Hiking Buddy Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RalphyNJ
RalphyNJ
141 Followers

Dan chuckled. "Ibelieveyou've had experience at it. Everyone was impressed by how you faced him down."

"They were? How do you know?"

"I heard the nurses talking about it outside my door. I think the whole hospital has heard about it by now. No one likes him because he's so arrogant. They were all saying how much they admire you for taking him down a few pegs. You're such a celebrity that when a nurse came in today and saw you sleeping, she hurried out and I heard her telling everyone on the floor to be quiet".

He chuckled again before going on: "I have to tell you this too: I heard the nurses saying how cute you are." And he blushed.

Seeing Dan blush as he told me that, I think I blushed too. To cover my embarrassment I blurted out: "I'd throw this magazine at you, but it might hit the ankle".

"That wouldn't hurt it" he countered. "It's in a cast."

So I threw the magazine.

It missed him completely. We both laughed.

"You know," I said, "this is the first time I've heard you laugh since the accident."

"I guess it's the first time I'vefeltlike laughing" he answered. "The surgery is over, andyou'rehere." Then he asked: "Why did you want to stay overnight?"

"So you would know I was nearby if you needed reassurance. And I wanted to see you in the morning before they took you to the operating room so I could remind you that I'd be here when you came out. I'm sorry I overslept and didn't get back in time".

"Hey!" he protested, "With all you've done, you're actually apologizing that it wasn't evenmore? You've been a godsend! I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am. I love ... everything you've done. Please don't think it wasn't enough."

The pause after the word 'love' caused me a pang of, I wasn't sure what. Fear? Hope? Had he been about to say that he lovedme? The possibility was simultaneously intriguing and frightening. If hehadsaid it, how would I have responded? I certainly cared very much about him, but I didn't even want to give thought to the possibility that I might love him.

Again I changed the subject: "So what have you been doing while I've been in dreamland?"

"I was sleeping too, most of the time. I think it's all the stuff they give me for the pain."

Dan told me that he had been served dinner. He insisted that I get something to eat. "I'll be fine."

I went down to the cafeteria but it was closed for the night, and there were no more sandwiches in the vending machine. I went back upstairs.

It was already well past visiting hours, so when the Nursing Supervisor called to me as I passed her desk, I expected to be told that I had to leave. Instead, she said: "You certainly ate fast."

I told her that the sandwich machine was empty, and then I continued to Dan's room.

About ten minutes later a nurse came in with a sandwich and a bottle of juice. I thanked her and asked what I owed. She said there was no charge because the food was excess from the day's supply of patients' meals.

When the nurse was gone, I showed Dan that the sandwich was actually the halves of two different sandwiches, and also pointed out that patients' meals do not consist of sandwiches. "I think that some nurses gave me part of their lunches" I told him.

"That wouldn't surprise me" he said. "They really like you."

That touched me more deeply than I would have expected.

I was allowed to stay another hour, but eventually the Supervisor came in to say that the night shift was coming on and I would have to leave. She said that if Dan's vital signs remained good, he would be released the next afternoon. I told her where I believed the sandwich and the drink had come from, and asked her to express my gratitude to whoever had given up part of their meals. She just smiled and said that she hoped I had enjoyed it.

I looked at Dan. He was smiling too: "Itoldyou they like you" he said. "Now although I love ... having you here, go home and get a good night's sleep. I'll be ok, thanks to you."

Again the pause after 'love'.

At home, I kept thinking about how Dan had acted that day: He had blushed when he told me that the nurses thought I was cute. And he had not said that it was justniceto see me when he woke up, he had said that it waswonderful. "Wonderful" was the word he had used.

I fell into a blissful sleep.

Chapter 6 – Arrangements

The next day was Monday. After a shower and a quick breakfast I called in to work and told them about Dan's accident. I said that he would be staying with me for a while, and that I would be taking a few vacation days to get him set up. Then I spoke to the Human Resources Department and arranged for his medical leave.

When I got to the hospital, I drew up a chair next to the bed and told Dan about the arrangements I had made.

"You're amazing!" he said. "You think of everything! Thank you."

"No thanks necessary" I told him.

He fell silent for a minute. I studied his face and asked: "What's wrong? What's troubling you?"

He grinned and shook his head. "So I'm that transparent, at least to you. Well ... there's something I've been wanting to tell you, but I don't know what you'll think".

"There's one way to find out" I urged.

"Okay" he said, and began, somewhat hesitantly: "When I was very young, from time to time I'd think my mother was getting fat. Then she'd leave for a day or two and come back with a little baby. Some of my friends had big brothers, but I only had sisters, so not understanding about birth order I hoped that at least once instead of a baby my mother would bring home a big brother for me. I even asked her for one. She said that it wasn't possible, and when I asked why, she just said I'd understand when I was older.

"By the time I was grown, I had forgotten all about that wish. OrthoughtI had. You see, I've been pretty much satisfied with my life except for one thing: It always felt as if there was an empty place inside me, and I couldn't figure out why. Thenyoubefriended me. You spent time with me, you invited me to go places with you. Any time I need advice, I can always come to you. You teach me things. You stick up for me. And I don't know how I could have gotten through these past few days if not for you".

I started to point out that if I had not taken him on that hike, he wouldn't have had to go through the pain and anguish of those past few days.

Before I had spoken the first few words, he put up a hand to stop me. "Last night, as I was thinking about how I can never thank you enough for all you've done, it dawned on me that the empty feeling is gone. I don't think it's been there since you took up with me."

His gaze was adoring as he said "There was an empty place because I was still wishing for that big brother, and now it's gone because I've found a big brother in you. Anyway, that's how I see you. I hope you don't mind".

"Mind? Oh Dan" I said, "Ilovethat you think of me as a big brother. And stop thanking me; I like doing things for you."

Hearing that, he grew radiant. "I know you're not out for thanks, but it's my way of saying that I don't take you or anything you do for granted".

I stayed with Dan the rest of the day. They released him late that afternoon, and while he was signing papers and reading post-surgery instructions I got my car from the Visitors' parking lot.

They brought him out in a wheelchair (hospital policy). Lying across the arms of the chair was a pair of crutches.

I helped Dan into the car, made sure he was buckled up, put the crutches in the trunk, and we started out.

When he saw that I had passed his street, he said "You missed the turn."

"I didn't miss it."

"We just went by my street."

"I know."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Dan turn a puzzled face toward me as he asked: "Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you tomyplace. Until the cast is off, you won't be able to do much without help. You can stay with me until then."

His eyes lit up. "That'll be great!" he practically shouted. "I promise I won't be much trouble."

"Don't worry about that" I said. "Your job is to get plenty of rest and concentrate on letting the ankle heal."

We rode in silence for a few minutes, and then he declared: "I can help out around the apartment. I'll clean and straighten up while you're at work."

"I'm not bringing you home as a live-in housekeeper" I told him, "and I don't want you to reinjure that ankle. Remember what they said about staying off it."

"I'll be careful" he promised.

"Amazing" I remarked. "I thought I knew you well, but I've just learned something Ididn'tknow. You may be a grown man, but on the inside you're a stubborn little boy." I smiled and adventurously gave his thigh a quick squeeze as I jokingly warned him: "If you don't behave, your big brother will have to put you over his knee and give you a spanking."

"What?" he asked, "No consideration for my poor, injured ankle?" His eyes were wide in seeming alarm, but he was grinning.

"Oh your ankle will be safe" I informed him. "That's not what I'll spank."

I had expected that when I threatened to spank him I would get a retort such as: "You and what army", but his reply had been submissive rather than combative. I wasn't sure what that might mean.

END OF PART ONE

If there's sufficient interest, I'll post Part Two, the conclusion to the story.

RalphyNJ
RalphyNJ
141 Followers