Heroes Don't Always Win

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't mind. I feel so much better after an hour in your tub," she replied. "That thing is magical."

The previous day and last night Carol Reynolds had just been someone that needed a little help. For the first time I really looked at her. She's about 5' 9, I thought. Looks like a wholesome but sexy girl next door with that dark almost black hair and those big brown eyes. Being a man I couldn't help but notice that she was full figured. Not fat, more like voluptuous. Sort of like a young Selma Hayek.

"Carol, it's not really any of my business but what's going on with you and your ex? From what Justin and Beth tell my kids this isn't the first time he's hit you."

She took a deep breath and I could see tears in her eyes. At first Carol shook her head like she didn't want to talk about it. Then she told me her story.

"Eric and I had a good marriage until about a year ago," Carol told me. "He started to complain and get on me about my weight." She sort of smiled, "I put on weight while I was carrying Beth and just couldn't seem to lose all of it. I tried dieting but that cut into my energy level and I had a family to take care of."

I handed her a box of tissues and she continued. "Like I said things were good and then Eric went from being a little out of sorts to being down right insulting. I was hurt and we argued some but finally I just ignored him when he got in one of his moods. That's when the hitting started." Carol paused for a several seconds. I sat quietly waiting for her to go on.

"At first he would slap me on the butt and say something like I was as big as a house. I didn't respond except to tell him he hurt me." Carol blushed and said, "Our sex life hadn't been good for several months. I bought a sexy night gown thinking I'd spice up our relationship if I showed him I still wanted him then things would get better." Now she stopped talking and cried. I got up and refilled our glasses waiting for her.

"The jerk said he wouldn't touch a fat pig like me." For the first time I saw Carol's temper as she continued. "Can you believe it? Here I am trying to make things better, trying to show him I still love him and he says something like that." Her voice was hard and angry.

"I lost it and told him he was an insensitive, uncaring, hurtful bastard and not a real man.....That's when he actually hit me for the first time." Carol pointed to a small scar on her cheek. "Took eight stitches to close this up. His ring cut my face."

She starred at the wall for close to a minute. "Every week to ten days Eric would come home late. He was usually drunk and would insult me. I let it go for a month or so and finally told him to stop spending so much money; it was needed to pay our bills. That led to this one," she said pointing to a scar near her elbow. "He threw a lamp at me and cut my arm.

"That was the one that pushed me over the top. I filed for divorce. He has to pay child support, alimony, and I got the house." Carol gave me an evil little smile. "It eats him up having to pay those things."

"So why the beatings now? Why do you let him come around?" I asked.

"This is the first time he hit me since the divorce. He came over drunk and started screaming about me ruining his life and that those two rug rats, that's what he call them, were bleeding him dry. I told him he was the one that ruined his life and ordered him to get out. That's when he hit me."

I saw her shutter and reached over to take her hand.

"This was the first time he hit me with his fist. It scared the heck out of me," Carol admitted.

"Don't think much of a man that would beat on a woman," I mumbled softly. Carol smiled when she heard me.

We had just finished lunch when the doorbell rang. Answering the door I saw two police officers standing there. It was the same grizzled old veteran and young police woman that had been at the hospital.

"I'm Sergeant Thomas, this is Officer Patterson," the man said. "Are you Mr. Gerard?" I nodded. "The hospital told us you picked up Mrs. Carol Reynolds, is that correct?"

"Yes I did. Her car was at her house and her children and I didn't think she should have to take a taxi home."

"We were just at Mrs. Reynolds' house but she isn't there. Do you know where she is?" The Sergeant asked.

"She's in the kitchen," I replied. I motioned for them to follow me and walked back toward the kitchen. "Why are you looking for her?"

Officer Patterson spoke for the first time. 'We're just following up on the domestic violence report we took at the hospital."

Carol looked up as the officers walked into the kitchen and her face paled. The Sergeant reminded her who they were. She nodded indicting that she remembered them.

"Mrs. Reynolds we arrested your ex husband but we can't keep him locked up unless you file a complaint," said Officer Patterson. Carol shook her head no and Patterson continued, "This isn't the first time we arrested him for beating you but without your help we can't hold him."

Patterson sighed and looked at Thomas. He shook his head. "Mrs. Reynolds at least file for an order of protection, you know a restraining order," he pleaded. Again Carol shook her head. Thomas handed her a card. "If you change your mind or need to talk to us, both our numbers are on that card. Call us please."

I walked the officers to the front door. Patterson turned before leaving and asked, "Are you two an item?"

"No, she's the mother of one of the boys I coach." I shrugged my shoulders and added, "I didn't set out to get so involved but she needed help and I couldn't just let her and her children go it alone." I smiled and said, "Besides my two kids wouldn't let me not help. They can be very forceful about something they want."

"Here," Patterson said handing me her card. "If you or she needs help call me. You can reach me at one of those three numbers, day or night." She smiled and touched my arm. "You're a good man Mr. Gerard."

I looked at the card. There were two numbers printed about half way down the card. Across the bottom portion was a hand written number with the word cell in front of it. At the top of the card was printed her name and title. It read, Patrolman Carol Patterson.

Carol? Carol? I thought. What's with this every woman I meet being a Carol?

After they drove off in their patrol car I went back into the kitchen. I sat down across from Carol. "How long has this been going on with your ex-husband?" She looked at me surprised at the question. "You really should file a complaint against him to keep him away from you."

Carol didn't say anything but continued to stare at me. "I can't tell you what to do but if he'll hit you he'll hit Justin or Beth. File charges and get a restraining order against him before he starts on the kids." I watched as indecision crossed her face and she hung her head.

"Justin is a fine young man and he wouldn't stand by and let Mr. Reynolds beat on you Carol. If he's there the next time it happens, Justin will try to stop your ex-husband. He could get hurt."

Finally Carol reacted. "No, I can't let that happen," she replied and looked up at me. "Will you call the officers and tell them I'll sign a complaint?"

I was on my cell dialing before she got finished with her question.

"Officer Patterson, this is Sam Gerard. Mrs. Reynolds has decided to file a complaint against her ex-husband.," I informed Patterson. "How does she go about it?"

I took Carol to the police station the next day and she pressed charges against her ex-husband. Then I had my attorney obtain a restraining order against him. She was a little thoughtful and quiet that evening but seemed to feel better both emotionally and physically.

On Sunday I took Carol, Justin, and Beth back to their own home. While I was there I noticed a few little things that needed tending to. One of the toilets was running constantly, the kitchen sink was almost stopped up and the filters for the furnace and air conditioning needed to be change. Just a few everyday maintenance items.

For the next month or so, the two families spent a lot of time together. Ball games, picnic, pizza and movie nights were some of the activities we shared. Carol and I went out alone a few times, nothing serious. We would go to the movies and sometimes out for dinner and a little dancing.

I know we liked each other, maybe more than liked, but we were in no hurry to push things. Carol was coming out of a bad relationship and I hadn't dated for ten years. It was almost like we were teenagers again and we took things slow. About the most romantic it got was a few good night kisses at Carol's door. Even then we acted like her mom and dad would open the door and catch us kissing.

One evening I went to Carol's to install a new set of dead bolt locks on the doors. I'd told Carol she would feel safer with the new locks. I was working in the kitchen and heard the front door bang against a wall as it was thrown open. Walking into the living room I saw a man that could only be Eric Reynolds.

Reynolds was about 6 feet and a sloppy 200 pounds. I could see the family resemblance to Justin and Beth. He was obviously drunk. He couldn't have showered recently because I could smell him all the way across the room.

"Carol, where the hell are you?" He yelled. Then seeing me he yelled, "Who the hell are you?"

Before I could answer Carol came down the stairs. "Eric, you're not supposed to be here. Go away."

"Why did you bring charges against me? We only had a little misunderstanding. I had to put up bail to get out of jail."

"She filed charges because you beat the hell out of her," I answered for Carol. Stepping between Reynolds and Carol I faced him. "I suggest you leave before we call the police. There's a restraining order that says you're supposed to stay at least 500 feet from Carol."

"You the guy she's banging now?" Eric asked with a sneer.

"That's a pretty ugly way to describe one of life's pleasures, but no I'm not 'banging' Carol. I'm Justin's baseball coach and Carol's friend," I replied. "I'll tell you one more time to leave before I call the police and you ended up back in jail." I pulled my cell phone out of its holder and flipped it open.

Eric shouted at me and Carol. I started punching 911 into the phone saying each number as I pushed it.

"Nine," I said looking Eric in the eye. "One," I continued. "Should I push the last number Eric?"

He shouted again and stormed out of the house. Carol slipped to the floor crying. I helped her up and onto the couch. "It's all over Carol. Take it easy."

Thinking I better make sure Eric had left, I went outside. As I stepped through the door something hit me across the shoulders. I went to the ground and rolled away before I stood up. Eric was winding up for another swing at me with the broom handle in his hands.

The only experience I'd had fighting was what a lot of men had growing up. As big as I am normally people don't mess with me too much. The two years I worked as a rough neck on an oil rig taught me more about fighting than any other period of my life.

Eric clumsily swung at me again. I leaned back and he missed. While he was recovering and off balance I stepped close to him and hit him with a short straight right hand. I have to admit I was really pissed and tried to take his head off with that punch. He staggered two or three steps backwards and fell down. Eric shook his head, roared, and got up.

I'd heard that some people when they're drinking don't feel pain. Don't know, never been that drunk. But that was the state Eric was in. He came back at me without the broom handle. A left jab and a right cross put him on his butt again.

"Eric, there's no need for this," I told him as I stood over him. "Just leave before one of us really gets hurt." I'd offer even money on who was going to get hurt.

Before he could get up I heard, "Hold it right there. Step back Mr. Gerard, Mr. Reynolds you just sit there." I turned to see Sergeant Thomas and Officer Patterson coming toward us. I found out a little later that Carol had called 911 and since they were the closest Thomas and Patterson answered the dispatcher's call.

The Sergeant got Eric on his feet and handcuffed him. "Aren't you going to arrest him too?" Eric asked. "He attacked me."

"First Mr. Reynolds, according to witnesses you accosted Mr. Gerard with a weapon," Thomas answered. "Second you're in violation of a restraining order preventing you from coming within 500 feet of your ex wife. So you're the one going to jail." As he was talking he walked Eric to the patrol car and put him in the back seat.

As he was being put in the car Eric yelled, "This isn't over Gerard. Next time I'll kick your ass or maybe worse."

I gave him an evil grin and motioned with my hand to bring it on. Macho bullshit but what are you gonna do?

It was two months later that my life changed. The relationship between Carol and I had progress to a few make out sessions, either at her house or mine or in the car. We hadn't slept together yet but it was on the horizon if things kept going in the same direction.

I had taken Carol out to dinner and then to a club for drinks and dancing. During dinner I'd had a couple of drinks but changed over to soda by the time we got to the club. The last thing I wanted was a D.U.I. arrest. It wouldn't be a good example to set for Sammy and Maggie.

We went back to my place and were sitting on the couch expressing our interest in each other. My kids were spending the weekend with my folks so we had the house to ourselves. We had progressed farther than we'd ever done before. Carol's blouse was unbuttoned and her bra had been unfastened. Just as she reached for my belt the door bell rang.

Moaning I stood up and went to the door. "I'll get rid of whoever it is," I told her. Carol pulled her blouse closed without fastening her bra.

I was watching Carol cover up and thinking how sexy she looked as I opened the door without looking through the peephole. The 2 by 4 hit me right between the eyes. It dazed me and I fell to the floor. Eric Reynolds stood over me with a sneer on his face.

"Try to screw my wife will you?" He yelled. "I'll show you what happens to someone that messes with what's mine."

Carol screamed and Eric turned toward her. "Just wait, you're next. I'll teach you to run around on me."

I had regained some of my senses and kicked the side of Eric's knee. He fell to the floor and I jumped on him. We wrestled around for a few seconds and he rolled away from me. During the struggle he'd dropped the 2 by 4 and now as he stood up he pulled a large hunting knife.

Eric swung at me with the knife cutting me across the ribs. As he recovered from his swing and before he could try again I picked up the 2 x 4 and hit him in the head. He dropped to the floor. Shaking my head to clear it, I went to the phone and dialed 911.

By the time the police arrived, I had taken my shirt off and was trying to stop the bleeding from the long cut across my ribs. Carol was sitting next to me on the couch softly crying and trying to help me. I could feel myself drifting and thought I must be going into shock. The paramedics walked in right behind the police.

The EMTs stopped the bleeding, put a temporary bandage on the long cut and started an IV. While one was working on me another EMT was tending to Eric Reynolds. I saw the one next to Reynolds look at the one next to me and shake his head.

A female officer took Carol into the kitchen to question her and an officer started to question me. I was a little dazed but heard a voice that I knew.

"If you wanted to see me, you could've just called," Officer Carol Patterson said as she sat next to me on the couch waving the other officer away. "Tell me what happened," she requested.

I explained about Eric's attack and my part in the fight. I told her about Carol Reynolds and me becoming friends and starting to date. Too much information but I wasn't thinking clearly. I saw Officer Patterson frown when I mentioned dating but she never said anything. The officer that had started to question me stood by and wrote notes on a pad as I talked.

After the EMT finished with me, he joined his partner tending to Eric. The officer that had been taking notes stepped closer to the EMTs and asked about Reynolds.

Looking up one of the paramedics said, "He didn't make it. His skull was fractured and he died almost instantly."

Before I would let the EMTs take me to the hospital I called my parents and explained what had happened. I didn't want them or my kids to hear about it on the radio or TV or read about it in the newspaper. After a few minutes I got Sammy and Maggie calmed down. I told my kids I would see them tomorrow and not to worry. My Mom was still on the extension and I told her there was no need of her coming to the hospital. Before leaving Officer Patterson promised to take Carol home.

The ER personnel made sure I wasn't still bleeding and that I wasn't going to pass out. I'd been in the hospital treatment room for less than ten minutes when my mother walked over to my bed. From the look on her face there wasn't any sense in arguing that she didn't have to be there.

My wound was closed with 18 stitches, I had to get a tetanus shot, and they examined my forehead where Eric hit me with the 2 x 4. The doctor explained that because I had a mild concussion they wanted to keep me overnight for observation.

I finally talked Mom into going home and promised I would call her and Dad when I was released the next day. Also they agreed to call my office. Once the hospital staff put me in a room I settled back and tried to relax. I had a terrific headache but they wouldn't give me much more than Tylenol because of the concussion. Flipping through the channels on the TV, I tried to find something that would take my mind off the headache. I gave up and turned the boob tube off.

"Not much on worth watching, is there?" Carol Patterson said as she walked into my room. "I just finished my shift and thought I'd stop by and see how you're doing."

"I'm okay, considering. It could have been a lot worse," I replied. "They say I've got a mild concussion and that's why I'm still here. Guess it's a good thing I have a hard head."

We talked for a few minutes and I got the impression that her visit wasn't official.

"Well I'll get going," Officer Patterson said. "It may get hairy the next few days, after all it was a homicide, but don't worry. I'm pretty sure you're in the clear. Reynolds attacked you in your own home and was in violation of the restraining order. Shouldn't be a legal problem for you. But call me if you need help." She said good night and left.

Carol, Patterson, not Reynolds, was right. Over the next few days, after more investigation, the police and the district attorney's office decided that I was within my rights to protect myself. I think they called it a justifiable homicide. Self defense to us common folk.

If this were a Hollywood script, Carol Reynolds and I would fall in love and live happily ever after together. We would have gotten married and raised our four children in a happy home. Unfortunately real life isn't a Hollywood story and that isn't what happened to us.

The day after I came home I let Maggie and Sammy fuss over me and then I called Carol, Reynolds not Patterson. She sounded strange on the phone and wouldn't talk for long. It almost seemed like she didn't want to talk to me.

I gave Carol a couple of days and called her again. She was sort of evasive about us getting together. Again I got the feeling that she didn't want to talk to me or see me.

After what I'd gone through, I wasn't in a mood to sit back and see how things developed. I waited until I knew that Justin and Beth were at school and drove over to her house to talk to her.