Going Down Ch. 05

Story Info
Cale shows what he's made of.
2k words
4.8
16.1k
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/16/2022
Created 08/01/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: Thanks to everyone who continues to read this story. I know it's turning out to be a long one, but I hope it will be worth it. Please continue to send feedback, I love hearing your thoughts about the story. And as always, please remember to vote if you like it! SD

*

I was drifting in a sea of darkness, aware enough to realize that something was wrong, but not enough to pinpoint what it was. I tried to move, even to open my eyes, but no matter how hard I struggled, I couldn't get my body to cooperate. It was like being buried in the sand. Oh God! What was wrong with me?

I felt the panic rising in me, and heard the distant sound of voices murmuring, one of them was incredibly soothing. I didn't understand it, but it seemed so familiar. I just knew, from that voice, that everything would be alright. I calmed and slid back into the abyss.

I had a few more experiences like that until finally, I dragged my eyes open. The task exhausted me and I let out a low moan.

There was a scraping sound beside me and the face of an angel loomed over me. He was smiling.

"Hi sweetheart."

His soft, sweet voice was full of relief.

I tried to moisten my parched lips.

"Cale."

I was surprised when my voice squeaked out, sounding like rusty nails. It was weak and I was so very tired, just from the effort of staying awake.

I blinked up at Cale. He raised a hand to brush the hair away from my eyes.

"Tired."

He nodded and leaned down to place a kiss on my forehead.

"Just rest baby, I'll be right here."

I smiled and let go, exhaustion pulling me back under.

I opened my eyes to the sound of humming. The nurse, a round little redhead, was busily changing the bag on my IV.

"Where's Cale?"

I managed to croak the question out.

She looked up at me and an enormous smile spread over her face.

"Well now, look who's awake."

Her voice was every bit as bubbly as the rest of her. I decided right then that I liked her. She poured a cup of water and brought it over to me, letting me sip from a straw. As the cool water flowed through my mouth and down my aching throat, I let out a grateful sigh.

"Oh, thank you."

She grinned and patted my hand.

"Don't you worry dear. We sent your fiancé` to get something to eat."

I raised my eyebrows. She didn't even seem to notice.

"That poor boy hasn't left your side since you got here, unless we made him."

I felt a flush of pleasure that he had been so devoted, so concerned for me.

"You're a lucky one."

She winked.

"My name's Katie, by the way. I'll be looking after you during the days when you're here. If you need anything, this is the call button."

She turned and bounced out the door. Just seeing her with her obviously endless supply of energy was enough to send me back into a deep, vicariously exhausted sleep.

Over the next few days, I woke up more frequently, and for longer periods of time. Cale was always there. My heart lurched when I noticed the dark circles under his eyes. I was willing to bet he hadn't slept more than a couple of hours a day, the entire time I'd been here.

I was also willing to bet I looked better than he did right now, and I was the one with the punctured lung, ruptured spleen and broken ribs.

"Cale."

He rushed to my side at the softly spoken summons.

"I'm here sweetheart."

I smiled at him.

"I need you to do something for me."

He nodded, his brow creasing.

"Of course Gracie, anything."

I couldn't resist teasing him a little.

"Hmm, now that's the type of fiancé` a girl needs, maybe after they let me out of here."

I cocked an eyebrow.

"You don't suppose they have conjugal visits here?"

Warmth lit his eyes, and he chuckled. I was still needling him over pretending to be engaged so they would let him in to see me. Since he wasn't family, a fiancé` was the only other person they would let in.

"Even if they did Grace, I don't think you're in good enough shape for that yet."

I made a production of looking over the IV lines and monitor attachments. Pursing my lips, I looked back up at him. I let out a dramatic sigh.

"I suppose you're right."

He laughed.

"Seriously Cale, I want you to go home and sleep."

I could see the protest forming on his lips, and I put up my hand before he could voice it.

"I'm doing better. You need to get some rest or you'll be admitted next. Go home, eat, sleep and don't show your face here until tomorrow."

He opened his mouth again, but I beat him to it.

"Don't make me take you off of the visitor's list."

His face flushed at that and I was sorry I'd made the empty threat.

I grabbed his hand.

"Baby, I'm worried about you. I know you can take care of yourself, but it will make me feel better if you'll do this for me. Please Cale."

His eyes softened and he looked at me for a moment before he finally nodded.

"Alright Grace. If it will make you feel better."

I smiled at him in relief.

"I'll see you tomorrow."

He leaned down to place a soft kiss on my lips.

"Yeah, tomorrow."

He turned and left, closing the door behind him.

Later that afternoon, there was a knock on the door, and a man and woman entered the room.

"Excuse us for intruding, Miss O'Brien. I'm Detective Grayson Monroe."

He gestured toward the woman beside him.

"This is my partner, Detective Amy Richards."

The slim, petite brunette nodded at me, her expression polite.

Detective Monroe was a tall blond man who appeared to be in his early thirties. He looked like he had been a football player in high school or college. The pair made quite a contrast.

"What can I do for you, detectives?"

I felt a little knot of apprehension building in my gut.

Detective Monroe and his partner moved further into the room.

He sat down beside the bed and took out a little voice recorder.

"We wanted ask you some questions about the accident. I brought this along because, frankly, my handwriting is impossible, and I like to keep all of my details straight."

I glanced over at Detective Richards, noting the amused lift at the edges of her lips.

"If it's alright with you, I'd like to record your statement as we go along."

I nodded.

"Of course Detective."

He nodded, and placed the little recording device on the tray over my bed.

Satisfied that he had it ready, he leaned back and started the interview.

"Why don't you go ahead and tell me what you remember about the accident."

His tone was polite and business-like. I couldn't detect anything accusatory in his tone, or in his gaze. I figured this must be routine.

I licked my lips and recounted everything I could remember up to the point that I regained consciousness here in the hospital. Cale had already told me the other driver was fine, just a few bruises.

He listened intently, going back to points of the story and asking me to recount them again. The process was tiresome, and I felt sleep begin to pull at me.

Detective Richardson noticed my fatigue and placed a hand on her partner's shoulder.

"Gray, perhaps we can continue tomorrow."

He glanced over me, realizing that she was right, that I was too exhausted to continue.

I shot her a grateful glance and she gave me a sympathetic smile.

"My apologies Miss O'Brien. Let's pick this back up tomorrow."

I nodded and let my eyes fall shut as they slipped through the door.

The next morning brought a breakfast of runny oatmeal and juice. Mmmm, my favorite. Anyone that says hospital food isn't bad was obviously never a patient. I was trying to choke down the flavorless paste, when Detectives Monroe and Richards walked in.

His gaze dropped to the tray in front of me.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your....meal."

He said the last word like he wasn't sure it really applied. I had to agree with him.

I grimaced.

"Not an interruption, so much as a rescue."

I sighed as I pushed the tray away from me.

Detective Richards smiled.

She came to perch on the edge of the bed as her partner sat in the same chair as yesterday afternoon.

"We thought it would be better to catch you early in the day, so you wouldn't be so worn out."

Her voice was warm and musical.

"Do you feel well enough to continue?"

I nodded, eager to get this done.

Detective Monroe pulled his little recorder out again.

"Alright Miss O'Brien, Can you recount the events of the day of your accident, beginning when you woke up, and continuing to the accident itself?"

I gave him a startled glance, which I then turned on his partner.

Detective Richards gave me an understanding look in return.

"Please, Miss O'Brien. Indulge us if you can."

There was something trustworthy about her. I was betting it was a hell of an asset for a cop.

I shrugged my shoulders and started through the tale of my day. I hesitated when I got to the part where I went for the coffee. They noticed, and exchanged glances.

"Is there something you don't want to tell us?"

I shook my head.

"No it's just that it seems silly, looking back on it."

Detective Monroe regarded me for a moment.

"We aren't here to judge, Miss O'Brien. Something that may seem silly could still be useful."

I nodded, still feeling foolish.

"It's just that I had this uneasy feeling as I walked back to the building, like someone was watching me."

I waited for them to exchange looks that said I was in the wrong ward of the hospital.

They did glance at each other, but it wasn't to confirm their mutual diagnosis of crazy person.

"Go on, please."

I looked at them both.

" You don't think I'm nuts?"

Detective Richards shook her head.

"Not at all, I've learned over the years that the gut instinct is usually the first thing you should listen to."

Detective Monroe was nodding his agreement.

I swallowed my surprise, and continued on with the recounting of the day, leaving out certain events in my office, of course.

When I was done, I relaxed back onto the pillows and watched them a moment.

"What's this really about?"

Both of then looked at me in surprise before their well designed masks slid into place.

"We're just investigating the accident."

The lie slid smoothly from his lips.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Detective, give me credit for being a woman of passable intelligence. It is not routine for detectives to be investigating a simple traffic accident, and I'm no expert, but this isn't the usual line of questioning for a simple traffic accident either."

I could tell they were still deciding whether or not to fill me in.

"Since this involves me, I want to know what is going on."

The two partners traded speaking looks again.

Detective Richards looked down at her hands a moment.

Her bright blue eyes pierced mine, suddenly.

"Do you have any enemies?"

I had to blink as the implication of that question took hold of me.

"I'm not sure I understand the relevance of that question detective."

I was going to make them spell it out for me.

Detective Monroe sighed.

"Upon investigation, it was discovered that your brakes were tampered with. We have been assigned to look into the possibility that you were the victim of foul play."

My blood ran cold at his words, delivered so impassively, so business like.

I was still struggling to comprehend the magnitude of such a statement, when the door opened. Cale strode in, the smile sliding from his face as he looked at me.

"Grace honey, what is it?"

I looked at him through blurry eyes, my hands shaking violently.

"I think someone's trying to kill me."

To Be Cont'd...