All Comments on 'Halloween Sucks!'

by JayDavid

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
DepopuloDepopuloover 10 years ago

I'm really not sure what to make of this, your protagonist is the type of douchebag that would be leading the nerd fraternity house in a movie like American pie beta house..... where the jocks must triumph over the oppressive nerds.....

Ridgid unfun antisocial superiority complex fucking dweeb is what he sounds like... and we're supposed to think its cool the hot chick gives up some of her own fun just to fuck him???? I know its only fiction, but really this time I cant see rooting for the guy to get the girl.... at all.

4/5 for a well written story, -1 for the simple fact that the main character should be kicked in the nads to see if maybe he finds some fun in that.

JayDavidJayDavidover 10 years agoAuthor
Depopulo

Obviously, I see it differently. I tried to write the main character as sort of a social awkward person, and the woman as someone who sympathizes with him generally, but isn't quite as repressed. And that she tries to see past his odd qualities to his redeeming ones. So, I'm sorry you had a problem with the characters, but appreciate that you thought it was well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Utterly predictable, but sweet.

Sid0604Sid0604over 10 years ago
Thank you

I enjoyed reading your story.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Predictable, 2*

SKCBaitSKCBaitover 10 years ago
Dry

I don't know if you were intentionally trying to mimic the story to the character, but this read like an instruction manual, put tab A into slot B. Kind of disappointing compared to your previous stories.

DepopuloDepopuloover 10 years ago

JayDavid

Socially awkward is one thing, seeming to look/think down at people because they're having fun and your acting like a repressed prick I don't really view as socially awkward.

Maybe I just got the wrong read on him, and its a pretty short and to the point story where you weren't gonna see any character development, so maybe you view the character from one aspect and I view him from another. As the writer don't let my opinion of your character invalidate your subjective look at your own creation. On the other hand for a shorter story, to get a visceral reaction from me or anyone else like I had about this prick shows that you did a very good job in casting him (or I just know a prick or two like this in real life who I personally oversaw in your character and I simply projected my own view of those guys onto a character that seems to share common douchebag traits :) lol ).

Either way I don't want you to construe my comments in a negative light, its hard to get me to loath a character in a short stint, and yet you did well in that light, not because of bad writing, but because of writing a character in a short story pretty well. Keep up the writing, and maybe next time your guy wont be quite the... what's the british word... ponce? lol But hey that's just my opinion on your character, well written, but didn't like him.

As for the comment about A to B, that's a little true in the guys analytical style.... but that seems to be part of the character you were trying to create. Hence my gut reaction to the guy is egotistical I'm better than you because I'm smarter than you type read.

Wasn't trying to piss on an author, just give some utterly honest feedback about a story I read. In the end, as I say to so many other authors keep on writing and I and others will keep on reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Glad they got together.

But he seemed to be a bit of a condescending jerk. Not sure what she saw in him, nor why she wanted to seduce him. I found him to be a not very appealing character.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Enjoyed it!

Others mentioned that the main character came off as a condescending jerk. I thought he came across a guy who was very strict and set in his ways. I enjoyed the story, and liked how he was seduced by Joan.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous