Ginger Blue

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't know. It looks like it would cost a lot to get it going. I think I'll see what an electric mill would cost first."

"Oh, come on, Al. Think how neat it would be to have an operating grist mill. We could use it as an attraction and draw more customers in for the resort. Please, let's try."

"Ok, but I'm not spending an arm and leg on it here. We'll see if we can get the works freed up and turning before we do anything else. Then we'll see what it will cost for the other repairs."

Al and his grandfather had a small sand blaster they used around the farm. His grandfather purchased it when he was restoring old farm machinery and cars as a hobby. Al brought it to the mill and blasted all the gears and much of the other metal in the works. He did this partly to help free the working parts up, partly to see what condition the underlying metal was in, and partly for esthetics. After he had the metal clean he carefully disassembled the bearings and cleaned, replaced, and greased them. After working on the mill for three weeks in his spare time he was surprised the works turned. He brought a small generator and larger electric motor to the mill and attached them to the works. When he powered the motor up everything worked. After the mill was at operating speed Al found several places that needed reinforcement before they ran the millstones for any length of time.

Al made the reinforcements then brought some corn and wheat down to grind. Al and Angel spent two days cleaning the milling surfaces, grain hoppers, and collection bins before they began grinding. To Al's surprise and great pleasure they ground more than enough grain for a week's baking in one afternoon. They wasted a lot of grain until they learned how to set and operate the mill, but then it was smooth sailing. Sales of milled grain and bakery products continued to grow. They even purchased some pre-printed bags for the grain. They sold it under the name of "Ginger Blue Milling".

When the local population found out the mill was working people asked if they could come watch the operation. Word spread and many people came to Ginger Blue to see the mill and buy stone ground flour and meal made from locally grown grain. Sales and profits grew once again. Not surprisingly, the tourists coming to see the grist mill in operation spent money in the gift store and restaurant as well. There was a noticeable increase in food and liquor sales. Sales increased once again when the local paper first wrote an article about the reopened mill. That article caused the nearby TV station to send out a news crew. The news report on the mill generated more visitors and increased profits once again. Al actually had to hire another part time helper to keep up with demand for his milled products when a small regional four store grocery chain asked if he would sell wholesale so they could stock his flour and cornmeal.

Prudence, Angel, and Al decided to add home grown meat to the menu at the restaurant also. Angel's research showed that, depending on the cut of meat in question, they could save anywhere from a dollar to three dollars a pound by serving meat grown on the family farm instead of purchasing it. The most difficult part of the whole idea was how to store the meat after slaughter until it was used. The idea they came up with even managed to increase profits once again. They installed a meat counter in the sales area of the resort and sold fresh cuts of meat. A guest in the restaurant could even pick out his or her own steak from the meat display and have the restaurant cook it for them. Much of the meat that was not used in the restaurant was sold in the store. The only additional costs for selling the home grown meat were from purchasing a larger meat cooler and the cooled display cases. Now people who really hadn't wanted to buy a whole beef from Al could go to the meat counter and buy just the cuts they wanted or buy a quarter or half of an animal. He hired a meat cutter to butcher and wrap his meat.

They did find out the only meat they could raise and sell profitably was beef and pork however. The large commercial chicken operations could raise, slaughter and market the chicken for about half what Al could raise it for. Part of this was because of the initial cost of purchasing the newly hatched chickens and part of it was the cost of slaughter, but it was a fact. They continued purchasing their chicken from Sam's Club.

Business picked up in the restaurant soon after the introduction of Al's home grown meat. Unbeknown to them a weekend diner was a reporter for the Joplin Globe. She was so impressed with the meal served she questioned Prudence about it and the resort operation before leaving. A couple of weeks later the Sunday paper contained an article about the resort and the mill. The article stressed how great the meals were but also touted the retail shop and availability of fresh baked goods, meat and ground meal and flour straight from the farm. She was lavish in her praise and customers flocked into the restaurant after the article appeared.

Angel came to the mill one day in the fall when Al was grinding grain. She stood watching him for a while then sadly said, "You know, Al, this is great. It's really neat to see the works moving and the grain being ground, but it's just not the same with the loud generator and electric motor. I really think we should get the waterwheel fixed. I bet we could even charge admission to see it work if we did that. Maybe we could make a small park beside the stream with picnic tables for people to use while they visited the mill. Besides, it would be a lot cheaper using free water power than putting gasoline into the generator. We could even put a generator on the waterwheel and generate some of our own power for the mill and maybe even the resort if we did it right."

The main part of the waterwheel was still present. All Al had to do was repair the millrace and rebuild the wood components of the wheel. He knew when he was whipped and he was definitely pussy whipped. Angel wanted the waterwheel to work and so did Prudence. Al admitted he sort of liked the idea also, so once again in his spare time (of which he had very little) he began working on the old mill.

Finally, the day arrived when they switched to water power. This time Angel did something Al hadn't thought of the last time when they first began milling. She informed the local newspapers and TV stations that they were going to restart the old mill using water power. To his surprise there was a cameraman and news reporter from the TV station and three different reporters for papers present at the time he planned to begin operation under water power. There was even a small crowd of local residents that came to see the resurrection of the old mills water powered life.

The evening of Ginger Blue Mills return to full water power operation the six and ten p.m. broadcast news showed a segment on the old mill. There was a background article and report that products could be purchased at the resort either in bulk or as cooked bakery products. Business picked up once more. Now Al employed seven people at the resort full time and occasional part time help either in the resort or the mill or farming area.

The year after the mill began operating, Prudence and Angel had another brainstorm. They decided, without talking to Al, to prepare, serve, and sell homemade jams and jellies as well as homemade pies and cakes. They hired local teenagers to pick wild blackberries in season and made preserves and jelly. They purchased locally grown strawberries and did the same thing. Later in the year they used apples from a orchard on Al's small acreage along the river to make apple pies and apple butter to serve in the restaurant and to sell. Profits increased once more.

On January third of the second year after the mill began operating Prudence and Angel were taking a break and talking once again. Prudence asked, "Well, Angel, you are still living with Al and it's been almost three years now. How are things going with you two?"

"Oh, Pru, we're getting along like an old married couple. I don't have any complaints." Angel looked down and heaved a sigh, then continued, "Oh, who am I kidding? We act like an old married couple but we're not. We get done working and go home to sit and doze or watch TV until bedtime then we go to bed and sleep mostly. I still want to marry him and make babies, but he just goes on like we always have been. I don't think he's chasing other women any longer but he-, well, it seems like all he does now is work. Sometimes he is—, well we both are too tired to even have sex any longer. I got more cock when we were dating in high school than I do now some weeks."

"What are you going to do about it, honey?"

"What CAN I do? I moved in with him. I work with him. I love him. I just can't screw him as much as I want and I can't seem to marry him. I guess I'll just go on like I am. At least I have him now. That's what I've always wanted and a hell of a lot more than I had three years ago.

Angel sat quietly for a moment staring across the river then continued, "Pru, is something bothering Al? The last month or so he has been even more worried acting than before. Even with everything pulling us one way or another he just seems to be thinking about something besides us or the business or farm lately." Angel jerked her head up and she got a scared look on her face. She continued, "Oh, crap. You don't think he's finally fallen off the wagon do you? Shit, he hasn't found another woman and reverted to his old ways has he?"

Prudence jerked her head up and stared out the window for a short time. She didn't know what to say to her friend. Angel saw her look out the window and stare into the distance. She wailed, "OH, GOD, he HAS. He's chasing pussy again isn't he? Why didn't you tell me?"

Prudence jumped from her chair and grabbed Angel as she started to run from the room. She pulled her into an embrace and said, "Damn it, Angel, get a grip on yourself here. A minute ago you said you didn't think he was chasing pussy and now you're upset because you think he has found someone else. Make up your mind here, girl."

"I didn't say that. You did. You just looked out the window and wouldn't look me in the eye. You know something and won't tell me. I thought we were friends, Pru."

"We ARE friends, Angel. And NO, I don't know or even suspect anything. I was thinking about things and you jumped to a conclusion. When does he have time to go off chasing? One or the other of us is with him almost all day. If we're not with him his grandparents are or he is working where he doesn't have an opportunity to cheat on you. Don't you trust him at all, Angel? If you don't perhaps it's time for you to move on. You don't see him accusing you of stepping out on him with one of the guests here, do you? Now put your Big Girl panties on and straighten up."

"I'm sorry, Pru. You're right. I'm just so frustrated here. I guess half a loaf is better than none. I never really thought I would have this much."

In early March, Al Thomas, the owner of the unincorporated town and the Limited Liability Corporation of Ginger Blue smiled and rose quickly from his chair. He walked rapidly toward the small well built man that Angel showed through the door into his library. Al and several of his friends were sitting in the very comfortable chairs reminiscing before rejoining the rest of his guests at the party he was hosting. As the man entered the room Angel left to reenter the main part of their home to visit with the other guests.

Al held his hand out to shake the equally outstretched hand of the man entering the room. "Sam McKinney. It's good to see you. When Steve told me you moved back to the area I couldn't believe it. When we got out of school you swore you would never live here again. I'm glad you came. Let me introduce you to the men here you don't know, then we'll catch up on things for a few minutes before we get out to the party. I really can't take much longer because this is going to be a very busy evening for me.

Sam was introduced to the men he didn't know in the room. He shook hands with them and three others there. He graduated high school with Al and two of the three old friends. The third one was one year behind them in school but being the brother of one of their friends they still hung out together. A lot of skirts were lifted, lies told, and hunting and fishing was done with the group of friends in their younger years. Sam smiled and relaxed as they reminisced.

Finally Al looked at the ornate clock above the door into the rest of the house and said, "Well, I need to take care of a couple of things before the meal is served. Will you excuse me for a few minutes please?"

Al hurried from the meeting and moved slowly among the assembled women. He hugged one here and there, made comments and held short conversations as appropriate. All the while he was visiting with his female guests his eyes searched for Angel. He moved through the room slowly. Finally he heard Angel's voice coming from the kitchen and followed the sound of it. Angel was in the kitchen visiting with Prudence while they put together plates for the hired staff to serve their guests. Al walked into the room and put his arm around Angel. He bent and whispered into her ear, "Honey, could you come with me for a moment please. Something's come up and I need to talk to you for a short time."

"What's the matter, Al? Is something wrong?" Her eyes got big and she slapped him on the arm then continued, "Something's come up you need help with? Bullshit, honey, we don't do things like that any longer. You can just wait until we get to bed tonight!"

"No, nothing's wrong and I don't want to get you alone and ravish you, either. Well, I guess I do, but not right now. I just have something I need to do. I've put it off way too long now but I wanted to be sure I got it right before I did it. I really need you to come with me so I can do it right though."

Al led an apprehensive and very puzzled Angel outside to the edge of the deck overlooking the river. He turned her to face him. Al placed his hands on her hips and looked her in the eyes then bent forward and gave her a gentle kiss. He allowed his eyes to drift out over the moon lit river and fields for a moment then returned his gaze to Angel.

Angel was fidgeting while she watched Al. She said, "Al, what is it? What can I help you with out here? It's rude to leave our guests alone like this. Besides, if we don't get back inside quickly the meal will be cold before we serve it."

Al turned back to Angel and said, "Angel, I needed to talk to you about something. I know I have put it off longer than I perhaps should have but I wanted to be sure and I wanted you to be sure it was the right thing for us to do here. I've been a pussy hound all my life and you know that. You've been a cock crazy slut for a lot of your life, also. Some of that is my fault."

Angel stiffened and started to get angry when Al called her a cock hungry slut. Al saw her temper start to flare and pulled her to him. "Angel, hush. I'm not trying to piss you off. Please listen to me here for a minute. Now, I know you didn't trust me much when you moved in with me. Hell, I wasn't sure I trusted myself for a while. I was sorely tempted to nail some strange a time or two but I didn't. I know you have been exclusive to me too since we got back together. Pru and I had a talk several years ago that I think you should know about. She told me I was an idiot and I didn't know what I had. She told me I was hunting something I already had in front of me but I was too dumb to see it. She was right. I kept hunting for that perfect pussy, that wonderful feeling that I only got when I was with you. I never found anyone who made me feel better, either in bed or out of it, but I was too dumb to see that I already had perfection so I kept hunting for way too long.

"I know I've hurt you a lot in the past. I've waited for three years almost now to prove to you that I am changed and I know what I have now. Or at least I know what I HOPE I have. I hope I've proven to you now that I am trustworthy and that I love you AND that I will not go out and cheat on you. Angel, I need your help here now. I need you all the way in my life forever. Will you marry me, please, Angel?"

"What? Marry you? Did you ask if I would marry you?" Al nodded his head yes. Angel jumped up and wrapped her legs around him as she smashed her lips against his. After a quick but violent kiss she moved her head back and said, "YES. Oh, I had almost given up hoping you would ever ask me. Do you know I turned down two proposals from men Daddy picked for me just hoping someday you would ask me?"

Angel slowly let her legs slip to the ground and she wrapped her arms around Al. He gently pulled her arms from around him and reached in his pocket. He held out a ring to her and said, "Honey, this was my mother's ring. Would you accept it as an engagement ring or do you want to get a new one?"

"Oh, yes. Yes, your mother's ring is just perfect. Oh, thank you, Al." She held her finger out so Al could place the ring on it. After a couple more kisses the two lovers walked back into the house hand in hand.

Prudence looked up and scowled. "It's about time you got back. Your guests are seated waiting on you and I need to start serving or the food will be cold. What was so important you had to take care of it now?"

Angel looked up at Al then turned her attention to Prudence. She grinned and held her left ring finger in front of their friend's face. Prudence had a blank look for a short moment then grinned and wrapped Angel in a hug. She stepped back and looked at the two then said, "Well, it's about damn well time. What took you so long there, lover boy? Well, we don't have time now. Get out there and you can tell me about it after the party. I guess that WAS more important than feeding your guests."

While the waiters were delivering the meals Al stood beside his chair. He pulled Angel up and wrapped his arm around her. He used his knife to ring his glass until the noise stopped, then he said, "Part of the reason for this party was because Angel and I wanted to see all of our old friends. Part of the reason was to welcome our old friend Sam McKinney back home. He and his lovely wife finally realized this is the best part of the good ole U S of A to live in and moved back a few weeks ago. Another reason for this party tonight though is because Angel has agreed to be my wife."

There was a loud roar and clapping. Many well wishes were heard from friends. Unfortunately, one voice could be heard laughing then there was a loud comment, "Good one there, Al. What happens next, ya gonna strip her here for us like you did when we were in high school? I never did get any of that then, do I get it now?"

The voices stopped in an instant and all eyes were either on Al or Sam McKinney who made the statement. Al stood and started to move to Sam's table. Angel grabbed his arm and said, "No, Al. Let it be. Please? For me?"

Al stopped moving for a moment. All around him could see his pursed lips and red face. They remembered the younger Al who would fight at the drop of a hat if he felt he or a friend had been wronged or insulted or disrespected. Sometimes he would even drop the hat himself. He looked down at Angel and shook off her clutching hand.

Al moved to the table beside Sam and glared at him. He said loudly, "Sam, you're an asshole. You were an asshole in school and you still are. Angel and I were wild back then. We admit that, but hell, so were a lot of the people in this room, you included. But we never did or said anything like you just did. You know as well as I do that Angel never spread it around and she still doesn't. I'm sorry you feel like you do. Maybe it would just be better if you left tonight."