Heroes Don't Always Win

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She looked surprised and a little fearful when she saw me at her door but she did invite me in. We talked about ordinary things for a few minutes. But I hadn't come over to talk about needed repairs on her house or how Justin and Beth were doing in school.

"Carol, what's the problem?" I confronted her. "You act like you don't want to see me or even talk to me. Please tell me what you're feeling and thinking."

She sat quietly for more than a minute and I waited. Carol had been staring at the floor but raised her head and looked at me. Taking a deep breath she said, "I know you were just protecting yourself, and me, against Eric. I know that if Eric hadn't showed up that night that there wouldn't have been a problem." Carol hesitated for several seconds and I waited.

"I can't explain it," she continued. "I know Eric was a monster over the last year or so, but we had a lot of good years together. I know you didn't mean to kill him. But he's the father of my children and I just can't be with the man that killed him."

Shocked doesn't begin to explain how I felt. I'd put myself between Carol and a horrible situation, I'd almost been killed and now she couldn't stand to be with me. My first reaction was anger but looking at Carol's face I could see that she was hurting too.

I took a deep breath. "I won't try to change your mind. You can't make someone want to be with you." I paused for a few seconds. "Just know that I was falling in love with you and we could've had a good life together." Standing I walked to the door and turned. "I hope you find a way to be happy Carol. Have a good life."

**********

I'd just finished a practice with the team and was putting the gear in my SUV. It was one month since I'd had the talk with Carol Reynolds. Justin, Beth and their mother had moved back east several weeks ago to be near Carol's parents. I still couldn't understand Carol's reasoning but the hurt had pretty much scabbed over.

My cell phone rang and I answered. "Sam Gerard."

"Hi Sam. This is Carol Patterson. I thought I'd follow up on your situation," she said. "Are your ribs healing up?"

"Yeah, the ribs are almost healed. The doctor says they'll be a scar but it won't be too horrible." I was surprised at how happy I was to hear from her.

There was a sort of awkward silence. "I'm glad you called, it's nice to hear from you," I offered.

"Oh hell," Carol said. "I didn't call to talk about your injury. It's embarrassing but I thought that if you wouldn't call me then I'd have to call you. So here I am."

Hesitating for a couple of seconds I said, "I think we should get together over dinner tonight to talk about your embarrassment and my stupidity. I should have called you earlier."

Two days later after finishing dinner I said, "Carol went back east to be near her parents. Before she left she told she couldn't be with the man that killed her children's father." I had to stop for a few seconds.

"But it was self defense. You probably saved her life," Carol Patterson said.

Nodding I said, "I know and even she knows but she can't get around it. So she left."

I looked her in the eyes and said, "Maybe it's a little early to say this but the only reason I didn't call you is I was afraid you would think you were my second choice. You're not. At the time we first met, I was developing a relationship and I'm not the kind of guy that can juggle women or my feelings."

Carol smiled and took my hand. "I can appreciate that but there's no need to hesitate now. Is there?"

**********

In real life heroes may save the fair damsel in distress but they don't always win her heart.

However, sometimes the heroes win someone more important...hopefully forever.

The End