How Life Can Change Ch. 02

Story Info
The Continuning Story of Family.
3.5k words
4.15
15.5k
1

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/08/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Authors Note: Thank you for reading my story. Any critics or advice you have are always welcome. Please feel to send them along I read and take it in to consideration. Please feel free to rate my stories.

There are no graphic sexual descriptions in this story. All Places and People in this story are completely fictional and over eighteen years of age.

As always enjoy.

_________________________________

It took about 2 weeks to finalize to sell of the 100 acres of land to Mr. Smith's company and about another month for us to take down and rebuild our fences but we got it done as a family.

The next morning after we finished that project at breakfast I asked everyone a question.

Do you think we might need to get some newer guns?

You see our father had bought all of us the same guns, a cap and ball black-powder colt pistol and a sharps carbine rifle. While they were good weapons they did have some problems.

Art said, "Well if people are going to keep coming out here and trying to take what is ours then yes."

Everyone agreed with that statement.

Leah then said, "Why don't we go into town and see Mr. James and buy some of the new weapons that use those metal cartridges?"

You mean that you think we have not seen the last of trouble here Ed asked?

No I think not Ed, I said. So after breakfast we all rode in to Jacksonville to see Mr. Smith, A man that was in his early fifty and baled as a babies butt. He had brown and was short and stocky. He was the local gunsmith. As we rode in town we could see all of the eyes were on us, but we made to the smith without any problems.

As we walked in the door Mr. James asked what I can do for all of you.

Well we think we need to upgrade our weapons, I said, like to some guns that use the new 44-40 cartridge. Mr. James asked, do you all want the same weapons or different. I sold all of your guns when your dad brought you in and he made sure you all got the same things. I think we can all decide what we want, I said.

I already know what I want, Ed said. I want one of those New Remington Army pistol and A Winchester model 1873 both chambered in 44-40 with the extra cylinders.

Leah said that what Ed was getting would work for her and so we all ended up with the same thing again. I guess that is the way our father would have wanted it, and as luck would have Mr. James just happened to have four sets of those weapons in stock. It took a little haggling but with all of our trades and about 1000 dollars in cash we all walked out with the new weapons and four boxes of shells each.

As we were putting our new rifles and boxes of shells in a saddles a shot rang out, and all I could see was three men wearing long black coats holding weapons moving toward their horses to try and get away after shooting as us. Not until I heard Leah yell did I realize that someone had been hurt. Looking down I saw her holding my brother Art who had a gunshot wound to his chest and was dying. The next I know here Sheriff John "Popo" Childress (Popo is what my father always called him I never find out why) comes on his horse a very high rate of speed. What happened? Popo asked. Three men in long coats just shot and killed my brother Arthur and I am good after them. Now and don't go doing anything really stupid, said Popo. How can you of all people expect me not to go after these people, someone has had my parents killed and now my brother has been shot and killed right in for of my two younger siblings, I said. So either you can help me catch these people and maybe have to kill them or I am going catch them and for sure kill them, I said.

So what it's going to be sheriff, I asked?

Ok I'll help you but we are going to take them alive if possible, Popo said.

That will work along as they will tell us who hired or why they are killing my family, I said.

The Undertaker got there and asked where do you want to bury him at? Leah said, by Mom and Dad out on our ranch. How long does it take you to get the body ready to be buried, I asked. About three days said the undertaker. Ok good I said. I then asked the undertaker how much we would owe him to get Art ready to be buried. The undertaker said, twenty dollars will cover all of it and that includes me digging the grave by your parent's feet. I said good and wait for us to get back before your bury him and gave the undertaker the twenty dollars.

After the undertaker took the body and Leah, Ed and I composed ourselves. We all looked at Popo and then Ed said let's get these bastards!

So we mounted our horses and took Art's Weapons and horse for extra just in case.

Just as we left town, Popo said I've got their trail and it leads off to the west.

It was about noon when Art had been shot so after getting him taken care it was about three o'clock when we left to go after these bastards as Ed put it. So we had been tracking them for about four hours when we started to hear noise coming from a camp just a little ways ahead of us. The camp was in a small wooded area that we all knew very well. Three men had a nice sized fire going which help us see all of them and meant it would be tough for them to see out of the camp.

I expected to just ride up and take them now but Popo said, "Let's wait until after dark and then we will surround the camp and move in on them.

I said that sounds good so we stopped and wait for what seemed like forever for it to get dark, but actually it was only about forty-five minutes.

I had just started to get dark when Ed asked, Popo how are we going to do this?

Popo answered, well we can do it a couple of ways, one just ride in fast and hard surprising them but the way someone could get hurt. Two we spread out around the camp at in as best as we can a diamond formation. He was drawing with a stick in the dirt as he was taken and then we close to circle around the camp. Just remember if we do it that way not to shoot each other and not to get too close to the camp until after I say. I will do the talking and not let them know just how many of us there really are.

Okay let's do it the second way and we can cover you with our long guns, I said.

There was a full moon so it was not hard to see when we all got into position and were ready to get this show on the road. As we closed into about fifty yards away from the camp and stopped.

Popo walked closer to the camp and then yelled, "Hello the camp. May I come in?"

Come ahead said a voice from the camp.

So it was that Popo walked up to the camp with his Greener double shotgun at the ready.

Popo got the camp and said DON'T MOVE YOUR ALL UNDER ARREST FOR THE MURDER OF ARTHUR SCOTT!

I saw a flash as one of them went for a weapon. I took aim and fired hitting in the chest. The man I shot was dead before he ever hit the ground.

Popo said, what do you think I am that stupid to come after three gunmen all alone?

One of the gunmen said, that was just Joe and he always did do dome really stupid things and it finally caught up with him. So what's going to be fellers, asked Popo?

You can either drop your weapons or my deputies can shoot you down right where you stand as you have already seen they can shoot, said Popo.

It did not take them long too decided but they surprised me by decided to drop their weapons and letting Popo tied their hands. After he tied their hands Popo yelled ok deputies you can come into the camp now.

As Leah, Ed and I enter the camp three men got really scared and said what are you going to do to us?

Popo said, nothing if you give us the information we need.

What information do you need, asked one of the men?

Well first who in the hell are you, I asked.

I am Jesse and this is my brother James.

It was at that point that Leah rush over to the one named Jesse and punched him dead square in the nose. She then screamed Jesse fucking Durham, I thought that was you. What the fuck are you doing here and why are you helping these people kill off people you grew up with, Leah asked, about ready to beat the life out of this man that I now recognized, but I still did not recognize this James feller.

Ed was making sure that his pistol was loaded and ready when the one called James that I had never seen said what is he doing?

I answered getting ready to shoot you if you don't talk and quick.

Leah hit Jesse again and screamed for Ed to shoot them.

Ed started walking toward them when they said ok we will tell you anything you want to know just don't shoot us please.

Ok Ed let's what they have to say and then maybe you can still shoot them, said Popo. Damn I was just going to say that, I laughed and said. I said James you are a smarter man than you appear to be.

James said what would you like to know?

First I want Jesse to answer Leah's questions.

James looked to Jesse and said you better start talking quick.

At this point I walked calmly and slapped the ever loving shit out of Jesse's mouth.

So why kill my family when you needed money Jesse? I asked.

I was hired by a man in Little Rock named Fuller to kill your entire family.

Oh Shit that explains a lot, I said.

To which everyone looked at me and asked what?

Mr. Joe Fuller has been trying to get our ranch as long as I can remember and Dad would never even think about his offer to buy the ranch.

Why asked, Popo.

First it was always a well known fact that our ranch was a family heirloom. Second the offer was always just so damned small that it was not even worth it thinking about.

I know that Fuller has tried at least five or six times to buy the Flying S ranch and he has always been told hell no.

Popo then asked James and Jesse would they testify in court against Mr. Fuller if they could get avoid being hung for the murders.

Yes both of them said.

I then asked Popo how much time these two would do if that happens.

More than likely no more than fifteen years, said Popo but Fuller would hang and all of this would be over with.

Mr. Joe Fuller was a man who stood five feet tall and was wider than he was tall and a balding and black beanie eyes. He was a rich Lawyer in Little Rock, AR at the time.

Popo had Jesse and James write statement of what they had said, just in case something happened to them on the way back to town, but promised they would make back to Jacksonville in one if he had anything to say about it.

We made it back to town with no problems.

Popo then sent a telegram to Little Rock to the Chief of Police there to have Mr. Joe Fuller arrested and that he would be down to get him arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit capital murder.

Capital Murder or Murder in the First as it would be called in some places has only two possible punishments: Life without Parole or Death.

Popo heard back the next day that Mr. Fuller had been arrested and was in jail.

So Popo took his two prisoners and went to Little Rock, AR to have them arraigned on the charges.

All three defendants were held over for trial in the county jail.

The trail was set for one month later.

During the next month we had a lot to do on the ranch and with hopefully no delays we could be ready to go to Little Rock, AR for the trail.

The day after we got back we lay Arthur Scott to rest by Mom and Dad.

The rest of the month was spent getting our cattle that were going to sell at the market ready and then getting them to market. Thankfully we did not have to get far to get them to the railhead at Jacksonville.

While we were gathering the heard a saw something very special happening n front of my eyes. Leah had always been good friends with Jim Young (age 21) (one of the three full time hands that dad had hired to help work the ranch and our foremen's oldest son) but now when would make camp they would spend all of their time together. When were on horseback they would work together and do so quiet well I might add.

Our foremen James Young had three kids two girls and of course Jim. The two girls were named Kerri and Diane.

Kerri (age26) was about a year younger than me and as good a looking woman as I have ever seen. She stood about five feet three inches and weighs about one hundred and forty pounds, with red hair and deep blue eyes that you could get lost in. Not that I was looking for someone as this point in time but I started to think about Kerri more and more and started to want to get to really know her.

So as we made camp the only night of our cattle drive I walked to Kerri who was helping mother at the chuck wagon cooking as ask could we go for a walk.

Much to my delight she said yes but only after her mother told her to go on.

As we walking down by the stream we were camped by talking I heard some strange noise coming from some bushes.

I ask Kerri very quietly what she thought it was and she I know what it is and are you that damned slow as to not know that it is.

I answered I guess I am that slow but what is it?

She said come on and we slow and very quietly made our way over to the edge of the bushes to see what was going on.

When we got to the bushes and look I saw what I did not expect to see. Leah and Jim were kissing and touching and about that time Jim Started to UN button Leah's Blouse and play with breast. I started to stop them but Kerri grabbed my arm and pulled me back from them and we walked a short distance away.

When Kerri turned to me and said I have always want to be with you and you can do what Jim is doing to Leah with me if you want to.

I was very happy but also shocked because I had never thought that Kerri liked me enough to even think about her in that way.

I then took Kerri in my arms and kissed very gentle and then pulled back and kissed her again more passionately. We stood there kiss for a while until we heard Jim and Leah start back toward camp and then we stopped and said We know what you to were doing and I ask Jim what his intentions were with my sister?

Jim answered I was going to talk to you about that because I am in love with your sister and wanted to get your permission to ask her to marry me.

Well I can't say I need to be asked but if I did I would say it this way.

I think our parents would be proud to have you in the family and would gladly give you permission to marry Leah, but you know one thing if you ever hurt I will come down on you like no one has ever seen before.

I held Kerri back a little ways behind Leah and her new fiancé Jim and ask her would you ever consider marrying me?

We have always been good friends and I wish I would have known you felt this ways about me years ago. I would not have waited this long to ask you spend time with me.

Kerri said, well I will marry you but you have to go and talk to my father and ask for his blessing and then we will let them know.

I was so happy and a little scared that I almost ran to talk to James.

Unknown to anyone at the time the two babies of this outfit were getting involved also.

Ed and Diane were keeping good secret from all of us and in love.

Diane (age19) stood five feet and weighs one hundred and ten pounds with red hair and blue eyes.

So as I was headed to talk to James I met up with Ed and ask where he was going?

I am going to talk to James about married Diane, Ed said.

I started Laughing and said that is funny but I am on my way to talk to James about marrying Kerri. Ed just started laughing and then James walked up and asked what is so funny?

Once we calmed down we said that we were both coming to talk to you about marrying your daughters.

James said oh really, well I could not be happier at least I know my girls will be taken care of.

It was my turn to have some fun with someone and I explained that all of your kids will be getting married soon because Leah and Jim want to get married also. He asked me as I am the oldest relatives Leah has left. I am also happy about it because I have known Jim all of his life and he is a very good man.

So with that all settle everyone had a very happy dinner and went to sleep so we could get up early and finish the drive to the railhead at Jacksonville.

We were able to get back home and then get to little rock for the trial the day before it started.

Mr. Joe Fuller had hired some hot shot lawyer Name Mr. John Ringgold to defend him. He tried to get separate trials but did not have any success and then trail to just talk until everyone would get tired and not care anymore but thankfully the judge told him to him shut up. The trial took three and when it came time for the verdict to be read Mr. Ringgold tried again to delay it but he was to shut up or face contempt of court charges.

The Judge asked each defendant did they have anything they wish to say before he passed sentence on them. Each one said, no sir.

Jesse Durham was sentence to fifteen years in the state prison at Little Rock.

James Durham was sentence to fifteen years in the state prison at Little Rock.

Mr. Joe Fuller was sentence to death by hanging for conspiracy to commit capital murder and master mining to whole operation. The sentence was carried out three days later at the state prison at Little Rock, AR where during the civil war 17 year old David O'Dodd was hung for being a confederate soldier.

We returned to the ranch and started getting ready for the weddings, but that is another story for another chapter.


TO BE Continued..........


Authors note: David O'Dodd did really die by hanging in the civil war. He was a kid who the union thought was a spy for the confederacy and so at the age of seventeen. He was hung. The site of where that took place is now where the state capital sits. The Prison was torn down in the late 1800's and the capital was built.