed moustache and goatee. Missing, as well, was the gentle smile and warmth in his eyes. Now those eyes were cold and hard.

'This was a fool's errand,' she thought to herself again.

It appeared Jeremiah was about to yell at them when he was interrupted.

"Mi-ah!" the little girl yelled out and threw herself at him. Without looking, he caught her and swung her around. Her squeal of delight brought a temporary smile to everyone. Jeremiah pulled her up into a big bear hug as she giggled. Abby felt a twinge of sadness as she remembered Jeremiah doing that same thing with Sarah when she was little.

"Moe, you little rascal, go find your momma," he laughed as he put her down. "She's outside with your Pappy and Robbie."

The little girl skipped out the door laughing as she went.

Jeremiah turned and glared at them. His look let everyone know that any joy had just left with that little girl.

"What do y'all want?" he said coldly.

"Mr. Hawthorne," Mr. Horace began, "We've come here with a proposal that I think you'll find quite beneficial to you."

"I remember you. You're King Henry's mouthpiece. Have you thrown any orphans or widows out in the street this month? I figured you got some kinda bonus for doing that type of thing since you've sold your soul to the Devil!"

"Mr. Hawthorne, I assure you..."

"Stop right there," Jeremiah interrupted. "Your assurance means nothing. I'd trust a rattlesnake before I'd trust anyone one of you.

"Be that as it may, sir, I believe we have a business proposal that will benefit everyone."

Jeremiah's laugh lacked any mirth.

"So, King Henry finally found out he didn't control the ranch? Found out about the livery stable in Leadville, did he?"

"Well yes. We were all quite surprised..."

"I'll bet you were! My old man might have been a little touched in the head when he came home from the war, but he could still smell a skunk. He had that bank up in Leadville loan him the money to partner with someone he knew from the war and buy that livery. He staked a majority share of our ranch against that loan.

"Each month, the profits would be split with our share going to payoff that loan and still provide a stipend for Momma after he died. That way she'd have a steady stream of money, regardless of what happened to the ranch.

"He set it up in both mine and Momma's names since he knew I wouldn't run off and abandon her," Jeremiah said looking over at Thomas. "He would've left it to both of us if you'd stayed around."

"I never wanted to stay on the ranch," Thomas stated.

"When you left though, you broke both Momma's and Abby's hearts."

"I needed to leave and go out on my own."

"I got no issue with that. Course that didn't stop you from coming back and staking a claim on someone who wasn't yours, ain't that right dear brother?"

"Gentlemen please!" Horace exclaimed. "This isn't helpful."

"Who said I was trying to be helpful?" Jeremiah barked.

"Mr. Hawthorne I realize you are angry and feel you were wronged."

"I WAS wronged! I was stabbed in the back by those I loved and trusted. Now why are you here?"

"Please Jeremiah!" Abby blurted. "Please hear us out."

"Like y'all heard me out?"

Abby flushed, before speaking very gently.

"You're right; what happened the day you left was wrong. Things were bad and then got worse. I'm sorry for how we all seemed to attack you. You, Thomas and me need to sit down and talk some of this through. There's a lot to be said from all of us.

"But first you need to hear what Mr. Horace is proposing so we'll all have our cards on the table. Please, Jeremiah, please just hear him out?"

"All right," Jeremiah growled and walked over to a chair, "let get this over with."

Sitting down, he watched as everyone found a place to sit.

"You, mouthpiece," he said, as he continued looking at Mr. Horace. "How you gonna bribe me this time?"

"Mr. Hawthorne," Horace began, unfazed by his hostility, "I'm here to offer you several things in exchange for all or a portion of your holdings on the ranch."

Jeremiah shook his head and snorted. "What do think you have that I could possibly want now?"

"Well to start, I have a significant amount of money here."

Jeremiah sat there with no reaction.

"Plus," Horace continued, "I've notes to several deeds in Thompsonville that could be used to back up any type of arrangement we might need to make."

"Go on," Jeremiah said shortly.

"Besides that, I have it on good authority that the incident with Pedro Mendez can be made to disappear forever. There will no longer be the threat of a warrant hanging over your head."

Jeremiah sat back and looked like he was thinking.

"Is that it?" Jeremiah said calmly.

"No, besides clearing the air with your ex-wife and brother," Horace said smiling, "we have some information that might help you reunite with your daughter, Sarah."

"Really?" Jeremiah said very warily. "So why isn't she here?"

"Unfortunately, she ran away."

"Ran away! Why did she run?"

"She ran away," Thomas interjected, "because she didn't like it that I tanned her backside when she got uppity with me. She's always resented me for marrying Abby."

"Showed she was smart. Do you get excited when you spank teenage girls?" Jeremiah retorted, glaring at his brother.

"Calm yourself, sir," Horace said evenly.

"So where is she?"

"We know where she is and that she is safe. We are very willing to share that information with you as soon as we conclude our business here.

"Mr. Hawthorne," Horace continued in a slightly condescending voice, "It's obvious that you're not interested in returning to the valley. Why not sever any remaining ties to a place that holds no joy for you. Certainly, we can come to some type of agreement that both sides will find profitable?"

"You're right about one thing," Jeremiah said as he glared at Thomas and Abby, "I have no desire to ever go back to that valley. With Sarah no longer there, there's NOBODY there that I give a damn about!"

"Jeremiah," Abby said softly, "I'm sorry for how we confronted you that day. Things were so twisted back then. I know I didn't do you right by the way I handled things."

"Didn't do me right? That's a hoot!" Jeremiah sneered. "I'm thrown into the Denver city jail for a fight I didn't start. People I've never met lie about me and I spend two months locked up. When I finally get home I find I'd been tried and convicted without even having the chance to defend myself. On top of that, my wife was now sleeping with my brother!

"I always knew you took a cotton to Thomas, but thought you were mine when we'd wed! I never thought you'd turn into a cheating whore!"

"And I never thought you'd share your bed with another woman! Let alone get her pregnant!"

"Still don't believe me, do you?" Jeremiah said shaking his head. "Still can't believe it's possible I was railroaded and that King Henry was behind it?"

"No, he wouldn't do that!"

"I've heard tell that Pedro and Maria's official testimonies are on record over in Denver. Not only that, but they swore to a very different story than what they'd told you!"

"Mr. Hawthorne..." Horace began.

"Shut up, mouthpiece! It's my turn!"

"They told the Denver sheriff," he said never taking his eyes off of Abby, "they were forced to lie to you. They said the Swede threatened them and then he shot Pedro in order to frame me."

"Liar!" the Swede barked as he started to get up.

He froze when he heard the hammer of a gun being pulled back. Everyone turned their attention to the attractive Amazon standing in the doorway, aiming a shotgun at the Swede's chest.

"Sit back down!" she said coldly. "Or I swear to God I'll kill you right there!"

The big man slowly eased himself back into the chair. Jeremiah and the Swede glared at each other.

"Don't believe me?" Jeremiah flatly stated, "Go to Denver and see for yourselves."

Abby looked at Jeremiah and then over to the Swede. Her stomach began to turn as she finally seriously considered that she'd been lied to. That uncomfortable possibility slowly crept into her thoughts. However, Jeremiah wasn't done.

"I have a couple of questions for you two, though," her ex-husband said turning his attention to her and Thomas.

"Surely both of you," Jeremiah's voice dripped with sarcasm, "found it suspicious that my wayward brother would return so soon after I left?"

Abby was silent as Thomas responded.

"Henry sent me a telegram a few days after you disappeared and the Mendezs had visited."

"How did he know how to find you?"

"He'd contacted me a few months earlier."

"You never told me that!" Abby gasped.

Thomas looked at her innocently.

"What was there to tell? Your father sent me a letter asking me to come home. He was hoping I could help him convince Jeremiah to pool our resources and offer a deal to the railway. I wasn't interested in coming back until I heard about all the trouble Jeremiah was in.

"Brother, I'm sorry that things turned out this way for you, but I didn't come back planning to take your place. When I got there, you'd already disappeared and Abby was alone and hurting. I stayed for her."

"So Henry sent someone to find you before he sent you that letter?" Jeremiah stated calmly as Thomas nodded. "And then Henry sent someone to find me here in Ashcroft?"

Again Thomas nodded.

"Then how come he could find you, Thomas, after ten years of prospecting and me after five years of being gone, but couldn't find me sitting in a damn Denver jail for two months! Surely both of you were looking for me right? Surely Mr. Mouthpiece here knew I'd contacted his office there in Denver? It wouldn't be too damn hard to question someone in the sheriff's office about me would it?"

Neither Abby nor Thomas could continue to look him in the eye. Whatever level of guilt they had was written in their faces.

"Truth is," Jeremiah continued, "neither one of you cared if I came back. I was already guilty and convicted without even a trial. Y'all had already cheated on me! You stabbed the person you said you loved, your own kin, in the back. So y'all can take your pathetic apologies and burn in hell!"

Jeremiah stood in front of them, daring them to meet his eyes. His face was contorted in pain and his nostrils flared like a bull preparing to charge.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Jeremiah turned to Mr. Horace.

"So here's my answer, mouthpiece."

"Mr. Hawthorne..." Horace began again.

"There's nothing you have that I want. I don't trust you enough to believe you really know where my daughter is and there's not enough gold in these mountains for you to bribe me with. Go back to your master tell him it'll be a cold day in hell before he EVER gets his hands on my family's ranch!

"Now, it's dark outside so I won't throw y'all off this place, but I want you gone in the morning.

"Abigail, you can stay in one of the rooms here in the ranch house. Zeb, you and Robbie sleep here as well. These three can have the bunkhouse. Those barking irons stay in that chest until you leave, understand?"

Most everyone nodded as Jeremiah went over to the door and called out for Robbie. They could all hear him come running up to the house.

"Robbie, I'll take off at dawn and go meet up with Ambrose and the others. Would you make sure my horse is ready?"

"Sure thing, Jeremiah!"

Jeremiah turned to the group.

"Y'all got a few minutes before Robbie turns the dogs loose for the night, so I wouldn't waste anymore time in here. Those barking irons will stay in the chest until you leave. Careful you don't wander around here in the dark; the dogs are pretty dangerous at night. Now, I'm a bit tired. If y'all will excuse me, I'll turn in for the night."