Fool's Gold: Claim Jumpers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Now I can focus on my future. I was happy back on the ranch. I had a wife and daughter that I loved, but one of them was taken from me and the other broke my heart. Some very kind people returned my daughter to me, and an angel has healed my heart. I look forward to holding that angel every night."

"Someone returned Sarah to you?" Abby asked.

Jeremiah nodded and looked over at Ambrose.

"When I ran away I must have had angels watching over me," Sarah interjected. "I wasn't sure where to go, at first. I'd heard you say that Papa had gone to Denver before he came back that day. So I went to Colorado Springs first. I was lucky to hitch up with a family going to Denver.

"When I arrived in Denver, I began asking questions at the city jail. Then I went to one of the churches. A Reverend and his wife took me in for a few days and then introduced me to Mr. Ambrose.

"Mr. Ambrose took me to Leadville to meet Sam. She took me in. They told everyone that I was her new handmaid."

"Why?" Abby asked.

"Well that was at my suggestion actually," Ambrose explained. "You see, I wasn't fully prepared at that time."

"Prepared for what?" Mr. Horace asked.

"Well, in truth I wasn't prepared for this visit. I needed to make sure your man couldn't track Sarah to Jeremiah too quickly. There were still a few loose ends that demanded my attention. Thankfully, those were taken care well before your man ever went to Ashcroft. We were able to smuggle Sarah here just a few days after she'd been discovered in Leadville.

"I've got another small confession," Ambrose grinned. "It wasn't with the most honorable intentions that I delivered Sarah back to her father. I knew Jeremiah was a fair man and that my gift would influence his decision to sell.

"What Jeremiah didn't say was that he sold his interest to me and my partners. It's also my group's bank, and I'll be the one working with Jeremiah. He's got a fine head for figures and should do quite well. The fact that he and his future bride have a vested interest in the bank is an added bonus.

"I didn't buy out Jeremiah simply as a favor to John Jenkins. I agree with Henry Thompson. Besides looking out for my good friend's daughter who I love like my own, it is also a very good investment.

"Those placer mines they've already found up round Pike's Peak may have already been all panned out, but there's a very good chance that all that gold had to come from somewhere. It's likely that sooner or later someone will discover where and then..."

"And then that little valley will be extremely valuable. Owning the majority interest in the Hawthorne Ranch gets me a foothold in the valley."

"But Mr. Weitbrec," Horace said cautiously, "Henry Thompson owns most of that valley."

"That's very true, Mr. Horace. However, I bought Jeremiah's stake not only because it might be a good investment, but it also put me in a position get a little vengeance.

"You see, sir, my wife's cousin, "Ambrose's voice became low and threatening, "lives in Kansas City. We aren't particularly close with that side of the family, so my wife and I didn't hear about this until a few years ago,"

"Well, this cousin has a daughter who married a nice young lad. Several years ago, she traveled with him to Colorado to help his grandpa run his ranch. Their bad luck was to arrive right in the middle of a railway war. As you know, there were a lot of ugly underhanded things going on about that time.

"Never in their worst nightmares did they think they'd run across people who were trying to run the grandpa off his land. Not just run him off, but burn him out! They were threatened and then terrorized by a big blonde bear of a man. The husband still has burns on his arms from trying to rescue his grandpa from the burning house. His last name was Wilson."

Horace looked very uncomfortable.

"So you can imagine my surprise when I started talking to this man who had impressed a very good friend of mine. This man had won the heart my friend's daughter, and his stories about his past were eerily familiar. I even learned this Thompson fella had a man working for him that sounded like the son-of-a-bitch that did that to my wife's kin. Well, I certainly became very interested.

"I was even more surprised to find out that same man had been buying out both land and businesses in that area. It was a blessing from heaven to learn he'd severely over extended his line of credit. It was like Manifest Destiny! It took me a bit, but I finally bought up all his debt. That was the loose ends that needed tending.

"I figure I'll take most everything he has except his ranch when I call in all his markers at the end of the month. Oh hellfire! It wouldn't even surprise me if there weren't an accidental fire or two up on that ranch before winter!"

Ambrose's grin sent shivers down everyone's backs.

"By the law or the gun, Mr. Horace. Please tell your employer that it's a given that anyone involved with him is in danger when all this happens. Also, sir, Denver isn't a particularly safe town either, even for lawyers.

The table was silent as each person processed Ambrose's thinly veiled threat.

"Now that that nasty business is done," Ambrose continued essentially ignoring the Hawthorne party. "Would anyone care to join me and Jacob in a cigar?"

"Hell yes!" Zeb stated from the kitchen entryway. "Right after I helps clean up here!"

"Go on ahead, Pappy," Desiree laughed. "Sarah and I will help get this done."

Zeb grinned from ear to ear.

"Jeremiah?" Ambrose asked.

"Please excuse Jeremiah," Sam interjected. "He needs to spend a little time with his fiancée. Jeremiah would you please escort me outside for a little walk?"

"I'd be honored to."

The couple got up and went outside arm-in-arm. Silently, the guests Left the table and congregated in smaller groups. Horace and Thomas went upstairs to their rooms while Abby lingered downstairs for a few minutes before slipping out the back door.

She needed to talk to Jeremiah and apologize. She also knew that Sam wouldn't be happy with the interruption. Still, it would probably be her last opportunity to speak with her ex-husband.

As she approached them she could hear their voices.

"... sorry, Jeremiah. I don't mean to be such a bother."

"Shh, sweetheart. You're not a bother."

"It's just I get scared. I know what they say about me behind my back. That a man would only be after my money to ever wed a harpy like me. They say I'm a spoiled, little princess, who probably drove her husband to his grave. But you know that's not true, don't you?"

Jeremiah chuckled and smiled. "Yes, I know that's not the truth. However... the spoiled bit..."

"Okay, they might have a point there," Sam choked back a small laugh, "but I'm getting better. It's just that I was so angry at James, leaving me in Leadville and spending a year up in the mountains, working in one of my Dad's mines. We hadn't even been married two years and he left. He hadn't even given me that baby he'd promised me!

"When they told me he'd died of pneumonia, I fell apart. I know that lots of people thought I'd gone loco, but it was just the pain. It was the knowing that the wonderful life I'd planned for us was dead. All I was left with was the dark hopelessness of being a widow before I was even twenty.

"After that, I looked at every man that sought my hand through those dead eyes. I did that for four years, and I probably did become that harpy they claim I am. I know I went to Mrs. Tabor's big party kicking and screaming. I'm glad Daddy demanded that I be there. It wasn't till afterwards that I learned he'd wanted me to meet someone who he had a great deal of respect for. It was you Jeremiah Hawthorne, and when I first met you I was ashamed."

"Ashamed?"

She nodded and smiled sheepishly up at him.

"I wanted you to like me so badly that it scared me. I hadn't had that feeling since James. When you took me into your arms the first time we danced I almost cried. It was the first time I'd ever let myself hope to be happy again.

"But then I started looking at myself and the type of person I'd become. I swore to God right there that if you gave me a chance I'd become the kind of woman you'd be proud to be married to."

"Samantha, I've always been proud to be with you. Even when you were dressed like a man!"

Sam laughed and playfully slapped his arm.

"I was honored to be near you," Jeremiah said in a somber voice. "Sam, I love you."

"Even though I act like a spoiled brat sometimes? Even when I let my temper get the better of me?"

"I love you no matter what, Samantha Jenkins Wilcox. You tell me about how I changed your life, but you changed my life even more. You know how broken I was when you met me. What they did to me about killed me."

"I know, sweetheart. That's why I'm so angry with them. How could you ever do that the someone you claim to love? I'm sorry if I let my claws out a bit."

Jeremiah laughed softly. "Well no one can say they don't know how you feel!"

"Jeremiah, I'm sorry. I'm really trying."

"Hush, beautiful. It's okay. It feels good to have someone love you enough to fight for you."

Jeremiah's words struck deep into Abby's heart. She tried but was unable to completely stifle her sob.

"Who's there?" Sam barked.

"I'm sorry..."

"What do you want?"

Sam was obviously getting upset before Jeremiah wrapped his arms around her and spoke gently.

"It's all right, sweetheart," he said softly, "Let her say what she needs to. She can't hurt us."

Abby watched as Sam melted into his arms. Her body seemed to relax and Abby thought she even heard her sigh softly. Abby fought back the memories of how she once felt so safe in those arms.

"I just wanted to apologize to both of you. Samantha, I'm sorry our visit caused Jeremiah's life to be threatened. That was never my plan, and I'll be asking Daddy about it when I get home. I'll also be asking him about the Mendezs and about Old Man Wilson, as well. I just can't believe that Daddy was behind all this. But I promise you, Jeremiah, I will ask. I just can't believe Daddy is as evil as you think he is."

"Maybe not evil," Jeremiah snorted. "Maybe he's just a damn carpetbagger! Feeding on the misfortune of others. Either way, I'm sure he'll someday regret things. Whether you believe it or not won't change anything, Abigail, but it could cost you dearly when his chickens come home to roost."

"Do you really think that Ambrose man would... surely he wouldn't... "

"Yes, I believe he'll do exactly what he said he'll do. Ambrose is a good man, but he has a dark side, too. If the Swede was involved with what happened to Old Man Wilson and Ambrose's kin, then I got no doubt Ambrose will do just what he said.

"Abby, I don't hate you anymore, so I hope you don't get hurt. But I won't shed a tear if something bad happens to your father or Thomas. I know you don't want to believe it, but they took away all good things in my life. Thomas took away my wife and daughter and King Henry tried to take away my family's ranch. I hope they both meet the Swede in hell!"

"I guess I can understand that. But for the way I treated you and for betraying you with Thomas, I am truly sorry. I know it don't mean much now but I doubt we'll ever see each other again, and I just wanted you to know. Hopefully, you'll ask Sarah to visit me someday."

"Not likely. As long as Thomas and your father are around, I doubt she'll ever visit."

She nodded and wiped away a tear.

"Goodbye, Jeremiah."

She turned and walked back into the hotel, knowing her future held several long hard discussions with her father. She also suspected she'd likely never see her ex-husband again.

*****

St. Louis, Missouri

Spring -- 1905

Abigail Hawthorne slowly entered the cottage. It had been a long winter, but spring brought hope. She prayed it would bring a new life to her, as well.

It had been nineteen years since they'd moved to St. Louis.

After they'd returned from Ashcroft, she'd confronted her father. He'd told her that he'd secretly given the Swede a stake of the expected profits. Henry said that the Swede was acting on his own when he threatened the Mendezs, and again when he tried to kill Jeremiah.

He swore to her that he hadn't instigated any if those things, but did confess to taking advantage of them after they'd occurred. Abby wasn't completely convinced, but soon after their talk several things happened that limited her options.

First, Edmond Horace went back to Denver. A week later he left town. No one knew where he went other than his last statement of "Back East, where things were more civilized."

Next, Thomas gave up and sold the rest of the ranch to Ambrose. Thomas then left to go back to prospecting out West. Abby had been torn watching him leave again, knowing that with the ranch sold and everyone gone, her father was all she had left.

She'd heard from Thomas a couple of years later when she received a telegraph from him. It was from San Francisco, and stated that they found gold in the Klondike and he was sailing for Alaska. She never heard from him again.

Ambrose Weitbrec had been a man of his word. It had taken a little longer than expected, but by the Spring of 1886, her father had sold off almost everything to cover his debts. He'd been able to sell the ranch for a bit of profit, even though one of the barns had burned to the ground just before Christmas. There had been just enough to buy this little cottage and a small store.

Henry Thompson had left Colorado a very bitter man. He'd became even more depressed and despondent in 1891 when a major gold strike occurred in the Cripple Creek and Victor areas. To service those areas, the railroad built a spur that ran through their old valley. Ambrose Weitbrec and his investors were now even wealthier.

The past long years had been difficult, at times. Abby and Henry had worked the store until Henry had become too ill. She'd sold it in order to take care of him this last year. He'd died the previous December, and now she was alone. She was alone, but that was partially by her own choices.

Over the years she'd had several suitors, but she never felt she could abandon her father. Those suitors she fancied the most seemed to be the same ones her father disliked the most.

Now, in her fifties, she was alone.

She walked over to her bed and sat down. The stillness in the cottage was almost overwhelming. She reached over to a small ornate box that sat beside her bed. Opening it she retrieved two items that were very precious to her, a letter and a telegraph.

The first was a letter she'd received from Sarah four years before. The second was a telegram she'd received the day beore. It was in response to one she'd sent a month earlier.

She slowly unfolded the letter and began reading the words she'd already knew by heart.

Dearest Mother,

I'm writing you to fulfill a promise I made to someone very dear to me. He feels it will do me and those I love some good to pen my thoughts and feelings and send them to you. He's said whether you ever get this letter or not, it will be healthy for me to write and say whatever I need to say. I won't tell you that I welcomed his request.

I guess he knows what he's talking about since he's a doctor. I also know he loves me deeply and is only watching out for me. Truth be known, I would do almost anything for Dr. Harold Thornton, my husband.

I reckon I should get right to the heart of the matter. Mother, I forgive you. I forgive you for not believing me and not protecting me, afterwards. I won't tell you I completely understand why you did what you did, but if it gives you any peace then you have my forgiveness.

I hope you understand why I ran away. After I told you what Uncle Thomas did, none of you believed me. It was just like what happened to Papa. None of you believed him either. I felt like I was unprotected, so I needed to go find someone who would look after me. It was a miracle that I found Papa so quickly. It was an even bigger miracle that I found Harold a few years after Papa and Sam got married.

I got a letter from Desiree a few months ago. She was the woman with the little girl you met at the Jenkin's place near Ashcroft. She said that she and everyone was doing fine and that she'd gotten married again. Little Moe was growing up into a real beauty and her Pappy was already threatening to skin some of the local boys if they got too handsy. Zeb and the Widow Brown still aren't married, but they're always together and will be the rest of their lives.

It was Desiree's letter that gave Harold the idea for me to write to you.

As I said before, I'm married now to a doctor. You have two grandchildren, a boy, John Ambrose, and a girl, Samantha Desiree. We moved down here to Santa Fe about ten years ago with Papa and Sam and my half-sisters.

Papa is the president of one of Ambrose's banks. He and Sam have three pretty blonde-haired hellcats. Of course, that's not really true; all three of my half-sisters are pretty sweet most of the time but all of them got Sam's temper. It's funny to watch them around Papa. Each one of them thinks they have him wrapped around their little fingers. What's even funnier is when Sam shoos them away and sits in Papa's lap and let's them all know that Papa is hers and always will be. I swear, I laugh every time I see all three of them girls with their bottom lips out, pouting.

I asked Papa once if he ever got tired of all the constant commotion of having four girls in the house. He just smiled and hugged me and said he'd missed five years of being with me, so this was heaven.

He also said he couldn't ask for more. He had a wife who loved him as much as he loved her, four wonderful daughters, and a grandson and a granddaughter who hung the moon. We have good homes, food on the table and we are in good health. We even had a doctor in the family. He said we are very blessed. I can't really argue with that.

Before I go, I need to let you know that you're welcome to visit us. I can't say Grandpa or Uncle Thomas will ever be welcome but you are. Even Sam said she'd behave if you came.

She's sure changed over the years. She's much happier now. She says it's because of Papa, and while I'm sure that's true, she absolutely dotes over her three girls.

We'll I need to end this letter now. I've honored my husband's wishes by writing this letter and I think I'll soon be working on another of his wishes. Harold has been hinting about us having another child!

If you ever decide to come, just telegraph your arrival date and we'll pick you up at the station.

Best wishes from your daughter,

Sarah

Abby wiped away her tears, refolded the worn letter and placed it back in the box. Slowly she unfolded the telegram. She'd waited until after Henry had passed and the cottage taken care of before she'd responded. She'd reached out to Sarah, asking if the offer to visit was still good. The previous day, Sarah had responded.

Looking forward to seeing you. Will meet. Grandkids excited.

Abby didn't know how things would eventually turn out, but she knew she had to try. Even if she only got to see her grandchildren once it would be worth it. She'd bought a train ticket to Santa Fe and telegraphed back her arrival time within a day of receiving Sarah's response.

It was Spring. A time of new beginnings.

*****