Ghost of Christmas Past

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The elephant in the room." Jenna pursed her lips in a self-mocking smile. "I'm sorry." She took a deep breath, and said: "My husband died some time ago. I've been having a tough time with it, and I'm tired of people pitying me, and I know I should move on but it's not quite that simple."

"That is a tough one." Tim nodded. "I am sorry that that happened. Which is not the same as pity, you know."

Jenna looked into Tim's blue-green eyes. She did not see any pity there.

"Thanks," she said quietly.

* * *

Charles hovered invisibly nearby, watching his wife have a first date with a man who was not him. He knew it was the right thing; this was what was supposed to happen.

Before Tim said the words, Charles knew that the book salesman lived in Jenna's school district. They had never met because Tim traveled so much.

Charles watched as the couple fit together the pieces of their information puzzle. He heard their voices rise in surprise and delight.

At that point he could no longer bear to watch events unfold in real-time. He made a metaphysical step into the faster time stream. He would still keep an eye on Jenna, as he had done from a distance during the months after his death. He simply would travel faster than she.

Charles flew back home with Jenna and Tim. His spirit added no weight to the airplane. He floated through their home town, witnessing in fast forward as Tim courted Jenna.

Even though it was difficult to watch his wife spend one-on-one time with another man, Charles had to admit that he approved of the way Tim treated her. Tim never pressured Jenna, physically or emotionally. When he joined her for dinners or movies, he always acted the perfect gentleman.

Several months into the living couple's courtship, Charles realized he had been dead for nearly a year. Jenna seemed to be healing. She still thought about her dead husband, but not with the sharp pain of fresh grief. There seemed to be only one thing left for her to do: make love to someone else.

Charles was torn. He wanted so badly to make love with his wife one final time. However, the unavoidable consequence would be a fresh reminder of him in her mind. In short, to do so would be selfish of him. It might set back her healing or even ruin her budding relationship with this new guy.

Maybe the reason he could not move on was not only because of Jenna's grief. Maybe he, too, was having problems letting go.

"Just once," he told himself. "Just once more I will make love to her, and then I will leave this earth."

He slowed down, then, experiencing earthly existence at the speed of human time again. His timing was perfect, for that evening, Jenna and Tim were about to commit.

They were headed for the school district holiday party. Jenna wore a velvet gown of British racing green, a green so dark it was almost black. Tim wore a muted charcoal suit with a burgundy tie. They made a handsome couple.

When Tim picked her up for the party, he brought her an understated corsage of rosebuds, sprigs of pine and baby pine cones. The one for his own jacket had fewer flowers and more pine, so as to look a bit more masculine. Jenna pinned it to his lapel.

"We look so complete!" she marveled.

"Not quite." Tim smiled. From his inner jacket pocket he pulled a velvet box. "Merry Christmas, Beautiful."

Jenna's mouth fell open and her eyes grew big. "What is it?" Her voice was hushed with awe and imagination.

Tim held out the box toward her. "Go ahead. Open it."

Jenna shut her eyes tightly in anticipation. With shaking fingers, she reached for the box. It opened with a soft snap.

A beautiful solitaire diamond ring gleamed from the velvet. Tim got down on one knee.

"Jenna, I have never met anyone like you, with a heart so kind. You are a loving and thoughtful person, and my greatest wish is for you to be my wife. Will you marry me, Jenna Ritter?"

Tears ran down her face. For a moment she could not get out a single word. Tim looked worried. Maybe he hadn't waited long enough!

Then she pushed away the tears and looked into his eyes. "Yes, Tim Hart. You are creative and sweet, and I love you. I would truly be very happy to have you as my husband."

He slid the ring onto her finger and kissed her hand, then stood. They embraced. Jenna's tears and a bit of make-up smudged the collar of his cream-colored dress shirt, but he didn't care.

All night long at the party they danced only with one another, refusing any other partners. The ladies admired Jenna's ring and she told the story of Tim's romantic proposal right before the party. Altogether it was a magical evening. The scent of ladies' perfume mixed with the smells of freshly-baked cookies. A little wine made the colorful lights even brighter. People told stories and let themselves get caught up in the holiday glow.

The evening whirled by. Charles would have loved it, Jenna thought with a pang. But I know he'd want me to be happy, and I know now that I can be. She let Tim take her home.

Jenna invited Tim in. "Would you like to come in for a nightcap?"

"No." He smiled, letting a little pause play with her mind. "But I'd like to come in."

"You goof," she giggled.

As soon as the front door was shut behind them, Tim took Jenna in his arms.

She pulled away. "You know I haven't ... I mean, this isn't casual for me."

Tim's response was characteristically gentle. "It isn't for me, either, Jenna. Do you not want to get married? Do you not feel ready?"

Warm feelings of renewed courage flowed through her. "Yes," she said firmly. "I do want to marry you, and ... I want to make love with you."

Charles did not make a sound as he followed the lovers to bed. This is my bed, and my wife! he thought. You don't belong here! He was surprised at the vehemence of his emotions. It wasn't supposed to be this way.

Charles watched Tim peel the dark green velvet from Jenna's body like moss from a beautiful sculpture. Now she would live again. He laid tender kisses below her collarbone. Jenna lolled back her head and moaned.

Tim murmured words of affection and desire to his fiancée as he unzipped her gown. She unbuttoned his shirt and ran her fingers through his chest hair. "Ummmm..."

Her fingertips skated over his nipples and Tim made a sound in his throat. Charles' jealousy grew as he thought of the swelling in the other man's pants. He felt helpless as Jenna reached for Tim's crotch. She was going to do it; she was going to take him in.

Tim caressed the deep emerald corset and looked into the eyes of his intended. Ever so lightly he patted the double rainbow of black lace trim. "Jenna, do you want me?"

"Yes. Make love to me, Tim, I want you."

Charles held his breath as the hooks came undone, and pretty soon the lovers were naked on the bed. Silently he circled around to stand beside his wife.

Jenna and Tim lay on their sides, each drinking in the sight of the other. They ran their hands over each other's curves and planes, exploring the warm, rosy skin.

Tim coaxed Jenna onto her back and parted her thighs. He kissed his way down her belly and nuzzled his nose in her pubic hair. "Jenna, my Jenna," he said and commenced to lap at her genitals.

The lady put her hands on his where he held her thighs. She moaned in pleasure. Her breasts slid to either side as she wiggled, accepting her new lover's ministrations.

Charles touched a fingertip to her nipple. She didn't seem to respond to his caress. He frowned. Maybe she was responding, it was just impossible to tell.

Tim wiped his mouth on her inner thigh and lifted his body so he was again level with her.

"That was wonderful," she whispered, and grabbed him by both ears and kissed him.

Charles lay down on the bed beside his wife, facing her back. He said her name and stroked a hand down her ribs. Still she seemed oblivious to his touch.

"I could take you in the ass," he whispered to her. "Make you feel me inside you while you are with him."

Jenna didn't acknowledge his words. She went on kissing Tim. She put her hand on his cock and guided him toward her fur.

"It's no use, is it, my love? You've moved on."

Charles got up from the bed as Jenna rolled onto her back. He watched Tim's cock disappear inside his wife's body. She cried out, then began meeting his thrusts with enthusiasm.

Her lubrication flowed freely. She appeared to be enjoying the sight of her man's glistening cock as it pounded into her. Charles drifted toward the bedroom window.

She whimpered out the notes that Charles knew so well. Her face twisted in passion and he thinned, and levitated away.

* * *

Disconsolate and lost, Charles knelt before Kwan Yin. In Her right hand She held the Pearl of Wisdom. In Her left arm She cradled a magical water jar, from which poured pure healing waters that soothed a weary world. The flowing stream of Her Divine Love eased all negative emotions: sadness and fear, anger and depression, bitterness, jealousy, hate. Kwan Yin hears the cries of the world.

"Holy Mother, I failed," Charles confessed. "I just wanted to be with her so much. Forgive me, I love her still."

Kwan Yin poured Her healing waters over his grieving heart. "Be at peace, My son. You will be with her again."

One silver tear slid down the man's face, deepening the scar there.

It fell through the mists of space and into the earth's atmosphere. It did not burn away, but rather, cooled as it drifted down.

Tim lay deep in slumber as Jenna stood naked at the window. She opened the sash, not minding the cold.

One silver snowflake landed on her left breast and melted there, like a fallen tear.

"Oh, Charles," she spoke toward heaven, "My love, I knew you were there. I'll always love you. I had to let you go."

* * *

Thanks to drksideofthemoon for contributing this story idea. Please vote! Thanks, L8.

12