All Comments on 'Get a Fucking Edigor er Editor'

by Egmont Grigor

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago

[By: Anonymous in MN, USA I really liked this story. Full of good stuff, however there were a few grammer errors that threw me off when reading it a few times. Otherwise a great story.

He or she can't spell either but didn't mention spelling, only 'grammer'.]

Well, the difference is, you are the one writing a story not the 'commenters'. LAME!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I Have To Applaud You...

Now although I am not a writer or a critic on this site, but merely a reader, I have to applaud you and also agree with you. I have come across many comments left by people who choose the anonymous route and even some who choose to leave their user name and some of these people are so incredibly ridiculous and rude that I'm left sitting there not believing that some people have the audacity to say such things at times. Instead of being grateful for all of the writers that are nice enough to write and post your stories on Lit, which is a free site no-less, it seems like they read stories specifically to dissect and bring any imperfections or flaws to the surface just to make it known that there might be an error here or there. So they feel the need to point that out (and some very rudely, I might add). It must make these morons feel superior or something sitting behind the computer and that anonymous wall they hide behind and spew their shit. They don't realize that for many writers on here, it takes a lot for them to get the courage to post their work to begin with or that many people might be just starting out and here they come, blasting them at every turn because of their grammar or because the plot is not going the way said reader wants it to. It never cease to amaze me how some of these so called 'critics' can sit there and give 'advice' to a writer on here and tell them what they need to do to make their stories better. That would be all fine and well if that advice was given constructively. Unfortunately though that is one thing that I don't come across very often on here. People don't know how to give construction criticism anymore. There ARE ways to do that and at the same time give the writer confidence at the same time to improve here or there. And also, that old saying that I'm sure we all have heard before- 'If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all'. Really. If you read something that is not to your liking, just click out of the story. No one is forced to read anything on here but yet many feel they need to rip others apart for various and ridiculous reasons. These writers/authors are giving all of us a gift here. Don't smack them in face with their gift to us, because that's exactly what many people on here do to them. So again Egmont Grigor, I applaud and thank you.

tturtle50tturtle50about 15 years ago
So True!!

Like your style, if I was a story writer and not just a reader I might make a comment to you.. Just being a reader

I leave it alone.. not my place to correct or judge, just read and "Rate" the story...

I gave you 5 stars on this, am not sure if I read one of your stories. But this rates way up, you are not the only one that gets the knife put to them..LOL!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
In My Option

Hey you forgot the one that thinks the story is about real

people. In my option most of those that criticize don't have

a clue as to where the door is at.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
found the off switch

I have enjoyed all of your stories and look forward to reading more. I tried to write something like this, but found it beyond my skill level. I also try to be generous about grammar and syntax issues for those who are not native American speakers. I mean really, is there any other valid version of English?

I hae always felt that the critics were people who had finally found the "off" switch on their televisions, and now were at a loss for things to gratuitously criticize. Ignore them!

Seriously, keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Vell now da gramma was not ta bad but youse shure

needs da spall cheker. Afta aul no writa means nuffin widout his readas. And iffen ya readas aint happe youse is just crappin in da outhouz. But ya sea this herya story aint got a plut attal. What gouds ah stroking storey iffen thar aint nuffin to strok bout?

amethystsubamethystsubabout 15 years ago
Author, Author!

I too have had the odd comment on my limited submissions regarding editors, grammar and or spelling. Being from Canada, we also have some regional peculiarities in our language.

There are lots of armchair editors out there, most of whom could not write a half decent sentence, nor spell it correctly, if their life depended on it.

I personally love the editor/critic types that get upset in a non-consent story when a character is 'forced' to have sex. Also, I must admit that I love the comments regarding someone being cuckholded or a slut because of cheating or group activities.

If everyone would read the titles, teaser lines, and the category of story, before they read, react and criticize, then a large amount of useless comments from people unwilling or unable to identify themselves, could be avoided.

Enjoy the pats on the back, and take the constructive criticisms for what they are. Keep on writing as you do it so well and, to my tastes, very enjoyably.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I think you may be missing the point.

If you are writing because you enjoy it and don't care about spelling or grammar, then by all means write and ignore the feedback. If you are writing to give your readers pleasure, then you need to pay attention to the feedback about spelling and grammar, because to a number of people, reading a story that has poor grammar is like listening to an LP that has a scratch on it - it detracts from their enjoyment of your stories.

Obviously, quite a number of your readers care about grammar, because you have chosen to whine about it. Instead of ranting about anonymity (as if giving out a RL name makes the criticism more valid) perhaps you should pay more attention to their concerns or else give up the pretense that you write for their enjoyment.

fdkman262fdkman262about 15 years ago
Comment on you comment

To paraphrase Shakespeare 'methinks he doth protest too much'. You need to get a thicker skin or stop allowing comments. You should know by now that there are plenty of idiots in the world and more of them are on LIT than one would think possible. Maybe this helps to get the frustration off your chest but it smacks of whining to me.

However, that said I find myself making similar comments about the stories I read, though not yours as I don't read them. I find careless errors in an otherwise well written story to be particularly annoying. If an author can't keep track of the names of their characters in a story of only a few thousand words why would I want to waste my time reading it? Doing that shows me a distinct lack of care for the story and the reader.

I also find the comment that 'it's just a story' to be a poor excuse for not taking the time to write interesting characters. If I don't think the person I'm reading about could be real, or at least act in a rational manner, again why would I be interested in them? Sherlock Holmes is an obviously fictional character and his exploits are 'only stories' but if people didn't see him as 'real' I doubt he'd still be around over 100 years later. Maybe I'm different but after a while a story has to have more than just sex for it to be exciting. I can only take so much in and out of cocks and pussies before I get BORED.

I believe that the 'get an editor' comments are valid because most of the time the meaning is that the story needs to be proofread. It's too easy to get someone, from LIT or elsewhere, to check over a story for obvious errors. There are too many programs available to check spelling so it is just plain laziness when an author doesn't and again, why would I want to read a story the author doesn't care about.

I've written a few stories and I try to get the spelling, punctuation and grammar as complete as I can. Do I miss somethings, sure, but I do put the effort into it. If you're getting the same comments all the time maybe you should take them to heart, afterall even a stopped clock it right twice a day.

go_oago_oaabout 15 years ago
I like it

I like strong wimmen. I am dislexic.

But I still shudder when a woman reaches the peek of excitement.

I like your stories very much.

I can handle the errors.

keep it up!

The writing, I mean.

And whatever else is required.

I will try to remember to give you a 5 every

time I read one of your creations.

go_oago_oaabout 15 years ago
I like it

I like strong wimmen. I am dislexic.

But I still shudder when a woman reaches the peek of excitement.

I like your stories very much.

I can handle the errors.

keep it up!

The writing, I mean.

And whatever else is required.

I will try to remember to give you a 5 every

time I read one of your creations.

Maitre1962Maitre1962about 15 years ago
Down with whiners and whingers!

Well done ,Egmont!LMAO Stick it to those whining and whinging hordes! I,personally, love reading your stories! Please keep writing! Good on ya,mate!

Kind Regards,

Maitre

PostScriptorPostScriptorabout 15 years ago
It ain't as easy as it looks!

WHAT KIND OF STORY IS THIS! I couldn't find the plot, and there was no sex, and you don't sound like a bloody YANK! Your humor (humour) is off-colored (coloured) and you should take the megabucks that they pay you for these stories and go away!! LOL!<br><P>

People who've never tried to write their own stories ought to be a little more generous to writers. It is amazing how even with editors, spelling and grammatical errors still creep through (damn, MY spell checker isn't worth two bits!)<br><P>

Egmont, keep up the good work, most of us greatly appreciate the effort, thought and just plain hard work that goes into every story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Churr bro

While I agree that spelling errors and poor grammar can affect the flow of a story and ultimately the enjoyment factor, people...it's just a fucken story! Get over it and stop your bitchin'! No one is perfect and the authors on this site should at least be allowed to express themselves without people who have nothing better to do but shit on their work. Constructive critism is great as it helps the author to grow and develop ideas and characters, but whining like a little bitch about a spelling mistake just shows how anally retentive you are...Grow the fuck up!!

Egmont GrigorEgmont Grigorabout 15 years agoAuthor
Pathetic Grouching Summed Up

Thanks everyone who expressed views on this submission. It won't change anything but makes me feel supported. I think this extract below from 'Anonymous' gets to the heart of the matter as a message to readers who bleat about a spelling error (making it sound is there's a thousand of them in the story) and those who also grind on about grammar or their version of it:

"..it's just a fucken story! Get over it and stop your bitchin'!"

Lol! Pity the dopes won't read this submission and responses, probably because they don't like the finger being pointed at their pathetic grouching.

KOTKKOTKabout 15 years ago
OUTSTANDING

A standing ovation & a salute for writing this. Truely outstanding.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Keep Writing

Almost all of your stories have great story line and good sex - I think in that order. Several times I have started reading a story (did not note the author when I started) and then checked and smiled it was one of yours. Because of the quality of the storyline I did check. Keep writing.

And THANKS ! ! !

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Can They do BETTER

It is real easy to be a critic. While I will admit that some of the stories have problems with grammar and spelling, I have one answer to ALL of the critics.

One has to EARN the right to be a critic. The way to earn that right is be producing a better product. It is time to put up or shut up

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I do not buy your Queen's English

and the idea that sentences like your following have been rotated through an editor. "Being domicile in New Zealand I've just uncorrected defence and changed it to defense in the belief that the greatest"

Being domiciled in the US. Without the attack on your readers I would have let this one go. Try writing for ASSTR and leave off your return address, no problems with reviews or comments by those meanie readers.

ag2507ag2507about 15 years ago
Curious

I have read a considerable number of your stories, they are long so require some degree of commitment to get to the end. Your stories are enjoyable, maintain attention and we care about your characters. On the whole your stories are pretty well edited, I suspect you read your material and correct it before inflicting it upon us, so I don't often find errors.

I'm a little surprised you are bitching about regional differences, they just exist and be thankful that Noah Webster wasn't from the deep south: US spelling horrors would be much, much worse. I do get bent out of shape by homonym errors, particularly persistent ones, because they do spoil a story: I read the words not the sounds so I build up a very different mental picture between, for example, sight and site. A site has bulldozers; cranes; dump trucks: you get the picture: "Oh! You are a beautiful site" builds a picture of some teenage beauty with Tonka Toys running all over her - not what you probably intended. Some, not yours, stories are rife with these homonyms and they do spoil the pleasure of reading. I generally give up after a few paragraphs. I am a writer, and I learned the hard way what lazy writing does when I started reading excerpts. Each time you make a booboo, you lose your audience for as much as half a minute; that's about a sentence and a half. What happens is these haitii accumulate and you notice quite markedly that the audience miss essential facts after each booboo; and then lose the thread entirely.

Our language is one of the few things of beauty shared by a huge number of cultures from the USA to New Zealand and our words do carry a lot of fascinating baggage: American literature suffers because of Noah Webster’s spelling purge: you cannot express the richness of ideas using American spellings - there is a huge difference in weight between color and colour. So if an author wishes to assert the right to write illiterate prose I reserve the right to castigate him or her for it.

If you write to be read then you have a responsibility to your readers to make it enjoyable: If you write to feel good about yourself, then there is no point in my reading it.

As to your material, I do ignore the odd booboo, but I do remember remarking to myself recently that couple of your stories were not up to your usual standard: I suspect you know this as this little gripe follows shortly after your proof reading fiascos.

Finally, and this is a key point, some of the stories on literotica are dire, you see the authors write one, or maybe two stories and then vanish. They are often very short and I seldom get much further than the first paragraph. Your stories are not dire; we do read to the end; so if we bitch slap you afterwards it’s because we care; and somewhere in our consciousness believe that you care too. True, the world is also full of arseholes and some of them criticize your work for the sake of it but most of us do it out of love: literary criticism is very hard; gosh! Writing itself is none too easy! So our comments may come across as odd and with strange emphases, but if you sit back and read the tenor, not the letter of the criticisms, you will find there is something to take away. And if Retired Teacher From Memphis wants to grade your paper, maybe he or she has a point. They care about the language they speak: maybe you should too. Slowly but surely we are losing the richness of the language we speak, like global warming, we will try to fix it when it is far too late.

JammyJimmyJammyJimmyabout 15 years ago
Well Said

Thanks for this article. I haven't spoken to an author who isn't narked at the 'Anonymous' wisdom generator, the critic who criticises and doesn't leave their name.

You are by no means alone.. someone told me the following, and I thought it appropriate to share. Just because some can leave feedback, doesn't mean they should, and it certainly doesn't make them credible either.

Then again... where there's muck, there's brass!

JJ

xtremeddxtremeddover 14 years ago
Edgemont, You Sir, Do Not need an editor.

I do read with a jaundiced eye to those who could do with an outside critic source for their writing. Note: only if they mention their "newness" to writing, are interesting, original or enjoyable. My reading is for personal enjoyment, amusement and distraction and author it with an agenda, against the generalized shortcomings of a white male, I ignore it.

Writing a business letter with clarity, brief and pointed exhausts me. The writer who offer their stories to Lit, put effort in that I appreciate and must also exhaust(s) them too. In short the author that I would like to offer editing skills to is one who "wants' It, I enjoy or appreciate their stories and want them to continue writing for my reading time.

Edgemont, You Sir, Do Not need an editor.

Please continue writing for your own enjoyment and (my) our pleasure.

Best wishes

xtremedd

PS Spellchecked & for 9th grade reading level or above.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Good one

Well said Egmont but Anonymous from MN USA has a point. Originality in diction is good but spelling also helps. I am working through all your submissions, enjoying them immensely. I also really like your sense of humour and your story lines are great but I also get confused when you double up on words out of place. I bet you had an Egidor when you were a journo. I really enjoy stories with a storyline involving over 60s. Why are we conditioned to believe that we are dead from the neck down after 50... I’m in my early 70s and live in SW West Oz (that’s Australia to those of you living over the ditch)

TassieTykeTassieTyke23 days ago

Onya Mate. I'm reding this in 2024 and love your stuff. With your volume you're bound to have the occasional miss. I used to write stories for my American Lady in Grand Rapids, MI, unfortunately ALS took her, So I gave it away. Your nearby Mate, Mike in Tassie. ( Ex-Pom.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous