All Comments on 'Hell to Pay Ch. 02'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 31 Comments
bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Woodie tries his hand at another genre

and turns out a pretty good piece. Enjoyable..

Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Not

You had a good story going but you turn a trained sniper into an idiot. What happened to the alarms around the house? Or the fact that no one would believe those guys would just leave. Or that he wouldn't do inventory on his weapons? I generally love your stories, but this just turned stupid.

AeroielAeroielover 13 years ago
Inconsistent

Quote from chapter 1

Casey conversation with Dixie

Don't stop to warn anyone, don't stop to threaten them and don't stop to see if you hit anything, just keep shooting."

So much for that philosophy for chapter 2.

I agree with anonymous. How could Casey turn into such an idiot.

Pretty much ruins the story premise for me.

Your writing as a whole is excellent and entertaining.

This one not so much.

DeckviewDeckviewover 13 years ago
Casey does seemed to have dumbed out...

Walking out on the porch of the cabin and getting shot is not consistent with the earlier characterization of Casey....

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Don't tell me that an intelligent man who is trained as a sniper would leave a potential threat breathing...

Great fantasy story except I have a problem with the actions of Casey in allowing scum to live that had threatened Dixie and himself. These are not innocent colateral damage but thugs who would not hesitate to rob and kill. No matter how conflicted he might be he would follow his training and eliminate the threat.

dad2you2dad2you2over 13 years ago
Don't tell me that Casey

forgot to inventory the cabin as soon as he was inside, just like he check to make sure the guns that he had loaded were still loaded. The man must have had a lobotomy over night to be that brain dead. It made the whole story unbelievable.

happyjack921happyjack921over 13 years ago
Good Story

Your last several paragraphs makes the story interesting, but very unrealistic. A man who has done all this planning, does not make the mistake of checking is weapons, thier load, and location. Ex-military check thier arms. It's second nature, a forced habit to live by.

jimh67jimh67over 13 years ago
Not gonna read the rest

because it should alrady be over. I don't want to read a story about a supposedly deadly sniper who is willing to risk his girl getting raped and murdered because he doesn't want to hurt anybody.

Woodmanone, I generally like your stories, but this time you describe a character in a certain way and then have him behave totally inconsistently with that description. That leads to a disappointed reader

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Not one of your best ....

I'm sorry woodmanone but I think you've left way too many inconsistencies in this story.

I do like the premise of the virus but as you know not all servers host email and many would not be exposed. Also, you cannot have a virus infect your computer merely by the arrival of an email. It just can't happen. Much of the infection could have been prevented by shutting down gmail, hotmail, and warning people of the danger.

Secondly, I can maybe understand his fiance's reluctance to fire when the men first arrived, but his constant leaving of her in danger when he could have reduced the odds or taken them out to me can't be excused by his sniper experience.

Letting them leave with the knowledge of his cabin's location and that he has weaponry and C4 doesn't make sense.

Also, his not checking the weaponry in the cabin after they left strains credulity and being so confident they're out of the area that they casually stroll out of the cabin the next morning is incredibly reckless.

Well, I'm going to continue reading but I'm a little disappointed in this 2011 story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
No!

For being a trained sniper, this Casey is so stupid. This is not one of your more thought out stories. It's turned to total shit at this point

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Gotta agree with most the other comments, this story lacks credibility.

Feels like you just tacked on another suspense part to drag it out and leave a cliff hanger like some poor plot on a TV show.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
How stupid can it get?

Answer: Read this story and find out. Super-duper Sniper-man...trains and prepares for the end of civilized society and/or world. Except...he can't bring himself to kill the bad guys....EVEN after they've beaten his girl,and threatened to rape her. What kind of TRAINED soldier fires warning shots( Arrows...really?!) at kidnappers? What kind of TRAINED soldier would ALLOW any (scared/crazy) opponent to retreat back to a fortified position.......with a hostage?? I had some hope for this series. Stick to what you know. Writing semi-cuck stories,and selling Girl Scout Cookies.-BGunns

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
Not realistic at all

Yes, I know it's "fiction" but it's bad fiction. You don't get to be a sniper by not following orders. And the idea of a sniper being squeamish about killing is as corny and hackneyed as the idea of the psycho-killer. There is a time to kill, and it's not after you get shot, it's before.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Great story but stupid characters

First the woman was stupid, now the hero does something that put her stupidity to shame. First he let them live. Why was this a bad idea? Simple, they knew where the cabin was and could simply have left, gotten help and then returned and placed them under siege. Secondly how could anyone with even a lick of sense not expected the bad guys to return? To just blindly go out of the cabin without a care in the world was just too damn stupid for words.

I know that they are the good guys, but at this point in the story these two have placed themselves right on top of the Darwin Award list because they are just too damn stupid to live.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
hell 02

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
obviously a lib

Only waiting for the suggestion that they call 911 about being harassed. The invaders that is... usually it is the illegal elements that call the "authority" to force you into allowing them entrance and entertainment in your home.

Realistically, you don't stand there asking questions of someone invading your home. You fucking shoot them! DUH - Californians pretending to be war hero authors

cliuincliuinover 7 years ago
Just an observation

All smart ass aninomus , what do you know about the nightmares of a combat veteran? Do you know that many times they can't sleep normaly for years, for a sniper the enemie it's not like for a pilot, the sniper sees in the croshair the faces of the people who he kills. And if if he is not a sociopath or psihopath, killing an inocent can eat him alive, it's not like a video game when if you shoot some inocents it's ok,because you start the game again for a better record.

Yes, a former sniper can be reluctant to kill, but like a sleeping beast it's not ok to poke him because you will not like the results.

diamondrockdiamondrockover 7 years ago

Combat and PTSD If you haven't been there don't try to write about it. If you have been there you probably wont want to.

auhunter04auhunter04over 6 years ago
numb skuls

ya really gots to read the rest.

BTW how many of you ever been shot at?

sas6446sas6446almost 6 years ago
UGH!!!!!

First part of the story is great but this part sucks! Having a conscience is one thing, but in a situation like you put them in....FUCK....kill them all!!!! Now there's going to be MORE trouble because 'he had a conscience"!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
shot at

by a mig and a tank. not fun

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
UGH!

I like the story BUT....really tired of the sudo-conscience! Giving the circumstances, Kill them all without conscience!

johsunjohsunover 4 years ago

More tension, good story, scary but good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
UGH!!!!

A lesson in what NOT TO DO if confronted by a similar situation. Pseudo morality "out the window"....shoot to kill...take no prisoners!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
He

Deserved it stupid is as stupid does!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

The three hoodlums coming back was a given; Casey should have finished them off when he had the chance.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
UGH!!

I read this several times trying to find a way to like this story up till this point but I CAN'T! The premise of the story was good but Casey is a fool with his guilt and pseudo-morality. Diplomacy with 3 hoods??!!!! It nearly got Dixie raped and him killed. So let's say they do drive away and don't return. What happens to the innocent family they happen upon??? Casey should have sucked it up and killed all 3 without hesitation!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I agree with the anonymous comments left before mine. The background story with him killing a kid accidentally doesn't explain Casey's utterly stupid behaviour. There's no way he can bring the child back to life.

Given the broader context of a breakdown and the concrete situation Casey and Dixie find themselves in, they just have to decide if they really want to survive. From there on out you have to do what's giving you the best chance to achieve that goal according to your resources and your assessment of the circumstances, without any scruples toward invaders of the sort described in this story.

Also, Casey's tactical prowess is lacking. Why using a shotgun and a bow and arrows? Even his sniper rifle wouldn't have been a good choice given the situation as laid out. The three goons traipsing through a presumable quite dense wood with winding paths, his ghillie suit and an automatic type of rifle, set to "single", with a medium scope attached and some backups would have been his best bet to take the enemy out, starting with Raff. If he is as well trained and experienced as told to us Dixie would have had a very good chance to survive, story closed.

But if he had chosen the path of action that he did, how could he have NOT taken into consideration for the trio to come back? I must have a streak of masochism because I will continue to read.

Just to humour you, given the situation as described, with three not too clever captors, one hostage, the hilly woods they walk through and, as mentioned by the author, Casey being able to come quite close to them without being seen, something like the Soviet VSS Vintorez would have been a good choice. It's equipped with an integrated suppressor and a 4x scope and uses 9x39 mm subsonic ammunition. Set this thing to "single" and a well trained guy had taken out Raff and his cohorts before they knew what hit them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
UGH!!!

"First I'll try diplomacy and if that doesn't work I'll deal with them the sniper's way."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? Take the ass-wipes out immediately. No remorse.

If they are let go, they will just come back or move on to hurt someone else!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I truly enjoy your writing style and the stories you spin. In this one though, I wish you’d had the opportunity to interview a sniper before writing.

Personal experience has shown me that he does not have the mindset of a sniper. Wanting to become a sniper means you are a bit off to begin with. Once you have reached your goal and successfully completed your first mission you are never the same again. You enter a different head space and you never NEVER have a problem killing again. For any reason or situation. No matter what you have seen or done.

We are different!! Neither I or my brothers would have hesitated to kill those men. Especially for our women. It takes a special kind of women to love a soldier. And we protect t them at all cost!!

In the end, I just am unable to like this character. But please continue to write I have been a fan of your for many years.

Scout Sniper, 5th Force Recon

OooRah.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Casey acted just plain stupidly. If nothing else he should have killed all three when his girl got lose. The kids death was a tradgic event but a man like him would have prioritized her safety. Also, those guys had threatened kill her and were going rape her.

Letting go would put someone else in danger. REALLY bad plot screw up and very surprising for this fantastic author.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES